Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DIVOON VERONICA  (Read 12995 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DIVOON VERONICA
« on: August 15, 2004, 11:59:32 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling divoon for having read the notes, the notes are feeling divoon for having been read and now it is time to post until the divoon cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:00:59 AM by bk »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE DIVOON VERONICA
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:13:03 AM »

I like the goddesses that blended mystique with their beauty.  (And while in some cases these goddesses defined beauty, in others their beauty was not necessarily traditional.)  For example:  Miss Greta Garbo, Miss Bette Davis, Miss Grace Kelly, Miss Marilyn Monroe, Miss Marlene Dietrich, Miss Jean Harlow, Miss Lauren Bacall.  There are others, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 12:13:41 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:31:57 AM »

Simone Signoret and Jean Simmons.

Loved the movies with Ladd and Lake but was probably more keen on Ladd. I have only seen them on TV though - and that was when I was in my early teens.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 12:33:30 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 12:34:40 AM »

Hmmm.... Goddesses...  I'll have to think about that topic, and post in the morning... or afternoon... or evening... whenever I get up tomorrow!  ;)

-Although, I just had the thought, that if for some unknown reason I end up getting up early on my own tomorrow morning, I may just go ahead and finally break in my running shoes that I brought with me.  Sounds crazy, huh?!?   -Ah, a FIDDLER ON THE ROOF/WHAT IF? reference...  We shall see...

Oh, as far as Goddesses, the only name and face - and body - that comes to mind right now is Sophia Loren.  *What was that movie where she was washing dishes, but someone had scratched a bunch of them with a diamond ring(?) so she ended pulling out broken dishes from the sink, and she consequently lost the contest - was it even a contest?  -I just remember seeing this movie when I was much younger on late night TV.  -And for some reason, Sophia Loren washing dishes sticks in my head - ???

And on that note... Let's say a High B-flat for tonight - with a hint of Verdian spinto vibrato in it... Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 12:51:23 AM »

For someone who was going to bed early, I'm here kinda late. Oh well.
Rita Hayworth, Ava Gardner (The Barefoot Contessa - to die for!) Jeanne Moreau, Marilyn Monroe, Carole Lombard...
More tomorrow. To bed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 12:55:55 AM »

Jeanne Moreau - wonderful. A touch more recent:  the beautiful  Catherine Deneuve and Julie Christie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 01:27:26 AM »

For me: The Divoon Veronica, Marlene in the von Sternberg films, Jean Seberg (sorry, to me she fits the bill), Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Deneuve certainly (although post 1960), Miss Hayworth in Lady from Shanghai, and the amazingly amazing Miss Barbara Stanwyck (yes, a goddess in The Lady Eve, Ball of Fire and Double Indemnity).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 04:01:45 AM »

Well....yesterday, Comcast decided to interrupt its service to my computer....NOTHING...NOTHING....maybe I shouldn't have posted about the letter I received concerning digital cable!  >:(

Anyway....sound problems, speaker problems....grrrrrrrrr!  It's happened to me and it is frustrating because I know what is wrong, but I don't know how to fix it.  I have tried to learn to run the sound board, but it is fairly complicated!  :P

Okay....hmmmmmmmmmmm.....goddesses.  Well Miss Allison Hayes, of course.  And I will add Miss Frances Farmer who gave some nice performances, especially in Son Of Fury with Mr Tyrone Power.

Miss Carroll Baker (although her goddess phase was somewhat after 1960) - Veronica Lake, yes!  

And I guess I will also add Miss Ginger Rogers, who was so beautiful in all those dances....and Miss Hedy Lamarr.

And Miss Lana Turner.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 04:18:23 AM »

Back from another mini vacation.

Miss Veroinca Lake not sure if I ever remember seeing a movie with her in it. All I know about here really is her do.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 04:19:44 AM »

Oh yes I was looking at some of the pictures at the opening night. Who are all the youngings there?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 06:13:27 AM »

Not fair, DR TCB, to throw down an Al Jolson challenge after I had signed off for the night.

I've got that AL JOLSON COLLECTION laserdisc package, so the eight films contained in it I'm intimately familiar with. I guess THE SINGING FOOL is my favorite (I love the song "There's a Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder), but I also watch BIG BOY often since it's probably the closest to the stage Jolson persona we'll ever have.

Not in the package but not to be missed is ROSE OF WASHINGTON SQUARE with Alice Faye playing a thinly disguised version of Fanny Brice. Jolson was peeved to have to take third billing in the film, but he did. Well worth searching out on the Fox Movie Channel.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 06:14:25 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 06:19:29 AM »

Judy may have been my favorite star, but I don't think she qualifies as a goddess.  For that I would say Carol Lombard, Ava Gardner and Lana Turner.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 06:22:17 AM »

Good technical vibes to BK and What If.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 06:42:46 AM »

Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth and Ava Gardner are the first three names on my list. I'd also include Gene Tierney. Maureen O'Hara was ravishing, yet she doesn't seem to fit the image. Too wholesome? I think Sharon Tate could have become a screen goddess.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 07:14:08 AM »

I haven't gotten THIS GUN FOR HIRE yet (it's on my birthday list, but I'll buy it for myself if I don't get it as a gift), but I honestly like THE GLASS KEY even more. Lake and Ladd are dynamite in both.

