Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE  (Read 26189 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BACK IN THE SADDLE
« on: May 24, 2005, 08:59:26 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all there is to know about the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they'll be back in the saddle soon and makin' their way across the prairie.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 10:55:49 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BACK IN THE SADDLE
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:01:11 PM »

And the word of the day is: PLACK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 09:22:15 PM »

I see a bunch of people just sitting there like so much fish.  You've had twenty-four minutes to read the notes - get to it, baby.

PLACK!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:23:56 PM »

TOD: The Seventies.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Ah, Tuesday night shows...  'nuff said.

;)

However, our old drummer, Dave Roth, stopped by.  He took a night off from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  It's always nice seeing Dave.  And it's always nice looking at Dave.
 :P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »

DR Tomovoz - Welcome Home!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 09:28:36 PM »

DR Danise - I have looked at the music you sent.  I just can't seem to get it to print out.  My brother reset some of the setting for the network here at the house, and I can't seem to access the printer any longer.  ???  *And my personal printer is old, and doesn't have a USB connection - which is the only way I can connect to my iBook.  So...  I'll see what I can do this week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 09:34:41 PM »

Topic of the Day -

I have to say that the mid-80s were a bad fashion period for me mainly because the fashion in the mid-80s was sort of questionable to begin with.  It really wasn't bad, but it really wasn't good either.

Going to a private high school, the main fashion decisions I had to worry about on a daily basis were: shirt - white or blue?; pants - gray or blue?  I've never been that adventurous when it's come to clothes, and the few times that I have tried to be "hip"... Well, those clothes never made it out of the house after I looked at myself in the mirror.

Looking back through my baby albums and later, I'd have to say my Mom had/has very good taste in clothes.  She never dressed me and my brothers in anything too far out.  I think the fact that my Dad was in the Coast Guard may have also influenced her "conservative" clothing choices for her four boys.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 09:36:30 PM »

I have to go run an errand, but I wanted to share some marathon pictures for those who are interested. Hopefully I'll be back in a bit. http://web.bsu.edu/jjgunn/marathon.htm
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 09:38:03 PM »

BK - Glad to know that everything went smoothly in the recording studio.

Will you be trying to release the new Guy Haines CD and After the Ball on the same date?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 09:40:12 PM »

PLACK...

Hmm..

Did you mean PLAQUE?

Or possibly PLACQUE?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 09:46:49 PM »

OH!!...

And I just received an offer for a gig in New Hampshire for the months of July and August...  Two shows in rep.  And I actually like both shows.  And money-wise, the initial offer is not that bad.  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 10:30:28 PM »

I suppose it's too late to request BK bring back a piece of Joe Allen coconut cream pie...God, it was so good when they were out here.

Wasn't the 70's the worst fashion period for everyone around in those days.  It certainly was for me.  I had the bell-bottoms, the high heel shoes, the wide, long collars.  I confess to actually loving the scarves in lieu of neckties.  I never succumbed to the leisure suit even though my mother gave me a god-awful pale blue one once for my birthday.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 10:31:42 PM »

My favourite shirt of the period was a black and white shirt with pictures of movie-stars from the thirties and forties.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 10:38:35 PM »

My infamous movie shirt...that's Cary Cooper on the collar and I see Tom Mix on the sleeve.  The play was a rehearsal for Marat/Sade.  I was playing the Herald.

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 11:15:22 PM »

Thank you DR Jose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »

My infamous movie shirt...that's Cary Cooper on the collar and I see Tom Mix on the sleeve.  The play was a rehearsal for Marat/Sade.  I was playing the Herald.

DR Pogue - If you still have that shirt, you could probably get around $100 if not more for it at "vintage" clothing store.

*Of course, some of today's fashion totally bewilders me in a different sense.  Out magazine had a feature on T-shirts a couple of issues ago.  It was sort of "fascinating".  Everything from a plain Hanes crew-neck for  around $6.00 to a $30 Abercrombie & Fitch one to a plain, red Dolce & Gabanna t-shirt for $450.  $450 for a plain, red, cotton t-shirt?!?!?!?

