Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PINCH OF SNUFF  (Read 14377 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A PINCH OF SNUFF
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2005, 09:31:11 AM »

I shall eagerly check my mail today.

And one for Mahler.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2005, 09:34:09 AM »

I had a very eerie deja vu moment last night.

As I was lying in bed reading the magazine The Out Traveler, I came upon a picture in the magazine of a 1965 gay rights demonstration held in Philadelphia on July 4th in the park right across the street from Independence Hall.

Well, I was THERE the day that picture was taken. No, not participating in the demonstration (I was 14 and on our annual summer excursion to NYC with a stopoff at Philadelphia), but on a bus on the way to the art museum in the city when I noticed this fairly large of group of very nice looking men (dressed in beautiful suits) and women carrying picket signs and walking around the grounds. I HONESTLY didn't know what the term "homosexual" meant, but as soon as my uncle told me (after I asked who those people were and what were they demonstrating about), I knew from that moment on what *I* was.

Eeriest part of all - in the background of that photograph is a bus . . . .
I had a similar experience, understanding who *I* was when it was explained.  One of the earlier psychiatric quacks was making an appearance on the Mike Douglas show, when I was seven or eight, explaining "homosexuals" and going into the whole "absentee father/strong mother" routine.  Yep, I heard the word and knew who he was talking about.

But, when it comes to photos of a bus, the only event similar that I can recall from my own life was during one of the Christopher Street West Parades.  I'd been invited by the owners of Floyds, a Long Beach country-western bar, to join their contingent.  Some time later, watching a report on the parade on the local PBS station, they showed a long-range shot of the parade, and I spotted the float we'd all walked behind.  And sure enough, I spotted myself on television.  Wierd experience.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2005, 09:38:19 AM »

Time to go to work!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2005, 09:43:57 AM »

Life is good.

It's a beautiful day.

The week is almost over.

Today is "meat loaf Thursday" at the Oakland Art Museum cafe.

Tomorrow is payday.

And I'm taking tomorrow afternoon OFF to go see "The War of the Worlds."

Yep.  Life is good.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:55 AM »

Has anyone here experienced heartburn (or acid reflux) as a "result" of taking antibiotics?

I haven't had heartburn problems for a long time.  Suddenly, despite a rather bland, soft-chew diet (because of the dentistry experience of 6 days ago), I'm having some symptoms.

The only thing new is the amoxicillin.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2005, 09:58:20 AM »

Ron Pulliam: The antibiotic may be upsetting your stomach, causing the increase in acid production. I have acid reflux disease - new medication sometimes makes it worse for me, too.

Check with your MD or pharmacist - they may have a different kind or different dose of Amoxicillan for you to take that won't aggrivate your stomach.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2005, 10:01:08 AM »

A another LP that I'd love to see transfered to CD is the soundtrack to the movie "Arthur"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2005, 10:02:59 AM »

Ron Pulliam: The antibiotic may be upsetting your stomach, causing the increase in acid production. I have acid reflux disease - new medication sometimes makes it worse for me, too.

Check with your MD or pharmacist - they may have a different kind or different dose of Amoxicillan for you to take that won't aggrivate your stomach.

Thanks, Jason (and where the frell have you been????).  I have two (count 'em 2) capsules left, so I figure I'll just finish 'em off and hope things return to normal.

I "googled" amoxicillin, but none of the listed symptoms resembled heartburn...but I think you're onto something.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

Bewitched, bothered and bodacious....am I.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2005, 10:05:56 AM »

DR SteveO:  Share with us.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2005, 10:06:05 AM »

Arthur is on CD in Japan.  Comes up quite often on eBay.

Jason

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2005, 10:17:10 AM »

RP: Where the frell have I been? Good question. I've been toiling away in this urban cell called my cubicle. I've been sloshing my way through the sea of humidity that is New York City. I've been trying to recoup the $1400 I had to pay out the IRS just two months ago. (!!) In short, I'm not sure where I've been.

I don't think I mentioned this (I believe my last post was waaaaay back in December, if you can believe that) - I moved out of my mouse infested apartment on February 1. Yes, ladies and germs, the mouse house is gone and now I'm in a loverly 3rd floor walk-up in Queens. How a propos. The rent only went up $15/month and I have a kitchen and bathroom, but with it came two roommates and only one air conditioner. Oh, well...it's leaps and bounds better than what I had.

