Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXY FACES  (Read 14600 times)

Cillaliz

Re: WAXY FACES
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »

Cilla, my condolences on the passing of your former boss.

Thanks TCB.   I'm still waiting to hear when the funeral will be.  If it's Thursday, I'm going to go.  Wednesday and Friday I have speaking engagements and can't go

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »

DR John G what did you & your book group think of "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet"?  I'll be discussing it with my group tomorrow.
I haven't read it. and I had to drop the book club because of school. I won't get to read what I want to (unless it's on audio) for the next 14 months. Was it good?

Well..... I struggled with the small, light print which is difficult to see when reading with a flashlight.  The writing style, for me, doesn't flow easily.  There were parts I liked very much & others that bored me.  I'll let you know tomorrow if others felt the same.  I know my friend recommended it and the reviews are exceptionally high.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »

Enjoyed your song, FJL!

I did too, Fred! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »

I just called our Deferred Compensation office to see how soon I could expect the money from my account to be sent to me.  She told me in no uncertain terms that my hardship claim was still being reviewed and that I shouldn't bother calling again until next week at the earliest.

Gee, I wonder what they consider a hardship?

~~~~~~MORE VIBES FOR DR TCB!!!~~~~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

Hello-I'm back from Buffalo.

I took my car for its annual inspection--it passed (well, after replacing the windshield wipers)!

Those are important.  Welcome home.

Jane

« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »

I just called our Deferred Compensation office to see how soon I could expect the money from my account to be sent to me.  She told me in no uncertain terms that my hardship claim was still being reviewed and that I shouldn't bother calling again until next week at the earliest.

Ask your boss to call next time.  Better yet,

MEGA VIBES IT GOES THROUGH THIS WEEK!!!!!

George

« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »

Ask your boss to call next time.  Better yet,

MEGA VIBES IT GOES THROUGH THIS WEEK!!!!!

That's a good idea...or maybe your boss can ask your HR department to call...assuming that your HR department and Deferred Compensation office are separate entities.

George

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »

Well, it's time for me to go home.

Be back later. :)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »

Am fading fast. Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »

I wish I were frolicking. I'm working on an extra credit still the same "soundtrack of my life". You wouldn't think this would be hard!
Would you rather "frolic"  or "gambol"?

Shameless "frolic" plug -

Have I foisted my deep philosophical novelty song FROLIC LIKE ELI WALLACH on the folks here?  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONC6oE_v9b4

That was fun.

Thanks, John!

FJL

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »

FJL

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

After six years here, I'm finally getting better at using the quote button.  :)

Jane

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »

After six years here, I'm finally getting better at using the quote button.  :)

:)

'night

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »

Call her back and ask her what hardship she's got that made her a total bitch!

Many years ago, I coudn't get hired to save my life in Middletown, OH. Employers would see my application mentioned a masters degree and declare me over-educated for anything.I would have scrubbed toilets but I was too qualified. At one point, I applied to the First National Bank personnel dept. and the haughty ugly lady who worfed there yold me the same thing and suggested I go to the library and see if the director, crazy Arthur Wolman, who went off the deep end a year later, had any ideas about what to do with someone who had the nerve to have an M.A.

So, I went to see Arthur, who was very kind, but very angry that I was beng passed from company to company. He didn't hire me either, and about a a year later he checked into the Manchester Hotel where around midnight he appeared in the lobby stark naked demanding to know where his date was. That was the end of Arthur's library career.

So, a couple of weeks later I went back to the first National Bank personneloffice to let the personnel manaher know I was still looking for work and still available. In her haughtiest and bitchiest tone shesnapped"What are you doing here? I sent you to the library." I answered, "I came back hoping one of your clerks had dropped dead."

I still hate that bitch.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:28:01 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »

Shayne, no, it's not released by Warners - they now sell Columbia titles - it's most definitely issued by Columbia.

I bought it through Warners.

Here is the link to the page

http://www.wbshop.com/Lost-Horizon/1000250651,default,pd.html?cgid=

EDIT:
Now I realize what you meant. Yes I know it was originally produced by Columbia and Warners is releasing it on DVD. That's what you meant???
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:00:21 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »

I wish I were frolicking. I'm working on an extra credit still the same "soundtrack of my life". You wouldn't think this would be hard!

Have I foisted my deep philosophical novelty song FROLIC LIKE ELI WALLACH on the folks here?  :)

That was fun.

I agree. Has Eli Wallach ever heard the song?
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »

That was fun.

I agree. Has Eli Wallach ever heard the song?

Thanks, Michael S.

Not sure, probably not!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »

Good Evening!

So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Did you by chance see "Star Wars" at The Uptown in DC? up on Connecticut Avenue? If so, that truly is one impressive movie theatre.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »

I just learned that my former boss died of cancer at 7:15 this morning.  He was 2 years younger than I am.   I don't know when the funeral will be.  It will be 3 1/2 hours from here so I haven't decided if I'm going to go or not.  It will depend which day it is and whether I can get away.  Even though I didn't like his management style, he was a good man and I always liked him personally.  He left a wife and two kids.  Very sad

Oh... My condolences, DR Cillaliz.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »

I vote we all chip in and buying Mikey a GPS for Christmas before we lose him forever

But who's going to teach DR MBarnum how to turn it on?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »

Shayne, no, it's not released by Warners - they now sell Columbia titles - it's most definitely issued by Columbia.

I bought it through Warners.

Here is the link to the page

http://www.wbshop.com/Lost-Horizon/1000250651,default,pd.html?cgid=

EDIT:
Now I realize what you meant. Yes I know it was originally produced by Columbia and Warners is releasing it on DVD. That's what you meant???

No, Columbia is releasing it on DVD - Warner Store now sells Columbia titles.  Capiche?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:46 PM »

TOD: I was never much of a 'Star Wars" fan or a fan of too much science fiction with special effects I did see as being all that special. I thought back then that "Metropolis" had better special effects IMHO and it was made decades earlier. I saw the first three films, which are now the second three films, and i had no desire to see the others.

I did like that Star Wars TV special where Bea Arthur sang some Kurt Weill-type song with a Wookie or whatever it was.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXKySxPFCI

I thought that that was actually a good song.  Has anyone heard of it before?  Was it written for the Star Wars special or is it from an existing show?

Inquiring minds want to know!

OMG! I remember that horrible, drecky Stars Wars Holiday Special!  YIKES! ::)

IIRC - and from what I just gathered from Google - the tune that Bea Arthur sings is basically based on the "Cantina Band Theme".

For more info, here's the entry from... wait for it... WOOKIEEPEDIA.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »

Did I miss the post about an accident, Jane?    if you're still healing, quick-healing vibes.

No new injuries, unless you missed my fall over Sherlock in June, thank goodness.  I'm still in PT from the shoulder break & partial replacement almost two years ago, and now I have a matching, pain wise, left shoulder.

Thanks for the vibes.  I would like, at least, the left shoulder to be better.

