Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A HODGE-PODGE OF VARIOUS AND SUNDRIED THOUGHTS  (Read 25928 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A HODGE-PODGE OF VARIOUS AND SUNDRIED THOUGHTS
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »

A tunestack that would include both "Stupid Cupid" and "Havah Nagilah" would be an interesting one.

Ain't it the truth, DtM.  8)

And don't forget "Lipstick on Your Collar" and "Who's Sorry Now" and "Vacation" and "Lookin' for Love."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2005, 11:59:14 AM »

Connie Francis Page Five.....moving on....   8)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 11:59:37 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2005, 12:01:46 PM »

I was not a science or math guy.  I took only as much as I had to in high school.  Geometry I got through by the skin of my teeth.  Algebra...especially when it got into all that sine and co-sines crap, nearly cost me my honour role status.  I got a "D" on the final , but eked out a "C" for the semester.

In college, I took only the minimal requirements for science...and mercifully, no math.

Sorry to hear about Frank Gorshin.  My introduction to him was as a talented impressionist on Ed Sullivan.  He still did the best Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas of anyone.  I'm surprised he was only seventy-two.  Having seen him at one or two of the Ray Court shows, he looked a lot older.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 12:35:15 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2005, 12:05:05 PM »

The way I did it, it was known as Albegra, too, DRCP.  We must have had the same teacher.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2005, 12:07:47 PM »

Jose, this is a reminder for you to share the story of the Drunk Ass Gay Boy Giving Advice and Commentary to the Drunk Ass Straight Boy Last Night On the Subway. ;D

Thank you, DR George!

:)

It was just one of those instances where once I caught a whiff of their conversation, I just had to keep "whiffing" so to speak.

When I reached the lower platform of the Metro Center station, I noticed quite an unlikely pair coming down the escalators.  They were obviously a little inebriated, but they were also doing their best to seem non-inebriated - especially since one could be NOT allowed on the Metro if one is inebriated.  In any case...

One of the "boys" was dressed in one of those ever so fashionable t-shirts - the one with some vintage looking logo on it - and a pair of fashionably distressed jeans.  He also had a shaved head, and a bunch of prominent tatoos on his forearms which were "preceeded" by a pair of prominent biceps.  ;)  The other "boy" was dressed a little more "formally" - white, long-sleeve shirt, khaki pants, loafers.  His long hair was in a pony-tail, and he was not so "physically blessed" as his companion.

So, the first thing I hear is...

"See, you're not so musclebound, but you really know which clothes to wear to show off your physique quite favorably."

"Oh, thank you.  So, you think gay guys would find me attractive."

"Oh, most definitely.  And you're also have a good personality too."

**Keep in mind, that both of these "gentleman" were most likely just past the legal drinking age.  Or they had good fake IDs.

"Well, thanks for your honesty.  I've never really met a gay person before, and I always thought I would feel weird or threatened by them, but I'm not feeling that way about you."

"Well, I like you too.  You do seem like you could be a tough guy, but you're rather pretty normal and easygoing."

-Then the Orange Line Train came into the station.  We all got on.  They grabbed a set of seats at the end of the car.  I grabbed a seat a few seats down from them.  Just enough to be in earshot.

;)

"So, did you read that story that just came out about gay men, straight men and pheremones?"

"Oh, no.  Was it about sex?"

"Yes, and how gay men react differently to sweat. How it's similar to how women react to a man's sweat.  To his scent...."

He goes on to "quote" various facts and figures from the article.  I guess.

Then a woman boards the train at the next statio, and takes the seat behind them.

"OH, Hi!  Nice to see a smiling face board the train."

"Thank you.  I just finally was able to leave work, and I'm heading to see my sister."

"Cool.  My name is... "  (I couldn't make out his name.)

"Nice to meet you too.  I'm...." (I couldn't make out here name either.

Well, this is where the muscle-bound, Drunk Ass Straight Boy turns around to talk to the woman, so I lost of a lot of the conversation.  However, I could see the very amazed and humorous look in the lady's eyes as she was talking with them.

"Hey, well, you should hang out with us.  We're going to.."  ???