Of course, Veronica had a voice double in films where she was required to sing. Martha Mears provided her singing voice in THIS GUN FOR HIRE, ISN'T IT ROMANTIC, and STAR SPANGLED RHYTHM.

It's the same Martha Mears who sang for Lucille Ball in DUBARRY WAS A LADY. I think her voice matches Veronica's speaking voice much better than it does Lucy's.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

My favorite goddess? I guess it would have to be Marlene Dietrich. I never tire of watching BLONDE VENUS, THE SCARLET EMPRESS, or THE GARDEN OF ALLAH.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2004, 07:19:59 AM »

And a camp goddess? It just has to be Joan Crawford who has enlivened many a stale melodrama with her verve and presence. Even if it's hard to watch something like TORCH SONG without laughing, she's still so defiantly THERE that you can't tear your eyes away from the screen.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2004, 07:26:03 AM »

I like the goddesses that blended mystique with their beauty.  (And while in some cases these goddesses defined beauty, in others their beauty was not necessarily traditional.)  For example:  Miss Greta Garbo, Miss Bette Davis, Miss Grace Kelly, Miss Marilyn Monroe, Miss Marlene Dietrich, Miss Jean Harlow, Miss Lauren Bacall.  There are others, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

You ARE talking about the real people...right?  Generally speaking, every time I've encountered a "Miss" in front of a name, the user was citing a drag name.

Miss Bertha Fenation, for example.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2004, 07:27:09 AM »

Hedy Lamarr (no, no, NOT Hedley...but H-E-D-Y).

Not only was she supremely goddess-like, she was also brilliant and is credited as co-inventor of the "torpedo guidance system".  Her co-inventor was none other than composer George Antheil.

http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 08:00:49 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2004, 07:31:02 AM »

BK, sorry to hear about your sound problems. Hopefully they will give you new speakers by the next show.

I woke up at 1:44am and was sad.  I hate when you're waiting for a call, and then fall asleep.  Then when you wake up you realize you did not get the call, and by that time it's too late to call the person who was supposed to call you. :(

(did that make any sense?)

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 07:33:52 AM »

Goddesses....Allison Hayes, of course!

and...Maureen O'Hara!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 08:02:25 AM »

Good morning. Slept badly. Woke up really tired. Bummer.
I shall go for a morning walk now and see if I can wake up.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 09:07:05 AM »

Yep, I slept badly, too, and today I'm feeling the effects BIG TIME. Besides having bags handing from under my eyes down to the floor, I'm in general lethargic to the point of being comatose (a Marilyn Monroe/"Lazy"/THERE's NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS reference).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 09:10:45 AM »

I'm up.  Went to bed a bit later than I'd intended but still got almost my full eight hours.  Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Of course, I must add the name Leslie Parrish to the list, for sentimental reasons.

Jay

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 09:37:30 AM »

You ARE talking about the real people...right?  Generally speaking, every time I've encountered a "Miss" in front of a name, the user was citing a drag name.

Miss Bertha Fenation, for example.

At HHW.com we use honorifics to demonstrate our respect for the individuals cited.  Surely you've noticed this bit of writing style here before, Dear Reader Mr. RLP?

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2004, 09:41:35 AM »

Could this be the day I finally get to AMERICAN BUFFALO?

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm, could be. . . .

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 09:49:21 AM »

A question for the ethicists at HHW.

I have a friend in the building whose mother passed away last week. I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring her some comfort food, and I know she likes cheesecake.

So I baked one this morning. But it looks so good that I'm tempted to bring her just half and keep the rest.

Is that tacky? Please be perfectly frank.

(I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision, but Bev lives alone. And she's not Jewish - so I don't think she'll have to feed guests this week. On the other hand, I do know that this cake freezes well.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004, 10:01:03 AM »

At HHW.com we use honorifics to demonstrate our respect for the individuals cited.  Surely you've noticed this bit of writing style here before, Dear Reader Mr. RLP?

Except for when we reply to each other, I don't find the practice of honorifics here all that common.  

But I was :D in my original post, although I forgot to put the smiley.

I apologize if my original post rubbed anyone the wrong way.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 10:02:03 AM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 10:05:37 AM »

A question for the ethicists at HHW.

I have a friend in the building whose mother passed away last week. I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring her some comfort food, and I know she likes cheesecake.

So I baked one this morning. But it looks so good that I'm tempted to bring her just half and keep the rest.

Is that tacky? Please be perfectly frank.

(I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision, but Bev lives alone. And she's not Jewish - so I don't think she'll have to feed guests this week. On the other hand, I do know that this cake freezes well.)

Give her the entire cheesecake.  If she protests she won't be able to eat it all, offer to divide it and keep half.

Jay

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2004, 10:09:58 AM »

Except for when we reply to each other, I don't find the practice of honorifics here all that common.  

But I was :D in my original post, although I forgot to put the smiley.

I apologize if my original post rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Well, I'm in a sort of  ;D mood myself today!

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I must report that no one has rubbed me of late in any way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up