Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE  (Read 26080 times)

Jennifer

Re:BACK IN THE SADDLE
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2005, 08:58:03 AM »

I'm not sure if I will watch Idol or Lost/Alias.  I know everyone will be talking about Lost tomorrow.  And that most of the Idol show will be filler.  But I find I need to concentrate a lot more on the ABC shows!  So I guess I'll see what I feel like tonight.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2005, 08:59:06 AM »

I just checked the ratings for last night, and I was surprised to find that the Romber wedding finished second in its timeslot for both hours it was broadcast. It didn't have blockbuster ratings, didn't quite match the ratings for a regular episode of THE AMAZING RACE, for example, but it did far more respectably than I would have ever thought.

It averaged a 6.8 rating/10 share finishing well behind HOUSE at 9 p.m. and LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT at 10, but it still trumped everything else broadcast during those two hours including the last hour of THE CONTENDER and the Donald Trump made-forTV biopic on ABC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the two of them fronting reality-based shows on either CBS or some cable channels in the future with ratings like that. Obviously, there are plenty of people interested in them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2005, 09:02:36 AM »

I suppose it's too late to request BK bring back a piece of Joe Allen coconut cream pie...God, it was so good when they were out here.
It probably would have been confiscated at the airport, under the heading of "dangerous substances," never to be seen again without a security guard hovering over it armed with a fork.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2005, 09:13:11 AM »

I don't have MR BK's flight number so I can't track him.

Yes, oh yes, the 1970's - starting with bell bottoms and going through leisure suits to end with the DISCO look.  Yes, fashion was never uglier.  And we all thought we looked so nice and hip.

Whew!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2005, 09:14:17 AM »

In the movie FUNNY GIRL, which I like - but anyway, did Barbra wear her hair in the awful 1960's style on the stage?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2005, 09:15:07 AM »

PLACK! PLACQUE!

I shall now be on my way to the airport and then back to the home environment.
Did you hear the one about the dental assistant who was so proud of her placque placque?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2005, 09:29:36 AM »

Saddle Shoes (see the top of the screen-well forget that, now they are gone, I guess cause I mentioned them)! I know we're not supposed to mention certain things here, but I still have a pair of saddle shoes. I never wore them as a child nor during my "fashion challenged" periods but I do have a pair which I wear sometimes during the summer months when I put on my grey slacks (the shoes are black and white). They complement the slacks very well.

And starting next week, I can wear my white bucks.  But only until Labor Day, of course.

They look quite fetching with my seersucker pants.  And sometimes even with a pair of jeans.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2005, 09:34:03 AM »

At the risk of mortification - but in the interest of encouraging more of the same (DR CP has taken the lead, and I will follow).

I post here a photograph of me in a sedate moment from 1977.   No real excess here with the exception of the braided seam on the pants and the knit tie....and the glasses....and what was - even then - left of my hair.   :P

YOUR TURNS, DR's.  A picture is WORTH a thousand words, or more.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2005, 09:35:08 AM »

Great marathon photos, dr JOEY.  Congratulations.

I see TOMovOZ is posting!  Hurray!  

Yes, DRSTUART, seersucker is a great summer look.  It will NEVER be out of style - particularly in Florida at the buffet.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2005, 09:35:55 AM »

I agree!  Dropping several Jule Styne songs was ridiculous, and I loathed the SWAN LAKE parody; in 1916 or so, ballet was not so popular, and Private Schwartz sets it square in WWI.
That Funny Girl was released in 1968 didn't do the Private Schwartz number any favors, since that was the height of the Viet Nam war and anything resembling pro-military would have been frowned upon.  See, even back then Barbs was too politically correct for her own good!

::) :-\

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »

Yes, photos would enhance our TOD quite a lot! LOL!

Nice glasses JRand54.

I am sure I can come up with a photo of two once I get home tonight....but be afraid.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2005, 10:05:10 AM »

Here's a question:  how do you wash a dirty umbrella?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2005, 10:06:12 AM »

I, too, was a fashion disaster back in the late '70s, but for a totally different reason.

Up through college, my mother was still picking out my clothes for me.  After that, I couldn't really afford to get new clothes, so I kept wearing what I had.  I was so un-stylish that there were lesbians who wanted to take me shopping for a makeover.

No, really.  That's the sort of think you cannot make up.

Fortunately, by the time I could afford to buy my own clothes, my sense of fashion had gone off in it's own direction.  I tend to wear the same simple clothes year in year out, nothing pretentious, just classic lines.

