Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 41846 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2004, 06:37:49 AM »

If I have my time zones correct, Jay's up early and Hisaka's up late. Have a good day/night everyone.

One can run but, clearly, one cannot hide here at HainesHisWay.com.  

Good morning/afternoon/evening, all you Dear, Dear Readers out there in the dark!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2004, 06:38:17 AM »

Here I am on Wednesday morning with no questions. I do have an answer for Jane from last night.

MacGregor is 8 years old (almost 9, he was born in Februrary). Yes, they are up to dealing with the day-to-day care required for him. Since Anthony has moved out, Mr. MacGregor has become the only child in the house. Without him, Rose and Philip would have no one to spoil and I would have no one to run around in the back yard with when we go out to LI.

Now, I must get ready for a trip on the Long Island Railroad. Later, gaters.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2004, 07:51:02 AM »

Ben, best of vibes to MacGregor and Anthony's parents.

Echo has had a huge set back so I don't know if I will be posting much today.

Welcome back Joey.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2004, 08:08:34 AM »

DR Jane, I am sorry to hear about Echo...I am sending you many, many positive vibes!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) [/move]

I hope they help!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2004, 08:21:21 AM »

Whew!  There seemed to be an awful lot to catch up on since I signed off yesterday afternoon!

DR Kerry, I would have gladly helped frost your holiday cutouts, but unfortunately, we were in the midst of rolling, shaping, baking, and then confectioner's sugar-ing our own batch of almond crescents.  We love the fershluggeneh cookies (the DP's dad does, especially), but they are one hell of a bitch to make.

Speaking of bitches, when I hear the name "Cora" I also think of Margaret Hamilton.  Any other evidence needed for a relationship  between the name and Wicked Witches?

I think MacGregor is a fabulous name for a dog.  I do send doggie health vibes down to the Island of Long.

Question for the bakers out there:  I was planning on making a Linzer Torte for dessert at my in-law's on Christmas Day.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the recipe I had (given to me by my friend Grace Moore, and boy, was she glad to get rid of it.  I think I'll give it to her back.  Or her front. --- sorry, a FUNNY LADY reference interlude, but the recipe was actually given to me by an opera singer, Emily Golden.)  At any rate, I have come across several.  Some call for Baking Powder, some don't.  Opinions?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 08:21:59 AM »

And Echo vibes as well, DR Jane....Didn't see your post before I started typing mine.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 08:26:21 AM »

The linzer torte, btw (by the way, in internet lingo) will be in addition to a cookie platter, featuring Chocolate Chip (w/ and w/out nuts), Peanut Butter, Snickerdoodles (another favorite of my father-in-law's), Sugar Cut-outs, the aforementioned Almond Crescents, Lace Florentines (some filled with dark chocolate, some with white chocolate), and Brownies.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2004, 08:33:56 AM »

I wondered the same thing about the Julie Andrews CINDERELLA. I abhored colorizing classic movies like YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and was firmly against it. This kinescope, however, might have benefited from colorization which would have toned down that contrast and made it more pastel-like soft. They could always have the black and white version on there, too, since the show isn't very long.

Also, I think colorization is more improved as a process now than it was when Ted Turner was ruining every film he could get his hands on. Ever see 42nd STREET in color? Ghastly. So was MIRACLE ON 34th STREET and SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2004, 08:37:16 AM »

Wasn't Cora also the Mayor(ess) in Anyone Can Whistle, or am I confused again?   ::)

I have some ASK BK questions about various projects:

Now heaven knows (Mr. Allison) I have been E&T for long stretches, so you may have mentioned these at various times, but I'm curious about the status of:

1.  The FNM stage adaptation.
2.  The Meltz & Ernest film.
3.  The potential new label.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2004, 08:37:39 AM »

Thanks DRELMORE - interesting.  

Vibes for ECHO!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2004, 08:41:49 AM »

Wasn't Cora also the Mayor(ess) in Anyone Can Whistle, or am I confused again?   ::)

Yes.  Score another for Wicked Witches.  (Or at least misunderstood Mayoresses.)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2004, 08:50:18 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD ECHO VIBES, DR JANE!!![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2004, 08:51:58 AM »

Is traffic as bad this holiday season where other DRs live as it is here? Honestly, I don't want to leave the house and get into that snarl of cars, minivans, and SUVs.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2004, 08:58:20 AM »

I would like to go on someone's list to view the WHAT IF dvd.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2004, 09:01:22 AM »

DR Panni, sorry to hear about your DD's insurance mix-up.

And DR Jane, please let us know how Echo is.  I emailed you privately.  But BIG VIBES for you both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2004, 09:03:47 AM »

Is traffic as bad this holiday season where other DRs live as it is here? Honestly, I don't want to leave the house and get into that snarl of cars, minivans, and SUVs.

