Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POWER  (Read 8432 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE POWER
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »

I have watched the first season of Downton Abbey and liked it very much.

I have recorded the second season. I am anxious to watch it. Although i have quite a few tv programs from the week to catch up on. And a lot reading!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »

hello, goodbye

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »

For some reason i never feel like reading when i'm under the weather.

Matthew

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »

Page Two dance

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »

I really really need to start exercising again. I hate winter for exercising.  I need to get back in shape!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »

Re the New York Times article on why Leap of Faith failed.  They have all sorts of wags saying all sorts of things giving all sorts of reasons, all of them based on this new "movie business" model of how to do Broadway - they didn't have a big enough box-office draw star (movie business model), the film brand it was based on wasn't current enough (movie business model) - all of it twaddle and ridiculous and while they are spouting this "knowledgeable" tripe they keep neglecting to mention one word - ONE word - and that word is: ONCE.  Based on a movie few saw and know.  No stars.  Small.  And: A hit.

Leap of Faith failed for one reason - it was not good.  It wasn't good in LA thanks to a director who doesn't have a clew how to guide the team writing a new musical and whose ideas about this musical were pedestrian, and from what I've read and been told, it was worse in New York, thanks to a director imposing some weird concepts on the show.  Yes, they did work on the show between LA and NY but they didn't do the right work, if there WAS right work with this particular show.  And they would have known that if the work had actually been done during the LA run, which is where work SHOULD have been done.  Little to no work was done.  So, they do the work in a vacuum, and the composer tweets how marvelous it all is because he has lost all objectivity, and they invite all their pals to a workshop of the new version, just like they invited all their friends to the workshop of the OLD version, with the same result: Their friends clap them on the back, say GREAT show don't change a thing, and they all believe because they want to believe - especially apt with a show called Leap of Faith.  And IF someone had some notes you can bet that the producers and/or writers didn't listen, thinking, "But everyone else loved it."

They found out differently in previews, but in previews it is too late to make sweeping changes, thanks to the other problem new shows now face - they are slaves to their technology.  When Sugar was doing its out of town tryout, at some point Mr. Merrick had the sets thrown out and completely redesigned - WHILE THE SHOW WAS RUNNING in the few cities it was trying out in.  You could do that then - you can't do it now.  That's why the out of town tryout was so necessary and important - they could work on the fixing of the show in a tense, heated atmosphere where they HAD to do the work, HAD to put in massive changes, and could then see IMMEDIATELY what effect they were having on a REAL audience not filled with back-clapping cronies.

Leap of Faith never had a chance because in eight years of the development process, no one figure out how to tell the story well.  It's really that simple.  Would Hugh Jackman have helped the show limp along for a while - sure.  Would a Joe Shmo in the lead have been fine if the show were brilliant and delivering - absolutely.  In the end, one has to blame the creative team for not solving things, two directors (more actually) who kept taking them into wrong places, and, most importantly, an idea that was perhaps wrong-headed to begin with - turning a middling and not successful film into a big musical - the appeal was surely not a reason to do it - that appeal being, "Wow, we can have all this gospel music, that always brings people to their feet."

But it's easier to blame all the wrong things.  The team responsible for Leap of Faith have talent.  Its lead producers are like all of today's lead producers - and to be kind let's just say they are not David Merrick.  They don't know how to talk to a creative team to get them to do what's necessary - you can't always be sweet about these things, even if the creative team is made up of successful people - in the end, all that matters is fixing your show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

Of all the words attributed to David Merrick, I cannot recall "please" or "thank you" ever being among them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »

Loving Disc One of the Victor Herbert set.  Makes me miss playing for classical singers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »

My favorite David Merrick saying is:

"There's a horse's ass for every light on Broadway!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »

I don't think I ever saw the film, but in reading the Wikipedia entry on the musical it sure sounds an awful lot like 110 in the Shade.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »

Loving Disc One of the Victor Herbert set.  Makes me miss playing for classical singers.

I think the great Margaret Jane Wray will become of the the prominent Wagnerian sopranos very soon. Wait till you hear her "Kate Smith" number!

I have too many favorites, but  I do like these immensely:
    Indian Summer and everything Rebecca Luker sings
    In Mondeslicht
    Heart O'Mine
    When the Sixty-ninth Comes Back
    Tell Me, Daisy
    I'm Going In The Movies

There are 5-10 I'm not crazy about.

And I am home from Toyland. I may run to the market for some water cress and alfalfa sprouts before I buckle down on this DEAREST ENEMY rehearsal schedule.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:51:01 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »

Yes, that's the problem with Leap of Faith - it's a low-rent 110 in the Shade crossed with The Music Man.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »

Back from storage.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »

TOD: Thank You for Being a Friend
We Belong Together
Louisiana 1927

DR John - Andrew Gold did Thank You For Being a Friend  and Randy Newman did You've Got a Friend in Me (From "Toy Story")
Thank you. Feeling fairly brain dead today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »

Someone in the comments called it Leap of Fat.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »

Yes, that's the problem with Leap of Faith - it's a low-rent 110 in the Shade crossed with The Music Man.
So, the person who emerges from this relatively unscathed is Brooke Shields.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »

Oh yay!!!  THIS makes me really happy!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

I saw Joe Shmo in CHICAGO on tour.  He was actually pretty good.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Matthew

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »

What a good idea for a show but does will Chaplin have to sing or speak?  Weird....

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »

Off to do errands - bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »

If the power went out when you were in the shower, didn't the light in the shower also go out?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »

Happy Birthday, Samantha!
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

What a good idea for a show but does will Chaplin have to sing or speak?  Weird....

Chaplin also write songs, like "Smile" and the Petula Clark standard "This is My Song" - my guess is it's the Little Tramp character that's silent, and Chaplin himself will be very vocal in sharp contrast.   But I haven't read anything about this treatment of his life.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »

Hi, TCB!

FJL

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »

Oh, I thought TCB was here.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »

Oh yay!!!  THIS makes me really happy!!!

Hoo and Ray!!  Although, I've never seen a production, I have (most of) the CDs.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »

Here's a new book (screenplay) trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD4mAF6ZVmU&list=UUQ6z6vyjJFsiqL33qbiSJSQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Yes, it is autobiographical.

At one point, Kirk Douglas was attached to this project, but we couldn't get the financing.  The studios and the networks felt it was "too soft".

Very nice trailer, Druxy. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »

T.O.D.

I am not really a Randy Newman fan.  I don't dislike his music, I just can't think of any of his songs that standiut in my mind.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »

Hi, FJL!
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up