Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE  (Read 26241 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BACK IN THE SADDLE
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2005, 12:13:03 PM »

Back from errands.  I'm hoping to catch a few winks at some point today.  Don't know if my dinner with Miss Tammy Minoff and mother is on or not.  We shall see.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »

Have a good nap, BK.  And remember, we want to see those pics from the Joe Allen dinner!  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2005, 12:19:56 PM »

Well, I survived my trek today.  DRGinny, congrats on Rob's award.  He comes from a smart gene pool.

Dear Friend BK, welcome back on one piece!

DRRonPuliam, I like your beard as well.  Who's  the lady in the photo?

DRvixmom, people are inconsiderate audience members everywhere.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2005, 12:24:59 PM »

Our son just won a $500 book scholarship for his sophomore year by writing an essay about what "Hands Across America" means to today's college students.

Congrat to your son, DR Ginny!

Just out of curiosity, what does "Hands Across America" mean to today's college students?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2005, 12:28:09 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what does "Hands Across America" mean to today's college students?

At the time he wrote it, he was VERY stressed and decided that there were bigger problems in the world than the ones he was dealing with at that moment.

Thank you, ALL, for your congratulatory comments!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 12:28:42 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2005, 12:35:08 PM »

Nothing, they think we were all a bunch of long haired hippie freaks  ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »

Well, I survived my trek today.  
Very glad to hear it!!

DRvixmom, people are inconsiderate audience members everywhere.

Well why aren't there laws?  

I mean laws allowing us tape to duct their mouths shut, to tie them to their seats  and to insert  their cells  phones and/or video games into places where the noise will be well muffled?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2005, 12:54:30 PM »

In case you didn't already know, one of the producers of MAURICE has passed away.  :-[

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050525/ap_en_mo/obit_merchant
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2005, 01:00:21 PM »

I honestly don't think I have any pictures from those years other than the yearbook pictures made at my school that teachers were forced to have taken, and I don't think you can see much in that as they're mostly facial shots.

I didn't really take any pictures until the recent advent of digital photography.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2005, 01:03:35 PM »

A poignant HOUSE finale episode and a nice set-up for next season with Sela Ward signed for 7 episodes next season.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2005, 01:05:45 PM »

We have had the most pleasant last two days with nippy temperatures that don't get out of the low 70s during the day and a nice breeze. Sheer heaven. I wish this kind of weather would hang around for months instead of just a few days in the spring and a few weeks in the fall.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2005, 01:07:10 PM »

DRRonPuliam, I like your beard as well.  Who's  the lady in the photo?

The lady in the photo is named Cathy.  I don't recall her last name.

Odd thing:  I was in the Navy, but I was assigned (1973-75) to an Army post in northern Italy...in Vicenza, home of the great architect Andrea Palladio.  Vicenza was the network headquarters for Armed Forces Radio in Italy.  As the Navy had a strong presence in Naples and Sigonella, it provided two bodies to the radio station.  The Air Force also had two bodies there.  The Army had six.  As a single sailor "detached" from Naples, I was taken care of by the Headquarters company, which consisted of Admin types, payroll clerks, etc.  Cathy was a payroll clerk as were most of my Army friends at that time.  I hung out with them ALL the time and they were great folks to have fun with, go skiing with -- we had a lot of very inexpensive ski weekends which were hosted by Headquarters company -- $24 for 2 nights, 3 days, including breakfast/dinner and hotel room at key spots in the Italian alps (the Dolomites).

I spent Thanksgiving 1973 in London on a Headquarters company four-day jaunt -- $125 per person included airfare, first-class hotel (three nights), and breakfast.  Our hotel bordered Hyde Park (opposite side from the Albert Memorial).  We were on the side where folks set up easels, art exhibits and their soapboxes.  

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:13:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2005, 01:10:45 PM »

In case you didn't already know, one of the producers of MAURICE has passed away.  :-[

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050525/ap_en_mo/obit_merchant

And thus ends a magical chapter in moviemaking!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2005, 01:38:46 PM »

The Merchant Ivory movies from A ROOM WITH A VIEW through THE REMAINS OF THE DAY are among the greatest films made in the last thirty years.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:39:54 PM by Matt H. »

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2005, 01:45:53 PM »

The lady in the photo is named Cathy.  I don't recall her last name.

