Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 43595 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2004, 01:21:43 PM »

DRAnn, good news!  I hope it continues.

Re PHANTOM OF THE OPERA film, David Cullen's orchestrations are absolutely wonderful, lush, romantic, and magnificent.

Fave movie line:
Bette Davis to Olivia de Haviland in HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE:
"What do ya think Ah invahted you heah foa? COMPANY?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2004, 01:22:18 PM »

Oh, 5.0 hours till "Phantom".... DR elmore, I liked your review.  It always bugged me in the actual musical that the accents were British.  Same with Les Miserables!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2004, 01:23:03 PM »

Thanks, elmore, I'll add that too my amazon.com wish list!!

Don't you do Netflix?[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

PAGE FOUR DANCE!!!
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2004, 01:23:06 PM »

Well - I almost missed on the most wonderful breakfast get-together! This morning I checked my e-mail rather late - something I rarely do -  only to discover an invitation to myself and DD from DR Jay to join him, bk and visiting DRs Sandra and Laura for breakfast at DuPar's. Luckily, HHW disaster was averted and DD Rachel and I walked over to DuPar's where we had the pleasure of meeting for the first time DR's Laura and Sandra. Not only that - but DR Sandra gifted us with the most delicious home-made Christmas candies! Yum!
Photographic evidence of the historic meeting below. Left to right: Panni, DD Rachel, DR's Laura, Sandra and Jay, and Santa Claus. (to be continued...)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2004, 01:24:14 PM »

Once I got out of bed, I fed the dogs - my brothers two mini-daschunds, Jax (short for Jumping Jack Flash) and Jelly-Bean (or Beanie for short).
Isn't giving miniature daschunds shortened names going just a little too far?   ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2004, 01:27:59 PM »

According to amazon.com, it's only available on VHS.  I just checked Netflicks (which incidently, the offices of Netflicks are one mile from my home environments!) and they don't have anything like that.  Thanks a bunch, though!!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2004, 01:37:10 PM »

Photographic evidence (before I eat them all) of DR Sandra's yummilicious home-made Christmas candy....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2004, 01:40:09 PM »

Oh, 5.0 hours till "Phantom".... DR elmore, I liked your review.  It always bugged me in the actual musical that the accents were British.  Same with Les Miserables!!

I've always believed accents are a problem:  in GIGI, where everyone should be speaking French, it's my belief that the accents should be uniform since we as audience are supposedly hearing French as well.  So, we should be hearing good English, but Leslie Caron, Louis Jourdan, and Maurice Chevalier speak with French accents and Eva Gabor with a Hungarian one.  Only Granmere and Tante Alicia have English as a first language.

I find Miranda Richardson's French accent problematic because she's supposed to be as French as Messrs Callow and Hinds; Minnie Driver's Carlotta is Italian so I didn't mind the accent, and she's fantastic.

John Mortimer once wrote a great essay about dealing with foreign accents in his translations of the Feydeau farces.

As far as LES MIZ, another show whose cult and long run I find incomprehensible, I think it should be performed in anything but English.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2004, 01:41:52 PM »

According to amazon.com, it's only available on VHS.  I just checked Netflicks (which incidently, the offices of Netflicks are one mile from my home environments!) and they don't have anything like that.  Thanks a bunch, though!!!

The mere thought that I might not be infallible drives me mad!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2004, 01:42:59 PM »

Note to the gourmets and gourmands and foodies out there...

The Washington Post's Food Section has a nice article which compares three recently published cookbooks dealing with Bistro fare.  From the "no fuss, no muss" approach of Ina Garten, to the classic method of Anthony Bourdain, and the very traditional and almost haute approach of Thomas Keller.  Plus, they reprint all three versions of Boeuf Bourguignon by the three authors/cooks for comparison.  Quite an interesting read.  -And I think I know what I may end up cooking for Christmas Eve dinner now.  ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com

-Just click through to today's Food section.
I've made Bourdain's BB, and der B and I both enjoyed the results.  I have to admit that I didn't have any demiglace on hand, which would have been heavenly, so I added a can of beef broth to the braising liquid instead.  Quite yummers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2004, 01:46:38 PM »

I have a question (or two) for BK:

What is your opinion of Dame Edna Everage?  Did she shower you with gladioli when you worked with her?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2004, 01:52:58 PM »

I've made Bourdain's BB, and der B and I both enjoyed the results.  I have to admit that I didn't have any demiglace on hand, which would have been heavenly, so I added a can of beef broth to the braising liquid instead.  Quite yummers.

