Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MEAT OF THE NOTES  (Read 26061 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MEAT OF THE NOTES
« on: October 27, 2003, 12:52:55 AM »

Well, now that you've finished reading the notes, please comment on them and anything else you'd like to discuss, as well as the topic of the day.

I'll see you all at chat, but in the meattime, let's post until the cows come home.  Yes, Virginia, I know I wrote "meattime" - that is the title of today's notes, after all.  

« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 12:23:49 AM by bk »

Jason

Re:THE MEAT OF THE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 01:24:08 AM »

I can't bring myself to get in the bed or on the couch. What's a boy to do? I'm tired. Maybe I'll sleep in the recliner.

Michael

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 04:05:50 AM »

What a coincidence!

I also was very fond of a dish called Chicken Alberto at a restaurant that used to be on Melrose, called Pappagallo"s. Sadly, it’s also no longer there. It was potatoes, onions and chicken and onions and potatoes in delicious spices and, all sautéed together.

But closer to home I am very fond of the Chicken Marsala at the Olive Garden. I have tried it at many other restaurants and in my opinion no one has quite achieved what Olive Garden has mastered. They give you more chicken and the sauce is wonderful!

At home I can make palatable chicken catchatore
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 04:09:37 AM »

I'm still finding it near impossible to naviagate at HHW (I'm bringing in the big guns, i.e., my so-boring but helpful computer guru) this week. But it's a bit easier to post first thing in the morning. I feel I should concentrate on major matters, so I'll start with Jason's mouse. Have you tried those hardware-store plug-ins that emit teeny noises that no human (apart from my partner's cousin) can hear, but drive mice nuts? They worked in our place. And everyone says a cat - or even the smell of one (can you borrow a feline?) - helps. You are far too young to be sleeping in a recliner.

Maya, that was a superb review. Is there any way that your constructive criticisms can reach the people who can change things? When Kiss of the Spiderwoman premiered in Toronto, we sat in the first row and were put off by Chita Rivera's sagging arms. I did write a note suggesting she wear longer sleeves, but don't know if anyone listened.

Chicken? My favorite is a simple roast chicken, with lots of coarse salt sprinkled over the bird before cooking, to make the skin crisp. I do make a mean fried chicken if I say so myself. It's from a kosher  cookbook, so there's no soaking in buttermilk. And, oddly, you dip the pieces in the flour and then the egg.

I was pleased to see that the NY Times ran an article this morning on the Boy from Oz - giving some hope that the show will survive on the strength of Hugh Jackman's performance. (The producers also ran a full-page ad in yesterday's Times, with the words "A Huge ... " appearing just below Mr. J's crotch.) I'm hoping that word of mouth will help, too, and I can't believe I'm alone in thinking the show worked well, with moments that were dazzling, and others that were quite touching.

I won't say how long it took me to post these paragraphs - even first thing, the site is sluggish for me. I just hope I won't have to press control/alt/delete to exit - as has been the case.

A good day to everyone.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 04:22:02 AM »

I was to tired to post when I got home last night, but I had a wonderful time in Orlando. So wonderful that I am going back next weekend.

This main reason I went is that I have a friend who is an actor there and he is performing as the narrator in Hayride at Disney's For Wilderness. It is a hayride in the dark and the story of the legend of Sleepy Hollow is told. The 25 minutes was a very enjoyable theatrical experience and I recommend it for. I will not give a blow by blow description of the event as to not spoil it for anyone. If you have seen it and would like to talk about it let's do it via email.

The reason why I am off to Orlando again next week is that I have been watching the birth of a new musical over the past few year. I saw its second production at the late Disney Institute and a couple of readings since then. They had a reading/workshop in NYC this past winter and the creators were hard at work revising the show.

The musical is called HOLMES and it is a brand new story of Sherlock Holmes. My friend Mr. Gary Life is playing Moriarity a role he is has been doing since its inception through all its productions and readings. He is once again playing the role next weekend and I am looking forward to seeing the changes.

I will have a report on it next Sunday.

Well I will look over the notes for Saturday and Sunday and I will post my comments (if any) here. This new board is addictive and I missed it the last two days!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 04:56:24 AM »

A belate Happy Birthday to JED I hope is was a happy and festive one. Good health and happiness for the year to come.

To answer Saturday's question. Although there were books written about it I think I would loved to have been there for Show Boat from its inception to the rehersals to its Washington opening and finally Broadway.

I see that DR Jay, Donna also felt this way!!!