YES!

Over the past few days, the traffic reporters on the radio have started commenting on the "extended" rush hour here in the DC Metro area.  People are leaving home early to get to special sales.  People are taking longer lunch hours to get to their shopping done.  People are taking their lunch hour past the lunch hour in order to get to the shopping centers.  People are leaving work early in order to get to the shopping centers.  Etc., etc., etc., etc...

So, basically, there's lighter traffic between 10:10 and 10:22 in the morning, and between 1:48 and 1:59 in the afternoon.  ;)

And since everyone has been shuffling their work and shopping schedules, the lightest part of the afternoon rush hour has been 5:00-6:00 - which is normally the busiest time.

...And then there are still all those reports that the stores are having a relatively slow season, profits-wise... Hmmm...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:05:01 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2004, 09:05:52 AM »

I don't know about traffic, but the malls are full.  I had to go to the bank at 9:30am today, and the mall parking lot was already packed.  The regular stores only open at 10am (the big department stores opened at 8am).

But the craziest lines have been outside the SAQ (sells liquor).  They are on strike, so most of their stores are closed. But the one at the mall is open.  There was a line-up of i'd say 100+ people waiting to get in.

Now I'm not really an alcohol expert, but I know you can buy wine at the grocery store.  I guess the SAQ is the only place to buy hard liquor, hence the line-ups.  Crazy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2004, 09:07:23 AM »

...OH, and the other day, it took the trumpet player just under two hours to get to theatre, and she was only coming in from 20 miles out... AND she was going inbound... "against" the rush hour!  -Thankfully, she had planned to come in early for dinner - which she ended up missing - or we would have been sans trumpet for the top of the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2004, 09:14:04 AM »

...OH, and the other day, it took the trumpet player just under two hours to get to theatre, and she was only coming in from 20 miles out... AND she was going inbound... "against" the rush hour!  -Thankfully, she had planned to come in early for dinner - which she ended up missing - or we would have been sans trumpet for the top of the show.

When I did TITANIC, one of our keyboard players NEVER made it to the theater. Had the car break down on the interstate and had no cell phone to alert the musical director. Talk about second night letdown!

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »

Expect a George Eads picture later in the day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2004, 09:16:20 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

-Well, it's still morning for some of you out there...

:D

I had a sort of reprieve this morning from my Dad-watching duties since my Mom ended up staying home from work today.  -It's her tradeoff day since she'll be working Christmas Day at the nursing home.  So, I got to sleep in a bit, which I needed to do since the karaoke didn't stop until right before 3:00AM...

And, lo and behold, my Dad was also up bright and early - I could hear CNN in the background this morning.  Then he took a news-break and watched "The Price Is Right".  -My Dad could never be a contestant on there since he's so used to the prices at the Commissary and Base Exchanges which normally have cheaper prices than standard retail outlets - he always bids too low. ;)

Once I got out of bed, I fed the dogs - my brothers two mini-daschunds, Jax (short for Jumping Jack Flash) and Jelly-Bean (or Beanie for short).  Then I fed myself, oatmeal and blueberries.  -And I think the oatmeal may be on the verge of going stale, just something slightly of tasting.  And now...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2004, 09:29:14 AM »

My question for BK for today.

If you were asked to chose up to five titles from each of the genres of your recordings (Cast Recordings, Jazz, Vocals, Broadway Related, Film Related, Spoken Word) to place in an time capsule that would openned 100 years from now, which ones would you choose? They do not necessarily have to be your favorite or the best recordings you have produced, but ones that would be significant examples of the respective genres to listeners 100 years from now.

It's all so subjective, and these sorts of answers change with the wind, but I guess I'll take a stab:

Cast recordings: The King and I (revival - stuff that's not on any other cast recording), Play On! (excellent cast, and oh that music), No Way to Treat a Lady (I like it), Drat! The Cat! (technically a studio cast album, but one that I love), Night of the Hunter (ditto).  

Jazz: Passion in Jazz (with Terry Trotter), Jazz Goes to Hollywood (the first volume with Fred Karlin), It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing (with Buddy Bregman), Follies in Jazz (with Trotter), Star Wars in Jazz (again with Trotter - and just such a weird album).

Vocals: Liz Callaway: On Broadway and Off, Michelle Nicastro: Toonful, Rebecca Luker: Anything Goes, Brent Barrett: The Kander and Ebb Album, Christiane Noll: A Broadway Love Story

Broadway related: Lost in Boston I, Unsung Musicals 1, Prime Time Musicals, Unsung Irving Berlin, The Burt Bacharach Album

Film related: Sax and Violence, Titanic, Sherlock Holmes, Monster Mania (the Godzilla album), Cinema Romance (with Grant Geissman).

