Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DIVOON VERONICA  (Read 12863 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE DIVOON VERONICA
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004, 10:13:57 AM »

A question for the ethicists at HHW.

I have a friend in the building whose mother passed away last week. I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring her some comfort food, and I know she likes cheesecake.

So I baked one this morning. But it looks so good that I'm tempted to bring her just half and keep the rest.

Is that tacky? Please be perfectly frank.

(I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision, but Bev lives alone. And she's not Jewish - so I don't think she'll have to feed guests this week. On the other hand, I do know that this cake freezes well.)

I think in your heart of hearts you know the answer to the question, Dear Reader Dan-in-Toronto, else you wouldn't be asking it.  Bring her the whole cheesecake.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

Hmmmm, DR DIT, I don't know if it's tacky, but I think I would bring her the whole cake.  She can always invite you to have some with her.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2004, 10:15:35 AM »

Ron,

You're absolutely right, of course, but I'm very weak. I just phoned the neighbor, with the idea of bringing down the cake - even before it's properly chilled. She's not home, though.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »

I think in your heart of hearts you know the answer to the question, Dear Reader Dan-in-Toronto, else you wouldn't be asking it.  Bring her the whole cheesecake.

I know, I know.

(The good news: There was enough mixture left in the bowl to allow me to fill half a muffin cup. That will have to do.)

Jay

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 10:29:30 AM »

Be strong, Dear Reader Dan-in-Toronto.  Be strong.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2004, 10:40:33 AM »

I'm trying, DR Jay. Thanks for the moral support. (But I have to tell you, it's an awfully good-looking cake.)

Jay

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004, 10:58:31 AM »

Leave the house, DR DIT.  Leave the house NOW!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2004, 11:07:51 AM »

A question for the ethicists at HHW.

I have a friend in the building whose mother passed away last week. I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring her some comfort food, and I know she likes cheesecake.

So I baked one this morning. But it looks so good that I'm tempted to bring her just half and keep the rest.

Is that tacky? Please be perfectly frank.

(I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision, but Bev lives alone. And she's not Jewish - so I don't think she'll have to feed guests this week. On the other hand, I do know that this cake freezes well.)

What if you sliced it into smallish slices then individually wrapped and froze those and gave her the frozen slices?  But keep one or two unfrozen so that she could enjoy them right now.  She would (hopefully) think that you went to such trouble to slice and individually wrap each piece for her!  Then she doesn't have to worry about dealing with an entire cheesecake all by herself and could just thaw each piece on its own and the rest of the cheesecake will stay good for a very long time!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 11:09:43 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004, 11:10:37 AM »

Wrap up the cake.  Don't look at it.  Or leave a message on your friend's answering maching saying you have a cake for her.  That way you won't be able to eat it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004, 11:23:09 AM »

The full cake, I am sad to say, I agree with the DR's here.

Now...here is a Veronica Lake story.  When she published her autobiography, she appeared on the Daytime version of To Tell The Truth with 2 imposters.  Her appearance was so changed by the early 1970's (I saw the episode), that she did not receive one vote from the panel as the REAL Veronica Lake.

Mr BK- I would advise you to avoid FLESH FEAST at all costs!

I will be at rehearsal tonight so I will miss the lively chat.  Tonight is Act One - Off Book!!  So we may be there quite late.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2004, 11:28:27 AM »

Dan-inTO- I guess I'm not as noble a person as the other DRs, but I would only give her half the cake. I would, however, tell her the truth - more or less. "I baked you a cheese cake, dear neighbor, but once I looked at it I realized that you'll never be able to finish it off before it spoils. So at the risk of appearing tacky but pragmatic - here's half the cheese cake with my whole condolences."
On the other hand - is she's getting lots of visitors, then you SHOULD give her the whole cake because she can serve it to guests.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 11:31:01 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2004, 11:34:33 AM »

Dan-in-TO- I had to modify my post because I thought you said the cake does NOT freeze well. (She's probably got things on her mind other than freezing cheese cake, so, I don't think that freezing it is much of an option.) On the other hand, if you don't know here well enough to give her half a cake (you can only do that with a friend) then give her the whole cake.
Have I confused you enough??

Panni

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2004, 11:38:07 AM »

Suddenly I want cheese cake!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2004, 11:39:01 AM »

Well, I'm in a sort of  ;D mood myself today!

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I must report that no one has rubbed me of late in any way.

One should at least get snuggled during "Nessun Dorma" in a performance of "Turandot"!!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »

Might I recommend giving her the half-filled muffin cup?  ;)
I say give her the whole cake, and then bake another one for yourself.  And a third for the good people on HHW.  No one can resist homemade cheesecake!

As for divoon screen goddesses, my votes are for Miss Audrey Hepburn and DR JoseSPiano's brilliant suggestion, Miss Sophia Loren.  She makes such otherwise intolerable movies as "Man of La Mancha" and "House Boat" quite fun.  Can Judy Garland be considered a screen goddess?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 11:42:25 AM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2004, 11:41:16 AM »

Also...I'm not Jewish, but when my father died, my mother and I had visitors dropping by a week or so after his funeral.  Several "whole" cakes had been brought to the house and they were most welcome and nothing was wasted.

(Don't listen to those half-cake-advocates...they're cheesecake snarfers!)