DR Michael Barnum glad to see you got the picture thing down. I had problems too. I think it stemed from trying to preview it (which for me didn't work) and then trying to post it. It didn't work. So I attatched the photo and hit post and it usally worked.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 05:10:36 AM »

God  I thought I was the only one who thought DR Michael Barnum looked liked Cal Border!! Glad to see I wasn't the only.

Bruce when you were eating your Chinese food on Saturday where you eating it in bed?

Gave Geordie MC a Karma point for the wonderful pics of BK at his reading.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 05:13:17 AM »

Hey, folks. Just finished the last of yesterdays notes and I sit here in a slight fog because over my very busy theatre weekend I caught a slight cold. I have a headache and I'm a little stuffed up but I'll live.

Saw the Musicals in Mufti concert of Lucky Stiff. BK got a slight mention in the program saying that he had preserved the score on a Varese Sarbande recording. It was great fun. Mary Testa is a HOOT! I'll post more later because since it's slightly after 8am I really need to begin working for my real employer instead of playing at HHW.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 05:16:58 AM »

Forgot the most important thing to post.

Welcome Back DR Sandra. Glad you're here again.

DR Laura, love the goose.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 05:18:45 AM »

Thanks also to the anonymous Karma giver(s). It is a sweet thing to log on and see my karma points rise. Thanks to one and all, whomever you may be.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 05:28:09 AM »

Jeff Stryjer is on this board! Wow!!

Happy Birthday to WLAJB who joined us yesterday night!

Well I am off to work, I will have to catch up on the balance of Friday's postings when I come home.

So much reading to catch up with when you missed a couple of days!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 05:43:54 AM »

MDS:
I have been watching the birth of a new musical over the past few year. I saw its second production at the late Disney Institute

The Disney Institute?  What was that?  I've never heard of it, but if it had something to do with the creation of new musicals, I'm fascinated.  You don't mean the ASCAP/Disney workshop which is run by ASCAP but located in Disney's commissary in Burbank?

Best fried chicken was at Mrs. Wilkes in Savannah on our honeymoon.

My mother's simple chicken recipe: mix the same amounts of honey and French's yellow mustard, add curry powder to taste.  Drizzle over chicken breasts and cook at 350 until done.  It doesn't taste like any of those ingredients but something wholly other.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 06:03:44 AM »

Well, folks, we will try the airport again this morning. But if the flights are too terribly delayed or the airports are closed, I may just drive her home to day.

Re the goose: I left the computer, and DR Sandra posted that while I was away.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2003, 06:07:26 AM »

I "slept" in the recliner. I probably got about an hour and half of real sleep. I'm not going to enjoy a full 8 hours at work.

Laura: Safe journey to L.A.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2003, 06:14:58 AM »

Sorry I was E&T all weekend.  I never turned my computer on since I had so much else to do.  It's a busy day at work today, but I wanted to check in anyway  When I have a little time I'll read the weekend notes and posts.

One reason it was so busy was that I saw three shows.  I really enjoyed WICKED despite a few problems.  It was a lot more different from the book than I expected, but I think it will get reasonably good reviews and have a decent run.  When I have more time I'll try and post what I feel are the problems with the show.

NYCO's 1987 new production of THE MAGIC FLUTE was the first time that they had ever done it in German.  In 2003 it is the same production only now being sung in English.  Since the whole cast seems to have taken diction lessons from Patti LuPone they still used supertitles so you could understand what they were singing, and despite the diction the voices were excellent.  In either language it's a good production of one of my favorite operas.

Mufti is in it's 14th season and I have seen every show since the end of the 3rd.  I have rarely seen such great audience response as at LUCKY STIFF.  Per the discussion group the initial production was not successful because the staging was too busy.  In this reading without the sets and all the running around the sheer brilliance of the book and score came out helped by a cast that featured many of the original performers --- notably Mary Testa --- plus Malcom Gets.  (BK - since you are mentioned in the program notes I'm sending you a copy of the program)

Tonight we have tickets for the benefit to help find new jobs for dancers who have grown too old to dance.  It's a salute to Hollywood and some of the people appearing (some dancing, some not) are Cyd Charisse, Esther Williams, Ann & Bebe, Chita, et. al.  The late Donald O'Conner was initially scheduled to appear but  he will be honored by a special award.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2003, 06:18:41 AM »

Oh, gosh! I'm a fried chicken junkie. I've loved it my whole life, and the miracle is that I don't have off-the-charts cholesterol because I do eat a lot of the stuff, most of which I fry myself in my very own deep fat fryer. Sorry, but I just don't care for chicken which has been fried in the pan. I have my own recipe for batter, and I do like my fried chicken. (And being a Southerner, we're known for it. I also do a mean barbecued cornish game hen, but that's another story.)