You mean you don't keep cubes of demiglace in your freezer?!?!?

;)

-Actually, I don't either.  Well, I used to, but that was only after my one and only adventure of making demiglace - boy, was it hard to find a proper butcher in Richmond that would sell me bones and scraps!  It was rather good, but the time involved was a bit much for my crazy and unpredictable schedule.  And it froze rather well too.

-I also like those ready-made concentrates available in the grocery store right now.  Very good.  *And I found a wine shop that carries a particular line, and at a very good price too since the line of stocks and demiglaces are distributed by a wine distributor.

*And I'm most likely going to use the Bourdain recipe too.  Ina Garten's recipe may be shorter and easier, but the ingredient list is longer.  And as for Thomas Keller... Hmm... I do like well-cooked, well-prepared food, but preparing your vegetables using cheesecloth to keep them separated while cooking seems a bit much.  -At least for boeuf bourguignon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »

This is my fault for not noticing more closely, but just wanted DR elmore to know (I've said it here before) that "The Glamorous Life" and "What Could You Lose" on SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES are my two favorite tracks on that CD. Both versions on that CD are superlative to their performances in their respective films.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2004, 01:55:22 PM »

Well, demiglace is better than an empty one.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2004, 01:56:25 PM »

DR Panni - Thanks for the pic!  What a wonderful gathering!  And what a wonderful box of homemade goodies too!

Was Guy Haines doing double-duty back in the kitchen again at Du-Pars?  Did he take the picture for you guys?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2004, 01:57:28 PM »

Here's the George Eads pic I mentioned earlier today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2004, 01:59:41 PM »

Yes derBrucer has posted an accurate picture of Indiana today, with several more inches of snow forecast for this evening.  Plus some strong winds!

Great movie lines so far, so I will add a few:

Lauren Bacall to a scheming Arlene Dahl in WOMAN'S WORLD:  "Have a cookie, cookie?"

In TITANIC (1953):
Barbara Stanwyck  All right, Richard.  One question first?
Clifton Webb: If it's about Norman, you know the answer.  No court in the world, no power under heaven can force me to give up my son.
Barbara Stanwyck: (pause) He is not your son.

In LEAVE HER HEAVEN -
Gene Tierney in the rowboat to Darryl Hickman, a young man with polio struggling in the water:  "Try harder, Danny, you don't want to give up when you've come so far."

Carroll Baker in THE CARPETBAGGERS joining George Peppard after a movie premiere:
"Rina Marlowe reporting for duty, as ordered.  The Jonas Cord Collection Agency.  We never sleep....alone."

And the line that DR CP quoted from THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR is still one of my very favorites....when the cadet is asked about the girls in town...LOL...
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2004, 02:00:18 PM »

Finally have THE SNAKE PIT in the player, but didn't have any time today to watch it, and I'll be leaving for the dinner party in a few minutes (have to make a stop along the way, and it's rush hour - ugh!).

And if I get any cherished DVDs tonight during the gift exchange, THE SNAKE PIT may have to come out of the player and wait its turn. We'll see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2004, 02:00:32 PM »

Great breakfast picture!

Wonderful news, DR ANN!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2004, 02:00:42 PM »

This is my fault for not noticing more closely, but just wanted DR elmore to know (I've said it here before) that "The Glamorous Life" and "What Could You Lose" on SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES are my two favorite tracks on that CD. Both versions on that CD are superlative to their performances in their respective films.

