Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ARRANGEMENT  (Read 11627 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE ARRANGEMENT
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »

I am so happy that my friends Larry Blank and Larry Hochman have been nominated for Tony Awards for best orchestrations. I hope one of them gets the award. They've both deserved it for some time.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:22:21 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »

I am so happy that my friends Larry Blank and Larry Hochman have been nominated for Tony Awards for best orchestrations. I hope one of them gets the award. They've both deserved it for some time.

Evidently being named Larry determines your career path.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »

Evidently being named Larry determines your career path.  :)

At least two of the three Larrys have careers going well!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 07:40:11 AM »

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 07:42:08 AM »

Other big name snub is Chris Rock, who was initially suppose to be THE MOTHERF*CKER WITH THE HAT's reason for being.

Think they'll still get him to host the Tonys?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:38 AM »

And there's the missing Robin Williams, too.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »

Kathleen Turner...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »

Looks to me that Best Featured Actress in a Play is the most competitive category this year.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »

Frankly, I was surprised "Catch Me ..." got a nod for best musical. The Tony nominators usually pick something bizarre, like "Women on the Verge ..." or "Bloody, Bloody ..." that has already closed to send a message to the underachiever. "Catch Me ..." not getting nominated for book or score is another way of doing that, I guess.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »

DR Jose, your post about the events of the day, which I would guess pertain to the City's reaction to binLaden's death, sounds portentous. I was surprised to find the news channel I watch had at both 6 and 11 pm "special editions" which I found rather ridiculous. OK. He's dead. I'm happy to hear it. There will be repercussion of some sort. It could be ugly. Is this unexpected news?

DR elmore - Yeah, some of the local coverage is a bit overblown and drawn out. I did appreciate some of the interviews with some of the people gathered down at Ground Zero and Times Square, but I got sick of the reporters trying to prompt some very emotional responses with their questions. -Or, worse, reacting to the answers given as if they had just witnessed someone crumble to the ground and crawl into the fetal position.

...And then when they spoke to actual "survivors", friends and families, well... That will always get to me.

Chef Michael Lomonaco was on "The View" yesterday, and hearing his story of that day again... He had stopped into the optometrist on the concourse level of the World Trade Center that morning to get his reading glasses adjusted when the first plane went into the tower... Meanwhile, his restaurant, Windows On the World, was filled with diners enjoying their breakfast and 79 staff members...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 07:48:39 AM »

re: TAR and who I am cheering for in the finale.

Like DR MBarnum, I am also cheering for Zev and Justin. Honestly I can't remember who the first place team is (is it the Globetrotters?).  To me Zev and Justin are the only competent team left. The others were not very good in their seasons. And I hate have just okay racers win.  I think Mallory seems very nice. But her dad seems to carry that team. I don't find the globetrotters or sisters to be very good. But i don't dislike either team.  I was so happy to see those whiners go. Could not stand them. But I was not that happy that the leg was decided by 2 fairly simple tasks. Zev and Justin got very lucky.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »

TOD: I have several of Mamet's plays in print, but haven't gotten around to reading them.

But I love many of his movies:

Things Change
Homicide
Spanish Prisoner
Winslow Boy
House of Cards

But I am not a fan of Mrs. Mamet II, Rebecca Pigeon. She always seems to me to be an enormous black hole, sucking life out of anything she's in, including "RED." I once saw an album of hers and should have bought it (it was only $1). Anybody heard it?  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:08 AM »

What, no nomination for Boyd Gaines?
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »

And there's the missing Robin Williams, too.

I think that's mainly due to the fact that the part he plays is basically "Robin Williams". Additionally, yes, he has title billing, but the character he plays is definitely not a "Lead", imho. His "partner", Arian Moayed, did get nommed in the Featured Role category.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 07:52:45 AM »

Nor James Earl Jones.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 07:53:40 AM »

Or was I supposed to respond this way, DR JohnG?

"Nor Audra McDonald."

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 07:55:20 AM »

"Nor Audra McDonald."

;D
Don't they both have it written in their contracts that they will automatically get nominated?

I will admit the two times I've seen Gaines ("She Loves Me" and "Gypsy") that he was excellent in both.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:13 AM »

Frankly, I was surprised "Catch Me ..." got a nod for best musical. The Tony nominators usually pick something bizarre, like "Women on the Verge ..." or "Bloody, Bloody ..." that has already closed to send a message to the underachiever. "Catch Me ..." not getting nominated for book or score is another way of doing that, I guess.

Well, I believe The Scottsboro Boys took that slot.

I am glad that Women for a Best Score nomination since it truly was the best thing about the production.

As for the Bloody, Bloody snub, well... I wonder if the nominators were trying not to nominate another rock show - à la American Idiot.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:58:30 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

I'm also wondering if some of the Bloody, Bloody snubs - including Benjamin Walker (and his jeans) - were a result of some of the awards and honors it received during it's original off-Broadway run at The Public during the previous season.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »

I'm also wondering if some of the Bloody, Bloody snubs - including Benjamin Walker (and his jeans) - were a result of some of the awards and honors it received during it's original off-Broadway run at The Public during the previous season.
Judging solely from the cast recording, it wasn't a very good show. And all the insight the critics found? Well, it comes off as being rather superficial and cliched.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »

DR elmore - Did you see that Bard SummerScape is doing Noël Coward's Bitter Sweet this summer?
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »

All I know is that there better be some fun shows in NY when I am there in April.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:16 AM »

Yes, DR George, very, very sad about Yvette Vickers. DR JRand and I have been discussing it via e-mail over the last day or so. She was a very sweet lady who I had the chance to meet and chat with at one of the Ray Court's Shows in Burbank. No doubt BK did the same.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »

All I know is that there better be some fun shows in NY when I am there in April.

Next April is a loooooong time away theatrically speaking. -However, since that is close to the end of the season, there should be some good shows (still) running.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:30:43 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »

OK...

I need to get ready to head out. The Big Gay Ice Cream hits the streets again today, and there's a social media panel being led by Gail Simmons at the James Beard Pop-Up in Chelsea Market.  In other words... Free Food! ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »

OK...

I need to get ready to head out. The Big Gay Ice Cream hits the streets again today, and there's a social media panel being led by Gail Simmons at the James Beard Pop-Up in Chelsea Market.  In other words... Free Food! ;)

Laters...

Free food -- two of the most glorious words in the English language.

Or was that supposed to have been "musical comedy'?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »

"Nor Audra McDonald."

;D
Don't they both have it written in their contracts that they will automatically get nominated?

I will admit the two times I've seen Gaines ("She Loves Me" and "Gypsy") that he was excellent in both.

I'm sure it's an order in Victoria Clark's contracts!

I think Boyd Gaines is a wonderful actor but a total jerk personally. I've only met him once but Lady Macbeth has more charm.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »

DR elmore - Did you see that Bard SummerScape is doing Noël Coward's Bitter Sweet this summer?

It frightens me. I fear it will b the same as last year's CHOCOLATE SOLDIER: small space, teeny orchestra, and the death blow for the show.

John G.

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »

"Nor Audra McDonald."

;D

I'm sure it's an order in Victoria Clark's contracts!

I think Boyd Gaines is a wonderful actor but a total jerk personally. I've only met him once but Lady Macbeth has more charm.
Sorry to hear that.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »

No matter how many times I go to the deli next to Toyland and order ham on rye bread, the jerk behind the counter gives me ham on a roll. Total fools!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up