Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT  (Read 12335 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OPENING NIGHT
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »

SOme of us were also away during important business today and had no computer access. Mc. Renaud's cafe in Acts 1 and 2 does not have terminals at the table.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2005, 08:13:05 PM »

Update La Cage!  Put wireless in Renaud's cafe.  

Someone on my floor is having a partay.  Perhaps they are serving Swedish Fish.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2005, 08:15:20 PM »

I am very sorry to read that about Howard Morris.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2005, 08:16:22 PM »

At least the theater paid for our dinner between afternoon and evening rehearsals. I wasn't expecting that!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »

Glad you made it DR MATTH!

Go find the party...I bet someone would want to meet John Smithee from TFNM!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2005, 08:22:14 PM »

Magick - got it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »

Silent SCARAMOUCHE is on in 30 minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2005, 08:29:34 PM »

I'm still thinking it's eight-thirty rather than eleven-thirty.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »

I'll have DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES to look forward to tomorrow. I noticed that ABC is also rerunning tonight's show next Saturday night at 10, too, in case someone forgot to set a recorder.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2005, 08:32:36 PM »

Also, I have to part company with BK on this week's two one hour ALIAS episodes. I found them exciting, moving, quite juicy dramatically with some good moments for many in the cast. Looking forward to that finale this Wednesday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2005, 08:36:01 PM »

I'm still thinking it's eight-thirty rather than eleven-thirty.

You're on that crazy Californy time.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2005, 08:36:36 PM »

I think you are both looking forward to the ALIAS finale, but for different reason.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2005, 08:37:16 PM »

MR BK what NYC landmarks can you see from your hotel room.  Take photos to post when you get home.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2005, 08:45:51 PM »

Here come the late night denizens!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »

DRJOSE are we any closer to the rag bag?  When does the Canadian tradeout happen?

You have only told me a million times.

MR BK did Mr Tom Valley say when the next SS issue would be coming out?  And are any of my reviews in it?

What do you mean you didn't mention me?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2005, 08:56:58 PM »

Time for Scaramouche!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2005, 08:58:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from both shows today... Whew!  Good audiences today which is what we all needed after a very long week.  *And, as a sort of bonus for the cast, since they had all the extra rehearsals this past week with the tour supervisors, stage management has cancelled all the day work for this week.  Instead, they'll just do little fixes an hour before the curtain.  Very nice.

-And a bunch of us are also going to the Noon matinee on Thursday of Big River at Ford's Theatre.  It's the Theatre Deaf West production. I am sooooo looking forward to it.

And now that I've had a nice soak in the tub, a hot shower, some tea (Throat Coat - way too much sinus drainage the past few days), and an apple pastry(!)....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2005, 09:00:22 PM »

DR JRand - The tour finishes here July 2, then a week in Detroit, and then they go to Canada for 12 weeks, so...

*I do know that some costume supervisors are coming in two weeks, so...

I'll keep you posted.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2005, 09:05:33 PM »

I can see the TKTS booth.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the Alias finale because it will be my finale for the show as well.  I'm glad MattH found something to like in those two one-hour episodes which they tried to tell us were a two-hour special episode.  I found nothing to like at all - just bathos, more bathos, and one ridiculous moment after another.  Again, I have never loved the show, even in its best moments, but you used to be able to count on it at least being fun and wacky and weird.  I find it all completely predictable now, and these awful new plot "twists" introduced only to be dropped instantly (think Joel Grey) have done the show in, at least from where I sit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »

Scaramouch my ASS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2005, 09:06:50 PM »

I'm going to try to stay up until one NY time, at which point I'll post the new notes.  I've got to at least get eight hours, so the latest I can go to bed to do that is 1:30.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2005, 09:08:54 PM »

DR Jrand - As for Pippin...

Musically speaking, as long as you have a kick-ass pianist and drummer, you should be fine.  It's always been a pop-rock score to me.  There's no need to "legitmize" it.

As BK mentioned, the key thing is "Magic".  And continuing on that theme, some things just happen in the piece for no rhyme or reason.  When they do, just let them happen, let them be.  As soon as you try to explain the why and how, it just bogs down the proceedings.  It's Magic.  *Remember, you can always "blame" The Leading Player.  ;)

Will you be incorporating the "new" ending that Mr. Schwartz is apparently fond of?

Be sure to check out stephenschwartz.com and themusicalschwartz.com for other assorted info.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2005, 09:11:49 PM »

Oh, and I think I've mentioned this before, but Pippin has to be one of my all-time favorite score to listen to and to play(!!!).  There was one "season" where I had ended up helping out with four productions almost back to back.  I never tired of the score.  *Although, I will admit, I do wish that they would "fix" that horrible manuscript piano/vocal/conductor's score.

**But I still crack a smile each time I start playing "Magic To Do", and instead of it saying "The Leading Player" over "Join us....", it says, "Ben".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2005, 09:19:15 PM »

Ah, Dairy Queens...

Steve used to work at one many, many, many years ago.  However, since he worked at one, he was always steering me toward some of the other options on the menu other than the Heath Bar Blizzard.  His favorite has always been the Peanut Buster Parfait.  In fact, one his jobs was crushing the peanuts by hand - and the other nuts as well.  Of course, nowadays, all the nuts come pre-crushed from the purveyors.

