Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LA NOIR  (Read 11575 times)

FJL

Re: LA NOIR
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »

Strength to you, John G.  Will you be able to take the medication orally?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »

Since so many have been puzzled by the debris comments, it's becoming clear none of you are reading BK's posts.  :)

That's because they're littered with debris.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »

Back from a nice visit to the Colony Theater, where we'll be recording Jason Graae's Jerry Herman show.  All details are known and it should be fun.

Laura

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »

Oh, John G., I am so sorry to hear that.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »

Oh, I feel SO much better today. I went to bed early and slept in until 5:30. I've already been to the sewage ponds this morning, and now I am working on the minutes I have been avoiding.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »

I just had a weird phone call with a number that was "unavailable" from my caller ID. Tje man was British and said he was calling from the train station for the Circle Line in london. A lost blackberry phone had been found with my number listed as "self" and i have no idea if I am now in a scam or what the heck.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »

I'm sure it is a scam.

Laura

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »

Tell him to turn it in to the police and they will return it to its owner.

Laura

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »

What did you do?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »

What did you do?

I spoke to him a bit, told him I hadn't been in London since 2002, and I stupidly mentioned a friend who's currently in London. i just sent my friend an email alerting him to my unhappiness with myself over this megillah.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »

And while I enjoyed Arthur Laurents' work, I know of a particularly cruel casting couch episode that never made me fond of the man.

Laurents was on the original board of directors for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus, and he was a total horror. I think the only good thng he did - and I believe he was the source - was to involve Steve Sondheim to the Chorus. He got his nose bent out of joint over a medley of songs from "La Cage aux Folles" that I had arranged, sent the Chorus MD a nasty note condemning the medley and me, and resigned. As Mary Rodgers Guettel said about him a couple of years ago, "Call me when he's dead."

I love his play "Invitation to a March," which is essentially "The Sleeping Beauty" set in the Hamptons.

This has nothing to do with Laurents, but your comment reminded me of a story about INVITATION TO A MARCH.

Back in Seattle during the early 1960s, there was a young actress whose name was "Pam". 

At auditions, she gave the greatest reading you ever heard...and directors who didn't know her would always give her the role.  In fact, I gave her the female lead in the first play I ever directed. 

:'(

The problem was that Pam never grew from that first reading.  No matter how much direction you gave her, she was cemented into that initial performance.

I don't know what Pam's father did, but he claimed he was close friends with a "big shot" at MGM, who would be sure to fly up to Seattle to see Pam perform.  [Now, you know why I didn't replace her, as I wanted to.]  The guy never came.

>:(

A couple years go by, and Daddy somehow gets the financing for a 1-week run of INVITATION TO A MARCH at Seattle's Moore Theater...where a lot of national companies played.  And, they hire Hugh Marlowe and his then wife, K.T. Stevens, to play the leads.

Naturally, Pam is cast as the young girl in the play.

During rehearsal, Marlowe and Stevens are sitting in the audience, watching Pam play a scene, and a disgusted Marlowe leans over to his wife and says in a loud whisper, "F**k her!"

;)

A couple of years later, Pam went to Hollywood and a publicity photo appeared in the Seattle paper of her with Paul Newman.  She was an extra in THE PRIZE, which was an MGM picture.

When I saw the movie, I could not spot her. 

No idea what happened to her after that.

:-\
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

Nope. There is no oral insulin. And I'm not fond of needles, but the one they made me give myself today did not hurt. It was more psychological than anything.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »

Nope. There is no oral insulin. And I'm not fond of needles, but the one they made me give myself today did not hurt. It was more psychological than anything.

~~~Vibes of Comfort and Coping!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »

Vibes for DR John G - hang in there!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »

What happened to move you to this state?

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »

Very sorry John, that you are no to take insulin. I keep hope out that I never have to do that.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »

Vibes to John.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »

William Campbell, Jackie Cooper and Sada Thompson:

I guess it does come in threes, doesn't it?

I missed William Campbell passing.
Is this the one that was in Star Trek
or the one who was The Rockateer?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »

And while I enjoyed Arthur Laurents' work, I know of a particularly cruel casting couch episode that never made me fond of the man.

I don't know what Pam's father did, but he claimed he was close friends with a "big shot" at MGM, who would be sure to fly up to Seattle to see Pam perform.  [Now, you know why I didn't replace her, as I wanted to.]  The guy never came.

Sounds lik "Waiting For Guffman"
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »

William Campbell was an actor in the 1950s and 60s. Bill Campbell was the actor in THE ROCKETEER.

John G.

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »

What happened to move you to this state?
It's hard to avoid potatoes, corn, white flour and rice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »

Well, a second blessing has come my way today (I see the insulin as one). I got the job that I interviewed for a few months ago. I'm starting on a temporary basis of three months, but if it works out, it could be permanent. It's with USAA, which is headquartered here.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »

Congrats on the job John!

John G.

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »

Congrats on the job John!
Thank you. It feels weird after more than two years of facing life in an office again. (Well, a non-home office.)
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »

Reading about DR George's favorite pizza. I have never heard of pepperoni and pineapple. Also I don't think people here ever ask for extra sauce or extra cheese.

My fave pizza is bacon and pineapple. But i also like ham and pineapple.

George

« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »

Well, a second blessing has come my way today (I see the insulin as one). I got the job that I interviewed for a few months ago. I'm starting on a temporary basis of three months, but if it works out, it could be permanent. It's with USAA, which is headquartered here.

Great news, John!  Congrats!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »

Very good. Pardon my idiocy, but ahat does USAA stand for?

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »

Congrats to DR John G for the job. And hope the insulin goes well. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »

Reading about DR George's favorite pizza. I have never heard of pepperoni and pineapple. Also I don't think people here ever ask for extra sauce or extra cheese.

My fave pizza is bacon and pineapple. But i also like ham and pineapple.

When I was a younger, I would usually ask for either pepperoni and sausage OR Canadian bacon (ham) and pineapple.  When I went to college in Bellingham, a suitemate said that his favorite pizza was pepperoni and pineapple.  I thought that that sounded good, so one time I tried it.  I love it and it's been my favorite ever since!

And...no extra cheese ever??  I don't usually ask for extra cheese (mainly because like extra toppings, it's an extra cost), but I would hope that it's at least an option.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »

If anyone is actually planning to come see The Singer, let me know - you'll be my guest.  Also, are we having any kind of get-together at some point?  I realize there may not actually be time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up