Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MAY I  (Read 14512 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: MAY I
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

Does anyone (Again I guess, Ginny, plus John G.) have any ideas for cleaning the grout between bathroom tiles.  With my back problems and the arthritis  in my hands, I have no power to scrub any longer.  I need something strong.
Ovaltine?  ;D
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »

Does anyone (Again I guess, Ginny, plus John G.) have any ideas for cleaning the grout between bathroom tiles.  With my back problems and the arthritis  in my hands, I have no power to scrub any longer.  I need something strong.

http://www.zap-restorer.com/?leadsource=PS136&s_kwcid=TC|6221|zap%20cleaner||S|e|5723576539&gclid=CJu3qsf_x6gCFQkSbAodymJZpA

Keep the windows open.  In the shower for the small area I need it (we put in a fake marble, not exceptionally beautiful but extremely easy to clean) I use a small scrub brush.  I don't need to scrub too hard with it.

We need to clean the grout between the tile on the floor.  I read Borax is good but I expect scrubbing will be required.  I'm curious what responses you get to this question.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... I headed back out. Took the 6 Train down to Spring St, then walked through the eastern part of SoHo.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »

Then I continued walking east through the northern edge of Little Italy into Chinatown. I stopped into Prosperity Dumpling for some Pork & Chive Dumplings - 5 for a $1! - as well as a Sesame Pancake - also just a $1! Then I noticed a small Chinese bakery I hadn't seen before: an Almond Cookie and a Lao Bo Ping ("Wife Cake") - both for a whopping 60-cents!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

My friend, Yosh, came home earlier and wanted to make a trip to The London Candy Co. -Once I told him that they served Ovaltine, well... So we had Ovaltine and split an apple pastry. And that's basically all I've done over the past two hours. I am going to attempt to head out again and do a bit more... Or something. ::)

I never thought I'd hear someone say they were going out for Ovaltine! I can understand it, but never expected to hear that.

;D  I do not like Ovaltine. 

Was anyone ever able to get Ovaltine to dissolve in the milk?

I never liked the taste but I don't recall it was lumpy.  My mother drank it & I often mixed it for her.  I tried it again years later when Bryan came home asking for it & said it was better for me than chocolate. 

It wasn't that it was lumpy.  It was just when you got to the bottom of the glass / cup, half the granules were still sitting there.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »

Is the Ovaltine that medley they play before a musical about chocolate?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »

Then I decided to check out some of the side streets in Chinatown I hadn't checked out before. Then I looped back up to the Lower East Side via Henry Street. Once I got back up to Stanton Street, I stopped into Souvlaki GR to say "Hi!" to the owners. I didn't stay for any souvlaki or bifteki, but the owner gave me some Greek chocolate bars for the road. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »

Then I continued walking east through the northern edge of Little Italy into Chinatown. I stopped into Prosperity Dumpling for some Pork & Chive Dumplings - 5 for a $1! - as well as a Sesame Pancake - also just a $1! Then I noticed a small Chinese bakery I hadn't seen before: an Almond Cookie and a Lao Bo Ping ("Wife Cake") - both for a whopping 60-cents!

I love almond cookies.  I've never had one I purchased at a Chinese bakery.  Was it exceptional?  I had to look up Wife Cake.  What was the filling in yours?

Jane

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

My friend, Yosh, came home earlier and wanted to make a trip to The London Candy Co. -Once I told him that they served Ovaltine, well... So we had Ovaltine and split an apple pastry. And that's basically all I've done over the past two hours. I am going to attempt to head out again and do a bit more... Or something. ::)

I never thought I'd hear someone say they were going out for Ovaltine! I can understand it, but never expected to hear that.

I never liked the taste but I don't recall it was lumpy.  My mother drank it & I often mixed it for her.  I tried it again years later when Bryan came home asking for it & said it was better for me than chocolate. 

It wasn't that it was lumpy.  It was just when you got to the bottom of the glass / cup, half the granules were still sitting there.

;D  I never got to the bottom of a glass of Ovaltine.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:27 PM »

...And then I made it back here in time for "The Amazing Race".
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »

Ovaltine, hit the lights. This is it, the night of nights ...
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »

http://www.zap-restorer.com/?leadsource=PS136&s_kwcid=TC|6221|zap%20cleaner||S|e|5723576539&gclid=CJu3qsf_x6gCFQkSbAodymJZpA

Keep the windows open.  In the shower for the small area I need it (we put in a fake marble, not exceptionally beautiful but extremely easy to clean) I use a small scrub brush.  I don't need to scrub too hard with it.