"Oh, that would be very nice."

"Yeah, we're heading to...???  If you like we can call you later."

"Oh, that would be nice, but right now I'm on my sister's cell phone, and I'm only using it when I need to.  I don't want to run up her phone."

"Well, we can call you then?  Do you have a pen and paper?"

"No....Well, tell you what... Let me put your number in my sister's cell phone now, and then I can call you once I get home."

"OK.  That would be very cool."

When we arrived at East Falls Church, the lady deboarded.

When we got to Dunn Loring, I deboarded, as did the two Boys.

"Oh, we should have got off at West Falls Church - the stop before."

"Oh.. There's no sign saying a train is coming..."

We all head up to the upper platform.  I place my pass in the turnstile, and start to leave.

"Excuse me, sir.  Did we miss the last train back to West Falls Church."

"Yes, the last train left 15 minutes ago."

-It's was just past midnight at this time.

"Oh... well, I guess we can take a taxi... Is there a bus?..."

At this point, I just continued walking and let them deal with the Metro officer.  But, I have to say I was very tempted to offer them a ride back to West Falls Church.  A truly fascinating social observation and entertainment wrapped into one!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2005, 12:08:58 PM »

And that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2005, 12:11:09 PM »

...I have a hidden track in mind, but we haven't recorded it yet.  We'll see if we have time.  I'd meant to do one on the original Guy Haines album, but it didn't work out, time-wise.  
Vinnie sings?   :o :o :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2005, 12:11:13 PM »

Science Fair Projects:

7th Grade - The Space Shuttle and Space Exploration
8th Grade - Stars and the Origins of Constellations
9th Grade - Rocket Fuel

I made it to the regionals during the 7th and 8th Grade.  And that was mainly copying information out of a few books!  ;)  After that... Well, my "science" became music.  Although, I did like math class.  It was Calculus in college that nearly ruined my academic career.  UGH!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 12:11:55 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »

Sad news about Frank Gorshin.  Wasn't he still touring "Goodnight, Gracie"?  -Sorry, just haven't had the time to read the obits.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2005, 12:14:11 PM »

OK - I need to get ready to head out again... Back after tonight's show.  OH!  And the reception tonight is being held a Red Sage.  And since we don't have rehearsal tomorrow at 10:00AM - or at all...  Can you say, "Mojito"?

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »

Dear DR Jrand, I'm not sure about episodes of shows that I particularly dislike, since I'm not that fanatical about my television watching (with the exception of Good Eats, of course).

However, I have noticed a peculiar phenomenon.  There have been occasions when I have, for whatever reason, only seen one episode of a series in first run.  Whenever I happen to tune in to that series again, in repeats, more often than not it will be the exact same episode!  I kid you not!

I mean, deja vu is creepy enough in real life!   :o

Oh...

For me it's "Seinfeld" - The "shrinkage" episode, and/or the IQ test one.

For "Friends" - Rachel and Ross break up.  ;)  Well, actually, the one with "Copacabana".  I've seen that one many times.  However, it holds up rather well.

OK... Now I HAVE to go!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »

DR JOSE don't forget to tell Tonya that we think she is BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL!!

Great story...they are probably still on the platform, or waiting by the telephone.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »

Dear Everybody,

What was your Junior High school science fair project? Was it something creative, or was it one of those boring volcanoes?
Back when I was in Junior High School, science hadn't been invented yet.

We had a few teachers who ran around spouting Nostradamus, but no one really paid much attention to them.

On the other hand, basketweaving was actually considered a practical skill back then.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2005, 12:32:54 PM »

Some exciting DVD news:

The Thin Man series collection releases on Aug. 2nd. Along with all of the Thin Man films it will have the pilot to the TV show, radio shows, cartoons, etc.

Astaire/Rogers collection releases Aug. 16th:
TOP HAT, SWING TIME, FOLLOW THE FLEET, SHALL WE DANCE, and BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY are on this first set.

