Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RODRIGUEZ EFFECT  (Read 22656 times)

Emily

Re:THE RODRIGUEZ EFFECT
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2004, 04:36:03 PM »

DR Danise,

Yep, latkes are potato pancakes - traditionally served at Chanukah, though I could eat them any time.

Heck... I DO eat them anytime and I'm not even Jewish :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2004, 04:38:48 PM »

Danise, that's exactly how I make them. The trick is to squeeze out as much water from the potatoes as possible. And I like them with homemade applesauce, although some people prefer sour cream.

Danise

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2004, 04:48:35 PM »

I cover mine with Heinz ketchup.  Yum!

Now I want some.  Maybe this weekend.  You have to make them fast or the potatos turn black so it's kinda hard to do on a work week.

DR Jane, I sent you an e-mail but it seemed to hang up in the outbox again.  I don't know if it went out or not.  I'm starting to hate that.  :(

DR TD, that's the Meatloaf DVD I just got!  I'm so looking forward to watching it!  We'll have to compare notes.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2004, 04:50:13 PM »

Good Evening!

Oh, how I wish I was up in NYC right now, but today in DC wasn't too bad, and I could actually use the night off to rest right now.

The Big River auditions went well, and I was able to touch base with a bunch of people I haven't seen in a while - which is what usually happens when I play auditions.  However, today, there were two people who swore I had worked with them sometime in the past two years - "Good to to see you again!".  They mentioned the show and theatres, and no matter how much I tried to tell them I was doing another show at the time, or that could not have possibly been me...  A couple of years ago, I know I had a "twin" working in the southern states.  I wonder if he's started coming North.  ;)  Even the director, Jeff Calhoun, kept thinking I had played for a workshop that he had directed.  -And I'm pretty sure that today was the first time I had met him, although I've seen him on-stage and at various theatre functions.  Hmm...

They have callbacks tomorrow, but I'll be across the street in tech rehearsals from Noon-4:00 and then from 7:00-11:00 - long dinner break.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 05:11:41 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2004, 04:51:18 PM »

OH!!! Note to Actors:  If you're coming into an audition for a musical, that usually means that you should bring music with you.

-Ya think?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2004, 04:55:19 PM »

And Second Note to Actors:  Please, Please, Please (that was three Please's), make sure the music you bring into your audition is actually music with a vocal line AND a piano part - or at least chords for me to fake!

-Some people just couldn't understand why I wasn't able to keep up with them.  One song even had a 16-bar instrumental break... Which was indicated with a 16-bar "rest" marking... "Why did you stop?"

AARRGGHHH!!!

-The sad part about all of this, unfortunately, is that this kind of stuff happens all the time.  Amateurs.  Community theatre.  Professional.  Broadway and tour auditions.  AARRGGHHH!!

OK - Venting over.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2004, 04:59:11 PM »

In other news....

Latkes - I love 'em!  However, it's just amazing what passes for latkes in some of the so-called delis in New York City.  They're more like over-sized hash-brown patties that have been deep-fried.

-And I even like some of the new-fangled varieties with other vegetables in them (carrots, zucchini, etc.)

The big quandary for me is usually:  Sour Cream?  or Apple Sauce?  or Both?

*And New Yorkers, please note:  The Edison Cafe in the Edison Hotel (also known as The Polish Tea Room) makes latkes on Wednesdays.  Very good!  "Just like mom used to make" is heard a lot on Wednesdays.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2004, 05:01:06 PM »

OH!!!!!

But Olga Rodriguez did make it to her audition today on time!  She sang "I'm Still Here".  First verse in English.  Second verse in Catalan.  Third verse in Russian.

-Boy, was the spittle flying!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2004, 05:01:12 PM »

HBO now works on my TV! I guess it took more than the promised 15 minutes to unscramble it, but suddenly it's fine. So TONIGHT I can watch the Peter Sellers film on HBO2.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2004, 05:02:17 PM »

..And for some strange reason, all this talk of latkes has started me thinking of.... poutine.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2004, 05:04:14 PM »

DR Jane - As far as my niece this morning...  As it turned out, my mother had to stay home this morning to work on orders for the nursing home, so... But she did give me a little kiss and a somewhat tentative hug... Once her mother "asked" her to.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2004, 05:05:45 PM »

I guess you don't have to be Jewish to like them.  My Mom made them for me when I was growing up all the time.  The only problem was scraping them. Ouch!  That hurt if you were not careful!

Let's see, it's potatos, egg, flour and a little onion.  Is that how you make yours?