We need to clean the grout between the tile on the floor.  I read Borax is good but I expect scrubbing will be required.  I'm curious what responses you get to this question.

Thanks for the idea, Jane.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »

DR Jose how does Greek chocolate compare to good Swiss chocolate or our chocolate?

Jane

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »

I couldn't quote Jose's post about the chocolate & then it took two attempts to post my comment.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »

DR TCB let me know if you try Zap & if so if it works.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »

Then I decided to check out some of the side streets in Chinatown I hadn't checked out before. Then I looped back up to the Lower East Side via Henry Street.

No it ain't Broadway it's Henry Street.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »

Ovaltine, hit the lights. This is it, the night of nights ...

Maybe before a performance of COCOA?

John G.

« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »

Found some interesting CDs today in the markdown bin. Sylvia Syms' tribute to Johnny Mercer, Portia Nelson and a real oddity, a musical version of "The Scarlet Letter." ("Gimme an A ...")
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »

I love almond cookies.  I've never had one I purchased at a Chinese bakery.  Was it exceptional?  I had to look up Wife Cake.  What was the filling in yours?

DR Jane - The interesting thing about a lot of the Almond Cookies at the Chinese bakeries here in NYC - and elsewhere - is that they are topped with Walnuts - ??? They're basically like large shortbread cookies with ground almonds mixed into the dough... And then topped with walnuts. ;)

The Wife Cake was filled with winter melon and sesame seeds.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »

I had a couple of errands to do in town today.  Since it was such a nice day we took Sherlock and walked around.  We had expected difficulty finding parking and lots of foot traffic as the yearly TASTE OF ASHLAND was going on.  To our amazement we didn't find either.  It is a two day event so I hope yesterday was packed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »

DR Jose how does Greek chocolate compare to good Swiss chocolate or our chocolate?

Well...

The Chocolate-Hazelnut Wafer bar lasted about a block. ;)

And the bar of Milk Chocolate is quite good too. I'm rationing that one out. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »

DR Jane - The interesting thing about a lot of the Almond Cookies at the Chinese bakeries here in NYC - and elsewhere - is that they are topped with Walnuts - ??? They're basically like large shortbread cookies with ground almonds mixed into the dough... And then topped with walnuts. ;)

I'm not sure I would like the "almond" cookies.  Do the restaurants serve traditional ones?   I am curious to taste a small piece of Wife Cake if the opportunity arises. 

Jane

« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »

You know I would have to give away, or not accept, the hazelnut bar.  The chocolate is pretty traditional then? 

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »

DR Cillaliz re: the e-bike. I've seen a few demonstrated on tv. And I really thought that you could use the motor only and not drain the battery. I thought it had many miles before it would drain.

you can't drive 5 miles using the pedals nad then just motor it home?

I suppose you could.  I'm catching on a bit better now.  If you break it stops the motor and you have to start it again. When you go downhill you don't need it.  It was better today, but the wind was way too strong to be out there.  It has been stopping on me just as i almost get to the top of the hill, I think I'm doing something wrong.  I'll figure it out

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

I'd start of by wiping, scrubbing off what you can. Then...

If you have an extra spray bottle, just fill it with a diluted bleach solution. Give the grout a few spritzes after you shower - or a couple of minutes before you shower. Do that daily. The bleach solution should eventually whiten things up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »

You know I would have to give away, or not accept, the hazelnut bar.  The chocolate is pretty traditional then? 

The chocolate it pretty traditional. They're just made in Greece.

They have a Greek newsstand set up in the front of their restaurant. Magazines, newspapers, candies, chocolate bars, and packaged croissants(?!?). Even though the products are real, they are just there for display. None of it for sale - at least legally. So... From time to time, Pavlos and Abby give away some of the items. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »

I'm not sure I would like the "almond" cookies.  Do the restaurants serve traditional ones?   I am curious to taste a small piece of Wife Cake if the opportunity arises. 

I think you would like the Wife Cake, DR Jane. It's basically a pastry filled with a not-so-sweet filling. Think of it as a smoother and lighter version of prune or apricot filling.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »

Back to LA on the 12th.

bk - Any plans for the 11th? Are you going to try to catch a matinee and/or evening show?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

It always dissolves better in warm/hot milk than cold. However, I always liked the "sludge" at the bottom of the cup. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

DR Jane - Are you also not a fan of malted milk?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up