Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG MAC  (Read 65925 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE BIG MAC
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2004, 01:18:37 PM »

DR MBarnum, we should all have the problem of looking like you in our pictures!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2004, 01:19:23 PM »

What do you wireless users use for a firewall to keep the baddies out of your  stuff?

From what I've been told, most wireless routers have built-in firewalls or some other sort of built-in protection.  It shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:20:04 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2004, 01:19:41 PM »

BK - Congrats on your new acquisition!  *Just remember there is life outside your house.  ;)  (Almost an Avenue Q reference.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2004, 01:24:39 PM »

DR DTM, re: the dvd recorder question.

Apparently there are a number of options.  You have 1 hour dvds, 2 hour dvds and up.  My dad has been buying the one time only dvds (you can only record on them once).

And he's been using the 2 hour mode (for 2 hour movies ...).  Apparently it comes out MUCH clearer this way.

What speed you record these on will determine how long the recordings last. The top speed gives you a 1 hour DVD. The next best mode gives you a two hour DVD. I truly could not tell the difference between the one and two hour copies, so to save space, I record in the two hour mode (called SP on my DVD recorder). I can fit most movies onto one disc in SP mode. Works great!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2004, 01:25:24 PM »

From what I've been told, most wireless routers have built-in firewalls or some other sort of built-in protection.  It shouldn't be a problem.

Hmm.. Not exactly.  Firewalls are programs.  However, some internet service providers do provide firewall protection as part of their service packages.  Otherwise, there a couple of vendors (McAfee, Norton, etc.) that offer pretty reasonably-priced home firewall programs.

*Last year in DC, there were tons of reports of internet thieves driving around neighborhoods with powerful mobile internet set-ups in their vans, cars, etc.  They would drive around until they found an "open signal" then see what "fun" they could have and what information they could hack into.  Firewalls are highly recommended.  However, some OS's now have some sort of low-level firewall built in.  -At least that's what my brother - who sets up computers for a living - has told me.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2004, 01:26:08 PM »

Another glorious day here in the Carolinas. Took my walk around 3:15, and it was 60 degrees under cloudless blue sky. Another lovely day, but I'm sure the rain the West Coast is experiencing will work its way here sooner or later.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2004, 01:29:33 PM »

OK - I've been spending way too much time inside today... And my Mom and my brother, Jay, are here to watch and take care of md Dad - should he need anything, so...

If I'm not at Arena by 7:15, I'm most likely still in "The Cellar" at Macy's. ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2004, 01:40:14 PM »

Here's a picture of Tewkes!
And he definately looks like a Tewkes!

(But, you know me and dogs.   ::)   :D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2004, 01:43:16 PM »

Wonderful article about one of my heroes, Susan Sontag, in today's LA TIMES.... Excerpted below

Sontag's Life Is Testament To Democratic Meritocracy

By Tim Rutten, Times Staff Writer

Shortly after Susan Sontag died Tuesday in New York, an obituary on the BBC's World Service described her as "the high priestess of the American avant-garde."

So she was, in part.

But to take that topic sentence and its implications as the sum of her 71 years is to discount the example of an inspiring -- and uniquely American -- life.

Much that will be written about her in the weeks ahead will focus on her aesthetic and political legacy and, as the British Broadcasting Corporation's description suggests, on her status as an icon of what some would describe as the international intellectual elite. It also is worth considering, however, that she willed and worked herself into all that she achieved. She was not born to the life of the mind but to a consumptive fur trader, who died when she was 5, and his alcoholic wife, who once told her that if she didn't stop reading, she'd never find a husband. She received her secondary education at North Hollywood High School, from which she graduated at 15 before going on to Berkeley, the University of Chicago and Oxford.

The life Susan Sontag lived, in other words, was not one of an elitist icon, but of an ideal of democratic meritocracy.

In the interest of full disclosure, Susan was for many years a friend and, on occasion, a houseguest of this writer and his wife. Her only child, writer and commentator David Rieff, is a close friend and one of our son's godfathers. During a conversation not long after we met, we discovered that we both had been inspired at an early age by reading Jack London's "Martin Eden," the story of a rough seaman who sets out to win the affection of a middle-class girl through relentless self-education and, in the process, finds and tragically rejects success as a writer. It is a great, if sentimental, American story.

