Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES  (Read 20587 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2005, 08:38:58 AM »

Listening to Judy Kuhn sing is never a guilty pleasure.

:)

*I still wish there was a recorded version - somewhere, anywhere, in any format - of her singing "Anthem" - which was one of the various endings they went through on Broadway.  Quite moving...  Florence has just been betrayed by her two lovers, and two countries - including her own (USA)!  She stands all alone on stage... starts singing... "No man.. no madness.."  -And once she comes to the end of the song, she realizes that her heart has no home now... And doesn't finish the lyric...

-I thought it worked.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 08:39:47 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2005, 08:41:09 AM »

OH!!!

DR JRand - As per yesterday's notable National and State News items...

Welcome to the Club!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time being a part of Daylight Savings Time!

-Same for you, DR Joey.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE!!!

In honor of my last official weekend in Richmond...

THE VIRGINIA REEL!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2005, 08:43:25 AM »

Alton Brown recently had an episode about gyros on Good Eats.  It re-ran just last Thursday, in fact.  My Big Fat Greek Sandwich was the title.  All and all, it seemed like a lot of work, but interesting.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2005, 08:47:11 AM »

Due to inflation, today's word will be SEVENTUITIOUS!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2005, 08:49:05 AM »

And dear Jose, with all the boxing you've been doing lately, I hope you've been protecting your hands by wearing gloves.

Get it?  Boxing?  Gloves?

*sigh*

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2005, 08:52:22 AM »

As for Indian food being spicy... Well, there's spicy - lots of various spices and herbs in the mix - as well as spicy-hot - with some additional heat from chiles.  There is plenty of "mild" Indian food out there.  Actually, most of the grilled and tandoori items are not that spicy since the spice would tend to burn under such high and direct heat.  Tandoori chicken or lamb is a great place to start.  The meat is usually marinated in yogurt with some spices, but it's usually not spicy-hot.  And since it's grilled, and not cooking in butter (ghee) and yogurt all day, it's also quite healthy.  Add some bread - naan or puri - and a small salad (lettuce, tomato, onion), and you've got one tasty meal.

*And I will admit that there have been times when I've had some truly authentic Indian food - the curries - where they've left my stomach a little uneasy afterwards.  It's not that they were necessarily spicy-hot, just that the mixture of spices were totally new to my bed.  Oh, and possibly the richness from the ghee and/or yogurt could have had something to do with that too.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2005, 08:55:56 AM »

BECAUSE WE MUST HAVE TRIVIA...

On this day, in 1904, the Louisiana Purchase Exposition opened.  Better known as the St. Louis World's Fair, the exposition was later included in the story of the film Meet Me In St. Louis.  This was the fair, by the way, where the ice cream cone was invented, and where iced tea and hot dogs were made popular.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2005, 08:57:49 AM »

Alton Brown recently had an episode about gyros on Good Eats.  It re-ran just last Thursday, in fact.  My Big Fat Greek Sandwich was the title.  All and all, it seemed like a lot of work, but interesting.

That was a fun episode.  And one of the very few where after watching it, I decided that going the Take Out route would still be the way to go.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2005, 09:01:10 AM »

FORTUITOUS!!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2005, 09:05:21 AM »

Still finding rice.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2005, 09:13:20 AM »

..I had forgotten just how much I love listening to this recording.  I wish there was more Marcia Mitzman and Jonathan Dukochitz (swoon ;)).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2005, 09:20:51 AM »

OK... I'm outta here...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »

I just found this at another site.

WHAT'S YOUR (SOUTHERN) SIGN?

Some Southerners are pretty skeptical of horoscopes and the people that read them. If we are to ever fully understand all the star signs and the people they represent, we need symbols that all true Southerners understand....

OKRA: (Dec 22 - Jan 20) Are tough on the outside but tender on the inside.  Okras have tremendous influence. An older Okra can look back over his life and see the seeds of his influence everywhere. You can do something good each day if you try.

CHITLIN: (Jan 21 - Feb 19) Chitlins come from humble backgrounds.  A Chitlin, however, will make something of himself if he is motivated and has lots of seasoning. In dealing with Chitlins, be careful; they may surprise you.  They can erupt like Vesuvius. Chitlins are best with Catfish and Okra.

BOLL WEEVIL: (Feb 20 - March 20) You have an overwhelming curiosity. You're unsatisfied with the surface of things, and you feel the need to bore deep into the interior of everything. Needless to say, you are very intense and driven as if you had some inner hunger. You love to stay busy and tend to work too much.  Nobody in their right mind is going to marry you, so don't worry about it.

MOON PIE: (March 21 - April 20) You're the type that spends a lot of time on the front porch. A cinch to recognize the physical appearance of Moon Pies.  Big and round are the key words here. You should marry anybody who you can get remotely interested in the idea. It's not going to be easy. You always have a big smile and are happy.  This might be the year to think about aerobics....Maybe not.