In Charlotte, there is one place that makes fried chicken known far and wide: Price's Chicken Coop. I have to admit that even they beat my fried chicken. I wish I could get the recipe for their batter.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 06:28:59 AM »

I like fried chicken an awful lot - but not the fact that it takes oh so healthy chicken and turns it into an indulgence.

My grandmother (Baba) had a recipe for fried chicken that involved soaking it in ORIGINAL whole evaporated milk and spices and then frying it TWICE.

Now she makes a "fake fried chicken" dish that includes the soaking and the breading - but it's baked, not fried.  IMHO it tastes about the same but the texture is a little different.

Jason, we should send Micheal Moore to your mouse-filled apartment.  I'm sure he will blame US foreign policy on your violent rage. :)

I am off to school and then work but will be back later!

Ooh I am going to receive Avenue Q and Zanna Don't today from Andrea - my cutoms cheater associate.

Did we pay customs fees?  No!  Thanks Jennifer for the hint! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 07:18:10 AM »

:D
What lovely posts and photos yesterday!
DR Maya thanks for the Bounce review!

And Jed you will enjoy 8 Women!!!

I got it earlier this year on the recommendation of the DR's at HHW and I like it a LOT!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2003, 07:19:32 AM »

Oh, I like chicken salad sandwiches, and chicken and noodles.  I am not crazy about fried chicken, but I like a chicken alfredo, or any type of pasta with chicken!

But I don' like Chicken McNuggets even though parts is parts.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2003, 07:28:23 AM »

Oooh, fried chicken is my favorite! Yep, yep, yum! My mom made the best fried chicken in the world, with mashed potatoes and gravy and oh golly, it was tasty! Of course she doesn't make it anymore  :'(   now it is all that healthy stuff like baked chicken breasts, which oddly enough is what I eat several nights a week for dinner myself because it is healthy and easy to make on my George Forman grill! LOL!

Matt H. are you a fan of Jeff Richard's? I saw your post yesterday referring to him in 7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS.
I wish I had a good pic of him to post. I will have to see what I can find!

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 07:28:35 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :D GOOD MORNING ONE AND ALL (and also all and one)! :D[/move]

Chicken: I'm partial to the Colonel's chicken myself. Original recipe. I also had the best Lemon Chicken at Mama Rose Restaurant in Costa Mesa, CA, last month. Very moist, not a dry spot on it. Mmm...delicious.

I'm very busy right now completing the Cabaret West Calendar for November. Two items that may be of interest for some Hainsies and Kimlets are:

Brent Barrett and Karen Mason will be appearing together at Osher-Marin JCC in San Rafael on November 22. Their website is marinjcc.com. Select Performing Arts when you get there and scroll down. Word of Warning: The description doesn't mention Brent but it did a month ago. I went to Brent's and Karen's sites and neither of them list the show. Best bet is to check with Osher-Marin directly.

110 in the Shade will be at the Pasadena Playhouse here in California from June 18-July 25, 2004. Their website is pasadenaplayhouse.org.

Gotta go! Have a great chat tonight!

P.S. I guess you are aware that practically all of Southern California is burning from wildfires. The ash and soot in the air reaches all the way to the coastline. Very scary.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 07:35:49 AM by Donna »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2003, 07:29:56 AM »

Well it works with a big honkin' white border around it.  Hmmm.....
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2003, 07:44:04 AM »

DR JMK, that 110 X 150 refers to the pixel measurements of the photo. Do you want me to resize it for you? I'll be glad to try if you'd like.

DR MBarnum, yes, I've always had a thing for Jeff Richards. I first remember seeing him in an MGM B-movie called CODE TWO. He got killed in that movie, and I was not a happy camper. Obviously, he was merely serving out his MGM contract to be a part of SEVEN BRIDES since he could neither sing nor dance. Nope, that's not his voice singing "Rock 'n' Roll Tumbleweed" in THE OPPOSITE SEX, but he looks good enough to eat in that movie.

Any pics of him you could find would be met by grateful eyes on this end.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2003, 07:47:30 AM »

Uhg, I don't want to be at work today!  

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »

DR Matt H., you have not really seen a Jeff Richards' movie until you have seen ISLAND OF LOST WOMEN! He and John Smith run around an island with there shirts off for a good part of the film! LOL!

I am happy to say that Mr. Richards is/was a native Oregonian as well!

