Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY  (Read 28770 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

If you are at all worried, go to the clinic.  It won't hurt to go, and you'll feel better knowing nothing is wrong or, if something needs to be attended to, they can do it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page four!  POPPYCOCK!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2005, 11:57:35 AM »

Have we had a posting yet about how much the cut pinkie bled?

If medical attention has not been given, DR Jennifer, are you (I hope) watching to make sure that red streaks don't start traveling up your arm from the site of the wound?

That's a sign of infection...so if it happens, do please seek "medical attention."

Very good and important advice!

Jennifer, don’t just bandage it.  You need a butterfly band aid, if possible, but make sure it is pulled together as tight as possible so it will hold.

If you think the cut isn't too deep and didn't cause any damage to a nerve or something and you can keep the wound shut and clean you probably don't need stitches.  Sometimes that is a hard call to make.  The pain sounds normal to me.

Did you clean the cut well, first with peroxide and then with rubbing alcohol or any disinfectant?  I would keep it clean and keep using a triple antibiotic ointment on it.  It could take several days before it stops opening back up.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »

Ben & Ron thank you for the links-such sad, sad news.  I just love his face.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2005, 12:04:17 PM »

OK, I need 61 more words on rhetoric. Anybody?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2005, 12:08:59 PM »

DR JENNIFER go to the clinic!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2005, 12:09:32 PM »

DR SANDRA my favorite thing about Rhetoric was at the end of the movie when he left Scarlett.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »

OK, I need 61 more words on rhetoric. Anybody?

Perhaps this will help, no cheating now..... :D

http://www.public.iastate.edu/%7Ehoneyl/Rhetoric/oneindex.html

Rhetoric is the counterpart of Dialectic. It is a subject that can be treated systematically. The argumentative modes of persuasion are the essence of the art of rhetoric: appeals to the emotions warp the judgement. The writers of current text- books on rhetoric give too much attention to the forensic branch (in which chicanery is easier) and too little to the political (where the issues are larger). Argumentative persuasion is a sort of demonstration, and the rhetorical form of demonstration is the enthymeme. Four uses of rhetoric. Its possible abuse is no argument against its proper use on the side of truth and justice. The honest rhetorician has no separate name to distinguish him from the dishonest.

Definition of rhetoric as "the faculty of observing in any given case the available means of persuasion." Of the modes of persuasion some belong strictly to the art of rhetoric and some do not. The rhetorician finds the latter kind (viz. witnesses, contracts, and the like) ready to his hand. The former kind he must provide himself; and it has three divisions -- (1) the speaker's power of evincing a personal character which will make his speech credible (ethos ); (2) his power of stirring the emotions of his hearers (pathos ); (3) his power of proving a truth, or an apparent truth, by means of persuasive arguments (logos ). Hence rhetoric may be regarded as an offshoot of dialectic, and also of ethical (or political) studies. The persuasive arguments are (a) the example, corresponding to induction in dialectic; (b) the enthymeme, corresponding to the syllogism; (c) the apparent enthymeme, corresponding to the apparent syllogism. The enthymeme is a rhetorical syllogism, and the example a rhetorical induction. Rhetoric has regard to classes of men, not to individual men; its subjects, and the premisses from which it argues, are in the main such as present alternative possibilities in the sphere of human action; and it must adapt itself to an audience of untrained thinkers who cannot follow a long train of reasoning. The premisses from which enthymemes are formed are "probabilities" and "signs"; and signs are either fallible or infallible.... The lines of argument, or topics, which enthymemes follow may be distinguished as common (or, general) and special (i.e. special to a single study, such as natural science or ethics). The special lines should be used discreetly, if the rhetorician is not to find himself deserting his own field for another.

:P ??? ::)

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2005, 12:15:24 PM »

Has Jennifer gone to the clinic?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2005, 12:16:09 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Sorry to have been errant and truant until now, but...

I did get up before Noon around 8:30, but then I fell asleep again, and the next thing I knew it was 11:45.  Ah, well...  After getting out of bed, I took care of my usual daily internet stuff, then headed downstairs for my workout.  Then upstairs for breakfast/brunch/lunch and the Friday newspaper.  Then, taking the "hint" from the note my Mom left on the counter, I vacuumed the carpets.  -I have to say it still amazes me just how "messy" my parents can be at times.  ;)

And, now, I'm here...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2005, 12:17:27 PM »

DR Jennifer - Go to the clinic.  It may be a minor thing, but since it continued to bleed for two hours...

Of course, now we all want to know exactly how it happened.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2005, 12:19:16 PM »

Thank you, Vixmom. I would probably get in trouble if I lifted from Aristotle.

OK, I came up with my last 61 words, and I'm ready to go home. I'll have to see if I can post my assignment for my IAAAAWWOTD class (how's that for an abbreviation?) from home on the neighbor's wireless connection. If not, my teacher will bite my head off and we'll all have something to talk about.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2005, 12:20:20 PM »

I'm taking a break.  I got through the little section of the book I was working on, a major little plot moment.  I just looked at the current page number and was shocked to see how far along I am just short of three weeks in.  I think the stuff won't go quite as fast, but who knows, maybe it will.

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2005, 12:24:39 PM »

Very good and important advice!

Jennifer, don’t just bandage it.  You need a butterfly band aid, if possible, but make sure it is pulled together as tight as possible so it will hold.

If you think the cut isn't too deep and didn't cause any damage to a nerve or something and you can keep the wound shut and clean you probably don't need stitches.  Sometimes that is a hard call to make.  The pain sounds normal to me.