Odd thing:  I was in the Navy, but I was assigned (1973-75) to an Army post in northern Italy...in Vicenza, home of the great architect Andrea Palladio.  Vicenza was the network headquarters for Armed Forces Radio in Italy.  As the Navy had a strong presence in Naples and Sigonella, it provided two bodies to the radio station.  The Air Force also had two bodies there.  The Army had six.  As a single sailor "detached" from Naples, I was taken care of by the Headquarters company, which consisted of Admin types, payroll clerks, etc.  Cathy was a payroll clerk as were most of my Army friends at that time.  I hung out with them ALL the time and they were great folks to have fun with, go skiing with -- we had a lot of very inexpensive ski weekends which were hosted by Headquarters company -- $24 for 2 nights, 3 days, including breakfast/dinner and hotel room at key spots in the Italian alps (the Dolomites).

I spent Thanksgiving 1973 in London on a Headquarters company four-day jaunt -- $125 per person included airfare, first-class hotel (three nights), and breakfast.  Our hotel bordered Hyde Park (opposite side from the Albert Memorial).  We were on the side where folks set up easels, art exhibits and their soapboxes.  

My best friend and her husband were both in the Airforce and they were stationed in Italy during the early to mid 80's.  They told me wonderful stories about skiing in the Alps and trips to Venice, and the old farmhouse she and her husband rented and lived in.  She also took several jaunts to Germany, France and England

vixmom

« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2005, 01:48:46 PM »

I just saw this story

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Jennifer Wilbanks, the bride-to-be who staged her disappearance, was indicted Wednesday for allegedly filing a false police report claiming she had been kidnapped, charges that could mean up to six years in prison.

A grand jury indicted her on one count of making a false police report, a misdemeanor, and one count of false statement, a felony. The felony charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, said Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter. The other count carries a penalty of up to a year.

“We believe this is a reasonable next step in the case. We believe the grand jury made the right decision,” Porter said.

“At some point you just can’t lie to the police,” he added.

No settlement deal
Wilbanks’ family had been in negotiations with Porter over a possible settlement, but Porter said earlier that no agreement had been reached.

Wilbanks, 32, disappeared from her Duluth home on April 26 after claiming that she was going for a jog.

While Georgia authorities looked for her, the woman traveled to Las Vegas by bus and then to Albuquerque, N.M. There, she called authorities with a story about having been abducted and sexually assaulted.

But under questioning, she recanted and said she fled Georgia because of unspecified personal issues. She returned to Georgia on April 30, the day she was to have been married in a lavish ceremony with 600 guests.

Massive search
Wilbanks’ lawyer has said she doesn’t think her client should be charged with a crime.

Her disappearance prompted a massive search and nationwide publicity. City, county and state officials spent about $50,000 looking for her.

Several state and county agencies already said they will not ask her to reimburse them for a total of $10,000 spent in additional search costs. But the city of Duluth still is seeking repayment of about $40,000 and Mayor Shirley Lassetter said her city attorney has been in negotiations with Wilbanks’ attorney, Lydia Sartain.

Sartain has said she does not think Wilbanks committed a crime in Gwinnett County. Authorities in Albuquerque have already said they will not charge Wilbanks.

“The citizens of the county will be ill-served by an attempted prosecution,” Sartain said.

Sartain did not immediately return a phone call or e-mail seeking comment on Wednesday.

comments?

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2005, 01:50:40 PM »

I am in the midst of calling law students who are applying for law clerk positions with our Supreme Court and Court of Appeals and scheduling interviews for them with our varias and sundried judges and justices....it is making me both sleepy and causing me to crave chocolate (for some reason)

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2005, 01:52:55 PM »

DR JRand54, I see that THUNDER ALLEY and MINI-SKIRT MOB are both releasing on DVD June 7th. Of course both star Ms. Diane McBain, who was not in the least bit excited that these films were going to see the light of day on DVD! LOL!

In fact I think she was appalled!

But, as she said, sometimes you just had bills to pay! LOL!

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2005, 01:57:20 PM »

and another story proving

"people is dumb"

NEWHALL, Calif. - A woman was arrested after the California Highway Patrol officer who pulled her car over found nine people crammed inside, including two children in the trunk.

“I have never heard of this,” said Officer Wendy Hahn. “There was no room left in the car, so she puts two of the kids in the trunk. We’re trying to get people to buckle up, and this is what we find.”

Lavern Dunlap, 35, of Glendora, was pulled over about 8 p.m. Friday after another driver reported seeing a woman closing the trunk of her Toyota Corolla with two children inside as the vehicle sat parked on a shoulder.

