Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES  (Read 20478 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:COUNTDOWN TO GUY HAINES
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »

I've not had a lot of  Greek food, but what I've had like.  It's usually not the more exotic dishes, but pretty basic stuff. Of course, my beloved Coney Island and Cincinnati Chili are basically Greek recipes (and most of the chili parlours are run by families of Greek descent) and I adore this stuff!

I'm quite mad for Indian food.  Tandoori, Chicken Marsala, lamb dishes, lentils, naan bread, pakoras (especially onion pakoras), samosas, papdams, chicken tikka, chicken bryiana, chicken korma (I think with most of the chicken dishes they also have lamb or a seafood variety),their various rices, and curries. Lots of oninon and garlic.  I'm not sure I've ever had a vindaloo.

The too spicy excuse is really a bit of nonsense.  As Jose says, you can get dishes from mild to very spicy. If you like Mexican, you really will probably like much of Indian...I think I prefer Indian slightly.  I think a lot of people who say they don't like Indian often really haven't tried Indian...or got a dish the first time they did, which they didn't like and so never tried it again.

One of my favourite things in London is when The Lovely Wife and I go shopping to fill up the fridge of our flat.  The local Sainsbury or Tesco have great Indian frozen or microwaveable dishes.  Yum!

elmore, good health to you, sir!

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2005, 11:14:23 AM »

Yikes, DR Ginny, having to work on Saturday is the pits.  Nice for pocketbook, I'm sure, but the pits none the less.

DR Danise - working Saturdays does nothing out of the ordinary for my bank account, because it's just part of a 40-hour week.  When I work on Saturday, I've had the previous Monday off, so when I'm on a regular schedule I have alternating 3-day weekends.  That's not so bad.  Such is the nature of having a public service position in an institution that has evening and weekend hours.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2005, 11:20:01 AM »

Today's food topic is FORTUTIOUS because DH Richard announced that at the meeting he's attending today they're serving pizza for lunch.  Since that's what I was planning for our dinner, I've decided that we'll go instead to Grecian Delight in Middletown.  It's a little place that has great gyros, Greek salad, and all those other things DR Jose mentioned that end in "...ita."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2005, 11:28:12 AM »

Of course, my beloved Coney Island and Cincinnati Chili are basically Greek recipes (and most of the chili parlours are run by families of Greek descent) and I adore this stuff!

DR Charles Pogue - I had a Skyline 4-way bean last night for dinner!

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2005, 11:57:28 AM »

I LOVE Greek food!  It is very popular here.  My favorite would probably be souvlaki.  I am addicted to tzatziki.  And i love everything on the pikilia platters (stuffed vine leaves ...).

Btw, BK when I had a sore throat the pharmacist recommended keeping my throat lubricated by sucking on a candy/lozenge ... So if you are sick of chewing gum you might try that. It makes a big difference.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2005, 12:06:40 PM »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2005, 12:08:21 PM »

Ginny,  NO BEANS FOR ME!  I don't remember when they introduced beans into the equation, but I don't remember them being an option when I was growing up.  Maybe they were and I never noticed. My 4-Way is spaghetti, chili, cheese, and onion.  None of those oyster crackers for me either.

Of course, I think no chili should have beans.  After I left Cincy, I spent agreat deal of time in Texas...and I believe in Texas-style chili for all chili...no beans, just meat!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2005, 12:16:54 PM »

I had a strange dream last night.  It was not at Manderly, though.  

It was in a theater, a very large theater.  Some company was rehearsing something that vaguely resembled the wedding scene from the Sound Of Music.  
I remember little bits of it...I remember being up in the balcony area, which seemed to also be a backstage type place, and watching Patti LuPone and Angela Lansbury argue about who was going to get to rehearsal their scene next.  I think Lansbury was winning at the time.  There was some other Broadway diva lurking around, but I can't quite remmeber who it was.  

I remember being back downstairs and I believe part of the nun's chorus.  Then I looked up to the back of the theater and saw our own DR Jose playing the opening lines to How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria on a huge organ.  
Now here's the funny part.  Somehow, through dream-magic, Jose managed to get downstairs and also play the part of the priest or bishop, or whomever was performing the ceremony.  Unlike the real SOM, this one had lines in it...dunno why.  Jose's nephew was the ring bearer, and had a few things to say for some reason.  I remember thinking how well he spoke for such a little guy.  Meanwhile, DR Jose was trying to say his own lines and also hold his young niece in his arms.  She was squirming around, plainly wanting to have nothing to do with the show...finally she broke loose and ran backstage.