Occasionally, he'll get a little "attitude" from a clerk who says, "I'm sorry, but I can't make a Blizzard/Sundae/etc. with that combination of ingredients." "Yes, you can.  I know it's not on the menu, but you can make it.  And since it's still using the same amount of ice cream and three toppings, you just have to charge me the same price as a regular Blizzard/Sundae/etc."

My favorite thing to do is to ask for my Blizzard to be made with the Chocolate Soft-Serve and not the Vanilla which is the standard even for some of the more chocolate-y variations.  *But I also found out from Steve that the Chocolate Soft-Serve base is more "unstable" than the Vanilla - it goes bad faster.  So that's why some DQ locations actually don't have Chocolate Soft-Serve all the time - if at all.

*And my favorite custom Blizzard right now is Chocolate Soft-Serve (when available), chocolate cone dip, pecans and caramel.  YUMMERS!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2005, 09:22:46 PM »

Last night, to accompany our pork chops and cider-glazed carrots, I made hushpuppies.  The recipe made a whole bunch of hushpuppies, plenty for der Brucer and myself, and still with plenty left over.

This morning, when I awoke, all the hushpuppies were gone!

My hunch is that Fletcher got them down from where I'd set them, and shared with everyone else.  He's a good dog that way.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Blame it on the dog... How convenient.  Notice any crumbs this morning in DR DerBrucer's beard?  Or perchance, were you "sleepwalking" last night?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »

Ah, Dairy Queens...

Hmmm...

That's way too easy an opening...

;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:23:43 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2005, 09:28:59 PM »

Richmond still has a bunch of DQs in town, but Bruster's is also starting make it's presence known.  -And they have lots of TV commercials too.  -I have yet to try them.

There was a Ben & Jerry's in Carytown, but it closed down after less than a year.  It basically opened up across the street - well one block down and across the street - from Bev's Ice Cream which became many a Richmonder's favorite place to go for great ice cream in just a few shorts months after opening.  B&J also happened to a block up and over from another Richmond stand-by - The Little Yogurt Shop - which sells frozen yogurt and Italian Ices.  *And they're "small" is quite a generous cup, and a bargain at $1.25!  They also have some great flavors too.

I have a feeling if Ben & Jerry's had opened closer to one of the school campuses or even in a mall, it might have had a better chance of surviving.

*I also have to say the pricing in the Scoop Shops has been a deterrent for me.  For the price of ONE scoop in a scoop shop, once can head down to the grocery down the street and buy a pint!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2005, 09:30:20 PM »

PRETZEL...

Hmm...

PRETZEL...

*Just imagine that being said by Homer Simpson...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2005, 09:36:08 PM »

I took my niece to my parents' house for dinner (spaghetti and garlic bread), then we watched the first half hour of "Extreme Makeover:  Home Edition."  We left then and I watched the rest of it at home.  I went on-line at about 8:55 p.m. to check the Comcast picture of the day and the first article's synopsis in the Entertainment section was one of the big secret bits of info about "Desperate Housewives!"  How dare they give out that information BEFORE it broadcasts!  HOW RUDE!  Now I'm watching "Desperate Housewives."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2005, 09:54:32 PM »

OH!...

Just like DR Rodzinski recently did, I finally finished the Benjamin Kritzer Trilogy earlier today.

I was one of the first people to receive a copy of the book - most graciously signed by BK - last summer.  In fact, I received it right before heading out to LA to work on What If?, I believe.  I had started it a few times, but always seemed to get sidetracked for some reason or another.

Well...  I started reading it again two weeks ago, and today between shows, I finished "Kritzer Time".  And as I finished it... and wiped away a tear or two... I realized that now was the perfect time for me to read - and finish - the book.

Just as Benjamin Kritzer closes off one chapter of his life, and embarks on a new one, I'm doing the exact same thing right now.  Bringing lots of things to closure.  Settling old scores.  Letting other ones just go.  Looking back on the previous couple of years - my life back in Richmond - and seeing how it all fits together.  How all those years have led me to where I am today.  And to where I need to be, need to go next.

As Little Red says in Into the Woods, "Well, excited and scared."

And just thinking back over the past couple of weeks and months, it really is time for me to move on.  I guess the ball started rolling last summer when Edwina, my favorite waitress, anytime, anywhere, was 'retiring' due to her double-knee replacement surgery.  Then there was all that time in LA working on What If?.  New faces.  New places.  New connections.  Of course, right before What If? came into my life, there was all that crap with my alma mater and my "losing" the job I had there.

My friend, Mark, who happens to be one of the few close friends I have, is also moving out of Richmond soon.  He's got a new job, and he's heading to Pittsburgh at the end of month.  And even the other close and almost-close friends I have in Richmond we're surprised to hear that I was moving now - they had all assumed I had already left since I was never around town that much as it was.  *And while working on Jewish Thighs and staying in New York, I was already feeling like I was living there, not just staying there for a few weeks.

And then Steve finally bought a new place of his own.  He's moved onto another stage of his life too.  There will always be something special between us.  We will always be close whether I'm a mile away or 340 miles away (that's roughly the distance from Richmond to NYC).  ;)  I now know what it is like to have not only a friend, but a soulmate.  Something that is truly wonderful and special.

Thank you, BK, for a wonderful read.  A wonderful journey.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up