Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MEAT OF THE NOTES  (Read 26093 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:THE MEAT OF THE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2003, 08:32:11 AM »

William E. Lurie:  I would LOVE to read about your reactions to "Wicked." When you do your report on what you feel are problems with the show, I think it would be really special to learn what you find praiseworthy, too.

Chicken:  One thing I've learned in my 55 years on earth is that when someone tells you some other meat "tastes just like chicken," it really DOESN'T!

My mother's fried chicken is my favorite thing in the whole world (join the club, right?).  She removes the skin, soaks the chicken in buttermilk, and then uses Bisquick for coating it.  "Sometimes," for a change, she'll mix corn meal into the Bisquick to give the crust an extra bite.

The best "other" chicken I've had was in Naples, Italy, near the villa I rented on a lake north of Naples.  There was a stretch of road...with various shops, etc.  Alongside the road, one of the shops set up a rotisserie and was cooking chickens, nicely spiced with the seasonings Italians use in all their cooking.  I bought a nice whole chicken for Lire 5,000 (at the time, that was about $4).  It was totally s-c-r-u-m-p-t-i-o-u-s.  I meant to share it with my cats at the time, but I had a change of heart and gave them their regular cat food before tearing into that succulence of roasted bird.

But my cats would have NONE of that....they literally climbed up my legs to get at that olfactory fabulousity.  I had to give them half the chicken.

Boy!  Were we a happy threesome!  The first time was best, of course, but all the other times were special, too.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 08:38:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2003, 08:33:16 AM »

And with that little post we jumped over to Page 2. Hoo and Ray again. That sounds like a 1960s comedy team. [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]"Lets hear it for Hoo and Ray" "Yay, yay, clap, clap, unseemly noise, etc."[/move]

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2003, 08:40:21 AM »

Well I believe I have joined the 21st century and successfully uploaded my strangely fuzzy pic.  It turns out Picture It, when it resizes, does not reduce the pixel count, hence the huge white border (but at least I gave us all, or at least me, some personal space).  So I had to go to another picture editor to actually reduce pixels.  There, wasn't that fascinating?   ???
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2003, 08:40:45 AM »

This is just an experiment with the "Quick-Reply" box at the bottom of the postings. I've never used it before and wanted to see if posting here was any different from a regular reply.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2003, 08:45:47 AM »

Wow, all my profile addenda is retroactive to previous posts.  Now there are pictures of me all over the friggin' place.

So now I have a new dumb question--why is my picture fuzzy when everyone else's is sharp as a tack.  Even that pic I put in the post is sharp.  But my profile pic isn't.  This isn't a Dorian Gray type thing is it, because I am feeling a little fuzzy this morning.  :P

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2003, 08:49:25 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good morning DRs![/move]

What an appetizing topic of the day...I love chicken, and have been eating a lot of it lately.  In fact, my mom cooked chicken patties last night.  I love fried chicken (especially Popeye's) but try not to eat too much of it.  A girl sort of has to watch her figure, you know?  Chicken Parmagiana, chicken in wine sauce, General Tso's Chicken (taking a page from DR Jennifer), and mandarin chicken are other favorites...though I will not turn down a good box of Chicken McNuggets or a Crispy Chicken Sandwich from McDonald's.  

Sandra--(from last night's posts)  I think writing a paper on how Da Vinci was not the ideal Renaissance Man is a great idea!  Hooray for contrariness! BTW....do you really think my pic looks a little like the Mona Lisa??  This is about the 3rd time I have heard this, and I'm beginning to question the idea of looking like a famous painting, hehe.

Ben--thanks for the report on Lucky Stiff!  I do need to buy the album one of these days....and I absolutely love Mary Testa.

Dan and Jrand--thanks so much for the compliments on my "review!"  Dan, I don't know if there's any place I could send my comments, though if I did, it would be anonymously of course.  WB...it's nice to see you post again, and I hope your computer troubles are at an end.  

Jason--I LOVE that you put Wonder Woman as your pic!   ;D  So funny!