~~~~~NO NEW INJURY VIBES TO DR JANE~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:55 PM »

TOD: I was never much of a 'Star Wars" fan or a fan of too much science fiction with special effects I did see as being all that special. I thought back then that "Metropolis" had better special effects IMHO and it was made decades earlier. I saw the first three films, which are now the second three films, and i had no desire to see the others.

I did like that Star Wars TV special where Bea Arthur sang some Kurt Weill-type song with a Wookie or whatever it was.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXKySxPFCI

I thought that that was actually a good song.  Has anyone heard of it before?  Was it written for the Star Wars special or is it from an existing show?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Can you imagine the young minds it dented and warped? Like mine?

I rather enjoyed the song.
The instrumental breaks are definitely John Williams' Catina Band Themes from Star Wars IV. I also detected some lyrics married to this music. But not sure if all the music is used.

It also has a klezmatic feel to it especially as she gets everyone finally to leave the bar

The lyrics were by Ken and Mitzie Welch (best know for the work on the Carol Burnett show)

What DR Michael S said. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »

~~~~~SPEEDY DEFERMENT VIBES TO DR TCB~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »

DR FJL - I would comment on your "frolic" song, but, as I just discovered a few minutes ago, my sound doesn't seem to be working on my MacBook right now. ??? ??? However...

I really think, "Remember, Kid, Focus on what Eli did." should be on a t-shirt - with the quote over Eli Wallach's screen-printed face. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »

And now...

After a much busier day than expected - but it was a good "busy" - I need to get ready for bed. -Which includes at least 15 minutes of stretching. All the muscles around my pelvis - abs, hip flexors, obliques, glutes - have been really(!) tight lately - especially when I wake up in the morning. I really need to be more vigilant about a daily stretching routine. In any case...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »

OH!

DR Laura - We have monarchs in NYC too! ;)

Monarchs Flood New York City
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

Had a very nice lunch with BK...I had a slamdunk burger which had plum sauce and dijon mustard....very tasty! Also orange cous couse, which was yummy. I think BK was afraid of the cous cous, although he seemed to enjoy saying it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up