Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 42920 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2004, 10:40:35 AM »

...And now, Ladies and Gentlemen...

PAGE 3
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2004, 10:45:08 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes back, but I'm not really "back" - there's precious little internet time and I've missed all the posts, sadly.  Official return will be in January.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2004, 11:18:40 AM »

Hmmm, did anybody else see Emmy and Patrick singing from the new Phantom of the Opera movie today on GMA?

Btw, how wide is today's release?  I know it is announced as "select cities", but it opened here today in wide release.

Kerry

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2004, 11:22:28 AM »

I would like to know what everybody's favorite lines are from movies.  Start with you Bruce.  Since there are so many great lines, let's say 5 of your favorites.  I'm sure there will be some doozies.  This includes the movie versions of plays, too.
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2004, 11:35:22 AM »

I have to admit the campy side of me loves some of the lines from The Boys in the Band, zingers like:

"Who do you have to f**k to get a drink around here?"

"Michael doesn't have charm, Michael has countercharm."

and

"Believe it or not, there was a time in life when I didn't go around announcing I was a f****t. "Well, That must have been before speech replaced sign language."

All About Eve has wonderful quotable lines also but I will let others take on that classic
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 11:35:57 AM by Ben »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2004, 11:39:24 AM »

And on that note (F-sharp)

Or, to confuse Danise, G-flat! :-*
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2004, 11:41:58 AM »

Several of my friends who live in Southern Indiana (not far from Cincinatti) are going to end up with about 2 feet!!

Southern IN, today:

der Brucer (notice the dog supervising)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2004, 11:43:33 AM »

I would like to know what everybody's favorite lines are from movies.  Start with you Bruce.  Since there are so many great lines, let's say 5 of your favorites.  I'm sure there will be some doozies.  This includes the movie versions of plays, too.

DR Kerry:  What a wonderful question.  (I also like your new avatar.)

In no order of appearance:

1)  "A sponge fits in anywhere."  (FUNNY GIRL)

2)  "They drummed you right out of Hollywood, so you come crawling back to Broadway.  Well, Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope. ....(same scene; same character)...Now, get outta my way.  I got a MAN waiting for me."  (VALLEY OF THE DOLLS)

3) "You're too short for that gesture." (variously, "the minutes will fly like hours;" "I take it from the smartness of your dress that your luncheon companion is a lady?;" "That was a stupid lie....unworthy of you.)  (All Addison, all ALL ABOUT EVE)

4)  "You fix up" (THE KING AND I)

5)  "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din." (GUNGA DIN)

I am sure there are others that are even more favorite than these, but these are the first five that came to mind, and ones I use often in everyday conversation.  OK, not everyday conversation, but I use them conversationally.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2004, 11:50:55 AM »

...And I've also had a fun time reading the reviews of "Phantom of the Opera"...

The LA Times guidelines: Operatic violence, visible garters, not suitable for children who bore easily

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2004, 11:53:39 AM »

HOLIDAY JOY

"What could be more elegant than a warm blin topped with a dollop of caviar and crème fraîche?"

(Gary Friedman / LAT)

der Brucer (must get SWW some buckwheat flour!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2004, 11:56:37 AM »

HOLIDAY CONCERTS:

"Students in San Pedro sing "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town," Ray Charles-style."
(Bob Chamberlin / LAT)

This was an effort to be PC and ditch "White Christmas"?

der Brucer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2004, 11:57:07 AM »

I just got in from breakfast with my pal/mentor, Mark.  He surprised me with 3 pieces of sheet music from "The Woman In White", it's turning out to be an exciting day.  "Phantom" in 6.5 hours!!!  I'm not excited or anything......

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2004, 12:01:49 PM »

"Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown."

"The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison but the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true - wait - the flagon with the dragon has the pellet with the poison but the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2004, 12:04:10 PM »

Now, suddenly, it has come to me.  I believe I have figured out the riddle of Cora.  I said it boiled down to one or two people because of the names mentioned in the "review".  A third possibility just presented itself to me and it makes perfectly perfect sense and I'm now 98% certain, and if I'm right, it makes total and perfect sense.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2004, 12:11:39 PM »

I just got in from breakfast with my pal/mentor, Mark.  He surprised me with 3 pieces of sheet music from "The Woman In White", it's turning out to be an exciting day.  "Phantom" in 6.5 hours!!!  I'm not excited or anything......
You could have played some of the music from "Tell Me On A Sunday" Matthew (Letters Home in the original version)
ALW recycled.
Horses for courses. I remember reading you enjoy the score.  Worst piece of theatre I have seen and heard on a professional stage.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2004, 12:13:50 PM »

Quote from: bk
So, I do appreciate everyone's posts about this "person", but really, there's no need to give this one more thought.  People who do this sort of thing get what they deserve, in the long run.