Susan's similarly ruthless pursuit of what she believed was truest and best inevitably conveyed a kind of elitism. Yet no matter how rarified the company, it was open to anybody willing to do the work to join. Her own drive for self-improvement -- and the conviction that knowledge and critical thinking were the tools to accomplish it -- never ceased.

Susan did not drive, and on many visits to Los Angeles this writer happily served as her chauffeur. The destinations always included any notable local museum exhibition and the restaurant Matsuhisa, where the meal inevitably began with two orders of one of the restaurant's signature dishes, toro tartare topped with beluga caviar. But usan's preferred method of filling time was bookstores. The personal library, meticulously cataloged by subject and language, that filled her Manhattan loft was something of a legend in literary circles and, in fact, has been acquired by the University of California, Los Angeles. Still, every visit to local bookshops would end with the purchase of another substantial box or two of books to be shipped home.

Wandering the stacks with her was a rare treat, because she paused not only over the new, but also the familiar and beloved.

"Do you know this?" she would ask, pulling a volume from the shelf.

If the answer was yes, a discussion of the book's merits and shortcomings had to ensue.

If you replied no, Susan's eyes would brighten and her voice climb half an octave: "Oh, but you must have this book. You must read it. It's fantassssstic. I'm going to buy it for you."

And so she did. In the bookcase around the corner from this desk are Stevie Smith's collected poems and W.S. Merwin's luminous translations of Chamfort's aphorisms, mementos of two such excursions and testimony to the capaciousness of her taste and enthusiasm.

Both qualities could make her a magnificently stimulating and utterly exhausting companion. No one this writer ever has known had taken so deeply to heart Albertus Magnus' famous admonition that "the greatest of all human pleasures is to seek the truth in conversation."

On one occasion we talked until after 2 a.m., then reluctantly went off to bed. A habitually early riser, her host rose before dawn and was surprised to find the light on in his study. There was Susan, sitting at the library table desk in a pool of lamp light, surrounded by books taken from the nearby shelves and scribbling into a notebook. "Where did you find these translations from the Philokalia (a collection of religious texts in Greek)?" she demanded. "I don't have them, and they're very interesting."

Over the years, Susan's single-minded confidence enabled her to revisit and reassess some of her own political and aesthetic positions, a process for which she received far too little credit. Sometimes, though, that single-mindedness made other lives and other choices somewhat opaque to her.

Leaving Los Angeles, for example, was so critical to her own embrace of the wider world that she regarded others' conscious decision to remain here as somewhat suspicious.

Once, after a long afternoon of work -- she over a set of galleys, and her host over a newspaper column -- there was conversation about life in Los Angeles and a walk around the yard and into the walled, gravel-pathed vegetable garden at the rear of the lot.

As her host bent over, as gardeners will, and absent-mindedly began to weed a bed of baby lettuces, Susan said, "Oh, now I get it. You live like a poet."

To the generations of Martin Edens to come, to all those Americans who believe that you can be born in Bakersfield or Boise and still aspire to live fully the life of the mind, Susan Sontag left an example -- and this advice:

"Be serious, be passionate, wake up!"

Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2004, 01:47:15 PM »

I don't know if I posted this in June, but in June of 2004, I left a church where I was Director of Music for 14 years because of contractual issues.  There was much more than that, but I don't want to get into it here.  I thought I would enjoy my life without my work in the church because I still had my work in the Catholic school system and such, but as it turns out,  I missed preparing choirs and such for Christmas.  Upon thinking about that, I realized I missed my work in the church as it was (and evidently still is) a big part of who I am.

I received word yesterday that the Director of Music at the parish where I happen to be the school music teacher is losing their Director of Music becuase of illness.  To make a long story short, I inquired about the job and received a call from the Pastor (I was busy, he left a message) asking (actually, hoping) that I was interested in expanding my ministry at the parish.  

So, I'm asking for some HHW vibes as I go through these next few days chatting with the Pastor and hoping that this parish will work for all of us involved.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2004, 02:05:20 PM »

`~~~~~~ Vibes for DR MATTHEW

I am here, DRMBARNUM!  Great photos.

Nice doggie, DR CP!

