Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAYS OF FUTZING AND FINESSING  (Read 2984 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: THE DAYS OF FUTZING AND FINESSING
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »

Good Afternoon.  Home from church. Beginnings of Tortellini soup in the slow cooker now getting ready to get back to school this week.  We have a choice of being at school or being at home, I haven't decided yet.  I think I will be at school, we'll see.   

Matthew

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »

Page 4 dance!! 

Matthew

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2021, 02:52:06 PM »

There as a request of the pastor to sing "The Little Drummer Boy" today as it went along with his homily.  So, we complied, and it was fine.  I even played the cajon, and someone actually said "I didn't know you played the drums" and I'm like.... I don't...  LOL

However, I laughed every time we got to "the ox and lamb kept time" remembering what DR Singdaw posted a few weeks ago about "Thyme". It's the little things....

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2021, 02:59:54 PM »

Glad to be of service, DR Matthew.        :D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2021, 03:06:06 PM »

My friend saw the McGuire Sisters in a concert at a local dinner theatre.....probably in the 1980's........

He said they put on a great show.....that Phyllis was conducting the band with her hand behind her back so the guys could keep up with them.....  They took questions from the audience.

Phyllis looked at one of them and was quite surprised.....she said that she had just gotten a note from the guy who was their dentist when they lived in Ohio.  She asked him to stand up and they had a nice conversation.

She closed it by saying: "And ladies and gentlemen, that is the man that put the first hole in my head."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »

My card seems to be fine on the Capital One site....there seems to be nothing wrong with my PayPal account.....I guess maybe it's at the dealer....or something.....who knows.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2021, 03:20:24 PM »

My friend saw the McGuire Sisters in a concert at a local dinner theatre.....probably in the 1980's........

He said they put on a great show.....that Phyllis was conducting the band with her hand behind her back so the guys could keep up with them.....  They took questions from the audience.

Phyllis looked at one of them and was quite surprised.....she said that she had just gotten a note from the guy who was their dentist when they lived in Ohio.  She asked him to stand up and they had a nice conversation.

She closed it by saying: "And ladies and gentlemen, that is the man that put the first hole in my head."

I haven't seen the movie since its first release, but I think Phyllis has a nice role in the film Come Blow Your Horn.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »

Love the McGuire stories.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »

You mean the ox and lamb weren’t spice merchants? Heresy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2021, 03:38:33 PM »

Gratuitous post No. 99!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2021, 03:39:12 PM »

Tortellini soup sounds good, very comforting.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:02 PM »

;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »

Bruce I have a few suggestions that might help you. 
First, stop drinking soda for awhile.  Drink water instead.
Try putting something under the head of your mattress to elevate it. 
After you eat, at least 3 hours before going to bed, try walking awhile to digest your food.  It can be a slow walk around your house.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - went back to bed around eight or thereabouts and slept until two-twenty.  Probably six hours of sleep all told.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2021, 04:28:48 PM »

Playing ketchup ever since.  Listened and finessed a track and locked another one, so just one left, but now my actor is asking if we can push the shoot a week - this is typical and my fear is if we do something will come up for him - he's staying with relatives in Florida is the issue, so he's asking if we can wait until he's back in Boston.  Not sure what to do - if we keep it this week we don't shoot until 8 at night our time, which is eleven his time and I'm not sure how his daughter, who's ten, does her few scenes at that hour.  And I have not done a damn thing with the book today, which is infuriating, so I'll start on that now - happily, I did a couple of extra pages last night.  If I do ten new ones today that's fine.  But I don't know if I can or not yet.  Meanwhile, I picked up one package and have ordered food.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »

Had a pastrami sandwich from Togo's for food, and spent two hours futzing and finessing - tons of little additions and deletions and adding more detail and new stuff.  But I had twenty pages to do. I've written two new pages and am taking a break.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2021, 07:12:50 PM »

Listening to some music. I'm still pretty tired and slightly out of it.  I will definitely write five or six more pages for sure, and ten if I'm feeling up to it, but I think I'll start that at eight o'clock.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »

Tomorrow I must do the laundry.