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2003, 07:56:53 AM »

You're right, I haven't seen ISLAND OF LOST WOMEN. I think probably the title would have scared me away before watching. Sounds like a Grade Z sci-fi 1950s flick even though I know it's not. I'll keep my eyes open for a showing of it.

I don't know why Jeff didn't get a TV cop show like HAWAIIAN EYE or 77 SUNSET STRIP in the 1960s. He had the looks for such shows.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2003, 07:58:44 AM »

Good morning to all.  :D
Hmm...chicken dishes...I'm a huge chicken fan..so let's do these by category
Chinese - There's a restaraunt near the university called Happy Dragon.  They sell the best orange chicken I have ever tasted.  Nice and crispy with a dark spicy orange sauce...mmm
Thai - Oddly enough, the best Thai food I've ever tried is in the Tacoma Mall, and their Pad Kee Mao with chicken is my absolute favorite.
Italian - Chicken and alfredo pizza from the Olive Garden.  I don't know if they still have it, but they did at one point, and it was to die for.
American - Can't go wrong with a good chicken salad sandwich
Not a huge fried chicken fan, actually.  In fact, I'm not overly fond of chicken breasts or wings.  There's a very good reason for this.  When I was younger, during high school, I had a job working in the kitchen of a retreat center.  One of the cook's favorite things to make was baked chicken with BBQ sauce.  As i was working with a bunch of veggies who refused to touch meat, I was ALWAYS the one who had to deal with bags of frozen chicken breasts, pulling off the skin and fat that was still frozen to the meat.  *shudder* As a result I spent the better part of those summers up to my elbows in raw chicken.  To this day I cannot eat chicken on the bone.  I like my chicken nicely cut up and covered in sauce, and devoid of any remnants of skin, bone, or cartilage.
There's my appetizing story for the day....  :P

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2003, 08:09:07 AM »

Yum, chicken.  My mother made a few chicken dishes when I was growing up that I remember fondly - one was your basic shake-n-bake thing with drumsticks and Season-All.  It was very tasty.  When she got bored with that, she started marinating thighs or drumsticks in white wine, with garlic, sauteed onions, and rosemary.  She also made this Chinese dish where she'd cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces, marinate them in some kind of soy sauce thingamajig with green onions (I don't know what else was in it) and steam the whole thing.  It was fantastic mixed into a bowl of rice.  I was always partial to mom's chicken because she was better at cooking it than, say, pasta (ecch).

I am also partial to fried chicken, especially Popeye's, but I try not to eat it too much.  When I lived in London I ate a lot of chicken sandwiches from the Colonel, as I strangely found them much tastier there than stateside.  Once in a while I'll go for chicken tenders or nuggest from fast-food joints or diners, but I was so traumatized by that news story a few years back where this woman found a deep fried chicken head in her McNuggets that it's sort of put me off that kind of thing.

I am not generally fond of dishes like chicken parmigiana, but I went to a restaurant here in NYC called Carmine's where all the food is served in enormous family style portions, and the chicken parmigiana was out of this world.  The only trouble is amassing an army to help you eat it!  :)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2003, 08:18:30 AM »

Oh, I forgot a couple (now I have really made myself ravenous) - I very much like chicken katsu, which is Japanese-style fried chicken and a very popular meal in Hawaii.  And I like the marinated chicken you can get at Korean barbecue restaurants, where you cook your own food over hot coals at your table.  So good!

And now to jump to a completely unpalatable topic.. DR Jason, I am sorry the mice have invaded your bed.  We had the same problem in the previous apartment, and my roommate didn't sleep well for a month.  She also felt that a sacred line separating her bed from the rest of the apartment had been irreparably crossed.  Also, because we had loft beds in that apartment, it was all the more appalling that they climbed all the way up there.  I hate to trap mice, but I always preferred to use glue traps instead of the poison pellets because with the latter, the mice would eat the poison and then go elsewhere to die, and you'd have to follow the awful smell to find and dispose of them.  I hope those plug-in repellent things have some positive effect.

Have you checked for holes in the walls near your radiator?  Because the radiator was attached to the wall, our mice liked to chew their way in through there.  I also suspect that they came in through the stove pipes, but could never figure out how because the pilot light was always on.

I hope your lease is up soon and you can get the heck out of that apartment!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Ben

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2003, 08:31:13 AM »

A Picture of LC Hoo and Ray,  :o we finally get to see what you look like. Not that we at HHW judge on anything as superficial as looks (ignore all those references to the hot picture DR MBarnum posted over the weekend). Just good to put a face to a name.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up