Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME IMPROVEMENT  (Read 13435 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HOME IMPROVEMENT
« on: September 08, 2004, 11:59:14 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've digested the notes, you know the notes' deepest meanings, and now it is time to post until the intrepid and improved cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:00:21 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:HOME IMPROVEMENT
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:11:01 AM »

Good Evening! Good Morning!

Hmmm... One-shot wonders...  The only ones that come to mind right now are:

The Knack - "My Sharona"
The guy who sang "Rock Me, Amadeus"
And the group who sang "Pop, Pop... Pop Music"
Men Without Hats (I think - I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) - "Come On, Eileen"... Hmmm... Or were they responsible for "Safety Dance"?  Hmmm...

-Sorry, I'm a bit too tired/lazy right now to Google for those particular unknowns.  There were a bunch of one-hit wonders in the 80's pop-music scene.  And they were one-shot wonders for a reason.  ;)

OK... Time for me to start rolling up my sidewalk... WHAT!?!?!?!?!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 12:18:01 AM »

Just so I won't be accused of Wussbergering, I'll post. I've been on the phone for the past hour, therefore not doing exciting late posts. Not that I had anything exciting to post about...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 12:33:06 AM »

Hmmm... One-shot wonders...  The only ones that come to mind right now are:

The Knack - "My Sharona"
The guy who sang "Rock Me, Amadeus"
And the group who sang "Pop, Pop... Pop Music"
Men Without Hats (I think - I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) - "Come On, Eileen"... Hmmm... Or were they responsible for "Safety Dance"?  Hmmm...
Goodnight.

Men Without Hats did sing "Safety Dance," as well as "Who Can It Be Now?" and "Down Under" but it was Dexy's Midnight Runners who sang "Come On Eileen."  These are songs that I knew in high school.  They bring back such memories!  And not all bad ones, either. ;D  Anyway, I also remember "Pop Musik" by M (I had to look up who recorded it.  I don't think if I ever knew until now!).  And I think it was Falco who did "Rock Me, Amadeus."

Another one-hit-wonder that I LOVED was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles (it also was the very first music video shown on MTV these many years ago).  Also, "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves was one of my all time favorite hits of the 80s!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 12:37:07 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 12:36:15 AM »

Always difficult to answer if restricted to "One Hit Wonder" status as it singers often had hits in other countries and under other names.. The one or two hit songs is easier.

Star of them all was Joan Weber with "Let Me Go Lover".
Cathy Carr's "Ivory Tower" is worth a mention but she certainly had other minor chart entries.
Kyu Sakamoto's "Sukiyaki" is a classic as is "Rhythm Of The Rain" by the Cascades. I guess Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer" and The Singing Nun's "Dominique"  should get a mention.

I always like Tab Hunter's Warner Brothers recordings "There's No Fool Like A Young Fool" and "Apple Blosson Time".

A name that some DRs may know in another context (The Orr connection) or should perhaps at least by his first name) Joe Dolcé.  "Shaddup Your Face".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 12:38:45 AM »

Good night all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 12:39:09 AM »

Shame George shame. Canadian group "Men Without Hats" are not the same group as Australian hit makers "Men At Work"!

Katrina & the Waves won the Eurovison song festival for the UK a few years back with a million selling disc "Love Shine a Light"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 12:41:06 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 12:40:40 AM »

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Flip Top Box and Nee Nee Na Na Na Na Nu Nu by Dickie Do and The Don'ts, Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots by The Cheers (which included Bert Convy), Ernie Felice singing Hot Spell by Burt Bacharach.  Others will come to me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 12:58:25 AM »

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Flip Top Box and Nee Nee Na Na Na Na Nu Nu by Dickie Do and The Don'ts,

Gee, you took the words right out of my mouth.

beckon

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 04:37:46 AM »

TOD:

One hit wonders?  Well, I don't really know many off hand.  I love Mrs. Miller (mentioned by BK).  Her greatest hits are always fun to listen to, especially "Downtown" and "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'."

I will add to the list.....Yma Sumac.  I hope she counts.  She did produce a number of albums, but is mostly forgotten today.  I know her primarily through the recording of FLAHOOLEY.  I swear she sounds like a tea kettle whistling in one number! (And I mean that as a compliment)

From the world of musical theatre...how about the female lead in GREENWILLOW?  I can't remember her name right now (and I don't know where my CD copy is), but I think she has a lovely voice.  I don't think she did many other major things except for this outing.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Michael

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 04:52:53 AM »

On to work, but I liked Vicki Lawrence's The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 05:07:29 AM »

Great production for Vicki by the wonderful Tommy "Snuff"Garrett. The album produced two other really big hits here in OZ. "He Did With Me" which was #1 for a few weeks and "Ships In The Night".

I get a chance to "show off". Wow!

Many DRs will remember Vicki from her years on the Carol Burnette show.

Vicki is married to Bobby Russell - composer of "The Night the Lights..." and that classic of pop "Honey"
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 05:27:31 AM »

Another one-hit wonder, Canadian teenager Priscilla Wright?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 06:05:10 AM »

I hesitate to call Judy Tyler a one-hit wonder; she was killed in a car accident while in her 20s. She brings both strength and vulnerability to Pipe Dream's exquisite "Everybody's Got a Home But Me."