I'm doing my second load of laundry now.  This will be the last for today. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2021, 08:05:25 PM »

Really enjoying Legacy. Stephen Flaherty's music is always worth a listen. I'm looking forward to a few more listens.

I just got that, too.  I'll hopefully listen to it tomorrow at work.  I love Flaherty's music!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »

Has anyone watched Ratatouille?

I haven't.  Should I?  Is it good??

George

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2021, 08:05:56 PM »

Massenet wrote a ton of operas, but my two favorites are Manon and Cendrillon, a version of Cinderella I prefer over Rossini's Cenerentola.  I very much like Beverly Sill's recording of Manon, and I've got the recordings featuring Victoria de los Angeles, a soprano I love, and Ileana Cotrubas, but Manon was one of Sills' best roles.

I am also very fond of this this recording of Cendrillon, with Fredrica von Stade (who's quite wonderful), because Ruth Welting's Fairy Godmother is spectacular.  The role of the Prince was written for a soprano, and this recording uses tenor Nicolai Gedda, just as many cast Prince Orlofsky in Die Fledermaus with a male singer instead of a mezzo-soprano.  I have the same problem with casting a tenor in drag as the Witch in Hansel and Gretel.

And this leads to another French opera I like very much, Mignon by Ambroise Thomas, based like Massenet's Werther on a novel by Goethe. I love this recording and once again the spectacular Ruth Welting - whatever became of her? - is dazzling as the actress-drama queen Philine; Marilyn Horne and the rest of the cast are wonderful. I'm also a big fan of conductor Antonio de Almeida, who was working on a huge book of Offenbach when he died.

OperaVision is streaming Komische Oper Berlin's production of Massenet's Cendrillon through January 20.  This has an updated story, though:

When a budding ballerina falls badly, her dreams are shattered along with her leg. Is there a life for her beyond her fantasy? And will Prince Charming take notice of her even though she may never dance again?

With the Berlin premiere of Cendrillon, the Komische Oper Berlin is lifting Massenet's rarely seen opera out of the cinders. In his surprisingly tragic interpretation, the renowned Italian director Damiano Michieletto plays with the clichés of the ruthless ballet world and crosses the line between fairytale magic and reality.

John G.

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »

Really enjoyed Jimmy Carter, Rock & Roll President. The documentary dealt with Carter's love of music, which included jazz, country and classical in addition to rock. But it did showcase the Allman Brothers, Jimmy Buffett and others who raised money for Carter's first campaign. Carter was the one who started concerts on the White House lawn with people like Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, Herbie Hancock and more playing. Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood, Bono, Buffett, Allman and more were among the talking heads. A few read some of Carter's poetry.

Reagan appears for less than 2 minutes, and in that time, you can see the seeds of Trumpism and division being sown. I had forgotten what an ugly, soulless horror that man really was, not to mention senile.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »

We didn't snow, which had been a possibility, but we got rain and temperatures in the upper 30s. Not going outside today.

It's been raining a bit today, but not so cold as your area!  I went to my sister's and moved the hook to hold a ceiling lamp so that the lamp itself is right over where she moved her table to. 

George

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2021, 08:08:25 PM »

Then, I went to the mall and met my friend David.  He was down from Seattle for the day and we caught up and walked around the mall and got pretzels at Wetzel's Pretzels. :)

George

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »

And dealing with stuff I can’t post about

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for DR Vixmom.

{{{VIBES AND DITTO HUGS!!}}}

George

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2021, 08:13:39 PM »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2021, 08:14:59 PM »

Wetzel's Pretzels.

I was going to make a joke but there is apparently no other word that rhymes with Wetzel's.      :D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2021, 08:16:56 PM »

This year's New Year's Day concert from the Vienna Philharmonic (on PBS) was brightened immeasurably by the presence of Italian primo ballerino Davide Dato:

George

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »

DR TCB I was thinking about you and wondering if you felt the need for oxygen.  It sounds as if you don't.  Vibes you never need it.

~~~SUPER DITTO!!~~~

George

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »

This year's New Year's Day concert from the Vienna Philharmonic (on PBS) was brightened immeasurably by the presence of Italian primo ballerino Davide Dato:

He's a cutie! ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up