You can also find a recipe for German potato pancakes.  My mom is German (and Catholic) and she made them all the time that I was growing up.  I would assume that they're very similar to latkes...maybe just variations on a theme. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2004, 05:06:01 PM »

-Just a clarification - when I said in my previous post that my mother was working on orders for the nursing home I wasn't implying that she was trying to get someone into a nursing home... Rather, she is the food service director for a nursing home, and she finds it easier to call her purveyors and place her food orders from home than it is from her continually busy office.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2004, 05:06:48 PM »

Now I want some.  Maybe this weekend.  You have to make them fast or the potatos turn black so it's kinda hard to do on a work week.

Also, my mom (a nurse) added a couple of vitamin E capsules and that seemed to help with the color change. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2004, 05:06:54 PM »

Yes.  I've had some sugar recently...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2004, 05:09:07 PM »

Oh, come ON, Jose.  I mean, really.  Get with the program.  If I bring the sheet music, the next thing your going to expect is that it be in MY key!  Then how am I going to shoot you dirty looks and blame the piano player for my sounding bad????  Sheesh! :o   ;D  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2004, 05:09:44 PM »

Some acidulated water - just add a squeeze or two of lemon juice to the water - also helps too.  And be sure to save some of the potato starch that settles on the bottom of the bowl.  That helps keep the latkes together, and helps to brown and crisp up too.  -Of course, you can also buy potato starch in most Koher sections of the grocery store.  Then there's always the matzo meal route...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2004, 05:10:32 PM »

Oh, come ON, Jose.  I mean, really.  Get with the program.  If I bring the sheet music, the next thing your going to expect is that it be in MY key!  Then how am I going to shoot you dirty looks and blame the piano player for my sounding bad????  Sheesh! :o   ;D  

Thank You.

NEXT!
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2004, 05:11:55 PM »

DR TD, that's the Meatloaf DVD I just got!  I'm so looking forward to watching it!  We'll have to compare notes.  

DR Danise - I knew I couldn't be the only Meat lover on this site, the most popular site on the internet!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2004, 05:12:24 PM »

The big quandary for me is usually:  Sour Cream?  or Apple Sauce?  or Both?

What quandary? Both is the only reasonable answer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2004, 05:13:57 PM »

Worst travel experince. 1975. From Washington DC to LA. A  Beechcraft Baron crashed into the cockpit. Sucked out the co-pilot, blinded the pilot and the flight engineer also died. The head stewardess flew the plane until they were able to get a pilot dropped into the cockpit. And Gloria Swanson was one of the passengers. Or maybe this was a dream?????

Michael...  You see these two nice gentlemen in the white jackets...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2004, 05:15:03 PM »

Anyone else watching Julie on "Great Performances" in Rodgers & Hammerstein's CINDERELLA? ? ? ?

Panni

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2004, 05:16:28 PM »

...with a special guest appearance by Miss Olga Rodriguez as Step Sister #1.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2004, 05:22:13 PM »

I loved Olga's Peter Pan.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2004, 05:22:44 PM »

Gee, DR TD, I have always loved Meatloaf.  Haven't I ever mentioned that he is one of my 3 Michaels?  It seems like every singer I like is one.  

Michael Aday (MeatLoaf)-- Mr. A.  (BTW I know his birth name was Melvin but he changed to Michael--at least last that I knew of.  It fair broke my heart when he cut his hair.)

Michael Ball-- Mr. B.
Michael Crawford-- Mr. C.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2004, 05:25:14 PM »

She bears an uncanny resemblence to Alice Ghostly!  How ghastly!

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2004, 05:26:38 PM »

Gee, DR TD, I have always loved Meatloaf.  Haven't I ever mentioned that he is one of my 3 Michaels?  It seems like every singer I like is one.  

Well, two out of three ain't bad. . .

after "Bat out of Hell," I really like Loaf's covers of two songs from ALW's WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND. . .

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2004, 05:30:24 PM »

DR Danise - I knew I couldn't be the only Meat lover on this site, the most popular site on the internet!
What more could you ask for - Meatloaf and the MSO.
Mr Loaf is very popular here in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2004, 05:31:26 PM »

I assume DR Nurse Jane avoids Meatloaf. I really don't think there is a substitute.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2004, 05:34:39 PM »

My copy of W in W arrived today td. Hope it's more enjoyable than the stage show. It made "The Beautiful Game" look like superb theatre. (At least I stayed through that one).
Also received a copy of Mama Mia - No! "Carmelina" which I had on vinyl only.  Buena Sera Mrs Campbell.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up