Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES  (Read 20593 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES
« on: April 29, 2005, 11:58:12 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the scoop, the inside dope, the outside cretin, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which might well be directly after Mr. Haines' second vocal session.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:00:30 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:59:34 PM »

And the word of the day is: FORTUITOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 12:08:15 AM »

First non-BK post!  How fortuitous! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 12:08:28 AM »

George Michael and Art Malik.

Well someone had to go that way.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 12:13:22 AM »

I'm not an adventurous eater, so I don't think I've ever had Indian food and the only Greek food that I know that I've had is baklava.  I love baklava.  I've even made some home-made baklava.  I made baklava because I love baklava.  Did I mention that I love baklava?? ;D ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 12:17:05 AM »

Now I'm going to go to bed and dream of baklava...because I love baklava and I haven't had baklava in a long time.  Maybe I'll make some baklava! ;)

George

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »

Goodnight, all who are here!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:26:20 AM »

I don't know from Indian and Greek food either, so I can't help you there. I think I had baklava once, which, from what I understand, George loves.

I'm taking a break now from my paper because M*A*S*H is on.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 12:37:40 AM »

Good Morning!

I know it isn't Ask BK Day, but....

Why am I still up?!?!?!?

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 12:44:55 AM »

As for Greek Food...  Since my favorite restaurant in Richmond is a Greek place...

A Grecian-style Leg of Lamb can't be beat.  Rosemary, garlic - with the cloves of garlic embedded in the meat, thyme, oregano...  Then cooked slowly for hours.  Sooo good.  Of course, those lemon potatoes have to be served alongside.  Plus yanni - the Greek style green beans.  And then for dessert, galaktaburiko - custard baked in phyllo.

Otherwise, souvlaki - pork please, no "chicken souvlaki" - with lots of tzatziki on the side.  An authentic gyro can't be beat either.

There is a traditional stewed lamb shank - lots of red wine - that is perfect comfort food when the cold weather sets it.

And then there's all those "-itas": spanakopita (spinach), tiropita (cheese), then the ones stuff with ground beef, or zucchini or eggplant.

Of course, to start one's meal, one must have saganaki flamed at your table.

OPA!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 12:51:51 AM »

As for Indian...

Almost any curry... chicken, lamb, beef, goat, eggplant, okra, etc., etc., etc.  Mild to spicy, tomato or cream/yogurt based.

Palaak Paneer - spinach and cheese; mataar paneer - spinach; butter chicken; chicken tikka masala; chicken or lamb vindaloo - but only if it has flavor in addition to the sweat-inducing heat/spice; tandoori lamb, beef, chicken; dosas - those big Indian pancakes/crepes; and the breads, of course! puri, naan, garlic naan, etc., etc., etc.; samosas - vegetarian or lamb and vegetables; pakora - the spinach fritters...

Etc, etc., etc...

And I like those almost sickeningly sweet Indian desserts too: kulfi, halwah, gulab jamaan, kheer, , etc., etc., etc....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 12:54:51 AM »

OK - I MUST hie myself into bed...

Here we go...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 12:58:48 AM »

And seriously - Jose's suggestions re Greek and Indian food are great.  Love them all. Greek lamb is wonderful. (not too sure about goat though!).
Ideal would be New Zealand lamb cooked Greek style with garlic mashed potatoes. Lamb shanks are quite possibly my favourite "comfort food".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 01:39:28 AM »

I just want everyone to know that it is possible to include F. Scott Fitzgerald in a paper about classical Greek and Roman pastoral poetry by Theocritus and Virgil. For some reason, this amuses me.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Michael

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 04:22:35 AM »

Not into Indian. The food is too spicey for me.
However I do enjoy Greek. Souvlaki and salad are my favorite. Unfortunaly I only found one good Greek in South Florida. A very nice one in Fort Lauderdale on A1A, but its over 30 minutes away from where I live and that makes it inconvenient to eat there. Montreal has a wonderful Greek population and many wonderful Greek restaurants. Even the "fast food" versions are good.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 04:26:07 AM »

Well I am going to have to start a Kritzerland Records page on www.brucekimmel.com this weekend and new Guy Haines album.

BUT...............

I have to go to work today and earn some extra $$$$. We are implimenting a new computer system at work soon and I have to learn how to use it.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 05:00:57 AM »

I love gyros AND baclava - so both of my favorites have already been mentioned.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......

