Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME IMPROVEMENT  (Read 13467 times)

François de Paris

Re:HOME IMPROVEMENT
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2004, 06:58:33 PM »

It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
and a world of fears
There's so much that we share
that it's time we're aware
it's a small world after all.

There is just one moon
and one golden sun
And a smile means
friendship to everyone
Though the mountains divide
and the oceans are wide
it's a small world after all.

En el mundo hay risas y dolor
Esperanzas y hay tambien temor
Mucho hay en verdad
que poder compartir
Entre la humanidad.

Muy pequeno el mundo es
Muy pequeno el mundo es
Debe haber mas hermanidad
Muy pequeno es.

Una luna hay solo hay un sol
Para todos brillan sin distincion
Y aunque muy grandes son
Las montanas y el mar
Muy pequeno el mundo es.

Au bout du Pole Nord
ou sur l'équateur
Il y a un Jean-qui-rit
Il y a un Jeab-qui-pleure
Du soleil de midi
Au soleil de minuit
On a tous le même vie.

Car le monde est tout petit
Devant le ciel on se dit
Que nous sommes des fourmis
Le monde est petit.

Au bout du Pôle Nord
Ou sur l'équateur
On a toujours l'air
De venir d'ailleurs
Mais quand on fait le tour
De nos joies, nos ennuis
On a tous la même vie!

François de Paris

« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2004, 06:59:05 PM »

New page, same world!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2004, 07:04:03 PM »

Okay, MattH!  A little cheesecake.

TCB, if you can't say something nice ::)...besides, he's lying on his stomach!! How can you tell?? :o ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 07:05:42 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2004, 07:10:57 PM »

The First Out of town review

Last Friday night I went to Hudson Theater on theater row to see a musical review called. “What If?”. Let me get right to the nitty gritty. I loved the show. I laughed more than I had at the recent Broadway revival of “Sly Fox” with Richard Dreyfus and the musical numbers were more enjoyable than all the Peter Allen songs in the recent, “The Boy From Oz”.

In the past, having only read the wonderful “What If” lyrics, it was wonderful to hear them sung by a more than capable cast of performers. Each brought a unique style and presence to the show.

The cast in alphabetical order they are: Susan Blakeslee who did a wicked Julie Andrews singing the “What If Rodgers and Hammerstein had written Assassins” and in her own voice in “A Little Lift” and “A Slight Neurotic”. Paul Haber is a seasoned performer who shined in his solo spots singing “Something” (Mr. Karp’s reply to “Nothing” from “A Chorus Line”) and “Millions of Men” and shined in the group numbers “What If Bock and Harnick Wrote A Chorus Line” and “What If Irving Berlin Wrote West Side Story” among others.

Tammy Minoff who I saw in The Goodbye Girl on Broadway and from her recordings as part of Bruce Kimmel’s rep company has blossomed in beautiful young woman with a voice to match. At Friday’s performance Bruce Kimmel treated us to a new song about wanting to be the star of the musical Annie. It was only the second time she performed it in front of the audience but it as if she had been doing it since the beginning. Ryan Rafferty the goofy bespectacled performer who wants nothing, but to sing “Don’t Rain On My Parade” even bribing musical director Jose Simbulan and asking a member of the audience before the start of act two if they new how to play. Ryan is a wonderful and engaging performer.

Finally, there is Alet Taylor who up to now I knew as Alet Oury from her recordings she has made for Bruce, Finally it was wonderful to put a face to the voice, and I was not disappointed.  I especially enjoyed “When You Are Waiting For Love”.

Bruce Kimmel has staged a fast-paced show, wrote the specialty lyrics, and as well as contributing several songs to the show. This musical revue is not a composer's greatest hits nor is Forbidden Broadway where it is one parody after. Kimmel scored with all the “What Ifs” and especially shined with the “Coming Attractions” sequence. I would love to see a couple more spread out through the evening. Jose Simbulan the musical director and pianist for the evening complimented his singers with his adept playing. Joseph McKee and Cheryl Baxter’s homage to choreographers like Jerome Robbins and Michael Bennett enhanced the evening and even had there own laughs. I cannot remember when I saw choreography get their own laughter.

I wish that I lived in LA because I would love to see the show repeatedly. The best $20 I spent in a long time.
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2004, 07:13:44 PM »

Au bout du Pole Nord
ou sur l'équateur
Il y a un Jean-qui-rit
Il y a un Jeab-qui-pleure
Du soleil de midi
Au soleil de minuit
On a tous le même vie.

Car le monde est tout petit
Devant le ciel on se dit
Que nous sommes des fourmis
Le monde est petit.

Au bout du Pôle Nord
Ou sur l'équateur
On a toujours l'air
De venir d'ailleurs
Mais quand on fait le tour
De nos joies, nos ennuis
On a tous la même vie!

