Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE  (Read 26184 times)

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
Re:BACK IN THE SADDLE
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 02:51:59 AM »

Thank you Jed.

I've now caught up with the "Curiosity" page of June 18. A long way ahead.

Thank you to All and One and to OzDerek for the public updates. I have a vague memory of Derek visiting last Saturday. That could be a memory of a vague Derek. His visit was truly appreciated.

... but tomovoz, i didn't visit!  it was the mr. bean look alike!!!!!   ;D

glad to see you are back in the land of the insane!

TOD:  when i was 13 (not THAT long ago!) i begged my mother to buy me a pair of purple cuffed jeans and some red shoed (omg - am i really saying this).  i wore them with a pyschedelic tie ... i loved them ....   :-\
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Ben

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 04:31:18 AM »

So glad to have Tom back and OzDerek and Larry. Our own Three Musketeers.

Of course, the worst fashion period for me was the 70s. I permed my hair, grew a beard and wore some of the ugliest clothes in creation. I also had a leisure suit for about 5 minutes. There was a moment in the very late 60s when I had a Nehru jacket which was popular for even less time than the leisure suit. I also had a large ugly pendant on a chain designed to be worn with the Nehru jacket in place of a tie. I was all of 16 and thought back then that it looked cool.

I have no pictures and even if I did I would require copious amounts of money before I posted them here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:31:45 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 04:33:14 AM »

I am all alone here as BK is on his way to the airport and other early morning denizens are sleeping or doing other morning things.

I am listening to the OBC of Funny Girl and Miss Streisand is singing The Music That Makes Me Dance. Wonderful.

Michael

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 04:51:36 AM »

I have no pictures and even if I did I would require copious amounts of money before I posted them here.

Let's take up a collection.

Did you look like a white (and younger) Sammy Davis Jr.?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 04:52:43 AM »

I See Larry "I'm not that Larry Moore" Moore.

Tag!

Your It!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 04:54:07 AM »

I am listening to the OBC of Funny Girl and Miss Streisand is singing The Music That Makes Me Dance. Wonderful.

They should have used that song instead of Mon Homme in the film version.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 05:06:39 AM »

They should have used that song instead of Mon Homme in the film version.

I agree!  Dropping several Jule Styne songs was ridiculous, and I loathed the SWAN LAKE parody; in 1916 or so, ballet was not so popular, and Private Schwartz sets it square in WWI.

Good morning, all!   Trying to maintain a semblence of my usual schedule while keeping up with all the post-surgery requirements has me very fatigued.  I'm quite tired today.  This morning, I have to tackle the BABES IN TOYLAND project for the first time since last Saturday, and I'm not looking forward to my downtown trek.

The 70s have it!  I was tie-dyeing everything I owned, and I had these huge clown shoes, and -worse and worse! - a liesure suit in a pale tan which I wore with a light blue shirt and a huge tie.  It was a bad period for clothing and hair, only the movies, theatre, and some of the music seem great to me now.  My hair started thinning in the late 70s, but I wore it from around 1971-1976 very long, usually in a ponytail.  What the hell were we thinking?  After seeing Phil Spector's photo yesterday, I'm so grateful that I moved on!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 05:07:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 05:20:23 AM »

I'm now listening to the OBC (almost since Martin Vidnovic is not on the recording due to illness IIRC - if I recall correctly) of A Grand Night for Singing produced by the indefatigable (indefatigable \in-dih-FAT-ih-guh-bul\, adjective: Incapable of being fatigued; not yielding to fatigue; not readily exhausted; untiring; unwearying) Bruce Kimmel

What is this, Friday???

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 05:36:53 AM »

After working late last night and sleeping in this morning, here are two things I was pleased to see in the posts:

DR Tomovoz - Welcome back!!!

BK - Congratulations on your glorious return to the recording studio!  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 05:47:50 AM »

Another 70's fashion victim here.  I wouldn't say that I went through any extended periods of dressing badly--it was mostly a mistake here and there.  During high school, I was obsessive about wearing Nik-Nik shirts.  Nik-Niks were button down dress shirts with wild patterns that were made of 100% rayon.  Their colors never faded, but they retained any odor they came in contact with and were extremely susceptible to heat.  Even though I never smoked, each shirt eventually gained a cigarette burn hole courtesy of smoking friends and strangers.

