Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD  (Read 80209 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - did you see VALLEY OF THE DOLLS on its original release, do you remember which theatre?  Had you read the book?  If so, which "changes" in the story disappointed you most?

What is your favorite song from the score?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2005, 08:46:38 AM »

Valley of the Dolls Page Three Dance

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2005, 09:08:11 AM »

My question to Bk-

I went to see Jason Graae in Coup de Graae last evening. He was fabulous. He sang a song about not singing "Sondheim"-Do you know who wrote the song and has it been recorded? Also-Coup de Graae should be recorded. Are you available?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 09:11:08 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2005, 09:30:13 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Beautiful day here in Richmond!  72 degress (F)!!!!

I did get some sleep, a little restless at times, but I feel fine now for the most part.  I've got all my stuff packed up, and I just need to finish some cleaning up in the kitchen before packing up the car and heading back up to Fairfax/DC.

I have yet to read the newer posts, but rest assured I shall catch up once I'm back up north.  Gotta run...

Laters...

*Oh, some fun tidbits on Playbill.com yesterday and today: show doctor for GOOD VIBRATIONS, A CHORUS LINE returning to Broadway (I was actually "hinted" into this while in Houston - let's hope it sticks!), etc., etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »

Second question, to the DRs in general:

Have any of you actually been to a Hooter's restaurant?

Come on, fess up!  Tell the truth!

So, what was it like? ;)

I rode by one this past holiday season.  I was with my mom, an aunt and female cousin.  Oddly, everything we had driven by was remarked upon, but not "Hooters."  We drove by this g-i-n-o-r-m-o-u-s "Hooters" sign and not one word was uttered.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2005, 09:47:25 AM »

I'm home today nursing a h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e head cold.  My sinuses are stuffed up (yet, oddly, d-r-a-i-n-i-n-g, as well), my throat is raw, I feel a bit queasy and I'm sneezing germs all over the place.

Question for BK:  Does my current condition mean I am "germinating"?

I'm swaddled in my "South Carolina flag" blanket as I type.  It's navy blue and has the palmetto tree and crescent moon of the SC state emblem on one side. It's one of those stadium blankets made of sweat shirt blend cotton (20% rayon, 80% cotton) and it's sized to keep two people warm at a football game.  It's cozy.

Re: DVD issues: "Lady in a Cage" is one of the few films scored by composer Paul Glass.  One of the best scores of the 1960s (and all-time, for that matter) was Glass' "Bunny Lake is Missing."  Other scores were for such esoterica as "Interregnum," "The Abductors" and "Nightmare in the Sun." He also wrote a score for Hammer Films' "The Seed of Astoroth," a track of which is available on the CD "The Hammer Film Music Collection, Vol. 2."  

I read ... in an interview with Randy Newman...that Randy was at the recording sessions for "Bunny Lake..." with his Uncle Lionel, who exclaimed: "That music is too damned good for this picture!"

Lionel Newman was brother of legendary film music titan Alfred Newman.  Alfred left 20th Century-Fox in 1960, but Lionel remained behind to head up the television music division.  He conducted many film scores during the 1960s, including quite af few of Jerry Goldsmith's finest.  Lionel was an exceptional conductor.  

Ah...the mind gets on a tangent and won't let go till it has run its course.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 09:49:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2005, 09:47:33 AM »

Hope your little people have perfectly gone this morning, dear BK.
Today is Ask Day, right?
Having a question to dear BK or to Dear Readers who has no little people in your heads. I’d like to have some information about a film “Scarlet Street” which I’ve never seen before. A few days ago my friend, who is talented for painting, in Buffalo, recommended me to watch it , but unfortunately I couldn’t find a DVD but only a VHS from it in Japan. I’ll buy at least a VHS and I’d like to know your opinions on the film before my purchase, for my reference.
Thank you in advance.

Scarlet Street is an excellent movie (based on a French film whose name I can't remember) - made alongside the better Woman in the Window.  Both movies feature Eddie G. Robinson, Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea.  The problem with Scarlet Street is finding a decent copy to view - it's in the Public Domain, and most of the VHS tapes look really bad.  In the States and the UK there are quite a few DVDs of Scarlet Street, some of which are decent, but none of which are optimal.  It's Fritz Lang, so any Lang will be an interesting viewing experience.  So, yes, it's recommended with a warning about the quality you're likely to find.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2005, 09:49:23 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I had a question for you yesterday and now I forget it!  I'm listening to JEEPERS CREEPERS to see if it jogs my diminishing gray cells.  And it did:  are any CDs for the first two Kritzer books floating around the manse?  I bought the first book before I knew this site existed and the second before I became an acolyte.  Barnes & Noble, of course, was quite stingy about offering any aural experience with my purchase.