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 06:13:49 AM »

TOD:

The Escape Club - Wild, Wild West.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 06:15:57 AM »

As your question revolved around a movie star who also recorded I'll add two people who were best known in other media but did put out a few recordings: Gale ("MyLittle Margie") Storm and Sal ("They used me like you use a woman") Mineo.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 06:20:49 AM »

Remember this one?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 06:34:30 AM »

And excellent getting-first-choice-of-house vibes to BK

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 06:39:14 AM »

Fave one-hit wonders:

"Heartbeat" by The DeFranco Family.

And yes, you've been waiting for it, I can tell:

"Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 06:41:49 AM »

No, D-I-T, I don't remember Richard Burton singing "A Married Man" one of the lilting tunes from Baker Street. You have a minor classic there, methinks.

I have Baker Street on vinyl but I missed Mr. Burton's release of the single. Hmm, I'll have to go through the used 45rpm records at Footlight to see if it's there :-)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 06:42:54 AM »

Well....good first house and water heater vibes to MR BK.

I enjoyed TCB's "small world" story about WHAT IF!  

DRJOSE if you spend any more time at Best Buy, you will have to clock in.

I have a HITS CD by Mr Tab Hunter - an import - and yes his vocal ability was - uh - limited....but I still enjoy a track or two.  And Gale Storm, yes - she had her share of top 40 hits.

I love VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR as well!  And A Flock of Seagulls, I Ran so Far Away....

Hmmmmmmm one hit wonders.....Millie Small and MY BOY LOLLIPOP.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2004, 06:43:33 AM »

Oh the DeFranco Family...all those blue jumpsuits!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2004, 06:43:55 AM »

Hmmmmmm.....I really like Richard Chamberlain's LP.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2004, 06:59:01 AM »

Oh, man, One Hit Wonders are my favorites! My list would be pages long and many of them have been mentioned but I will through in a few more:

Talk Talk "Its My Life"

The Orlons "Wah Watusi" (although they did actually have another hit with "Don't Hang Up", but I will mention them anyhow)

Boys Don't Cry "I Wanna Be a Cowboy"

Edison Lighthouse "Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes" (which is a rather suggestive title if you think about it)

And if we are mentioning just celebrity one hit wonders then:

David Soul "Don't Give up on us Baby"

John Schneider "It's Now or Never" (# 14 on the top 40 pop charts, but I think he has had several hits on the country charts)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2004, 07:01:29 AM »

I need help from the other DR's!

My second set of I LOVE LUCY THE SECOND SEASON DVD's is having the same problem.  The CBS Video logo and then the "no copying" screen comes up - then DVD screen comes up that says "incompatible disk" - all of the disks do that.

This is my second set, so it is the player.  No other problems with other disks.  It is an RCA DVD Player about a year old.  Do I need to buy a new one already?

I have emailed RCA Customer Service, but well....who knows how long that will take?

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2004, 07:02:22 AM »

And on a more obscure not I have albums of Miyoshi Umeki which are excellent...she sings a mean "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and I have a very nice album by her FLOWER DRUM SONG co-star James Shigeta which I didn't care for at first, but it has now really grown on me.

And while digging through some old family albums I found that my sister had George Maharis' album. She had quite the crush on him when she was a pre-teen. I felt it my duty to inform her that her love for him could never be! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2004, 07:04:18 AM »

I need help from the other DR's!

My second set of I LOVE LUCY THE SECOND SEASON DVD's is having the same problem.  The CBS Video logo and then the "no copying" screen comes up - then DVD screen comes up that says "incompatible disk" - all of the disks do that.

This is my second set, so it is the player.  No other problems with other disks.  It is an RCA DVD Player about a year old.  Do I need to buy a new one already?

I have emailed RCA Customer Service, but well....who knows how long that will take?

Wow, that is odd. Have you tried it on any other DVD players?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2004, 07:08:49 AM »

That is my next step....sometime AFTER this play opens...LOL.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2004, 07:09:09 AM »

If memory serves (a Tenderloin reference), Alexander Cohen produced Baker Street and Richard Burton's Hamlet at around the same time - so he was able to coax RB into making the cover version of "A Married Man." Of course, all this took place around the same time as RB-Elizabeth Taylor marriage.

And DR Ben, this one isn't in my collection. I merely found it on the net, and followed DR George's instructions for copying and pasting the image.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2004, 07:14:33 AM »

And while digging through some old family albums I found that my sister had George Maharis' album. She had quite the crush on him when she was a pre-teen. I felt it my duty to inform her that her love for him could never be! LOL!

Really, now?  I guess I never heard that about Mr. Maharis.

The more important question is whether SHE kept the framed cover artwork that came with the album that I referred to a couple of weeks ago.

And I finally remembered the cut on that album that I liked.  He did a version of "The More I See You," which was the first slow version of that song I had ever heard.  After that I learned that that was the intended tempo, and the fast version (Peter Allen?) was the anomaly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up