Did you clean the cut well, first with peroxide and then with rubbing alcohol or any disinfectant?  I would keep it clean and keep using a triple antibiotic ointment on it.  It could take several days before it stops opening back up.

Going to the clinic is not possible right now since my car is not here.

I didn't use peroxide or rubbing alcohol. I cleaned it with soap and water and put an antibiotic cream.

I will show it to some people in a couple of hours and see what they think.

DR Jose, actually I was cutting a piece of cheese and i guess i just didn't notice that my pinkie had lodged itself under the knife.  Not too exciting. :(

Thanks for the advice DR Jane and others.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »

I vote clinic, Jennifer. Two hours is too long. And you can't type and nurse a wound at the same time!

Rhetoric is poppycock.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2005, 12:25:54 PM »

Friday Media Check:

CD Player:

"Unsung Sondheim" - Thank you, BK.  Thank you, DR elmore.
"Frenesi" - Linda Ronstadt
Lady In The Dark - Original 1963 Studio Cast Recording with Rise Stevens.
"Live at the Cimarron Ballrom" - Patsy Cline
"2" - Rockapella
Follies - OCR
I Can Get It For You Wholesale - OCR
"Billie Holiday" - Compilation from Ken Burns' "Jazz"
"October Road"- James Taylor

And, finally - and unfortunately...
Fame: The Musical - 1999 Original American Cast Recording - I won this from the now defunct MTI contest a few years ago, and I finally put this in the CD player.  I knew it was going to be "not good" before I pushed play, and after it finished... Ugh!  The weird part is that I had actually MD'ed one of the first US productions of this show a couple of years ago, and there were actually some nice things in it.  Of course, when I got to a track whose title I recognized, the whole number had been either restructured and/or rewritten.  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2005, 12:26:07 PM »

If not, my teacher will bite my head off

If that happens you should DEFINITELY go to the clinic

:D

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2005, 12:28:32 PM »

http://www.samepath.com/firstaid/cuts.htm

"Any kind of wound that breaks the skin is prone to infection especially a wound that is deep and does not bleed very much. Very close attention will need to be spent over the next several days when dressing a wound to make sure no signs of infection are present. Signs of infection include swelling, white discharge, a red circle around the wound, or red streaks in the area of the wound. Any kind of infection can be serious and medical attention should be sought. "

http://expage.com/page/cutsandabrasions

"CUTS AND ABRASIONS
THE PROPER TREATMENT

CUTS:
1. Cleanse area thoroughly with soap and warm water, carefully washing away any dirt.
2. Apply direct pressure to wound until bleeding stops.
3. Put sterile bandage on wound.
4. If cut is deep, get to a doctor as quickly as possible."

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 12:51:45 PM by vixmom »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »

Also, Can I take the time to say that this site is the greatest?

First, such a welcoming bunch of folks; then, I swear, practically every post references some wonderful bit of esoterica that I myself have in my field of interest. Of course, there is the occasional pinkie wound as well, but even though I live in a cultural mecca, it is not easy for me to find people who can readily discuss Larry Clinton, Ben Bagley, Rod McKuen, Paul Petersen, Killer Klowns and so on.

Really, a life-affirming place!

Jane

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2005, 12:29:55 PM »

Vixmom-LOL

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2005, 12:31:16 PM »

I vote clinic, Jennifer. Two hours is too long. And you can't type and nurse a wound at the same time!

Well i'm not using my pinkie needless to say. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2005, 12:32:25 PM »

Oh...  And...

"Bright Eyed Joy" - The Songs of Ricky Ian Gordon
"The Complete Songs of Samuel Barber" - with Cheryl Studer and Thomas Hampson.  I'm not too fond of Ms. Studer's contribution to this set, but...

-I keep meaning to check if Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's recording of the Three Songs, Op. 45, have ever made it to CD.  I loved listening to that LP when I was in college.  "A Green Lowland of Pianos" is one of my favorite art songs.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2005, 12:32:52 PM »

Thanks DR vixmom.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »

Ditto what Rodzinski said.

It is incredibly beautiful today.  I shall now go do an errand or three and then shall return.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2005, 12:34:38 PM »

If that happens you should DEFINITELY go to the clinic

:D
Moms everywhere would concur!  This mom also thinks Jennifer should have her finger examined.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2005, 12:35:01 PM »

BK - "The Quintessence" was the first CD that was used in my Jazz Arranging I class in college.  We had to transcribe horn lines.  Great listening.  And great use of french horns too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2005, 12:35:35 PM »

Well i'm not using my pinkie needless to say. :)

Who does?  You have eight other perfectly serviceable fingers with which to type!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2005, 12:35:53 PM »

OK - Time for me to take care of some things before everybody starts shutting down for the weekend...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2005, 12:38:15 PM »

First, such a welcoming bunch of folks; then, I swear, practically every post references some wonderful bit of esoterica that I myself have in my field of interest. Of course, there is the occasional pinkie wound as well, but even though I live in a cultural mecca, it is not easy for me to find people who can readily discuss Larry Clinton, Ben Bagley, Rod McKuen, Paul Petersen, Killer Klowns and so on.

And wait 'til we REALLY get going on food!

I think BK covered it slightly above, but you, and DR Vixmom, are very welcome additions to our little family.  And both of you seem to have fit right in, with barely a ripple in the water.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2005, 12:45:14 PM »

Welcome to HHW, DR Rodzinski!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up