POSSUM: (April 21 - May 21) When confronted with life's difficulties, possums have a marked tendency to withdraw and develop a don't-bother-me-about-it attitude.  Sometimes you become so withdrawn, people actually think you're dead.  This strategy is probably not psychologically healthy but seems to work for you.  You are a rare breed. Most folks love to watch you work and play. You are a night person and mind your own business.

CRAWFSH: (May 22 - June 21) Crawfish is a water sign. If you work in an office, you're hanging around the water cooler.  Crawfish prefer the beach to the mountains, the pool to the golf course, and the bathtub to the living room.  You tend not to be particularly attractive physically, but you have very, very good heads.

COLLARDS: (June 22 - July 23) Collards have a genius for communication. They love to get in "the melting pot" of life and share their essence with the essence of those around them. Collards make good social workers, psychologists, and baseball managers. As far as your personal life goes, if you are collards, stay away from Crawfish. It just won't work.  Save yourself a lot of heartache.

CATFISH: (July 24 - Aug 23) Catfish are traditionalists in matters of the heart, although one's whiskers may cause problems for loved ones.  You Catfish are never easy people to understand. You run fast. You work and play hard. Even though you prefer the muddy bottoms to the clear surface of life, you are liked by most. Above all else, Catfish should stay away from Moon Pies.

GRITS: (Aug 24 - Sept 23) Your highest aim is to be with others like yourself.  You like to huddle together with a big crowd of other Grits. You love to travel though, so maybe you should think about joining a club.  Where do you like to go?  Anywhere they have cheese, gravy, bacon, butter, or eggs and a good time.  If you can go somewhere where they have all these things, that serves you well.  You are pure in heart.

BOILED PEANUTS: (Sept 24 - Oct 23) You have a passionate desire to help your fellow man.  Unfortunately, those who know you best, your friends and loved ones, may find that your personality is much too salty, and their criticism will affect you deeply because you are really much softer than you appear.  You should go right ahead and marry anybody you want to because in a certain way, yours is a charmed life. On the road of life, you can be sure that people will always pull over and stop for you.  Boiled peanuts and Catfish ...what a delicacy!

BUTTER BEAN: (Oct 24 - Nov 22) Always invite a Butter Bean to a party because Butter Beans get along well with everybody. You, as a Butter Bean, should be proud.  You've grown on the vine of life, and you feel at home no matter what the setting.  You can sit next to anybody. However, you should find happiness with a Moon Pie.

ARMADILLO: (Nov 23 - Dec 21) You have a tendency to develop a tough exterior, but you are actually quite gentle and kind inside. For you a good evening would be old friends, a fire, some roots, fruit, worms and insects. You are a throwback. You're not concerned with today's fashions and trends. You're not concerned with anything about today.  You're almost prehistoric in your interests and behavior patterns. You probably want to marry another Armadillo, but a Possum is another somewhat kinky mating possibility.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2005, 09:36:27 AM »

I'm back... just for a sec...

I just put in Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" CD...

;D

NOW I'm awake!

--Ooh.. Maybe I'll put in the Dance Mix album "Shut Up and Dance" later on..

-Yes, I own all of Paula's CDs... well, three of them... "Spellbound" is the other one.  Was there another one?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2005, 09:45:07 AM »

Hi, Larry!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2005, 09:45:21 AM »

Bye, Larry!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2005, 09:55:05 AM »

Hi, Larry!

Hello, DRJose!  This has been a difficult morning:  I had to call in sick from B&N  because the problems my surgery in two weeks should heal erupted violently this morning.  That was no fun.  

Then, I had to run down to Tekserve for a new keyboard, since I wiped mine out last night by spilling some ginger ale on it, rendering me incapable of bidding on a 1931 BABES IN TOYLAND program from the Imperial Theatre and a 1959 CANDIDE program from London with Denis Quilley and Mary Costa.  This has been the biggest tragedy involving a carbonated beverage since Laetitia Prism had a temperance beverage explode in her handbag.

I'm listening to the new cast album of SPAMALOT, which is outrageously funny and very silly.

Outside of Greek pastries, I am not much of a Greek cuisine fan.  However, I love Indian food.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2005, 09:58:34 AM »

Holy Cow, I AM an armadillo!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2005, 10:04:05 AM »

Oops, I overslept.  I must now hie myself to the horn session as I am LATE.

Danise

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2005, 10:04:06 AM »

Hi again.  Back from the doggies walk.  We passed a house that is having a new roof put on and the guy is using the nail gun.  Bear remembered that on the way back home and started pulling me down the street as soon as we came close to it.  **chuckle**

I’m sitting for a spell before I go do the shopping.  It’s kinda hot today so I will mow the grass in the cool of the evening.  