I have a couple of Kritzerland CDs left, but am out of Benjamin Kritzer.  However, the good news is that the contents of all three CDs are now in my computer, so I can burn you a copy if that's all right.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2005, 09:52:04 AM »

My question for Ask BK Day:

Dear BK,
With all your talent in the recording studio and the modern technology available today, would you be able to make Ashlee Simpson sound good?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2005, 09:52:55 AM »

Two quick posts before we head off to ladsittingland:

First, an actual "Ask BK" question for BK!

Last week, while enjoying your Burt Bacharach Album, there were a couple of artists that der B couldn't place.  How and where did you find

Shauna Hicks ("A Bacharach Love Story")

and

Melba Joyce ("My Little Red Book"),

and would you know what's become of them since?

Shauna has been on two of my albums, Bacharach and Unsung Irving Berlin (her first).  I found her in Blood Brothers - she was terrific in the show, and I met her and told her that I'd use her as soon as the right song came along.  She's done other shows since - she always seems to be working.  Somewhere along the way I seem to recall that she married Michael X. Martin (I think that's his name), one of the leads in Bed and Sofa.

Melba is on many of my albums.  She was a Lanny Meyers recommendation and she's terrific and we loved working together.  Don't know what she's up to now.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2005, 09:56:33 AM »

Dear BK,

Does your head feel better now?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2005, 09:58:25 AM »

Max Preeo is reporting that the upcoming DVD release of Hawaii (for which I've been waiting a long, long time) is, inexplicably, going to be the edited version.  All the more strange, since the laserdisc was the unedited version.  MGM/UA has shown itself receptive to changing things when they receive protest letters, so please, everyone, fire off a letter to:

Mr. David Bishop
President of MGM Home Entertainment
2500 Broadway St.
Santa Monica, CA 90404

So my ASK BK question is:  do you know anyone at MGM/UA Home Entertainment (maybe Mr. Bishop himself) that you could tell personally what a STUPID FRIGGING IDEA this is (but only in the nicest possible way)?

I will only say that all this info is coming second hand.  It's PROBABLY correct but MGM has not released the specs on this title.  However, from what I understand, the negative was cut on the film (when the twenty minutes of cuts were made) and the laser took the reinstated footage from some kind of print they had sitting around.  It may have been deemed unacceptable to do that for the DVD release.  That's the same reason The Alamo is the shorter version.  

To my mind, despite the occasional top-notch job (The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly), MGM/UA is the worst studio releasing DVDs today (the worst MAJOR).  Therefore, I don't hold out much hope for Hawaii (although the initial rumblings are that it IS anamorphically enhanced, so that's good).  Again, MGM has released no specs on the title.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2005, 10:01:36 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - did you see VALLEY OF THE DOLLS on its original release, do you remember which theatre?  Had you read the book?  If so, which "changes" in the story disappointed you most?

What is your favorite song from the score?

Yes, I saw it opening day or soon thereafter.  If my memory is correct I want to say I saw it at the Village in Westwood.  If it wasn't there, it may have been the Chinese.  I hadn't read the book (and still haven't).  My favorite song is the title song, which I WILL record someday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2005, 10:02:38 AM »

My question to Bk-

I went to see Jason Graae in Coup de Graae last evening. He was fabulous. He sang a song about not singing "Sondheim"-Do you know who wrote the song and has it been recorded? Also-Coup de Graae should be recorded. Are you available?

I am totally available to record Coup de Graae.  The Sondheim song is by Barry Kleinbort and is available, I think, on his CD Big City Rhythm.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2005, 10:05:43 AM »

My question for Ask BK Day:

Dear BK,
With all your talent in the recording studio and the modern technology available today, would you be able to make Ashlee Simpson sound good?

You can make her sound acceptable.  You can help her with interpretation.  Having never heard her, I have no idea how bad she is, but one has to assume they are doing all they can with her.  Great singers are not taught to be great singers.  They have the gift.  They are taught to use the gift.  That said, there have been many songs sung by non-great singers that are favorites of mine for various reasons.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2005, 10:07:10 AM »

Nice to have some actual questions today.

My head does feel better - the little people have gone home.

No, Ron, you are not germinating.  If you give in to germinating then you will be germinating.  Just say no.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2005, 10:09:10 AM »

I'm glad you're feeling better. Often, caffeine will boost the effectiveness of pain meds by dilating the blood vessels. So a good cup of Starbucks coffee can help.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2005, 10:26:26 AM »

I'm glad you're feeling better. Often, caffeine will boost the effectiveness of pain meds by dilating the blood vessels. So a good cup of Starbucks coffee can help.

