Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS  (Read 12773 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: FIREWORKS
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »

I did some chores around the apartment this morning. There are more to do, which I may or may not get to. I'll watch a DVD this evening.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2012, 01:43:33 PM »

3)  We're about 90% sure we'll be going to England in January for Richard to study for a week at Norwich Cathedral and we'll "bookend" that with stays in London!

Ginny, I did something similar many years ago when I was in Weybridge on business. It worked out well. Weybridge is a pleasant little town, but there's not a lot to do. Plus, I wanted to spend time in London. Sounds like a nice trip!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Trifle ingredients - angel food cake (store bought), vanilla pudding, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream and Bluesberry schnapps to soak the cake in a little.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

Vibes to DR Danise's friend Thelma and her friend John.

I'm not caught up on the posts, so vibes to anyone I've missed, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »

My favorite potato salad is the vegan version that Whole Foods Market makes.

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »

3)  We're about 90% sure we'll be going to England in January for Richard to study for a week at Norwich Cathedral and we'll "bookend" that with stays in London!

Ginny, I did something similar many years ago when I was in Weybridge on business. It worked out well. Weybridge is a pleasant little town, but there's not a lot to do. Plus, I wanted to spend time in London. Sounds like a nice trip!

The week in Norwich and the days in London beforehand are being arranged by one of his favorite professors at Nashotah House, the seminary in Wisconsin where Richard is embarking on a distance learning doctoral program.  The London stay afterwards would be on our own and will put us there for our 32nd wedding anniversary.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

We don't have any Whole Foods Markets in Tacoma.  We don't even have any Half Foods.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

KevinH

« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »

We don't have any Whole Foods Markets in Tacoma.  We don't even have any Half Foods.

Good one, TCB!

KevinH

« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »

I see that "1776" is about to start on TCM.  I'm recording it but think I'll watch some of it, at least, now.   

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »

Chas, you mentioned having an egg on a hamburger.  Do you fry the egg by itself and then put it on as a topping, or do cook the egg on top of the burger while you are cooking the meat?

Not something I've made myself, but it was fried separately, sunny side up (or maybe over easy, but the yolk is definitely soft), and placed on top of the burger right there along with cheese, onion, etc.  And it's just as messy as it sounds.  But SO delicious.

I've never understood the appeal of an egg on a hamburger.  It just seems too weird to me. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

I think "But Mr. Adams" is one of the best musical numbers.

He's obnoxious and disliked did you not that...

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

I see that "1776" is about to start on TCM.  I'm recording it but think I'll watch some of it, at least, now.  

thanks for posting this. I got the DVR set just in time

George

« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »

Here's an interesting question... Does anyone know if the Overture that is printed in the vocal score and licensed when you do Hello, Dolly! has ever been recorded in its entirety?

No, it has not. It doesn't match the overture used on any recordngs, either.The original show had no overture, and I believe that was thrown together by Tams-Witmark if you wanted to use one. Both revivals I've seen used something new.

The same is true of "Ribbons Down My Back." I think the only recording of the arrangement in the vocal score may be the London cast with Mary Martin.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:14:25 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »

I have the DVD.  I prefer the extended laserdisc version, but no one in my family will watch it...it's too long.  I don't care.  I like it. :D

KevinH

« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »

You're welcome, Cillaliz!

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

I've been searching the web.  I found all sorts of good deals during the time I would have gone to Vegas.   I'm not going to book anything until I have a chance to really look at the calendar and to figure out my fall travel plans. 

KevinH

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

Interesting--Robert Osborne said that Jack Warner showed a cut of the movie (1776) to then-President Nixon.  Nixon didn't like one of the songs and some other scenes so Warner cut the film by 35 minutes !  It's been restored now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »

I'm watching the sixth season of BONES. I loved the Jersey Shore episode.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »

Here's an interesting question... Does anyone know if the Overture that is printed in the vocal score and licensed when you do Hello, Dolly! has ever been recorded in its entirety?

No, it has not. It doesn't match the overture used on any recordngs, either.The original show had no overture, and I believe that was thrown together by Tams-Witmark if you wanted to use one. Both revivals I've seen used something new.

The same is true of "Ribbons Down My Back." I think the only recording of the arrangement in the vocal score may be the London cast with Mary Martin.

Yes, that's right about "Ribbons"  When we did the show back in 1997, we were able to obtain the revival (recorded by bk) version of "Ribbons" from Jerry himself.  (along with Love, Look in My Window) - as we know, he was very happy with that arrangement as it's always what he wanted it to be.

George

« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »

Interesting--Robert Osborne said that Jack Warner showed a cut of the movie (1776) to then-President Nixon.  Nixon didn't like one of the songs and some other scenes so Warner cut the film by 35 minutes !  It's been restored now.

Not all of it's been restored.  The "director's cut" DVD is still 11 minutes shorter than the laserdisc.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

Good one, TCB!

Hello, Kevin!  Don't be such a stranger.  Besides you couldn't be stranger than me.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

I have the DVD.  I prefer the extended laserdisc version, but no one in my family will watch it...it's too long.  I don't care.  I like it. :D

DR George, is there any way to transfer the LD to DVD (hint, hint)?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

Yes, that's right about "Ribbons"  When we did the show back in 1997, we were able to obtain the revival (recorded by bk) version of "Ribbons" from Jerry himself.  (along with Love, Look in My Window) - as we know, he was very happy with that arrangement as it's always what he wanted it to be.

What is "Love, Look in My Window?"
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »

I think "But Mr. Adams" is one of the best musical numbers.

He's obnoxious and disliked did you not that...

So I've heard.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »

The courier has the best song in the show.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »

One of the two songs added for Merman.

George

« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

DR George, is there any way to transfer the LD to DVD (hint, hint)?

Possible...very possible. ;)

Depending, of course, on the condition of the laserdisc.  It's very old and I have another laserdisc that is already compromised.  But if it's good, it'll work.  I already have my laserdisc player hooked up to my DVD burner.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »

One of the two songs added for Merman.

Oh, I see.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

Well, I must be going.  I'll work on the "1776" laserdisc this evening.

Be back later...and have a safe day, everyone!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up