Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PROOFING GOT THE BEST OF ME  (Read 6289 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PROOFING GOT THE BEST OF ME
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:38:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes got the best of me, and now it is time for you to post until the proofing cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: PROOFING GOT THE BEST OF ME
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:38:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROLIFERATE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:57:22 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to (former) DR Kate!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:35:15 AM »

Time for me to go to bed.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 04:16:50 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 04:19:19 AM »

I am quite frustrated over losing a day of tax prep yesterday.  It all began around 10:30 with the smell of cat pee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:23:55 AM »

I keep things pertaining to the litter box quite clean and odorless, so that stink sent me into a cleaning mode.  I cleaned the area around the liter box, washed down the litter mat, and sprayed everything with an enzyme odor0-eating cleaner for cats.  I had to keep the cats out of the bathroom while that dried, so I locked them out and decided to clean the TV screen, which really needed it, and moved on to the computer. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 04:29:19 AM »

I unplugged the keyboard, cleaned the computer screen, and sprayed Windex onto the keyboard and briskly wiped it with a paper towel.  I plugged the keyboard back into the computer and got a black screen.  Well, it wasn't really black, the brightness had dimmed until everything was barely legible.  I found the brightness button at the top of the keyboard, and pressed it, the screen lit up, but as soon as I touched a key the screen went dark again.  I went into Systems Preferences and tinkered with that for a bit until it was no longer dimming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 04:33:37 AM »

Then, since I never play with the keys at the top of the keyboard, I touched one that corresponds with the F4 key on some keyboards (mine had only symbols) and all the icons on my desktop grouped into clumps: all the .jpgs in one, documents in another, and I knew something was out of my limited control.  I called my Mac expert Joshie, who suggested I go to Findet, go to "View" and unstack everything.  I did, things seemed to revert, and I went thanked him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 04:38:10 AM »

Only . . . the icons were now stuck to the desktop and could not be moved around any longer,  I called Joshie back, and got a message that he was away from his desk.  I called AppleCare.  I spoke to a nice young man named Justin, who  - after suggested several things that failed - believed the solution to my problem was a needed upgrade to Mojave 10.14.3.  My computer insisted that 10.14.2 was the latest upgrade, which I had, but Justin guided me through getting the new upgrade, and that wasted two hours of my life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 04:44:18 AM »

Well, I may have Apple's latest upgrade, but my computer was still screwed up, so around 2:30 I called AppleCare again and got a nice young man named Richie.  I gave him my case number, and he made a lot of suggestions that didn't work.  I had discovered, playing around with the desktop, that I could not throw anything into the trash.  When I tried, I had to enter my password, and the computer told me I wasn't authorized to  do anything!  Richie was quite thorough, and we learned that part of my problem working with him was that my keyboard was no longer working, so I retrieved another from my closet.  I had purchased one last year when I thought the other keyboard was dying, but I hated the new one and just put it away.  We went through every possible thing he could think of to help me, and he finally said that I needed to talk to a senior officer.  Lyle took over the case around 4:00.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:58:56 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 04:54:01 AM »

Lyle went through everything that Richie had been through.  Since our keyboards were linked, he could see the issues on my desktop, and in a passing comment, I mentioned the problem with putting things into the trash.  He knew exactly what the problem was, and I still do not.  In terms I can best understand, I needed to reset the entire computer and my personal ownership of it, something Lyle hadn't done before, and we had to do it twice since the first attempt was bungled by attempting to accomplish two processes at the same time.  Before we redid this, all the icons on the desktop unfroze, but only to a limited degree.  The second attempt finished up just around 8:00, and it worked.  Everything is back in place, and all is well this morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 04:59:30 AM »

This will be a looooong tax day.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 05:08:33 AM »

I am pleased to announce the publication of DICK POWELL, the 20th play in THE HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS Collection.

Dick Powell made a career of reinventing himself. 

Born in Arkansas, the young tenor played horn, banjo and sang with various dance bands and orchestras in Pittsburgh and elsewhere before he was brought to Hollywood where he sang opposite Ruby Keeler and others in such classic Busby Berkeley musicals as 42ND STREET, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935 and the Al Jolson film, WONDER BAR

In the mid-1940s, Powell played Philip Marlowe in MURDER, MY SWEET, which began his period of doing “tough guy” roles in films like CORNERED, JOHNNY O’CLOCK and CRY DANGER

His astute mind for business led him to invest in real estate and, in the early 1950s, he moved his show business interests into producing and directing.  Along with David Niven and Charles Boyer, he formed Four Star Productions, one of the most prolific production companies in television. 

Powell was married three times.  His second wife was actress Joan Blondell and his third, actress June Allyson, twelve years his junior.

Michael B. Druxman’s DICK POWELL is a one-person play that looks in on the actor at two different periods in his life: during the mid-1940s when he is struggling to reinvent his career from singer to dramatic actor, and the mid-1950s, as he deals with billionaire Howard Hughes, producer of director Powell’s ill-fated (and deadly) John Wayne-epic film, THE CONQUEROR.

DICK POWELL
is available in both paperback and Kindle editions via Amazon and other booksellers.  Performance rights are available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1794632611/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548805592&sr=1-1&keywords=dick+powell+druxman

You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 05:27:25 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 05:31:11 AM »

Well, our state is a sea of black ice. Not the main roads, but some neighborhood ones and many driveways and parking lots. The next few days will be treacherous enough in many states because of the temperatures. Fun, fun, fun. Stay warm, everyone.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 05:39:10 AM »

OMG, DR Elmore, what a horrible day. Vibes it is all behind you.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 05:51:21 AM »

How great to see photographic evidence of vixmom and vixdad at the Space Center, especially the one at the Vehicle Assembly Building. I have been in awe of that thing since I was there on a trip with my high school chorus in ‘66/‘67. If you haven’t literally been there, you have no idea of the mindboggling size of that amazing structure. Since then I’ve only seen it from a distance, and I need to get back to all of that someday because I love the whole “Space Coast” thing.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 05:58:09 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 05:58:38 AM »

Congratulations on the Dick Powell play, DR Druxy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »

I slept well, but my body is greedy and wants more.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »

DR DRUXY the play sounds very interesting!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 06:34:39 AM »

Apple Vibes for DR ELMORE - with tax vibes thrown in.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 06:35:38 AM »

Yes Indiana is closed.....US Mail delivery has been suspended.....my thermometer shows -10 degrees....that is without the wind chill factor....so it is an enforced home day for us.

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »

Yep. We get ours tonight and over the next two days.

KevinH

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 06:52:30 AM »

Good morning!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 07:32:42 AM »

Congratulations on the Dick Powell play, DR Druxy.

I second that.

Jane

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 07:33:14 AM »

I slept well, but my body is greedy and wants more.

Same way I feel.

Jane

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »

DR George, TCB was referrencing a past cruise through a hurricane.   Passengers and the crew are fine on his current trip.

Jane

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 07:37:36 AM »

DR elmore I am glad you had a spare keyboard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up