The last thing I remember is a whole cloud of glitter being released from the ceiling, looking down to see myself covered with it, and thinking "Oh, DR Jed's going to be so mad when I get home...he hates glitter..."  

Bizarre, no?

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2005, 12:18:56 PM »

Ginny,  NO BEANS FOR ME!  I don't remember when they introduced beans into the equation, but I don't remember them being an option when I was growing up.  Maybe they were and I never noticed. My 4-Way is spaghetti, chili, cheese, and onion.  None of those oyster crackers for me either.

Of course, I think no chili should have beans.  After I left Cincy, I spent agreat deal of time in Texas...and I believe in Texas-style chili for all chili...no beans, just meat!

They probably introduced the beans for people like me who just can't handle the onions!

Jane

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

Quote from Matt H. regarding EYES:

He has a suavity that is very appealing. I can't believe this wonderful show is dying on the vine.

I loved that his best friend made a date with the FBI agent. I also liked that Harlan now knows who the mole in the office is.

Yes, yes and yes.  They made a cute match.  I guess now we are going to find out what the story about the brother is.  The show continues to improve.  Maybe it will catch on during the reruns.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »

Beans are healthier than meat. :)

Jane

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2005, 12:24:25 PM »

Jose-Palaak Paneer  is also one of my favorite Indian dishes.  I prefer my  naan plain.  I like just about everything vegetarian, except for the little crackers.  

Michael Shayne you can get Indian food that isn’t spicy-we do all the time.

I’m not a big fan of Greek or Mediterranean food.  Oddly we had fantastic Greek food in Budapest.  I was so shocked I kept commenting on it until Keith told me to shut up.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2005, 12:24:51 PM »

Cincinnati's Five-Way Chili, particularly as made by Skyline, is something else again.  I'm not sure it counts as Greek, really, although it is Greek influenced.  It's more Greko-American, invented by a northern Greek immigrent in 1922 (according to David Rosengarten).  

For those who cannot make their way to Cincinnati, Rosengarten's recipe is as follows:

1) In a small bowl, combine
   1 T chili powder, 2 t ground cumin, 2 t ground cinnamon, 1 t ground coriander, 1 t sweet paprika, 1/4 t cayenne, 1/4 t ground cloves, 1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg and, 1/4 t mustard seeds.  Set aside for later.

2) In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 T oil (preferably canola) over med-high heat.  Add 2 lb ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns, into small crumbles.

3) When beef is browned, add 1 finely chopped medium onion and 1 finely chopped garlic clove, along with the spice mixture, and cook for another minute.

4) Add 2 1/2 c tomato sauce, 1 1/2 c water, 1/2 c barbecue sauce (a non-smoky, sweet version works best), 2 T ketchup, 1 T brown sugar (packed), 1 T red wine vinegar, 1 square unsweentend chocolate (!!!), and a couple of bay leaves.  Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for an hour, stirring occasionally.

5) Remove bay leaves and serve "five ways":  Start with some cooked spaghetti in the bowl, topping the spaghetti with the chili.  Then sprinkle over the chili shredded cheddar cheese, finely chopped onion, and drained and warmed red kidney beans.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2005, 12:25:13 PM »

SWW I don’t think ARMADILLO captures the real me.  Well I hope I don’t appear tough on the outside.  ;D

Elmore-NO MORE ERUPTION VIBES!!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »

That was quite a dream, Dear Reader Ann. I had a dream last night that somehow involved elevators. That's all I remember about it.

DC Tumbly (alias Lloyd) and I are casually lounging on my futon. I am enjoying a breakfast of Frosted Flakes and a Cherry Coke. At some point today, I am going to write a 7-10 page paper for my Rhetoric class. I still don't know what rhetoric is.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2005, 12:30:14 PM »

Still finding rice.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »

elmore, good health to you, sir!

DRPogue, thank you kindly!  I was happy to learn last night that JUBILEE is still giving you lots of pleasure.  I adored Vivienne Martin and Denis Quilley a great deal, and Gavin Lee who plays the Prince is having a big success as Bert in MARY POPPINS.  Did you recognize the voice of Lord Windham as Col. Peacock on ARE YOU BEING SERVED?