Dunlap told the officer she was heading to her sister’s house in Palmdale, about a 60-mile trip.

The officer discovered a 15-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl in the trunk, four children in the back seat, an adult in the front passenger seat with a child on her lap and Dunlap behind the wheel. No one was wearing a seat belt, she said.

Dunlap was booked on suspicion of child cruelty and was released. She is scheduled to appear next month in court.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »

DR MBARNUM I cannot imagine she paid many bills with the money she made on MINI SKIRT MOB..... LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2005, 02:02:03 PM »

"people is dumb"

We had something like that happen here a few years back..they found a family that was in the habit of stuffing several kids and/or adults in the trunk on a regular basis when all the other seats were full....in the middle of summer during 90+ degree weather!

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2005, 02:02:55 PM »

Hey BK...watch out when you take your next little  dip in the pool, you may have company

LOS ANGELES - A 140-pound bear wandered into a suburban neighborhood and took a dip in a swimming pool before being tranquilized and returned to the wild.

The female bear ambled into the San Fernando Valley’s Porter Ranch area shortly after 6 p.m. Sunday, bumping into doors and windows before taking a few splashes in a backyard pool, fire spokesman Brian Humphrey said.

Homeowner Maryam Salahael pulled her children out of the pool when the bear showed up, and she called 911.

“My dog began barking very loudly. I went to see what’s going on. I see a bear in my backyard,” Salahael told KTTV-TV.

Authorities cordoned off the area as wildlife officials tranquilized the bear, said Cindy Wood of the California Department of Fish and Game. The animal was then released into the Santa Susana Mountains.

“It looks like it’s possibly in heat,” Wood said. “She probably just made a wrong turn and ended up in a neighborhood. She belongs up in the hills and that’s where she lives.”

Here endeth the News from Vixmom

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2005, 02:04:05 PM »

DR MBARNUM I cannot imagine she paid many bills with the money she made on MINI SKIRT MOB..... LOL

She is quite embarrassed by this film and those tiny little motorcycles these tough gangster women are driving...because the film-makers couldn't afford bigger motorcycles, and some of the actresses didn't know how to drive the bigger motorcycles anyhow! LOL!

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2005, 02:14:31 PM »

Ok, for my encore, I present

"people is REALLY dumb!!"

FOREMAN, Ark. -  
Jeff Foran suffered trauma to his nose, eyes and chin after jumping from a car traveling 55-60 mph. Authorities said he was trying to retrieve a cigarette blown out of the passenger-side window.

Foran, 38, took the leap Saturday night, state police Trooper Jamie Gravier said.

The driver of the car, Jerry Glenn Nelson, said Foran had asked him earlier in the evening to be a designated driver after a night of drinking.

"Nelson said Foran was smoking a cigarette when it blew out the window and Foran jumped out the window to retrieve the cigarette. Nelson said he was driving between 55 and 60 mph when Foran jumped out," the trooper said.

Gravier added: “If anything could make him stop smoking, this should be it. The man is lucky to be alive.”

And here REALLY endeth the News from Vixmom

I promise
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 02:19:13 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2005, 02:16:25 PM »

I am in the midst of calling law students who are applying for law clerk positions with our Supreme Court and Court of Appeals and scheduling interviews for them with our varias and sundried judges and justices....it is making me both sleepy and causing me to crave chocolate (for some reason)

Extra points for those interviewees who arrive with chocolate for you!! :D

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »

Alright I am off to brave the rain and trafiic and wet roads

Laters!! (as our esteemed  DR Jose is wont to say)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »

"people is dumb"
What can that woman have been thinking???

Putting a fifteen-year-old boy in the trunk with a ten-year-old girl???

She probably had them dressed in gauze thongs!!!

Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2005, 02:20:34 PM »

What can that woman have been thinking???

Putting a fifteen-year-old boy in the trunk with a ten-year-old girl???

She probably had them dressed in gauze thongs!!!

Bleh.

;D

I am adding you to my list of favorite bearded men, right between Jesus and Santa!!  :D

Jed

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »

I've never cared the least bit about fashion, so I've had no particular good or bad phases.  I generally stay in the stereotypical straight male category of "average to poor."  (DR Ann may negate my claims of average, though)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2005, 02:33:07 PM »

Extra points for those interviewees who arrive with chocolate for you!! :D

Or Bollywood Movies!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up