Other bad choices:  

For some reason when I was in college, every guy in New Jersey started wearing their sweatpants in winter with the legs pulled up above their calves.  I did likewise.

For a time in college, I wore a deerstalker.  I got mixed messages on this one--some people told me I looked cool, other said I looked like a loon.  But I was a budding theatre major, so I stuck with the affectation.

A near calamity:  I remember on a shopping trip with my mom to Philly seeing a pair of Robin Hood-like leather boots in a shoe store window.  I begged my mom to buy them for me.  She said no.

Unless I was wearing a suit, I pretty much went commando from my high school years up until my mid 20s.  It was more of a convienient way of cutting down on laundry than anything else.

I once had a streak of cobalt blue dyed into my hair a la Mike Score from A Flock of Seagulls.  Now that was cool!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 05:48:16 AM »

The photo I have of myself that even my husband has never seen is a church group (confirmation class) when I was about 13 or 14.  All the other girls wore pastel party dresses (which look white in the B&W photo), but I insisted that my mother make my dress out of white fabric with BIG navy blue polka dots.  Perfect illustration of the saying, "Sticking out like a sore thumb."  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2005, 06:20:48 AM »

A hearty welcome back to Tomofoz.  Feel better vibes to you (and yes, to you too, DR Elmoore.)

Yes, the 70s were a fashion catastrophe for all of us, no matter our ages at the time.  I do remember Nik-Nik shirts, in all of their qiana glory.  Yes, my brother Carl (yes, I have another brother, even though we do not speak) wore a Nehru suit, with a medallion, to  DR Jay's Bar Mitzvah (the temple service; not the reception). Yes, we wore crushed velvet tuxedoes to Carl's Bar Mitzvah reception -- WITH ruffled shirts!  Yes, we had platform shoes.  Yes, we wore double knits.

And to all of that I say....yecchh!

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2005, 07:07:39 AM »

I watched Idol last night.  Wasn't crazy about any of the performances, although i preferred the last song each sang.

It really bugged me that Simon proclaimed that "carrie you've done enough to win".  I believe that because of that she will win (although I always thought she was going to win anyhow).  I guess I want Bo to win, although I'm not crazy about either of them.

Weird how last week the judges couldn't say enough about Bo.

I would be interested to hear who each judge thinks should win.  It definitely seems like Paula prefers Bo, and Simon prefers Carrie.

I also watched Rob and Amber's wedding and I really liked it.  They spent a lot of time focusing on the preparations (which I thought were interesting).  And as a surprise Rob had a house built for her (and had his friends and family paint it and arrange the furniture he bought). It looked incredible.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2005, 07:09:25 AM »

DR Jennifer,
Did and SURVIVOR or AMAZING RACE participants attend the wedding?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2005, 07:32:04 AM »

Worst fashion period was defnitely the mid-70s. Double knit polyester pants in the wildest, most god-awful patterns were the rage, and I had several pairs of them in checks, snake prints, electric blues and greens. And it was VERY difficult to find any shoes for men that didn't have some kind of platform and high heels. A really ghastly time for men's clothes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2005, 07:34:51 AM »

I couldn't agree more. My favorite song in the FUNNY GIRL score, even more than the more famous "People" and the lilting "I Want To Be Seen With You."

Frankly, when the movie came out, I was VERY disappopinted that "My Man" was used instead of "The Music That Makes Me Dance."

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2005, 07:37:13 AM »

I dunno, after watching IDOL this morning, Carrie sounded flat in pitch to me on all of her songs, and she was clearly the more nervous of the two. I thought Bo had done enough to win, especially after the sensational songs from last week. He made all three of his songs, even that first "Long, Long Road" that none of the judges liked, palatable to me, and Carrie didn't.

Again, the lines for Bo in my section of the country were jammed all night long, and Carrie's weren't at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2005, 07:40:47 AM »

Still have a bunch of shows saved up on the DVR. I might be able to get HOUSE watched before I head off to rehearsal tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2005, 07:42:39 AM »

Just to remind bk that tonight is the last episode (for him and for the season) of ALIAS, but it comes on at 10 tonight after the two hour LOST season finale which I'm REALLY looking forward to watching. I'm not sure if I'll even bother recording IDOL since all the stuff leading up to the announcement of the winner is filler. We'll see.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2005, 07:51:09 AM »

I'm not sure if I'll even bother recording IDOL since all the stuff leading up to the announcement of the winner is filler. We'll see.

