Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAM FLIES  (Read 14325 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DREAM FLIES
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were dreamy and flew by, and now it is time for you to post until the dream cows, like the Dream Laurie, come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: DREAM FLIES
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »

And the word of the day is: NATTY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »

And here is the new Kritzerland CD.  It will be live on the Kritzerland site at six, but for anyone who can't wait, you know what to do.

Kritzerland is pleased to present a world premiere limited edition soundtrack release:

THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS

Music Composed and Conducted by Miklós Rózsa

It was 1946 and film noir was everywhere, from low budget quickies to major studio releases.  Of course, the studios didn’t realize they were making films noir, since that term had just been coined by French film critic Nino Frank. The noirs of 1946 included: The Killers, The Blue Dahlia, The Big Sleep, Gilda, The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Stranger, The Dark Mirror, The Black Angel and The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers was an “A” picture from Paramount, produced by Hal B. Wallis. It featured a terrific cast, including Barbara Stanwyck (who’d been in the classic noir Double Indemnity two years prior), Van Heflin, smoky-voiced Lizabeth Scott, Judith Anderson and, in his film debut, a young actor named Kirk Douglas.  It’s a terrific picture with wonderful dialogue, elegant direction and great performances – it’s noir, it’s melodrama, and the whole film crackles with electricity.  And perfectly capturing every mood, every character and every situation is the classic score by Miklós Rózsa.

The music for The Strange Love of Martha Ivers is almost a second cousin to Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend, filled with the incredible Rózsa sound of that era. No one did this kind of thing better than Rózsa – he seemed to have a real affinity for these darker tales. The main title is everything a classic main title should be: It draws you in right from those great Rózsa-esque opening chords, introduces its beautiful main theme and then segues directly into the first cue for the young runaways.  From there, Rózsa’s music weaves its magic, perfectly capturing the film’s moods, situations and characters as they travel their dark roads.

The surviving music from Martha Ivers was taken from a set of incredible-sounding acetates preserved in the Paramount vaults.  It’s almost fifty minutes of prime Rózsa and it’s nearly most of the score, with only a handful of missing cues.  Only two tracks had material that was beyond repair – one of those tracks was only twenty-four seconds long and the material contained therein was well represented elsewhere.  For the other track, through careful editing, we were able to save ninety percent of it and again, the material that wasn’t salvageable was represented elsewhere in the other cues. 

Miklós Rózsa is in the pantheon of greats, and it’s really gratifying to bring one of his classic noir scores to CD. 

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the third week of September  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:18:59 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:02:38 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano playing the love theme from The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »

CD has been ordered.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:39:52 AM »

Good morning, all! I just lost a long post, which burns my ass. This Macbook has its own logic I have not yet learned, but I could not get the page to scroll down, and I was pressing the correct damned key.

Last night, I had dinner with one of our Dublin producers, Jonathan, whose father and companion were beaten and robbed over a month ago. Jonathan's report on his dad and his father's lady friend were good. After dinner, we walked the Grafton Street area and he showed me an easy route to Walton's, where we will rehearse Tuesday-Thursday.

I'm free today until the car picks me up for tonight's chorus rehearsal. I may go shopping on Grafton Street and there's a wonderful bookstore I'd like to visit. I may also walk in St Stephen's Green for a bit. I also need to stop at a Bank of Ireland and convert some currency.

I've finished seven chapters of HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY. How did I ever miss reading this glorious book?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Monday Vibes for Craig and all DRs today! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 03:28:29 AM »

Happy to see you posting DR Elmore!!!!

I did a LOT of sleeping this weekend but I do feel better for it. 

The closing of the Olympics was amazing!

Mega vibes to all who need them!

Have a wonder filled day!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »

Have a great free day exploring, elmore!

FJL

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 04:15:27 AM »

Glad it went well, George.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:21:18 AM »

Well, the weather in Dublin is cool, about 67 at the moment, but the humidity is terrible. I walked to Grafton Street for postcards and to the wonderful Hodges & Figgis book store, stopped to browse in HMV, and I was soaked to the skin with sweat by the time I got back to the club Ugh.