:D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 11:42:31 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2004, 11:47:39 AM »

Canada got their first medal today at the Olympics!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2004, 11:49:13 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  We're talkin' about movie goddesses.  Don't just sit there like so much fish, join in, or, at the very least, send us half a cheesecake or even half a sixpence.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2004, 11:52:47 AM »

Hmmmm, DR DIT, I don't know if it's tacky, but I think I would bring her the whole cake.  She can always invite you to have some with her.
When my mother died, a woman who already had her eye on Dad brought him a cake, the sort that was very sticky and gooey and filled with the kind of lemon filling you usually find in filled donuts.  After she had left, I commented that it was appropriate that the cake had a lemon filling.

"Why?" I was asked.

I simply replied, "Tart."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2004, 11:57:57 AM »

Oh DR Mr RLP - my friend Patrick Agan has just completed a biography of the luscious Miss Hedy Lamarr, called LAMARR-VELOUS or some such and hopefully it will be published soon.  He doesn't have a publication date.

She did indeed (with the help of Antheil) discover the principle that was used for the radio controlled torpedo and other applications....she also held a patent on some type of luminous paint.

Hedy saw a need for the first application when she wanted to call one of her servants (and not ALL the others) and the second when she wanted her lovers to be able to find her house number in the dark.  Practical goddess was Hedwig.

DRJOSE's choice of Sophia Loren has made me think of her a lot today.  I do not remember the exact movie that he is talking about (washing dishes?) - but I do remember her especially in THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION and THE LEGEND OF THE LOST which we saw at the drive-in - and of course HOUSEBOAT.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2004, 11:59:05 AM »

...As for divoon screen goddesses, my votes are for Miss Audrey Hepburn and DR JoseSPiano's brilliant suggestion, Miss Sophia Loren.  She makes such otherwise intolerable movies as "Man of La Mancha" and "House Boat" quite fun....
You forgot to include The Cassandra Crossing.  It's so embarassing that it's fun.  Basic plot summary: Train fall down, go boom!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2004, 12:00:10 PM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I didn't really sleep in...

Didn't really need to since I slept rather soundly and happily...

Had a nice "normal" morning - breakfast and the paper...

And now I'm about to head out, and do some exploring...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2004, 12:02:10 PM »

I'm not much on movie goddesses.  Never got into the mystique thing.  Sorry.

Jay

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2004, 12:02:49 PM »

Dan-in-TO- I had to modify my post because I thought you said the cake does NOT freeze well. (She's probably got things on her mind other than freezing cheese cake, so, I don't think that freezing it is much of an option.) On the other hand, if you don't know here well enough to give her half a cake (you can only do that with a friend) then give her the whole cake.
Have I confused you enough??

Did you have waffles for breakfast, Dear Reader Panni?

;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2004, 12:06:15 PM »

I was depressed last night, for no reason other than seretonin levels, and ended up watching part of a E! channel documentary on the making of The Exorcist.

I ended up coming up with a "What If?" of my own.

What if The Exorcist had been produced by the Walt Disney Studios instead of Warner Brothers?

For some reason, I can't get the idea of Donald Duck trying to wrap his bill around the name "Pazoozoo."

:-\ ;)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2004, 12:13:10 PM »

Might I recommend giving her the half-filled muffin cup?  ;)
I say give her the whole cake, and then bake another one for yourself.  And a third for the good people on HHW.  No one can resist homemade cheesecake!

Not a bad idea, Jenny (option one). As for option two: I have only enough energy to make two cheesecakes a year.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2004, 12:21:50 PM »

Also...I'm not Jewish, but when my father died, my mother and I had visitors dropping by a week or so after his funeral.  Several "whole" cakes had been brought to the house and they were most welcome and nothing was wasted.

(Don't listen to those half-cake-advocates...they're cheesecake snarfers!)

:D

Ron, thanks for the tough love approach.

The cake is chilling and out of sight. I just hope my neighbor comes home soon.

And I apologize if I suggested that eating/serving cake is strictly a Jewish thing. I just have a strong association here. Years ago, I was paying a condolence call, and I stopped in at a Jewish bakery. The woman behind the counter saw me hesitate and asked what I needed. I explained where I was going. Without missing a beat she picked up a cake and said, decisively, "Shiva house? Marble chiffon."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »

DiT I know the feeling of temptation.  :D IMHO take the entire cake and hope she offers you a piece while you visit.  Maybe offer to cut a piece for both of you.  Don’t forget to mention it freezes well.

td

• td
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2004, 12:34:07 PM »

On my little break from work, I thought that I would pop in and say that when I saw Ann-Margret on the treadmill (BYE BYE BIRDIE) my mind made her a goddess.

Others, that I find worthy of Mr. Olympus:
Kim Novak
Marilyn Monroe
Simone Simon
Simone Signoret
Audrey Hepburn
Ava Gardner - check out THE KILLERS.
Isabel Adjani
Catherine Deneuve
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2004, 12:39:09 PM »

Sullivan’s Travels is a favorite of mine, and my favorite Veronica Lake movie.  Her costumes were designed to hide her growing stomach.  She was pregnant.

My parents friends often said I looked like Veronica Lake, had something to do with the blond hair falling over one eye. ;D

If Audrey Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck and Ginger Rodgers were goddesses, then they top my list.

Jean Simmons=gorgeous and wonderful in everything.

Linda Darnell, irresistible in THE MARK OF ZORO, and I didn’t get the attraction to Rita Hayworth (sorry) over Linda in BLOOD AND SAND.

When I think of the beautiful Gene Tierney I think of THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR.

Angie Dickinson was so beautiful in THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE

JRand I agree Caroll Baker was a goddess.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up