Spoken word: There are only two, and I choose Copenhagen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2004, 09:29:55 AM »

For Ask BK Day - and most likely Ask DR elmore...

During the past few days while I've been catching up on my CD listening, I began to wonder about...

Are there any legalities or courtesies involved when a performer/producer/arranger/orchestrator performs/arranges/orchestrates a song in a manner that is similar to the original?

-Is that enough hyphens for you?

Did that make any sort of sense?

What brought this to mind is the version of "The Glamorous Life" on Sondheim At The Movies, although other songs and performances I've listened to over the years have also brought this question to mind.  The orchestration done by our own DR elmore is very well done, and sounds - at least to my ears - like a reworking and reduction of the original movie version's orchestration.

Am I making sense?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2004, 09:33:21 AM »

I have some ASK BK questions about various projects:

Now heaven knows (Mr. Allison) I have been E&T for long stretches, so you may have mentioned these at various times, but I'm curious about the status of:

1.  The FNM stage adaptation.
2.  The Meltz & Ernest film.
3.  The potential new label.

The first two were victims of multiple producer flaking.  I got bored.  Nudie I will pursue again with the new year.  Meltz and Ernest, not sure, even though I still have one investor who'll do it.  The potential new label is in existence - I sit, waiting for the right time and when I feel like going down that road again.  I have certain projects ready, and others have come to me with albums they'd like me to put out - so, again, perhaps in the new year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2004, 09:36:21 AM »

For Ask BK Day - and most likely Ask DR elmore...

During the past few days while I've been catching up on my CD listening, I began to wonder about...

Are there any legalities or courtesies involved when a performer/producer/arranger/orchestrator performs/arranges/orchestrates a song in a manner that is similar to the original?

-Is that enough hyphens for you?

Did that make any sort of sense?

What brought this to mind is the version of "The Glamorous Life" on Sondheim At The Movies, although other songs and performances I've listened to over the years have also brought this question to mind.  The orchestration done by our own DR elmore is very well done, and sounds - at least to my ears - like a reworking and reduction of the original movie version's orchestration.

Am I making sense?

If you use the exact orchestration, and it's been recorded before, no, no new use payments are necessary.  Permission may be necessary in terms of a non-show chart, but anyone can perform any recorded orchestration from a Broadway show.  In terms of elmore's Glamorous Life, it is based on Mr. Sondheim's piano part and is, in fact, a bit different than Mr. Tunick's film version.  But they're bound to be similar because of the piano part from which both of them went their separate ways.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2004, 09:37:11 AM »

Dear reader Laura just called and asked if I'd run and meet them for pancakes, so I guess I'm going to drag my weary butt cheeks out of here shortly.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2004, 10:25:55 AM »

If you use the exact orchestration, and it's been recorded before, no, no new use payments are necessary.  Permission may be necessary in terms of a non-show chart, but anyone can perform any recorded orchestration from a Broadway show.  In terms of elmore's Glamorous Life, it is based on Mr. Sondheim's piano part and is, in fact, a bit different than Mr. Tunick's film version.  But they're bound to be similar because of the piano part from which both of them went their separate ways.

Gotcha.  That's what I thought.

-And, yes, Mr. Sondheim's piano part is very distinctive.

Thank you.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2004, 10:33:19 AM »

Note to the gourmets and gourmands and foodies out there...

The Washington Post's Food Section has a nice article which compares three recently published cookbooks dealing with Bistro fare.  From the "no fuss, no muss" approach of Ina Garten, to the classic method of Anthony Bourdain, and the very traditional and almost haute approach of Thomas Keller.  Plus, they reprint all three versions of Boeuf Bourguignon by the three authors/cooks for comparison.  Quite an interesting read.  -And I think I know what I may end up cooking for Christmas Eve dinner now.  ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com

-Just click through to today's Food section.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 10:34:44 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2004, 10:34:32 AM »

Twenty-four years ago, when I was living in New Jersey, I worked for a NY / NJ chain called Home Liquors.  The entire period from Thanksgiving thru New Year's we had to hire off-duty police officers to direct traffic in and out of our parking lot.  On Christmas Eve, no one was allowed the day off, as it was our busiest day of the year.  We all worked from opening to closing, lunch was delivery pizza (cold by the time we got to eat it), and we never stopped working and restocking the shelves.  I can’t remember now (too long ago) the sales total for our store, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000.00 for that one day.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2004, 10:38:39 AM »

...And I've also had a fun time reading the reviews of "Phantom of the Opera"... However, some of the more interesting comments have been in the ones for "Meet the Fockers"...

Barbara Streisand as a sex therapist for the elderly...  This I may just have to see!

::)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up