I just learned what the Snooker Room is and I feel quite informed.

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  We are up earlier than usual for a Monday because we're taking Mary Linda's old car to get the carpets and seats steam cleaned before she shows it to a potential buyer.  She and Rob tried to do this on Saturday, but were told an appointment was needed.  Works OK for us, because I also have to go this morning for a blood test.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »

DR Elmore, thank you for letting us "join" you in Dublin!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:33 AM »

I remember before you left you were talking about there being some Borking and maybe a bit of Aer Lingus on the trip.  Does the Snooker Room relate to that in some way?  This sounds like a trip i really would have enjoyed in my twenties or thirties, i don't know that i would have the energy for all this excitement in my fifties or sixties, so please pace yourself.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:16:25 AM by FJL »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 05:18:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure I know what a Snooker Room is, though I'm not sure if it relates to the warning phrase "Don't get snookered!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 05:21:58 AM »

TOD:

I have to admit that I don't listen to podcasts as much as I used to.  I was a big fan of Dan Savage's weekly podcast, mostly because listening to it made me feel that I was nowhere near as perverse as I sometimes thought I was.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 05:24:48 AM »

I enjoyed watching the closing ceremonies last night, particularly seeing a lot of my favorite 80's bands.  The Spice Girls had no particular draw for me, though.
-- Anaďs Nin

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »

Good morning, all.

There's much to respond to this morning, as I was mostly away from keyboard through the evening yesterday.  I will get to it all in time. 

("In. Time" -- as little Regan MacNeil intoned.)

As for the Right Now.....what else?.....COFFEE.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 05:30:43 AM »

I was angered, however, by NBC's bait-and-switch game of trying to force its audience to watch one of its new sitcoms about a monkey, instead of continueing showing the remainder of the ceremonies which included a performance by The Who.  I promptly switched off the TV.
-- Anaďs Nin

Doug R

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:13 AM »

Well, the weather in Dublin is cool, about 67 at the moment, but the humidity is terrible. I walked to Grafton Street for postcards and to the wonderful Hodges & Figgis book store, stopped to browse in HMV, and I was soaked to the skin with sweat by the time I got back to the club Ugh.

Hope you're enjoying Dublin DR elmore3003. I was there about 8 years ago but the streets were in a mess then because they were laying down tram lines.

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »

I watched only a few bits here and there of the closing ceremonies.  And I hope that cheap stunt with the new sitcom brings in plenty of ridicule to NBC.  They got what they asked for -- I changed the channel.

Also, something went weird with the programming, or the programming guide, for the 3-D repeat channel on Comcast.  I was complaining yesterday that they apparently weren't going to show the expected day-after repeat of the closing ceremonies.  But yesterday they were showing some Olympics even though other programs were listed.  Just checked now.  Other stuff is still listed, and they're still showing Olympics.

Weird, I tell you.  It's just:   weird.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 05:59:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: NATTY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ALL I NEED IS THE GIRL

ChasSmith

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »

Congrats to DR Elmore on making his way around Dublin.  It sounds fascinating.  But damp.  I know we have cool but humid days like that here once in a while, but it does seem especially fitting that it be especially damp in a Foreign Land.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 06:02:22 AM »

i need to step out and purchase a sewing kit. I should have packed one from home and I didn't. I also packed the wrong pair of trousers and I have an iron-on patch that needs reinforcement. I hate travel and I hate packing.

Damn!

DR DougR, I love Dublin, and I'm very happy to be back. Why I didn't pack another pair of trousers instead of the comfortable rags I wear at home is beyond me. I'm sure Briona the receptionist can tell me where to find what I need.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 06:12:11 AM »

TROUSER VIBES to DR Elmore, and to anyone else who needs trouser vibes today.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »

good morning, all.

I'll second the trouser vibes. Mine are still on -- so far. That's a relatively good start to a Monday.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »

Vibes of all kinds, including trousers, to everyone on this not-quite-ready-for-a-Monday.
I like boat races.

John G.

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »

TOD: I wish I had more time to listen to podcasts or to read what i wanted to. Maybe that will all come after finishing up this grad school stuff.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »

We're almost there.
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up