Physician, heal thyself.  

In other, kinder, words, Dear BK, whatever that woman wrote, pay it no heed.  I know it must be irksome, but just forge on.  After all, sticks and stones....  ;)

Matthew

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2004, 12:14:48 PM »

Tomovoz, you have see "The Woman in White"?  Did you post a reivew here on HHW?  If you want to talk about recycled music, there are bits from "Jeeves" and "Whistle Down the Wind", all of which work better in "The Woman in White".  But for you, I will take out the original "Tell Me on a Sunday" music and play through that also.

Matthew

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2004, 12:21:53 PM »

I think I forgot to mention that I have a connection to the story "The Woman in White" - in 1990, I was playing piano for a local melodrama troupe and one of the melodrama's we did was "Egad!  The Woman in White", it was one I enjoyed most.  The plots in the melodrama and the ALW show are the same.  I'm looking forward to perhaps musicalizing the melodrama this summer in a theatre workshop for kids.  I guess you can say I like the material.  I'm growing quite fond of the score, also.  

6.0 hours 'till "Phantom!"

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2004, 12:43:23 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BEST OF HEALING VIBES TO DD (DEAR DOG) ECHO!!![/move]

I got some good news today.  My doctor called and todl me that my blood test came back normal.  This, as she was quick to remind me, doesn't mean I'm in the clear...but it's a good sign. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2004, 12:44:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from running some errands...

From "Parents Can Be So ____ Some Times" file:

My Mom asked me to go to CVS to pick up a new prescription for my father that his doctor called in for him.  So, I get to the counter, the kind clerk goes back and gets the prescription...

"May I see your ID?
-Well, it's for my father, and I live down in Richmond.
"Oh, OK.  Well, let me check it anyway so I can sign the release form properly."
"What's your father's date of birthdate and current address?
-I gave her my Dad's birth day, but I couldn't remember the year.
"That's close enough.  And the address?"
-I gave her the address
"Hmm... That doesn't match the one we have on file.  Oh, I see they misspelled the street name.  That shouldn't be a problem."
-Oh, here's his insurance card.
"Hmmm... The address on file with the insurance doesn't match the one on file here."
-It was the address for the house we had 10 years ago!

...Well, after some more reassurances, and noticing that we had had other prescriptions filled there in the past few days, she let me pay for the meds - and they only cost $1.83! - and head on my merry way.

Once I got home, I told my Mom about the address mix up and that she better call the insurance company and the doctor to make sure everything is correct since, technically, the pharmacist could have refused to give the meds to me since the information was not a total match.  Well...

"Oh, yeah.. It's been like that for years.  I think the insurance company still sends some of the bills to the old address?!?!?!?"

WHAT?!?!?!?!

And they get on my case whenever I don't tell them where I'm currently working?!?!?!?

-Unless, of course, this has been the plan all along... Maybe that's how my parents "paid" for my Dad's surgery.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2004, 12:46:06 PM »

I got some good news today.  My doctor called and todl me that my blood test came back normal.  This, as she was quick to remind me, doesn't mean I'm in the clear...but it's a good sign. :)

:D

-What a wonderful early Christmas Gift!  Here's to many more!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »

And in other news...

Currently down in the living room:

1 set of parents
2 sets of couples, friends of the parents/family
1 karaoke machine

You do the math.
 :-X

...I think I'm gonna go soak in the tub for a while...

Laters...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 12:49:33 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2004, 12:51:28 PM »

I am very glad to hear that news, DR Ann.  At least you should be able to breathe slightly easier through the holidays.  And we will continue to keep our fingers crossed, and send health vibes your way.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2004, 12:55:20 PM »

The first part of lots of good news Ann. Keep smiling.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2004, 01:02:15 PM »

Favourite movie lines:

"I used to swallow things as a child.  My mother never left me alone in the room with an armchair,"  said by Rex O' Malley in MIDNIGHT.

"I trusted the law.  The law was just a tired, old man," said by Joel McCrea in the noir western, RAMROD.

"You don't like anything about me, do you?"

"You're all right.  You're like a horse or a dog or a man or any other woman.  Once I understand you,  you're all right."...an exchange between Veronica Lake and Don DeFore, also from RAMROD.

"We use 'em for women."  said by a nameless cadet in THE MAJOR & THE MINOR, said about the girls from the neighbouring school from the military academy.