WEL--thanks for telling us about the recent shows (and opera) you saw!

LC--So nice to see a pic of you!  I think you are very pretty!  

Hmmm...I guess I should go and get my sociology homework done...I'll try to post later, and I should be at the chat tonight...

Ciao, bellas! (and bellos)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2003, 08:59:26 AM »

JMK: Glad you got your photo to work - I have to take down the border post because it changed the size of that page, which pixels seem to do - damn them, damn them all to hell.  Mr. Mark Bakalor informed me that he'll answer questions as he can but that he doesn't want to be "tethered" to the board.  I think he got burned out from working so many hours to get this thing and the site working properly.  However, I think we can pretty much figure things out for ourselves from now on.

I'm already hungry for chicken.  

Now, dance baby.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 09:00:46 AM by bk »

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2003, 08:59:48 AM »

Favorite chicken: pineapple chicken (but not breaded too much).

OMG and a huge thank you to DR George.  Apparently we were having the exact same problem when trying to post pictures.

We would use "reply" (not quick reply), we would "browse", take our photo and it would 'attach' in the attach column. But when we'd preview it, nothing would happen. And the attach column would then be empty (above it would say attach: whatever our pic was).

DO NOT PREVIEW FIRST. I can't believe we didn't figure this part out sooner (DR Mark suggested it to George). I preview everything. I had no idea people weren't previewing first.

Why did nobody else think of this? :)

Oy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

JMK: Your pic may be fuzzy because it's SO low in size (not pixels) - remember you can make it anything below 100kb safely.  Try 50 - mine is something like 40 and it's fine.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2003, 09:10:36 AM »

Jennifer,
you must not have received my reply to your e-mail about the "preview" and the "pictures not showing up". I found I had the same trouble when I would try to post a photo and it would not show up when I previewed.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2003, 09:10:51 AM »

Chicken is so versatile!  My favorite chicken dishes are:

Chicken Kiev--I just love the way the garlic butter bursts out when you first cut into it

Chicken Parmagiana--Yum!

Chicken roast on a Webber grill--I love the way those Webbers produce crispy skin and moist meat
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jason

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2003, 09:19:48 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words of sympathy and encouragement. Like I said, I got about two hours of sleep (from 6:00 to 8:00), but I still feel violated and my skin crawls whenever I step foot in my apartment. That's a horrible feeling, but I'll get over it. I guess I sort of have to.

Things here at MTI are weird. We have A LOT of people out today from the clerical dept., which is what I normally do, but this week I'm answering the phones, so I'm E&T from filing, as well. As a matter of fact, I'm the only one answering phones today. We'll see how THAT goes.

Favorite chicken dishes? Hmmm...well, I do so love chicken in nearly any form.  I love, love, love my dad's fried chicken. He used to work for KFC, you know, so he does chicken right, and my mom takes care of the yummy side dishes that she does oh so well. The only side that my dad makes to accompany the chicken is the homemade gravy. Now my stomach is growling. They always make me a lovely fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes (with loads of yummy margarine), green beans with cayenne pepper, corn (which my mom creams herself--it's FANTASTIC), sauteed carrots, homemade biscuits and, of course, the gravy with the leftover crispies from the chicken mixed in. I want to go home...

I also enjoy a good chicken piccata, chicken marsala, fettucine alfredo with grilled chicken, Kentucky Fried Chicken (again with the fried), and my absolute favorite chicken sandwich and/or nuggets in the world--Chik-Fil-A.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2003, 09:26:09 AM »

MBarnum:  I have decided to cancel any and all future vacation plans, and instead spend every spare moment I have searching all of Washington State looking for Cal Bolder.  I wonder if the publisher of his novel could give any help in tracking him down?

Donna:  I am happy to know that Brent Barrett is still going to be in concert in California in November.  I had heard that he was going to have to cancel, because he had extended his run in Chicago.