Very sad about Jerry Orbach.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2004, 02:06:02 PM »

***EXCELLENT VIBES TO DR MATTHEW***

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2004, 02:16:30 PM »

Hope you get what you want from this, DR Matthew.

Matthew

« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2004, 02:18:42 PM »

ACK--- I just found out that the materials for "Zombie Prom" do NOT include vocal books... Damn Samuel French... damn them ALL!!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2004, 02:28:24 PM »

Vibes for DR Matthew
[size=20][move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2004, 02:32:51 PM »

I'd guess there's probably about 1-1/2 inches of snow here today.  Nothing big, just pleasantly white.  (And very late for our first significant snow of the season here!)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2004, 02:41:47 PM »

I received word yesterday that the Director of Music at the parish where I happen to be the school music teacher is losing their Director of Music becuase of illness.  To make a long story short, I inquired about the job and received a call from the Pastor (I was busy, he left a message) asking (actually, hoping) that I was interested in expanding my ministry at the parish.  

So, I'm asking for some HHW vibes as I go through these next few days chatting with the Pastor and hoping that this parish will work for all of us involved.

DRMatthew, you got 'em!   GOOD VIBES ON THE JOB!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2004, 03:43:17 PM »

Do you realize it has been an hour since the last post! What will BK say about that!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2004, 03:49:21 PM »

I wanted to send DRMatthew good vibes in another color.  Let's try again since i've never done this before.

GOOD VIBES WITH THE CHORAL JOB, DR MATTHEW!!!!!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2004, 03:50:20 PM »

Do you realize it has been an hour since the last post! What will BK say about that!

Something rude, I'm sure, like where in tarnation is everybody!

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2004, 04:03:54 PM »

I  was just about to look up something on Amazon.com and got sidetracked by work...now I can't remember what it was I wanted to look up!

Matthew

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2004, 04:04:23 PM »

Just got off the phone with the Pastor, he basically asked me if I was interested in the position, I told him that if we were able to work the details out (which I know we could) then, yes, I would be.  Meeting with him a week from Monday.  Thanks for the vibes!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »

I'm watching the 1970 Wuthering Heights on FLIX channel.  For me, it is the best version.  Much better than the Olivier-Oberon version which is just a little too dainty and polite for me.  This one is dirty and earthy and much more believeable.  Tim Dalton as Heathcliffe and Anna-Calder Marshall as Cathy.  Whatever happened to her?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2004, 04:19:19 PM »

Wonderful article about one of my heroes, Susan Sontag, in today's LA TIMES.... Excerpted below

DRPanni, thanks for the article.  I believe the only thing I've ever read by Sontag was the Notes on Camp.  I still remember what a wave the article made in the theatre dept. around 1967 or '68.  We decided that people fit into three classes:  class, crass, and camp, eg:
Class: Jackie Kenedy
Crass: Jayne Mansfield
Camp: Dale Evans

Anyway, back to Sontag.  My last memory of seeing her name was when she and Annie Liebowitz had a child a couple of years ago.  Am I making this up?

Michael

« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2004, 04:39:24 PM »

I'm watching the 1970 Wuthering Heights on FLIX channel.  For me, it is the best version.  Much better than the Olivier-Oberon version which is just a little too dainty and polite for me.  This one is dirty and earthy and much more believeable.  Tim Dalton as Heathcliffe and Anna-Calder Marshall as Cathy.  Whatever happened to her?

She didn't do much of note, but was Cordelia in Olivier's King Lear on TV
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2004, 04:40:17 PM »

Bummed out about Jerry Orbach. Saw him in Chicago the first Broadway musical I ever saw and in 42nd Street. He will be missed
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2004, 04:40:58 PM »

BK: Did you ever have the opportunity to work with Jerry Orbach?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2004, 04:47:10 PM »

I remember Susan Sontag appeared in Zelig
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2004, 04:49:04 PM »

DR Matthews good vibes.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2004, 05:11:50 PM »

Anyway, back to Sontag.  My last memory of seeing her name was when she and Annie Liebowitz had a child a couple of years ago.  Am I making this up?

I haven't heard of a child. They had a long-term but very discreet relationship. I think Leibowitz had a child by artificial insemination, but I'm not sure. Who am I all of a sudden, Rona Barrett?

Must get ready to go out. Laters!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up