Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A HODGE-PODGE OF VARIOUS AND SUNDRIED THOUGHTS  (Read 25769 times)

Ben

Re:A HODGE-PODGE OF VARIOUS AND SUNDRIED THOUGHTS
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2005, 09:09:49 AM »

Some Off-Broadway shows play on Sunday evening but very few Broadway shows play Sunday evening, in fact, Little Women's last show is the 3pm Sunday matinee.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2005, 09:10:37 AM »

My favorite TV series (or one of them anyway) is M*A*S*H, but I really do not like the episode called "Hanky Panky." I just turn the TV off when that one starts up.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2005, 09:10:52 AM »

I didn't do a Junior High Science Fair project. I never did any Science Fair project. I was a Drama Nerd, not a Science Nerd.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 09:11:06 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2005, 09:11:31 AM »

Little Women has been playing weekly to 42% of capacity and their average ticket price is quite low.  Today's producers refuse to close shows - they have no fiscal responsibility, just a ton of ego.  So, either they finally realized that the correct business decision was to close, or the theater invoked the clause which allows them to boot a show out if it is playing consistently below a certain percentage.  I think in its entire run, Little Women had one break-even week.  I'm not commenting on the quality of the show, as I've neither seen it nor heard its score - I'm just commenting on reality and the fact it hasn't and won't find its audience.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2005, 09:13:13 AM »

And I do hope no one thought I was being overly harsh about Hercules - I found much of hours two and three enjoyable, but I know it's not what it could or should have been, and THAT annoys me large - both on behalf of Pogue, the writer, who deserved better, and me, the viewer, who deserved better.  I'm sure the DVD will put right some of the wrongs, but it won't change who directed it, and it won't change some of the cast.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2005, 09:15:15 AM »

Of course, you know which song I think should be the hidden song on the Guy Haines CD.

I think the songs of Connie Francis could be made into a nice evening of a musical!

BOOKWORM I went there last night, but got out quickly.  Yes DRJOSE, we must hear the overheard advice.  It might be just what someone here needs to get on with his life.

And as for only catching the one show we've seen on a repeat....I think it's a rule!

I miss THE AMAZING RACE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2005, 09:18:07 AM »

OLIVER!????

COTC - I just wrote the story for the production opening at the Playhouse on June 2!  So many names, so many names....why do directors cast EVERY KID who auditions?  I know, I know, to sell tickets.  But the stage is only so big!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2005, 09:22:03 AM »

Glad you are enjoying Miss Linda Darnell and Miss Allison Hayes in their television escapade.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Miss Farmer - however you must remember that she had just spent many years in a state institution and another five or so hiding in obscurity in Eureka, California - mostly drinking vodka and typing names on graduation photos.  The last time she had appeared before the public as a performer had been in 1942 - 15 years before - and television wasn't a household appliance....now here she is....on the Ed Sullivan Show in front of millions of people - GO!  For all that....I give her props and huzzahs....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2005, 09:29:08 AM »

Frances sings "Aura Lee" on The Ed Sullivan Show in June, 1957, and can't wait to get out of there and get a drink!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2005, 09:35:06 AM »

Yup DRMATTH - that's what makes horse racing...YOU CAN HAVE MR STERLING HOLLOWAY...LOL.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2005, 09:55:45 AM »

Dear Everybody,

What was your Junior High school science fair project? Was it something creative, or was it one of those boring volcanoes?

Personally I tried to avoid science as much as possible when I was in school...the only project I can recall was making crystals in a glass jar....mine was none to successful as  I recollect.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2005, 09:58:50 AM »

DR SANDRA - my Jr High 8th Grade Science Project was on Heredity!  I cut pictures of grown-ups and children out of magazines like the Saturday Evening Post and created a family tree of two sets of grandparents, a husband and wife, and a child, and showed dominant and recessant genes.  I got an A!

And by a strange coincidence - two of my younger brothers and one of my  younger sisters did the SAME project when THEY were in the 8th grade.  They also got A's!

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2005, 10:01:56 AM »

LOL, Jrand54, I am having Amazing Race withdrawls too...now that TAR and Survivor are over, the only show I watch all week is Desperate Housewives...good think I bought that DVD of 30 Lucy Show episodes.

And I feel about Ray Walston, the way that JRand feels about Mr. Hollaway! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2005, 10:06:04 AM »

DR MattH, I for one am very sad about Amy.  But the worst part to me is not giving the show a proper ending.  I mean if you're going to cancel a long running show, then have the decency to tell the cast/writers in advance so that they can end the show properly.  To me the worst part is that the station waits to the last minute to cancel some of these shows.

For instance there was an article yesterday saying that either Judging Amy or Joan of Arcadia would probably stay.  yet today we find out they both got the axe.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2005, 10:06:26 AM »

Elmore I have so pleased to find you posting today, and that you enjoyed the photos of Bogie.

Ron and elmore I’m very jealous Vicodin has such a positive effect on you both.  I have only taken it once and my experience of sitting with my head over the toilet for four hours discouraged me from ever taking it again.  Craig & my sister were also very sick from it.  

The rain has eased up a bit so I’m either going for a walk or on errands.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2005, 10:12:04 AM »

Sterling Holloway was rather sinister as the TV repairman in that Twilight Zone with Uncle Charlie and his wife fighting, and then seeing themselves fight on TV.