A new location of The Denim Bar just opened up here in DC.  It's a neat premise.  The staff is trained as to proper fit, proper look, etc. for the various types of clientele that come into their store.  They measure you, then start bringing you various jeans to try on.  Different designers, different cuts, different fits.  And, apparently, the staff will also "warn" you which styles you should stay away from.  However, the average price of a pair of jeans there is supposedly around the $125 range.  Yikes!  And I had no idea that Levi's had jumped on the high-end jean bandwagon - I didn't realize they were making jeans priced over $40 now!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 11:19:12 PM »

Thank you also to Laura, Sandra and Michael. (I've jusy checked the last posts of yesterday (or earlier or whatever).

I just blame or credit morphine for everything this week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 11:19:40 PM »

I have to go run an errand, but I wanted to share some marathon pictures for those who are interested. Hopefully I'll be back in a bit. http://web.bsu.edu/jjgunn/marathon.htm

Congratulations!  Those are great pictures!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 11:21:23 PM »

TOTD.

Every day according to my sister. Any worse taste and some people here in Oz would say I was American. (The cliché tourist variety).

For those who know - today is a bad day - still not matching gloves, shoes and hat for that bag.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 11:38:30 PM »

As for the topic of the day...I've pretty much been a jeans-and-plain-shirt guy.  I never tried to be "in fashion," so I think I was spared (for the most part) any "worst" fashion period.  However, 20 years ago when I was in a barbershop chorus, the outfits that they had were ridiculous!  The suit was a blue plaid kind of fabric with sequins all around the edge of the jacket...from the bottom of the jacket edge to the lapel and around the collar.  Fortunately, I only had to wear that suit for a year.  They got tuxes after that.  I was only in the group for another year before I went away to college and never re-joined the group after I graduated.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 11:50:28 PM »

Jose, sad to say, but I wore that shirt until the collars and cuffs frayed and the elbows ripped open.  I have some vague memory of keeping it for the unusual pattern of the cloth and it wouldn't surprise me if it's battered carcass is lurking around in some box somewhere in this house, but I probably pitched it at some point.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 11:59:22 PM »

Glade to see DR TOmof OZ also BACK IN THE SADDLE!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 12:00:08 AM »

Worst Fashion????

Two Words.

HOT PANTS
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 12:00:54 AM »

And what am I doing up at this hour???
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »

In case anyone missed it: (Click on the link)

AFTER THE BALL
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 12:10:03 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 12:14:12 AM »

And speaking of "worst fashion periods"...last night, the local NBC affiliate did a news segment about a Bremerton, Washington family who bought a Bratz Babyz doll for their 3-year old.  The thing is that the doll's normal outfit includes a see-through thong!!  For the segment, they interviewed the Krause family.  The on-line article HERE (you have to register, but I've never gotten any e-mails from them) includes a video clip.  But here's part of the article.  The mother is quoted first:

"If it had full panty hose on it, it wouldn't have bothered me that much, but it was the fact they put a see-through thong on the girl that really blew my mind," said Robin Krause.

That's not a wardrobe malfunction. That's how the doll the Krauses' daughter got as a gift comes right out of the box.

The Krauses aren't the first family to complain and this isn't the first time this kind of report has been done.

But the company may be bending. "They sent me back an e-mail. They were aware of the wardrobe and were in the process of making revisions to it," said Brandon Krause. The e-mail said the company is changing the doll's underwear.

Earlier this month, the company's president told a Pittsburgh newspaper: "Unfortunately, it is the polluted mind of some adults who 'see sex' in everything. If you ask the kids - and we have - what do they think of Bratz, they will tell you they are beautiful, inspirational and multiethnic."

What the Krauses say is no one asked them - the parents. "I don't think we need sex in our children's toys," said Krause.

MGA Entertainment in its e-mail to the Krauses said it has no schedule for when the updated dolls will hit the shelves.

For those who already have a Bratz Babyz, MGA says it will send out replacement underwear to those who feel their Bratz Babyz are showing a little too much.

And people wonder why or how (in another segment in the same newscast) 14-16 year old girls are Selling Sex for Meth.  This is no joke! :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 01:34:11 AM »

PLACK! PLACQUE!

I shall now be on my way to the airport and then back to the home environment.

Jed

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 01:34:43 AM »

I spy an Aussie!  Wonderful to have you back, friend.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 02:15:05 AM »

Thank you Jed.

I've now caught up with the "Curiosity" page of June 18. A long way ahead.

Thank you to All and One and to OzDerek for the public updates. I have a vague memory of Derek visiting last Saturday. That could be a memory of a vague Derek. His visit was truly appreciated.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up