"All right!  You're all under arrest!" Gary Grant brazening out singlehandedly with the entire Tuggee cult in GUNGA DIN.

"I want to enter my house justified," said by Joel McCrea in RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY.

"God is kind, Torpenhow.  He's dead, "  Walter Huston to Dudley Digges about Ronald Colman in THE LIGHT THAT FAILED.

"What do you want me to do?  Draw ya a picture!  Don't ask me! Long as you live, don't ask me!"  John Wayne to Harry Carey, speaking of Carey's lost love, who has been raped and killed by Indians in THE SEARCHERS.

"You bastard!"

"For me, an accident at birth.  But you, sir, are a self-made man."
...exhange between Ralph Bellamy and Lee Marvin in THE PROFESSIONALS.

"Aaaah!  I've been kissed by a tunnel!"  Lynne Overman, after being kissed by Martha Raye in BIG BROADCAST OF 1936.

"You speak treason!"

"Fluently."....exchange between Olivia De Haviland and Errol Flynn in CAPTAIN BLOOD.

"You've come to Nottingham once too often."

"When this is through, I won't have to come again."...snarled between crossed blades between Basil Rathbone and Errol Flynn in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas.  How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know,"  Groucho Marx in ANIMAL CRACKERS.

"Yes, my son.  I know you are there." said by Donald Crisp to Roddy McDowell in HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY.

"Homeric." said by Barry Fitzgerald as he gazes at the broken bed of John Wayne & Maureen O' Hara after the wedding night.

"Sanctuary!  Sanctuary!"  Charles Laughton as the Hunchback after he's rescued Esmeralda in THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:22:17 PM by Charles Pogue »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2004, 01:08:29 PM »

Hello, all!  I'm back from PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, which I liked much more than I expected.  On the negative side:
  1.  I loathe both the lyric and the disco beat to the title song and I wish it had been cut entirely.
  2.  I've never liked the silly half mask, and I wish we'd go back to something along the lines of Lon Chaney's makeup which comes closest to Mr Leroux's description.  Mr Butler looiks like his acne's having a really bad day.
  3.  The opening is 49 years after the events of 1870, and Mme Giry looks awfully hale for a woman her age.  If Raoul is around 71 or so, Mme Giry is about 90!
  4.  Miranda Richardson speaks with a French accent, which seems strange since all the other French folk are speaking the King's English, except for our romantic leads who speak American English.
  5.  Every time Emmy Rossum goes outside, she's showing lots of cleavage, little clothing, and it's snowing!

Beyond that, I thought the film was much better than the stage version, with beautiful designs, a great chandelier, and Minnie Driver, who is the best thing in the movie.  I also liked Simon Callow and Ciaran Hinds quite a lot, and Gerard Butler didn't bother me at all since I've always been immune to the vocal and physical charms of Michael Crawford and could never understand all the fuss.  I've never been a big fan of the director, but here his baroque approach and the limits imposed on him by the material work quite well together.

DRJose, in "The Glamorous Life" from SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES, I scored the verse using the cues in the vocal score for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.  For the new film section of the song,  because I think Jonathan's scoring is quite wonderful, I deliberately avoided listening to the soundtrack until after I finished the recording.  Jonathan's more faithful to the Sondheim piano score than I was, and I added a lot more "busy" writing.  Because of the limitations in one of the wind players, I relied more on the brass.  Jonathan's a clarinetist, and he writes well for reeds.  I didn't have the option.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2004, 01:13:05 PM »

...OH, and the other day, it took the trumpet player just under two hours to get to theatre, and she was only coming in from 20 miles out... AND she was going inbound... "against" the rush hour!  -Thankfully, she had planned to come in early for dinner - which she ended up missing - or we would have been sans trumpet for the top of the show.
I know the feeling!  The DC traffic almost had me snarling.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »

Vibes for Echo and MacGregor.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2004, 01:16:34 PM »

I think I forgot to mention that I have a connection to the story "The Woman in White" - in 1990, I was playing piano for a local melodrama troupe and one of the melodrama's we did was "Egad!  The Woman in White", it was one I enjoyed most.  The plots in the melodrama and the ALW show are the same.  I'm looking forward to perhaps musicalizing the melodrama this summer in a theatre workshop for kids.  I guess you can say I like the material.  I'm growing quite fond of the score, also.  

DRMatthew, PBS Masterpiece Theatre did a beautiful adaptation of Willkie Collins' "The Woman in White" around 5 years ago.  I believe it's on DVD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2004, 01:21:20 PM »

Thanks, elmore, I'll add that too my amazon.com wish list!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up