Wow... now I finally have a song to sing at work so that my French co-workers can be equally as annoyed as my English ones :)

Don't you love how when songs get translated the exact meaning of the lyrics get "massaged".  This version in particular has some weird images... especially the "Devant le ciel on se dit/Que nous sommes des fourmis" part... cute though :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2004, 07:22:23 PM »

DiT I also fold socks while I’m on the phone.  ;D Having a headset makes it easy.  Most often I do my favorite activity while on the phone, pace.  Have you ever told your sister you find her chomping annoying?

If I receive a phone call while I’m eating I give the person the option of my calling back when I’m done.  No one has ever taken me up on that.  I only call a select few people when I’m eating, the ones that also eat while on the phone with me.

Last week while waiting in line at the bank to cash a check I was on the cell phone to Keith.  The teller, very sweetly, said she would help me when I was done.  As cute as she was, and as rude as I was, I stayed on the phone explaining we were dealing with an emergency with our cat.  She was very nice about it.  I also spoke softly enough that no one could hear what I was saying and Keith waited while I talked to her. :-[

So now the truth is out.  I’m a rude person, I eat while on the phone and I use my cell phone while driving and walking.  I even have a head set for my cell phone which I don’t use very often.

Jane

« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2004, 07:28:23 PM »

TCB GOOD VIBES FOR YOUR OPENING NIGHT!

CONTINUED GOOD VIBES FOR AN EASY MOVE.

Jane

« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2004, 07:31:37 PM »

Michael Shayne-best review yet.  Thank you.  Of course now more than ever I wish I could go.  We have a nice Cabaret Theater here, if only....

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2004, 07:38:47 PM »

LOL DR Jane, I doubt your are really rude!

Personally I don't care if someone calls me while they are eating, and I take calls while I am eating but I don't think anyone ever knew I was eating...or at least never mentioned it. I don't normally make any calls while eating, however as I like to give food my full attention! LOL!

Now I do find it rude if someone calls me and talks to me while they are watching television and they end up paying more attention to the TV show then to me who they called up! If the show was something they wanted to watch then why call me? My buddy Mark does that a lot, but I tell him it bugs me...maybe that is why he does it! LOL!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2004, 07:41:41 PM »

Jane - For what it's worth, I don't think you're rude.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2004, 07:45:34 PM »

DR Jane,

Oh yes, most definitely, so rude!!! You're a riot.  

Of course, it's the way callers eat (i.e., chomp) and the way they handle those car-phone conversations (radio going full blast) that turn my crank. And while I'm sure I didn't turn yours, please forgive me if I did - even if just a little.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »

MB and I were posting at the same time. Two votes for DR Jane NOT being DR Impolite Jane.
There are worse things to do than eat and phone. I've had calls from people who are... well, use your imagination. Let's say they're calling from a small room with an echo. Multi-tasking taken to the extreme.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2004, 08:16:52 PM »

First rehearsal of SOMETHING'S AFOOT was fun with those not familiar with the play enjoying its surprises as we read through it. With only a cast of 10, it should be a really fun experience putting this together (sort of a Sondheim reference).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2004, 08:30:16 PM »

Wow... now I finally have a song to sing at work so that my French co-workers can be equally as annoyed as my English ones :)

Don't you love how when songs get translated the exact meaning of the lyrics get "massaged".  This version in particular has some weird images... especially the "Devant le ciel on se dit/Que nous sommes des fourmis" part... cute though :)

I don't "get" the annoying part for that song!
Granted, the chorus played over and over becomes tiresome, but all children songs are repetitious, non?

Now, most people refer to the RIDE but the ride is something.... moving and people tend to forget that the song is played in different arrangements and style and orchestrations to fit the "country" the boat one is in goes through, with lyrics sung in the native language...

I don't know why adults seem to be embarrassed to enjoy the ride and the song which has a naive but nice message of tolerance and humanity amongst people of the world! Quite silly in 2004, I agree, and ludicrous too!
Remember, that attraction was FIRST a ride for the UNICEF Pavilion in the New York World's Fair of 1964....

Oh well, just my two euros!

I don't see a "massaged message" in "devant le ciel on se dit que nous sommes des fourmis"!
Quite literal to me: compared to the vastness of the sky we only seem to be ants....

I do know Dear Reader Pogue would quite agree with me on that!!!! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2004, 08:36:22 PM »

MB and I were posting at the same time. Two votes for DR Jane NOT being DR Impolite Jane.
There are worse things to do than eat and phone. I've had calls from people who are... well, use your imagination. Let's say they're calling from a small room with an echo. Multi-tasking taken to the extreme.

W H A T ????????
 :o

I hope they're not friends of yours..... or WERE friends of yours!!