Not an issue for me.  I'll just visit the AI "Community" chat room and see the results at 7 p.m. PDT.  I've been doing it all season so I don't have to break away from anything "good" on TV.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2005, 07:54:36 AM »

I couldn't agree more. My favorite song in the FUNNY GIRL score, even more than the more famous "People" and the lilting "I Want To Be Seen With You."

Frankly, when the movie came out, I was VERY disappopinted that "My Man" was used instead of "The Music That Makes Me Dance."

As much as I like both "People" (even with its rather inane verse), AND "The Music that Makes Me Dance,"  I am going to disagree with you both.  I think "My Man" is a brilliant ending for the film, both cinematically and musically.

What does get my goat, however, is that they replaced the GLORIOUS "Who Are You Now?" with a rather sad attempt at a title song, just to get a nomination.  Granted, they got the nomination, but they lost a beautiful song in the process.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2005, 08:02:15 AM »

Barbra sang "My Man" in a more complete and touching version (though similar to the film) on MY NAME IS BARBRA, so seeing/hearing it at the end of FUNNY GIRL was anticlimactic for me. I knew JUST what she was going to do with it, and there were no surprises.

She improvised new notes for "People" in the film version, and I would have been interested to see what she would have done with "Music" four years after introducing it. She did nothing with "My Man" that she hadn't done before.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2005, 08:12:35 AM »

Barbra sang "My Man" in a more complete and touching version (though similar to the film) on MY NAME IS BARBRA, so seeing/hearing it at the end of FUNNY GIRL was anticlimactic for me. I knew JUST what she was going to do with it, and there were no surprises.

She improvised new notes for "People" in the film version, and I would have been interested to see what she would have done with "Music" four years after introducing it. She did nothing with "My Man" that she hadn't done before.

I agree with DR Stuart.  And, things she had never done with it before:

-- She brought emotional truth to the opening notes
-- She was far more dramatic in this rendition than any previous recording, and sang with more power
-- She did it in a black dress against a black backdrop to drop-dead stunning effect.

I think it one of the most magnificent, gutwrenching finales to a film I've ever seen.

But that's just me....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

-- She did it in a black dress against a black backdrop to drop-dead stunning effect.

I think it one of the most magnificent, gutwrenching finales to a film I've ever seen.

But that's just me....

Well, it's me too.   ;)

Ben

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2005, 08:27:16 AM »

Saddle Shoes (see the top of the screen-well forget that, now they are gone, I guess cause I mentioned them)! I know we're not supposed to mention certain things here, but I still have a pair of saddle shoes. I never wore them as a child nor during my "fashion challenged" periods but I do have a pair which I wear sometimes during the summer months when I put on my grey slacks (the shoes are black and white). They complement the slacks very well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 08:28:17 AM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2005, 08:32:34 AM »

I had a few paisley shirts during the 1970s when I was a kid...polyester, even! And it the 80s a lot of Bugle Boy, Ocean Pacific, Shah Safari, etc.

It wasn't pretty.

And we won't even get into what my hair looked like....especially when I went through my brief punk rock period.

In 1974 (5th grade) I did get a nifty t-shirt with the Marx Bros. on it.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2005, 08:48:36 AM »

Liked the way the finale of FUNNY GIRL was staged. Just wasn't surprised by the rendition. But it was certainly effective, and it won her an Oscar, so obviously a lot of people loved it. I liked it very much myself.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2005, 08:51:01 AM »

DR Jennifer,
Did and SURVIVOR or AMAZING RACE participants attend the wedding?

I didn't see them show any.  Although I find it hard to believe that none were there.  I had read rumors that Jonathan and victoria were there. But then i never saw any mention of that again.

The thing was it was supposed to be a secret.  And also they originally had like 500-600 friends/family that they wanted to bring.  But the wedding planner wanted around 250. So they had to cut a lot of people who they knew. So I doubt they were going to ask anyone they weren't really close to.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2005, 08:51:03 AM »

Well, I finally got my copy of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING from Amazon. I have no idea what the hold-up was, but I know what I'll be watching this weekend. (Got the new POCAHONTAS, too, several weeks after ordering.)

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2005, 08:54:27 AM »

Apparently Bo was very sick with food poisoning and had been in the hospital.  :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up