Jason:  I was the one that apologized for taking your mouse house situation too lightly.  I am sorry you had such a miserable night last night, and hopefully with the help of the apartment's owner, tonight will be les miserable ( No groaning)

My favorite chicken recipe is one that my dear friend,   Lorna, used to make for me called Chicken Papprykarz (or popperkosh) with lots of sour cream and paparika and served with homemade dumplings.  Yum!!!!  She passed away suddenly last year, and the recipe was apparently one she kept in her head, and not on paper.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2003, 09:27:02 AM »

Maya: I couldn't stand to look at myself any longer and the Wonder Woman picture was just so funny I couldn't help myself. I secretly keep hoping she'll come along and crash her wrists together and get rid of my mice.

Jay reminded me of yet another favorite chicken dish: Stuffed chicken parm. I love, love, love it with angel-hair pasta and a nice salad, minestrone soup and bread sticks. YUM!

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2003, 09:31:00 AM »

No, DR JMK, yours is not the only pic in slightly soft focus. Mine looks like I'm hiding a face lift (which I most definitely have NOT had nor will I), also due as bk suggested to the small size of the file. I've been tinkering with another pic but haven't decided if I'm going to stay with the one here or try another one. We'll see.

Jason

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2003, 09:35:08 AM »

Oooh! Chicken and dumplings are awfully tasty, too.

TCB: Don't feel bad...I took it lightly, too, until the gross little bugger crawled into my sleeping space. It's one thing for it to be on my floor...it's a whole other situation to have it where I sleep.

LC: I've been told I should lay out glue traps once the poison pellets have been out for a day or two...that way they'll be trapped while they're still alive as opposed to going off and dying somewhere where they'll stink. I just don't think I could deal with having a live mouse trapped and then having to throw it out while its still living. YUCK!!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2003, 09:35:41 AM »

Well, my mail just arrived and I got BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES and the Sherlock Holmes box set which should make for a pleasant afternoon of viewing. (I'll be starting with SHERLOCK HOLMES FACES DEATH, one of my favorites in the entire series.)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2003, 09:41:56 AM »

Ann:  Is Happy Dragon the one over there on 6th Avenue, near UPS?  Have you ever tried their crab wontons?  They are out of this world.
“One thing’s universal,

Jay

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2003, 09:43:48 AM »

Dear Readers--

I think my house is cursed.  It started last month when the gizmo on my refrigerator that lets you get chilled water through the door stopped working.  Then a huge antique mirror I have fell off the wall.  (Luckily, there was no damage.  The screws that secured one of the hooks to the mirror frame pulled out of the wood.)  Then my automatic garage door opener stopped working and needed to be repaired.  At around the same time, the slab in my garage started to lift and sink in various places and break up.  Sure enough, I had a huge tree root growing in places where it shouldn't have been and I had to have the old slab busted out and a new slab poured.  Then, over the weekend, I heard noises from my hot water heater that I knew I should not have been hearing.  My plumber was just here and he informed me that I am in need of a new hot water heater.  What next?  All this reminds me of The Money Pit.

Jason

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2003, 09:45:56 AM »

You sure it's not more like GHOSTBUSTERS, Jay, and not THE MONEY PIT? Or POLTERGEIST?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 09:46:34 AM by Jason »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2003, 09:46:20 AM »

At last, HHW has their very own, goth Maya Lisa!
“One thing’s universal,

Jay

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2003, 09:52:53 AM »

Hey Jason--

Maybe we could get a volume discount from a bi-coastal  exorcist--you for your mice, me for my poltergeist!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2003, 09:54:35 AM »

Item the First:

I have grave concern about BK biting the bullet – sounds extremely dangerous; obviously our esteemed BK has not graduated from an Eddie Eagle course.

Item the Second:

Chicken!