DRMattH, that's sweet!  Thank you so much.  I think a great deal of the "What Can You Lose?" goes to guitarist Kevin Kuhn and the stunning way with a song that Mr Guy Haines possesses.  I love his pitch, his vocal quality and his way with a lyric, all reasons why "Haines His Way" cheered me up so much during my ill health.  I feel my job is to put the singer like a jewel into an aural space and attitude.  I don't always succeed, but I appreciate it when I'm told that I have.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2004, 02:01:25 PM »

DRJose, in "The Glamorous Life" from SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES, I scored the verse using the cues in the vocal score for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.  For the new film section of the song,  because I think Jonathan's scoring is quite wonderful, I deliberately avoided listening to the soundtrack until after I finished the recording.  Jonathan's more faithful to the Sondheim piano score than I was, and I added a lot more "busy" writing.  Because of the limitations in one of the wind players, I relied more on the brass.  Jonathan's a clarinetist, and he writes well for reeds.  I didn't have the option.

Ah, sometimes inability is mother of invention.  ;)

Hmmm... I guess that could sort of be like when an arranger/conductor finds out that his reed player doubles on flute, oboe, clarinets, sax, and English horn... Or when he hears the keyboard player going through the various sound banks on the keyboard... and then starts writing parts on the fly... Well, at least giving the players new notes to write in their parts...

Could be...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2004, 02:02:07 PM »

I have so many favorite lines, many of which have already been mentioned. I'll add one more:

"But ya ARE, Blanche. Ya ARE in that chair!"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2004, 02:05:08 PM »

On the news just now:  the second time in a month where a moronic mother has left her child in a car with the engine running while she does an errand and the car is stolen!  Knock, knock! Is anybody there?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2004, 02:06:19 PM »

My favorite movie lines...

"Sorry I spilled my drink on you... Let me go ahead and wash your shirt for you now before the stain sets in."

"Hey, I didn't order any pizza?!?!"

"Could you help me put some suntan lotion on my back?"

"Can you help me with this zipper?"

"You look like you need a back rub."

:-X
 ::)
 :-[
 :P
 :o
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:08:51 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2004, 02:06:27 PM »

I have so many favorite lines, many of which have already been mentioned. I'll add one more:

"But ya ARE, Blanche. Ya ARE in that chair!"

Yay!  Isn't it amazing how many great lines Bette Davis made greater?  "I'd kiss you, but I just washed my hair."  Did I get that right?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2004, 02:12:46 PM »

LOL

NPR just broadcast Bob Mondello's review of POTO...  Nice to know the holiday season hasn't smoothed out Bob's unique style.  Let's just say that Bob can do a mean Bette Davis impression.

;)

-I can't wait to read his review of Hallelujah, Baby! in the Washington City Paper tomorrow.  Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2004, 02:23:16 PM »

Yay!  Isn't it amazing how many great lines Bette Davis made greater?  "I'd kiss you, but I just washed my hair."  Did I get that right?

Very close. "I'd luv to kiss ya, but I jess washed mah hair."

It's from CABIN IN THE COTTON.

You're right. Bette has a ton of famous lines associated with her.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2004, 02:24:31 PM »

Our local film critic gave PHANTOM three and a half stars out of four. He greatly admired the stage score (called it the most magnificent theater score of the last 20 years), so it's no wonder he enjoyed the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2004, 02:25:09 PM »

Off to the dinner party now. I'll be back on later tonight.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2004, 02:28:09 PM »

Yes derBrucer has posted an accurate picture of Indiana today, with several more inches of snow forecast for this evening.  Plus some strong winds!

Just got back from taking my neices sledding at a park on the far southeast side of Indy. They loved the big hill! I figured we better get out today to do it because the snow may be to deep tomorrow. Now we are sipping hot cocoa and making cookies. I may share some pictures in a few.

My parents also picked up The Harvey Girls on DVD the other weekend. Was Angela Lansbury's voice dubbed in this movie? I know it wasn't uncommon, but I have also never seen a performance by her at such a young age.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:31:56 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up