Der Brucer, on the other hand, did succumb to the disco era clothing.  He used to own several leisure suits, with the attendant shirts and shoes.  He still had them when we met, although he wasn't so brave as to wear them any more.  They were hanging in storage bags in the garage, on the chance that they might come back in style some day.

So far, we've been lucky and they haven't.  We left them all in Long Beach when we moved, anyway.  A good thing, too; if we'd brought them with us we'd have been arrested for crimes against nature in some of the states we drove through.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME BACK TOMOVOZ[/move]

AND

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~CONTINUED HEALING VIBES~~~         [/move]                                TO

DEAR READERS

TOMOVOZ AND ELMORE3003  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2005, 10:14:21 AM »

Here's a question:  how do you wash a dirty umbrella?

go out in a really hard rainstorm or open it in the shower!!!

Yours truly

Heloise

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2005, 10:17:05 AM »

1986 Six million Americans participate in ‘Hand Across America’ by holding hands and singing across 4,150 miles of road in support of the hungry and homeless.

Believe it or not, it was just nineteen years ago today, in 1986, that "Hands Across America" was held.

Six million Americans held hands in a chain crossing the continental United States, in support of the hungry and homeless.  They sang, too.

Of course, some of that handholding was more symbolic than actual.  With 4,150 miles to cross, there were stretches where the participants were separated by several yards.  Just getting people to these sparse areas took a lot of doing (and cost a lot).  Also, in crossing the deserts, there was a problem with the heat.

I'm pretty sure any idea of making this an annual event was quickly dropped.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2005, 10:19:24 AM »

go out in a really hard rainstorm or open it in the shower!!!

Yours truly

Heloise

Okay, the shower bit might do the trick (though it might mean a spell of bad luck to open it up in the house.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2005, 10:19:46 AM »

TOD

I actually quite liked the bellbottomed look it it was done properly, you know the ones that were tight from the waist to the knee and then gradually got to the width of your foot at the hem, so you could wear them with your 5 inch heels (which would be completely covered of course and the hems must barely brush the ground!!) and make your legs look terribly long.....

Of course I remember the 70's fondly as I was still sporting a fulling funtional thyroid gland and my weight never went over 105 lbs, I had blonde hair that reached my waist and I hadn't yet succumbed to the eye issues that terminated my use of contacts

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 10:23:33 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2005, 10:21:22 AM »

Okay, the shower bit might do the trick (though it might mean a spell of bad luck to open it up in the house.)

if it's nice out you could just open it up in the back yard and hose it off

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2005, 10:22:51 AM »

1986 Six million Americans participate in ‘Hand Across America’ by holding hands and singing across 4,150 miles of road in support of the hungry and homeless.

Our son just won a $500 book scholarship for his sophomore year by writing an essay about what "Hands Across America" means to today's college students.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2005, 10:23:23 AM »

DR SWW - clothing such as you described should always be donated the local community theatre group - if it has its own building - because sooner or later someone will need them for a show!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2005, 10:24:14 AM »

Our son just won a $500 book scholarship for his sophomore year by writing an essay about what "Hands Across America" means to today's college students.

Congratulations!  ;D

Yes DRMBARNUM...photos.  

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2005, 10:24:44 AM »

WOW!!! Congratulations to DR Ginny's son!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2005, 10:32:56 AM »

if it's nice out you could just open it up in the back yard and hose it off

Just a reminder to everyone that we are talking about an umbrella here.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2005, 10:38:20 AM »

Between my coming at work at 6:30 am and now, which is 10:40 am, I have been offered several million dollars by 3 different bankers/wives/officials from third world nations and Ebay and/or paypal have warned me about various things 5 times.

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2005, 10:48:29 AM »

Between my coming at work at 6:30 am and now, which is 10:40 am, I have been offered several million dollars by 3 different bankers/wives/officials from third world nations and Ebay and/or paypal have warned me about various things 5 times.

gosh, you're popular   :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2005, 10:50:51 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I slept until 12:30 just because I could.  I probably shouldn't have, but I did.

-Just thought you would all like to know that.

;)

BUT I have read all of today's posts so far...  So....

:P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 10:51:22 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2005, 10:51:31 AM »

Love the pic, Vixmom!  The man and woman have matching pants, sorta matching (well, complementary) hair, and matching mustaches!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2005, 10:52:16 AM »

...And I'm guessing that BK is home safe and sound by now too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2005, 10:52:50 AM »

DR SWW - clothing such as you described should always be donated the local community theatre group - if it has its own building - because sooner or later someone will need them for a show!
Too late, it all got left behind over a year ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up