Some people!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2004, 08:40:45 PM »

Thank you all for your lovely anniversary wishes. We had a nice mini-vacation together.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk at the Grand Canyon, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François de Paris

« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2004, 08:44:53 PM »

Thank you all for your lovely anniversary wishes. We had a nice mini-vacation together.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk at the Grand Canyon, and this is what I saw:

Gorgious picture!

But you were really walking high!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2004, 08:47:04 PM »

W H A T ????????
 :o

I hope they're not friends of yours..... or WERE friends of yours!!

Lyndon Johnson?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2004, 08:53:30 PM »

I'm relishing the silence in here now, but, every few moments, it's interrupted by the tear of a post-it note.  You wouldn't think post-it notes would need a tearing sound everytime they're used, but that's what's periodically breaking the silence.

What's going on is that Joy is proofreading my script.  Every time she makes a correction, she puts a post-it on the page.  It's nerve-racking having someone read your work.  So far, I've been the only reader.  What if it doesn't make any sense?

She already asked about a line that made no sense to her, one that references "Wheat Thins" so now I need to know: were Wheat Thins a well-known foodstuff in the early 1950s.  So much of this script needs to be "vetted" - if that's the proper term.

There's that tear again.  Arrrrgggghhh!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

François de Paris

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2004, 09:06:22 PM »

I'm relishing the silence in here now, but, every few moments, it's interrupted by the tear of a post-it note.  You wouldn't think post-it notes would need a tearing sound everytime they're used, but that's what's periodically breaking the silence.

What's going on is that Joy is proofreading my script.  Every time she makes a correction, she puts a post-it on the page.  It's nerve-racking having someone read your work.  So far, I've been the only reader.  What if it doesn't make any sense?

She already asked about a line that made no sense to her, one that references "Wheat Thins" so now I need to know: were Wheat Thins a well-known foodstuff in the early 1950s.  So much of this script needs to be "vetted" - if that's the proper term.

There's that tear again.  Arrrrgggghhh!

There's material for a song, there, I believe! :D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2004, 09:16:56 PM »

At last, my torment is over.
I can't believe I misspelled "Minsky's"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2004, 10:31:42 PM »

I don't "get" the annoying part for that song!
Granted, the chorus played over and over becomes tiresome, but all children songs are repetitious, non?

Now, most people refer to the RIDE but the ride is something.... moving and people tend to forget that the song is played in different arrangements and style and orchestrations to fit the "country" the boat one is in goes through, with lyrics sung in the native language...
I happen to LIKE the ride.  It's a celebration.  Musically, it's a bit like a "theme and variation" work, deconstructing the world and then putting it all back together for the party at the end.  (Side note: only two "USA" dolls are in the entire collection, a Cowboy and Indian as part of the finale.)

I don't know why adults seem to be embarrassed to enjoy the ride and the song which has a naive but nice message of tolerance and humanity amongst people of the world! Quite silly in 2004, I agree, and ludicrous too!  Remember, that attraction was FIRST a ride for the UNICEF Pavilion in the New York World's Fair of 1964....
AND it was sponsored by Pepsi, back in the days Joan Crawford was running the show.

Now, here's a trivia question for you, Francois, one for which I'm not sure of the answer.  Disney used AudioAnimatronics for four attractions at the 1964 World's Fair.  I remember "It's a Small World" as being the big star attraction, and the Dinosaurs (later incorporated into the Train Ride at Disneyland) as the second.  The third was "The Carousel of the Future," a GE-sponsored event, also later transferred to Disneyland (and eventually replaced with "America Sings").  

What I'm not sure of is which the fourth attraction was that Disney contributed.  I'm tempted to say it was the Abraham Lincoln exhibit, for the state of Indiana, but I'm not sure.  Do you have any records or way of verifying this?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2004, 10:45:39 PM »

Michael, I presume you're referring to the Frontiers review, re a gay man not "getting" this show.  I haven't seen it, but apparently it's our only pan.  All I can say is that paper should, like Nellie Forbush, send him on his way.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2004, 11:31:25 PM »

I wouldn't worry about Frontiers, BK.  The only real contribution to culture (as we know it) made by the magazine was when it picked up the full-page comic Leonard and Larry, the continuing adventures of a committed couple and their friends and families.  The comic had originally been carried by the Advocate, but a change in that magazine's staff led to their dropping the strip.  Frontiers picked up the strip, and let Tim Barela, it's creator, do his thing.

Three trade paperback collections later, the leadership at Frontiers changed.  The new leadership stopped paying Barela for his work, and then he was finally given the heave-ho, in favor of a far less clever (but nationally syndicated) strip called The Chelsea Boys.  All and all, the heave struck me as similar to one involving you, yourself.

Frontiers is one thing I do NOT miss about SoCal.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2004, 11:40:32 PM »

You could try writing Nabisco, which makes Wheat Thins.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2004, 11:59:50 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vibes to BK on sorting, packing, moving, repairing, etc. I KNOW what a big job it is!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up