Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FULL REPORT  (Read 31659 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE FULL REPORT
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2004, 10:47:55 AM »

Need more data. Which of the following do you and your sister share"

A. Residence
B. Bed Room
C. Laundry Machine
D. Non-Gentleman callers

der Soloman-in-training Brucer

E. None of the above, which was my mom's point.  She thought that since we'd never see each other in them, that it didn't count as clothes. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2004, 10:52:04 AM »

Inspiration for a Torch Song:

CHICAGO (Dec. 7) -- A stubborn fire raged for 5 1/2 hours on the 29th floor of a historic downtown skyscraper,

der where-is-Nero-we-you-need-him Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2004, 10:53:48 AM »

E. None of the above, which was my mom's point.  She thought that since we'd never see each other in them, that it didn't count as clothes. :)

Then you should be flattered that your sister shares your taste!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2004, 10:56:07 AM »

Look what Google can find you:
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »

Exchanging yours for the color you wanted originally is a great solution, DRJENNIFER.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2004, 11:01:02 AM »

And I would like to tender my apologies to one and all for my Wusburgerness yesterday.  Indeed I meant to post earlier that I could not make it into the city for the Gala Event of the Season.  Many reasons, not to mention working today and Joe having a horrendous toothache--but then I did mention them.  Paradox!  Paradox!

I dearly wish I had been able to see and hear our very own BK reading, and of course it pains me greatly not to have been able to bow and scrape in front of the Sexiest Man Alive, although I trust that those who were in attendance bowed and scraped in my stead.

Lovely pictures, Der B.  Will we get some pictures of the dinner party, too?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 11:01:42 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2004, 11:06:23 AM »

Thanks for all of the pictures, Der Brucer!!

As for the official Topic of the Day:

Losing My Mind by Dorothy Collins
The Man that Got Away by Miss Judy Garland.
No Man Left For Me from The Will Rogers Follies
Peel Me a Grape by Blossom Dearie...is this considered a torch song?
Time Heals Everything by Bernadette Peters
What Did I Have That I Don't Have? especially sung by Pamela Myers
With Every Breath I Take sung by Kay McClelland from OBC recording of City of Angels
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2004, 11:20:41 AM »

In no particular order:

"Time Heals Everything" (Jerry Herman)
"With Every Breath I Take" (Zippel/Coleman)
"Loving You" (Sondheim)
"I Wish I Could Forget You" (Sondheim)
"Not a Day Goes By" (Sondheim)
"We Had a Good Thing Going" (Sondheim)
"Losing My Mind" (Sondheim)

And one doesn't normally think "torch song" when one thinks "Sondheim", does one?

"Meantime" sung by Carol Burnett, and sung by Sharon (no K) McNight.
"The Man That Got Away" -- the ultimate torch song
"As Long As He Needs Me" -- Georgia is still my favorite
"The Music That Makes Me Dance" - less well known just because it was dropped from the movie in favor of
"Mon Homme" - Piaf
"Ne Me Quitte Pas" - Brel
"The Way We Were"
"This Nearly Was Mine" - the lyric is a torch song, if the music doesn't fit that mode.
"I Know Him So Well" as sung by Karen Akers

There are so many.  I'm sure we're all forgetting some great ones.

In re DR Noel's comment:

Lehman Engel used to rail against self-pity in workshop--he detested "What Kind of Fool Am I".  My answer was--listen to any juke box in a bar, and you will realize:  self-pity sells.
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2004, 11:21:21 AM »

Oh....

Love Changes Everything - Michael Ball, though maybe not really a torch song.

Hmmmmm....yes derBrucer thanks so much for the photos!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2004, 11:24:02 AM »

MBARNUM - I never did get my original order of the SCARFACE dvd gift set, so I have filed a claim against the seller who NOW has 98% negative feedback.

I ordered it from another seller who when I emailed her two weeks later said she hadn't been on the computer for awhile but would send it out right away.  Ten days ago....emailed her again today to let her know it hasn't arrived - probably hasn't been shipped is my guess.

Another seller finally sent a CD after three weeks - the wrong CD.  I let them know, now 10 days after that they tell me to return the wrong CD and they will send me my new one.  I emailed back NOPE - send me my CD first.  LOL.....let's see what happens.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2004, 11:31:34 AM »

I think you should report them to Amazon.com! That is terrible!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2004, 11:41:07 AM »

The Genial Host, Dan Finton:

Responding to a query about: "Murder On The Stage" - (or, How Three-Named Composer/Lyricists Destroyed the Modern Muscial) by Noel Katz
Dan and (BK will have to supply the shop's proprietress' name in this blank, which my mind has gone: _____________) were wonderful hosts.  They are also both wonderfully knowledgeable about their subject: while chatting with them, she-whose-name-I-egregiously-didn't-write-down was asked by another customer about an author, and almost before he finished his question she was leading him to where he could find the books for his answer.  Since we already own a copy of Writer's Block, I decided that buying something would be a practical way of saying thank-you and selected a couple of volumes by Lindsey Davis; s-w-n-I-e-d-w-d picked up a reference volume, to make sure I'd found Davis' first two books, immediately catching the pattern in what I'd placed before her.  That's knowledgable!  And it's all dished up with a happy garnish of good humor and graciousness.