And it tastes good too!

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2005, 10:27:32 AM »

This morning is just draaaaaagiiiiingggg...it is only 10:30 am, but feels like it should already be 2 O'clock in the afternoon!

I guess I am just not in the mood to be in the office today.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2005, 10:30:19 AM »

Second question, to the DRs in general:

Have any of you actually been to a Hooter's restaurant?

;)

No.

That was quick and to the point, wasn't it?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2005, 10:30:48 AM »

I caught Valley of the Dolls in Chicago, shortly after it opened. I was heading back to Toronto from Wisconsin and had a long wait between buses - so long, in fact, that after VotD I headed to another theatre in the Loop and saw Fearless Vampire Killers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2005, 10:33:17 AM »

In my case, a good cup of coffee wouldn't help only because I hate coffee.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2005, 10:36:54 AM »

I just paid a visit to another board to see what they were saying about A Chorus Line.  The usual - "it's not relevant to my generation, I hope they change it" by these whiny kiddies who frequent those boards.  One of them said, "I want it to be fresh and relevant to my generation."  Yes!  Let's change Death of a Salesman so it's "relevant to my generation".  What a load of stupid, spoiled hooey.  I would like to think that when I was that age I was not that stupid.  I didn't want anything I saw to be relevant to my generation - I wanted to learn about everything.  And, of course, the films and shows that were relevant to my generation I hated at the time - Easy Rider, Hair, all those counter-culture movies.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2005, 10:37:21 AM »

We have beautiful blue skies for a second day.  Hoo and ray.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2005, 10:54:37 AM »

How would one go about making A CHORUS LINE relevant?  I guess my question is what makes it non-relevant?  The audtiion process is basically the same....so maybe the setting would have to be changed to an AMERICAN IDOL type television show.....

"I hope I get....I hope I get.....how many phone calls do I need?"

Oh my.....yes.....how about a Guy Haines and Friends CD's of all those faux "Movie" songs from movies?  And their theme songs of course - "Two Weeks in Another Town", "Lonely Girl", "He's Movin' On", "Theme From VOD" and "You're Gonna Hear From Me" , "I'll Plant My Own Tree", and "Lose That Long Face."

Of all the songs on Patty Duke's VOD album, she really does a pretty good job on the theme song...acting wise if NOT pitch wise!

RLP - you are right Alfred Newman was King - and Lionel's television work was outstanding as well.  I loved his themes for all the Irwin Allen shows. Oh....add "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" to that list.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2005, 10:55:09 AM »

63 degrees F and overcast here with forecasts of single digit temps by Friday.

Jed

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2005, 11:00:17 AM »

I just paid a visit to another board to see what they were saying about A Chorus Line.  The usual - "it's not relevant to my generation, I hope they change it" by these whiny kiddies who frequent those boards.  One of them said, "I want it to be fresh and relevant to my generation."  Yes!  Let's change Death of a Salesman so it's "relevant to my generation".  What a load of stupid, spoiled hooey.  I would like to think that when I was that age I was not that stupid.  I didn't want anything I saw to be relevant to my generation - I wanted to learn about everything.  And, of course, the films and shows that were relevant to my generation I hated at the time - Easy Rider, Hair, all those counter-culture movies.  

I, for one, will rant and rave and throw things out windows and write Marvin Hamlisch out of my will if one iota of the show is "my generation"-alized!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »

"If DiCaprio can be a movie star, then I can be a movie star..."

Blech.  Blech.  Ptooey.

Jed

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2005, 11:07:40 AM »

"Charlie Sheen, out!  Pat Swayze, in!"

*nausea increasing*

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2005, 11:10:20 AM »

Feel better BK, and DR RLP, and any other DRs who are under the weather.

Hmmm, DR MBarnum, have you watched AMAZING RACE yet?

SPACE JUST IN CASE (don't read this if you didn't watch last night's show).

So what did you guys think of last night's show?  I thought it was interesting that the fast forward people would not let jonathan/victoria go for the fast forward. I assumed they would let both teams put on the underwater gear and duke it out.

How funny watching devil-boy in that space suit! :)

I figured Hayden and aaron would come in last.  THey are not good at directions and should have made sure they were right behind kendra and freddie.  I hadn't realized that they were in a definite alliance till they kept mentioning it last night.

I hate that the 2 worst teams (wrestlers/ adam.rebecca) both got the fast forwards.  And i'm also wishing that there wasn't so much bunching up.  I don't want one of the better teams to get eliminated because of one bad move.

I can't wait till next week.  I guess it's almost over. With only 6 teams left (the finale usually has 3 or 4 teams and 2 hours).  So potentially only a few more weeks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up