And the film everyone is waiting for (well, I am waiting for) THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES starring Samson Burke releases on June 28th! Woohoo!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2005, 12:35:53 PM »

BURBANK, Calif. - Actor Frank Gorshin, the impressionist with 100 faces best known for his Emmy-nominated role as The Riddler on the old "Batman" television series, has died. He was 72."

<SNIP>

In 2002, Gorshin portrayed George Burns on Broadway in the one-man show
"Say Goodnight Gracie." He used only a little makeup and no prosthetics.

"I don't know how to explain it. It just comes," he said. "I wish I could say, 'This is step A, B and C.' But I can't do that. I do it, you know. The ironic thing is I've done impressions all my life — I never did George Burns...."

I saw him perform "Say Goodnight Gracie" a few months ago, here in Olympia.  I thought that he was wonderful in it.  It's sad knowing that I saw him live (no pun intended) just a couple of months ago.  Gregory Hines had just performed here in Olympia at the very same theater just a few months before he died!  Coincidence??  Let's hope so! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2005, 12:36:39 PM »

JRand, dsylexia strikes again!  I kept looking and looking at that and knew it wasn't right.  duhhh!  I went back and changed it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2005, 12:40:42 PM »

Marc Cherry, the creator and producer of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, is a huge musical theater fan. Every episode of the show carries the title of a famous song from a musical. He's partial to Sondheim, but the other staff writers insisted that other composers' songs be used in the titles, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2005, 12:46:46 PM »

Boy, HOUSE was a fantastic episode last night full of major twists, and then to find out the drug addict was actually House! Wow! Great to get the backstory on his breakup with Sela Ward, a wonderful actress, BTW.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2005, 12:47:21 PM »

Algebra, algreba... whatever you call it, it was the bane of my existence. I always  understood about the first two weeks really well...

Science project, I made a magnet with a 12volt battery. It was boring. I cut a photo right out of a Funk & Wagnall's encyclopedia to use on the poster. We got a white ribbon which meant, "thanks for participating."

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:01 PM »

My houseguest should be arriving in a few minutes, so let me get other surfing out of the way, and I'll check back in later.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:13 PM »

DICK VAN DYKE SHOW- Any show with too much Little Richie was a bad thing.

MASH-Any show with too much Klinger was a bad thing.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:58 PM »

Oh, and so sorry to read that about Frank Gorshin. Always enjoyed him whether he was doing impressions or simply acting as a character in a film or TV show. Sorry I never got to see GOOD NIGHT, GRACIE.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2005, 12:51:28 PM »

I always thought a good show could be made with the songs of Gilbert O'Sullivan, but apparently he tried it and it didn't go over too well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2005, 12:56:12 PM »

Marc Cherry, the creator and producer of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, is a huge musical theater fan. Every episode of the show carries the title of a famous song from a musical. He's partial to Sondheim, but the other staff writers insisted that other composers' songs be used in the titles, too.

Where in the world do you find the title of each show?

I know they name them...but I never know what the name is until a season shows up on video, or one of them gets nominated for Emmys.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »

Have we mentioned Frank Gorshin in Jimmy?  I guess it wouldn't be much of a tribute to do so.  I know I've listened to the cast recording, but I can't recall one single note of music or lyric (though I'm sure there was a C# and a "Jimmy" in there somewhere.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »

In my senior year I was sent to the National Science Fair in Seattle, but it was part of the World's Fair that year (the year they built the monorail and the Space Needle), and we got sort of lost in all the hoopla.

I did win a prize there, from the US Navy.  They sent a lot of Science Fair winners for a week at the Naval Base in San Diego (it was supposed to be a week on an aircraft carrier, but none was a vailable), with lots of cool tours of military things, a nuclear submarine, and ... stuff.
Yeah, I've heard all sorts of stories about that Naval base "stuff".

8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2005, 01:20:41 PM »

Yup DtM - JIMMY was another Anita Gillette Broadway blockbuster.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2005, 01:21:21 PM »

Oh, and Mary Tyler Moore shows that concentrated on Murray....bleh!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »

WFO you were at the Seattle Fair when Elvis was making his movie titled....of course....IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR.  Are you in the movie or did E and Kurt Russell hog it all?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up