They also have a website!  (Don't smirk, it's amazing the shops that don't and should.)  I think we were lucky BK was able to find such wonderful hosts!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2004, 11:43:04 AM »

Done and done, DRMBARNUM.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2004, 11:51:02 AM »

Yes great pics of the party!

The funny thing is, DR Der Brucer that my sister and I do not really have the same taste.  Or at least that is what I gathered the week before when she hated every single item I showed her. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2004, 11:51:08 AM »

The newest Amazon reviews of WRITER'S BLOCK by DRJENNIFER and DRDiT are both fun reads!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2004, 11:54:52 AM »

And I would like to thank DR Elmore for his wonderful "Christmas Card"!  We listened to the CD on our trip home, and found it all wonderful.  

And isn't it strange that it's now up to the Gay Men's Choruses of the nation to keep the Chorus tradition alive and well and in beautiful harmony?  Their mothers should all be proud!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2004, 12:01:23 PM »

Our hostess's name is Elizabeth.

Back from Footlight.  Still raining.  Picked up a few items.  Why do I sound like Tonto all of a sudden?  The owner of the store, Ron, who is a bit of a pill, was very brusque because he was harried and busy and had to leave.  Since I hadn't been in his store for over two years, and since I've done the pill many many favors, I found his behavior incredibly rude.  On the way out he smiled and said, "Next time."  I smiled and said, "There won't be a next time."  I did have a nice time seeing their employee Arnold, who loves me dearly.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2004, 12:04:15 PM »

And a further thank-you to our esteemed BK himself, for both the reading and for hosting our dinner at Joe Allen after.  Some people were amazed that der B and I drove all the way in from Delaware for the event.  I would have been amazed if we hadn't shown up, given the friendship BK has shown us.

(That, and der B has figured out how to set the VCR on timer to record, so there really wasn't any excuse for us not to be there!   ;D)

(And yes, I really am that quiet in person, more of a listener than a talker.  Always have been, as der B will tell anyone who asks.  Somebody has to be the audience, after all, particularly at a talent-filled table as we had for dinner.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2004, 12:07:09 PM »

Our hostess's name is Elizabeth.
Thank-you!  I knew I should have written it down.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2004, 12:08:16 PM »

My DD just sent me a beautiful and very extravagant Hanukah present. She is very sweet!

I have some things to do. Back later.

PS - Jennifer - I see only one solution to your problem. You (or your sister) must start sleeping in the nude.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2004, 12:11:59 PM »

TOD: "Look Who's Alone Now."  Something unusual in the torch song cagegory, as it's written for the male voice.  First recorded by Barry Bostwick, on the OCR of Nick & Nora, music by Charles Strouse, lyrics by Richard Maltby, Jr.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2004, 12:12:48 PM »

Re:Footlight.....isn't it strange how people act?  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »

Ann, nice new avatar-very sultry.  

Thanks Jane :)  DR Jed told me I was giving all of HHW a "come hither" look...

and of course
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The HAPPIEST of Happy Birthdays to you, dear Jane! [/move] [/font] [/size][/color]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 12:25:25 PM by Ann »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2004, 12:26:28 PM »

A further note on the gathering last night: chatting with Sexiest Man in the World Brent Barrett, he admitted to me that his current travelling schedule doesn't allow him to have a dog.  Sad, but absolutely correct, as it would be wrong for them both to be separated so frequently.  A dog (or any pet) is supposed to be a companion, not a fashion accessory.

At the same time, dammit, Brent needs a dog!  He is so obviously a dog person, and would shower the canine with affection and get same in return.

We need to set up a committee, to find out what his schedule is and make sure there is a dog everywhere he goes, to give him puppy love even if it's on a loaner basis.

Unless it turns out he has allergies that he didn't mention, and wouldn't because, after all, being sexy includes never being rude.

This requires more research.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2004, 12:32:18 PM »

Further from yesterday, our exteemed BK told us that we have a trio of birthdays this week.  Jane, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

What I find surprising is that it will also be BK's and Penny O's birthdays very soon, and that BK is a year older than they.  For one thing, BK looks younger than me, but having spent time with Penny O and from what I can tell from Jane's photos, they look much younger than a single year compared with BK.

(Don't take this as a harsh comment, BK, as women are supposed to look younger than the men around them.  Which these two women indeed do!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2004, 12:37:58 PM »

And indeed MBARNUM's natal day is Friday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2004, 12:41:46 PM »

That IS a lovely new photograph of dear reader Ann.

I think PennyO, Jane and I have aged remarkably well, like fine cheddar cheese surrounded by ham chunks.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2004, 12:42:03 PM »

(Don't take this as a harsh comment, BK, as women are supposed to look younger than the men around them.  Which these two women indeed do!)

Nah!  It's a well-known fact that a man is more attractive the older that he grows.  He's like a late October rose.  He's noticed everywhere he goes.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2004, 12:49:59 PM »

Thanks for the Grammy nominations for show album. I'll be predicting WICKED as the eventual winner.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2004, 12:50:42 PM »

Maybe someone could volunteer to travel with BB and act as a surrogate dog.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up