I've been meaning to tell you as well that this Jane Austen detective series is becoming one of my faves.  I liked the Sir John Fieldings I read a lot, but I think Stephanie Barron's got a better grasp on giving me the feeling of 18th Century  writing style, which the author of PRIDE AND PRESCIENCE (the latest Jane Austen ripoff) entirely lacked.

I have to say that I love kidney beans in chili, along with lots of onions and beef, and shredded cheddar on top.  It's good by itself, or on top of hotdogs or spaghetti.

When we have our next hainsie/kimmlet visit, we'll have to go down to East Sixth(?) Street, where all the Indian restaurants are lined up:  a lot of excellent food at quite reasonable prices.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2005, 12:31:33 PM »

SWW I don’t think ARMADILLO captures the real me.  Well I hope I don’t appear tough on the outside.  ;D

Elmore-NO MORE ERUPTION VIBES!!

Call me Vesuvius!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2005, 12:41:05 PM »

And now for something completely different: the Jennifer Wilbanks case.  You know, the runaway bride everyone thought might have been kidnapped.

It strikes me that part of what is wrong here (completely ignoring Miss Wilbanks herself at this point) is that the media picked up the story, but ran it at a very shrill, panic-inducing pace.  There was no news, not really, but several of the cable "news" networks had the story as their big reporting thrust, and are still focusing on the story even now that she has returned.

What is wrong with these cable news networks?  All of that news time spent on what was really a minor story, but what was even worse was that they all had to cover it!!!  The note of panic, that if they let the story go for even an instant someone might pick up some little tidbit and scoop them...absolutely ridiculous.

End of rant.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »

Skyline is fine, I kinda lean toward Gold Star myself...though the absolute best is in Newport, Kentucky, right across the river from downtown Cincy and that is, Dixie Chili!  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2005, 01:05:48 PM »

I don't think kidney beans should go in anything!  Beans may or may not be healthier than meat, but they're not as tasty as meat!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2005, 01:09:59 PM »

There is going to be a shootout for the Best Score Tony this season, it seems.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2005, 01:14:23 PM »

Yes, JUMBO did look and sound marvelous on the DVD I watched late this morning. I followed it up with CALAMITY JANE which is the same transfer picture and sound as the previously issued DVD. (I checked; there's a rather big and noticeable artifact in the main titles that's in both DVDs.) Still, the new case is nicer, so the older one will be given to a friend.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2005, 01:14:33 PM »

I've come to be of two minds about beans in chili.  If I'm making a traditional Texas chili, I don't want beans in the mix.  On the side is fine, but not in the chili itself, and I'd rather they be black beans.  And the meat had better be cubed, not ground, the bigger chunks the better.

On the other hand, if I'm saluting the mothers of the Depression era, then adding beans is good.  Adding tomatoes is good.  Using ground beef is good.  It's a totally different dish, just using the same name as the Texas dish.

Cincinnati chili is a Depression varient, even though it was invented before the Depression.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2005, 01:15:36 PM »

I've never heard anyone sing "Beef, beef, the musical meat..."

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2005, 01:16:52 PM »

Then, I put in ASSASSINS and watched the first 20 minutes or so of it. Richard Donner has staged some crackling good suspense scenes though there are such gaps in logic that you could drive a truck through them. Still, it's a fun ride, and I'll look forward to finishing it later today.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »

Beef, beef, the musical meat
The more we slaughter, the more you'll eat
You'll eat it as steaks, you'll eat it as veal
So why not eat red meat at every meal!

::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

At last! My arms are complete again!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2005, 02:29:33 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the Apple Store at Short Pump Town Center!  My iBook came back this morning, and I just got it back!  -Well, I got it back a couple of minutes ago.  I've been taking advantage of the wireless highspeed to download some updates and such.

I really am very happy, and the Apple Care program has really earned a customer for life.  I guess it is true what they say:  One you go Mac, you never go back!

-Remember the rule!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2005, 02:31:34 PM »

DR Ann - Great dream!  The funny thing is when I did Brigadoon in high school, I was in the cast and in the orchestra!  I put a lot of mileage on my kilt running up and down those stairs!  And I did the Sword Dance too!

-And, yes, John Michael is very well-spoken for a boy of his age.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up