Does this mean, JRand that you also dislike Winnie the Pooh?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »

BK, I found your assessment of Hercules dead-on, but, of course, we had already discussed much of it.  I agree that while the four hours may make things clearer...there will still be directorial choices that may hamper the proceedings to where it will never be what it was intended to be.

I also agree that it got stronger in the latter half, particularly the third hour, largely due some strong women's performances...unfortunately so much is lost early on, the emotional impact of those later scenes were undercut by all the necessary build-up that they should have had.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2005, 10:21:40 AM »

Ron and elmore I’m very jealous Vicodin has such a positive effect on you both.  I have only taken it once and my experience of sitting with my head over the toilet for four hours discouraged me from ever taking it again.  Craig & my sister were also very sick from it.  

Odd, isn't it!  That's the effect morphine has on me.  When I was in the ER, they gave me morphine for pain, and it made me very ill.  Apparently, morphine is fine if they think you might be going into surgery, but not anything else.  As I was "scheduled" to go into surgery three times in one afternoon/evening, they gave me vicodin when a delay arose.  Just as the next OR window approached, I'd get a dose of morphine (vile, vile, vile).  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2005, 10:22:30 AM »

DR Jane, that is the reaction I had from vicodin the one time I had to take it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2005, 10:25:56 AM »

And I feel about Ray Walston, the way that JRand feels about Mr. Hollaway! LOL!

Oh! Me, too!  LOL!  Ray Walston never met a line he couldn't make a huge ham sandwich out of.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »

SENILITY ALERT

DR Pogue & al:  Well, yesterday, I was thinking Sunset Boulevard, I had a mental image of William Holden in Sunset Boulevard in my head.  I knew it was Sunset Boulevard.  I typed All About Eve.

My mind is going,... I can feel it, Dave...
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2005, 10:28:35 AM »

JRand:  Does that mean you abominate Disney's Winnie the Holloway?
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2005, 10:29:44 AM »

For those DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES fans, apparently something quite interesting will happen on next Sunday's season finale.

Don't read below if you don't want to.

Apparently someone will die.  And it sounds like it will be someone we know well.

Any guesses?  Paul Young?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2005, 10:30:18 AM »

And yes, BK you know what I think the hidden track should be.  
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2005, 10:33:18 AM »

Btw, did anybody hear about (or see) the presentation DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES did at the ABC fall tv promo party?  Mark Cherry apparently is quite the talent.  They did a production number and he sang "Beautiful Girls".  I saw a clip and it looked fantastic.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2005, 10:39:04 AM »

DR SANDRA - my Jr High 8th Grade Science Project was on Heredity!  I cut pictures of grown-ups and children out of magazines like the Saturday Evening Post and created a family tree of two sets of grandparents, a husband and wife, and a child, and showed dominant and recessant genes.  I got an A!

And by a strange coincidence - two of my younger brothers and one of my  younger sisters did the SAME project when THEY were in the 8th grade.  They also got A's!

It's interesting how that works out. I only did that once, and my brother and I both got As. It was a project on volcanoes. Not one of those cheesey baking soda things, but a poster with glitter and stuff. I turned the exact same thing in to the same teacher my brother had had just a year before. I guess she didn't remember the glittery volcano poster, or else she just gave me an A and didn't say anything.

This was the same teacher who had that little "discussion" with me about why Abraham Lincoln's face is on the penny, if you remember that. Maybe she just gave me the A so we wouldn't get into another discussion.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2005, 10:40:15 AM »

SENILITY ALERT

DR Pogue & al:  Well, yesterday, I was thinking Sunset Boulevard, I had a mental image of William Holden in Sunset Boulevard in my head.  I knew it was Sunset Boulevard.  I typed All About Eve.

My mind is going,... I can feel it, Dave...

You're not the only one!! ;)

Sterling Holloway was rather sinister as the TV repairman in that Twilight Zone with Uncle Charlie and his wife fighting, and then seeing themselves fight on TV.

Does this mean, JRand that you also dislike Winnie the Pooh?

Ohhh!  Sterling Holloway...dopey me!  All this time I was thinking of Stanley Holloway and wondering who doesn't like Eliza Dolittle's poppa?? ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 10:42:10 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2005, 10:45:41 AM »

I didn't do a Junior High Science Fair project. I never did any Science Fair project. I was a Drama Nerd, not a Science Nerd.

I was an Orchestra Nerd, so I wouldn't have touched a science fair project with a ten-foot string bean if it wasn't required. My seventh grade project was about the five senses. My eighth grade project I just plain didn't do. It was worth a big portion of my Science class grade, so I'm really not sure how I passed that year. But I did pass, so I really don't care.

I think it was the first time they'd ever had anyone not do the biggest assignment of the year, so I at least got that distinction.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2005, 10:47:11 AM »

Bruce, there is a Sunday 7:30p.m. performance of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, the wonderful new William Finn musical. It's at Circle in the Square.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »

Jane, love the kitty cat photos. Bogie has the most beautiful eyes.

DR elmore, feel better soon, and hope the Vicodin continues to alleviate the pain.

Better living through chemistry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up