I’m trying to go back and read some of the things I’ve missed.  I’m so sorry I’ve been out of it.  It seems like since I’ve come back from vacation it’s been a mad house.  Hopefully, some of the issues are going to be resolved soon and I’ll be back to normal. Whatever THAT is.  

DR Jose, I’m fairly sure the program will chart my progress.  Your not allowed to go on to the next lesson until you’ve nailed the one your working on three times.

I forgot to ask DR Elmore if you checked your dream E-mails.  The more I think about it, the place I was at was where you, DR Michael and I caught my first subway train.  I wonder why I was there?  I wish I would have taken a picture of the place.  Next time I will.

I saw the story about the exploding toads.  Forgive me but what a way to croak!   Err,  die!  I know we had a rash of exploding sea gulls but that was because some people were feeding them something. I’m not going to say what—not because of anyone here but you never know who is reading the board.  I don’t want to give out any ideas.   Shame on anyone who would do such a rotten thing.  

As for the laptop.  Yes.  I broke down and bought one.  I went with a Gateway because I heard that is a very good brand.  I like the Bright Screen.  I invested in the extra power pack from Battery Geeks and have at least 5 hours of power off of AC.  That should hold me.

I also bought the wireless network box and installed it myself.  That’s despite the sales person insisting I would have someone come do it for me because it’s to complicated.   It works like a charm.  Both the lap top and the PDA are picking the signal up just fine. Oh, and the signal is encrypted (that’s the hard part the salesperson told me).  Not the unlocked version.  I set it up for the highest level of security.  So much for Sales people.  

Dear TCB, I know I haven’t asked.  How is your neck?  Much better I hope.  Mom is finely coming out of her hurt.  It’s slow going but everyday is just a bit better.  

Possum does seem to fit me, personality wise. So far, I’m a bull, dog, possum.

Gotta go to the store now.  Must have dog treats.  

Laters!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2005, 10:04:59 AM »

Oh, Larry, just read about your having problems this morning.  I'm so sorry.  Are you going to be ok until your surgery?  Maybe they should bump it up.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »

I'm very much a Possum...with a little armadillo mixed in. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2005, 10:09:02 AM »

~~~ Health Vibes for Larry!! ~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2005, 10:10:01 AM »

I think it’s outrageous to make you wait and suffer.  They should do something about the problem NOW!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2005, 10:10:38 AM »

CLOVIS, N.M. - A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school.  All over a giant burrito.

Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High.

Full Story.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2005, 10:15:24 AM »

Checking in quickly on my lunch half-hour.  This is my second consecutive Saturday to work, but then I'll have 2 in a row off.

DR elmore - sorry to hear about your physical and technological difficulties this morning.

DR Danise - your new computer sounds very fancy.

DR Jose - one of my co-workers is now planning a trip to her alma mater (Indiana University in Bloomington) for the Mamma Mia tour a year from now.  Maybe I'll tag along...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2005, 10:15:25 AM »

Best of vibes to Larry.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Danise

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2005, 10:26:07 AM »

Well, SWW, they may have thought they might have a gas explosion  Maybe they should have called in the bomb squad.   ;D

Yikes, DR Ginny, having to work on Saturday is the pits.  Nice for pocketbook, I'm sure, but the pits none the less.  

DR Ginny, it really isn't that fancy.  It's a very basic model.  I just wanted something that would get me on the net when I'm out and about.  It doesn't have a ton of hard drive space (only 40 gig) and I had to kick up the memory a bit because it was only a 256 meg but it will do what I want it to do.  

If we do meet in October, we will have access to the net for as long as we want and be able to post pictures the same day we took them.  That's one of the main reasons I wanted it. If I am going to start to take trips, I want a way to stay in touch with work and home and friends where ever I am.     :)

The PDA did connect to the net but I had to keep sliding the screen from side to side to read anything and that hurt my eyes.  

I really do have to go to the store now.  

Be well, DR Elmore!  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2005, 11:04:29 AM »

Thank you, all, for the kind wishes.  I'm fine, but the nature of the abscess damage, which the surgery will hopefully repair, is that my body continues to heal and then inner pressure blows the damned thing open again to drain!  It's totally painless, but quite messy and uncomfortable.  I deliberately held off the surgery for two reasons:
  1.  I've been living with this for the past six months
  2.  I've got some work deadlines to meet

As I said, I'm fine, but some days I have a hard time getting too far from the apartment.

On a much more pleasant note, I laughed all the way through SPAMALOT:  the recording is fantastic, it's such a funny piece of writing, and the cast seems to be in sync with the material.  My friend Larry Hochman's orchestrations are as funny as the material, and he did excellent work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up