Indian food is TOO spicy and TOO rice-y for me.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 06:12:05 AM »

Last night, DR Jose wrote:  "DR MattH - As for Avenue Q "charming" the Tony voters... Well, it's not like the other shows didn't do their own bit of self-promotion last season.  Or any season for that matter.  I was fortunate to see all the Tony-nominated shows last season, and IMHO I thought Avenue Q was the Best Musical.  Yes, it may not have been as big and flashy as Wicked, but it had heart.  And it still has.  I did and do love Wicked, but I was grinning from ear to ear when they read who the winner was."

And I quite agree with you, Jose. I saw AVENUE Q and WICKED within two days of each other last summer, and while I thought both shows were marvelous, entertaining, and worth every cent I paid for tickets, if *I* had been a Tony voter (and purely on the basis of each show's impact on me regardless of any advertising slogans or promos), I would have voted for AVENUE Q as Best Musical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 06:33:45 AM »

I have yet to try a Greek dish that I haven't liked...stuffed grape leaves are quite tasty and that spinach thing that DR Jose mentioned is wonderful!

I have only tried Indian food once, and I just ordered my meal blind...so I don't know what I was even eating...but it was good...spicy, but good. I don't normally do spicy food, but this I enjoyed.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 07:05:09 AM »

Not a fan of Greek or Indian food either, though the aforementioned gyros and baklava certainly have made my gastric juices tingle. Never had any interest in spicy Indian food.

We have each year in CHarlotte a Greek Festival downtown with lots of food vendors and outdoor acts aplenty. Unfortunately, it always seems that I'm in the midst of a show during the festival and never seem able to attend. Friends who go always come back raving about some new dish they've had, but one of these days I'll be able to go and then I shall have more to contribute to the topic.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 07:06:32 AM »

I recorded GUNGA DIN off TCM this morning. I have never gotten around to getting the recently released DVD of it, so I'm looking forward to seeing it at some point this weekend (which will only be my second viewing of it after many, many years away from it).

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 07:07:38 AM »

First up, however, will definitely be BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO. I got up early this morning so I could get morning chores done and out of the way (kitchen floor gets mopped once a week) so I could begin my DVD marathon early.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 07:28:20 AM »

"All alone, I'm so all alone. . . . "

Danise

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 08:23:03 AM »

Morning all!

I hope legs were broken and both of our stars had a wonderful opening night.   :)

Did anyone watch the last JAG?  I cried.  I remember that show from the first movie and was very sorry to see it go.  At least they left it open for a movie down the road.

I've been puttering around the house this morning.  

Remember that singing software, VixMom.  I bought it last week  but never had the chance to try it.  I messed with it a bit this morning.  Here is a screen shot that shows you your vocal range.  

It looks like it's it going to be interesting.  There are 20 vocal lessons.  I did a couple this morning but ran out of time.  

Well, I'm off to do the usual.  I have to go get dog food and mow the lawn and clean up around the place and finish the laundry, yada, yada, yada.....

Have a good day every one!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 08:31:14 AM »

Good Morning!

Oh, I'm a bit achy.  Mainly my shoulders.  But nothing some cereal, a few vitamins and a couple of Advil won't help.  *I also just put on the OCR of the Broadway Chess - just been a while since I've listened to it.  Very much a guilty pleasure.  -Guess it's sort of a warm-up for my upcoming weeks with Mamma Mia! - again.

:)

I'm not sure where the day will take me, but I think I'll have to devote at least a good three hours to finishing up my packing sometime today.  I'll check in with Steve later to see where he's with his unpacking.

-OK - Time for some Advil.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 08:31:26 AM »

Finding rice.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 08:33:10 AM »

DR Danise - Interesting chart.  Does the program record your "before" so that you can compare it with your "after"?

Oh, and I may have missed it, but did you finally end up getting a new laptop?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 08:33:34 AM »

Listening to Judy Kuhn sing is never a guilty pleasure.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 08:35:51 AM »

Finding rice.   :P

I just did a double-take when I saw this.  I thought you had typed "Pounding rice" which is the name of a Filipino folk song about, well, what else, "pounding rice" - harvesting rice.  I remember singing and playing it when I was with Bayanihan.  -Hmmm... where is my 16-string mandolin, I wonder?  -Well, I was in the group when I was nine-years old.   So...

-Where's my Advil?

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 08:38:23 AM »

I'm not much of a Greek or Indian food fan.

However, I do like a good leg of lamb.

But last night we had venison steaks instead.

Venison steaks can be a bit on the tough side, so I gave them a whacking with the tenderizing mallet.  Then I chopped up some garlic (about six cloves!) and fresh thyme and fresh rosemary (a couple Ts each) and then smushed them all together with some olive oil, and schmeered that mixture over the steaks.  Then I grilled them over a very hot grill so they were just barely medium-rare.  Delish.  Served them with roasted beets and baked taters.  Yumm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up