The most interesting chicken dish I ever had was after I spent the afternoon shooting the rapids at Pagsanjan Falls in the Philippines. Getting to dinner was half the fun. I was on a weekend tour filled with fellow sailors. Before the tour got underway, the guide suggested we bring no watches or jewelry and to put most of our folding currency in our sock – seems as how roving bandits often holds up the bus. On this encouraging note, we set off for the hinterlands south of Manila. One hint that you are getting “away from it all” is when you notice that there is no longer and electric wires running beside the highway (read dirt track). Another sight not common in California is the sight of Water Buffalo slogging thru the mucky fields with a local following behind with a curiously shaped wooden thingy (calling a “plow” would give it a dignity it did not deserve – (the wooden thingy, not the local). We made a brief noon stop at a village, which prided itself on its woodcarvings. We were given a fascinating tour of the local factory.

OSHA ALERT! Dangerous work practices ahead!

The factory was dark and gloomy (probably due to the lack of electricity) and when your eyes adjusted to the gloom, you could see the native workers sitting barefoot on the floor while they hacked away at a log of mahogany clutched between their naked feet (somehow “clutching” seems a strange verb to use when referring to feet, but, whatever). And to my great wonderment, before we left, we were given an opportunity to make a purchase (the selections ranged from Madonnas (The Blessed Mother, not the Material Girl), through elaborate crucifixes (prop material for Exorcist or Omen), to small statues with enormous endowment, the term “tumescent” comes to mind, (prop material for the Devil in Miss Jones).

The rickety old bus then commenced a lengthy mountain climb to our destination (The Inn of the Unflushables) just in time for the afternoon festivities.

PETA ALERT! Disgusting animal abuse ahead.

For our delight we were treated to a series of cock fights (razor equipped bandy roosters in a dirt pit, not naked randy gay men in bath house).

For the evening banquet we were served not-still-living chicken. It was a Philippine version of baked road kill with roasted veggies. (This bird was so malnourished it made a free-range chicken look like a butterball turkey – think large, scrawny pigeon.) There was little meat on the foul fowl, so one resorted to stripping the bones with ones teeth (whilst singing “Henry the Eighth I Am”). Actually the meat was quite flavorful, if not adequately portioned. Inasmuch as two of my dinner companions were still concerned about the fate of the afternoon contestants, I had a chance to strip two more of god’s creatures to get my fill.

The next day was a glorious trip in a canoe, shooting the rapids through a primeval jungle gorge with cascades of orchids lining the walls. See here for details.

Since this is a chicken story, I’ll end my tale at this point. (The next day’s culinary extravaganza was a pit-roasted boar.)

Ever-adventurous der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2003, 09:55:29 AM »

8)

I'm hungry. That's all I have to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2003, 09:59:43 AM »

Matt H--I don't think your picture looks soft focus at all.  Now JMK's photo is a different story.  All the ones I tried were so out of focus that I ended up taking them off completely.   I will take Bk.’s advice, and try at home tonight to resize them.  Of course, looking in the mirror this morning, it may be my face that is out of focus, and not the photos. 8)
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2003, 10:12:51 AM »

MBarnum wrote:
Jennifer,
you must not have received my reply to your e-mail about the "preview" and the "pictures not showing up". I found I had the same trouble when I would try to post a photo and it would not show up when I previewed.

Nope, I did not receive a reply. When sending messages thru here, you can send a copy to your own box, to make sure it goes through.

So you mean I could have known this yesterday? :)

If you want to test a message, you can send another to me.

Ha, that is one of the only features here I got on the first try :)

How bizarre that people who preview (and try to make sure their posts are errorfree) would get penalized.

Actually, I think I would have figured this out today on my own. IT was something DR RonP said when trying to help me.  I asked what appeared on his screen during previewing a picture. And he said he'd never done it that way.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2003, 10:18:12 AM »

Here is my pic. Guess which one I am?  ;)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2003, 10:25:06 AM »

...let's post until the cows come home.  

Considering today's topic, wouldn't "Chickens come home to roost" be a more appropriate idiom than your "cows come home". After all, this is "Chicken or the Egg" day, not "Where's the Beef?".

Ever-critical der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2003, 10:25:10 AM »

Does

JMK

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2003, 10:25:43 AM »

using this

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up