Sadly, with the new roommates and limited space in my bedroom, getting online and STAYING online for any significant periods of time isn't really an option. I have to sit on the floor to use my computer (it's on a very, very short table at the foot of my bed until I can find a better place to put it), and since my room for some reason is the hottest and most humid, I try to avoid spending too much time in there if I can help it.

I've also been going to the theatre a lot. Since Jan. 1, I've seen 48 performances of various ilks: Broadway, off-B'way, off-off-B'way, concerts at Carnegie Hall (Patti and Kristin), concerts at Lincoln Center (Audra), operas, etc. I'm a busy boy, I guess.

I should go back and read the Tonys reactions to see what you guys thought. All I'm gonna say is, PIAZZA should have won over SPAMALOT.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2005, 10:20:03 AM »

Jason:  It's good to see your fa...errr....umm....you back!

:D

Yes, DO wade through the 500 or so posts from Tony day!

;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 10:21:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2005, 10:21:51 AM »

900 posts, baby, 900 posts.

Am off and running on the new short story.  This is an idea I've had for some time, and it's really fun to write.  I'm three pages in now, after having nuked my original opening line (opening sentences are key for me) and replaced it with a much better one.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »

I am listening to a wonderful compilation CD that the kind and generous DR Elmore3003 put together for me...various songs sung by John Reardon...I am loving this man's voice so much!

There are also two CDs by a Thomas Hampson, who I am not at all familiar with...but I shall listen to them soon.

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2005, 11:00:40 AM »

Everyone does just seem to be sitting here like so much fish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2005, 11:10:32 AM »

I thought I was going to get away with a less nutty day today, but I was just informed of a last-minute rehearsal with Mr. Kevin Spirtas at two, and then I have to be at Mr. Grant Geissman's home environment at four.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2005, 11:22:43 AM »

Oy!  

I'm having hot flashbacks!

H.R. Pufnstuf, who’s your friend when things get rough?
H.R. Pufnstuf can’t do a little cause he can’t do enough.

Once upon a summertime just a dream from yesterday
A boy & his magic golden flute heard a boat from off the bay
"Come and play with me, Jimmy. Come and play with me.
And I will take you on a trip far across the sea."

But the boat belonged to a kooky old witch who had in mind the flute to snitch.
From her broom broom in the sky she watched her plans materialize.

She waved her wand.  The beautiful boat was gone
The skies grew dark.  The sea grew rough
And the boat sailed on and on and on and on and on and

But Pufnstuf was watching too.  And knew exactly what to do
He saw the witch’s boat attack.  And as the boy was fighting back

He called his rescue racer crew.  As often they’d rehearsed
And off to save the boy they flew.  But who would get there first?

But now the boy had washed ashore.  Puf arrived to save the day
Which made the witch so mad and sore. She shook her first and screamed away.

H.R. Pufnstuf, can’t do a little cause he can’t do enough.
H.R. Pufnstuf, can’t do a little cause he can’t do enough.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2005, 11:23:33 AM »

Did anyone else really LOVE "Witchie-Poo"?

I did.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2005, 11:35:04 AM »

There are also two CDs by a Thomas Hampson, who I am not at all familiar with...but I shall listen to them soon.

What a coinkydink!  A woman that I work with just called me, asking if I knew who Thomas Hampson was!  She's listening to a CD of his where he sings Broadway songs.  She's enjoying the CD, but just had no clew as to who he was.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »

I saw Thomas in DON GIOVANNI two seasons ago. He's a very talented, very handsome gentleman who apparently is a joy to work with. He was Giovanni to Rene Pape's Leporello. MBarnum: You should check out Rene Pape if you're not familiar with him - he's amazing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2005, 11:52:05 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Just sneaking in a post here while at the LoC.

Things are going well.  I've made a "discovery".  Tom has made a "discovery".  And now we're all just waiting for DR elmore to make a "discovery".

;D

In any case...

From what I've skimmed...

DR Ron Pulliam - Antibiotics can indeed cause acid-reflux.  When I was on my round of stuff last spring, I was also given Prevacid.  I was in the most pain I've ever been in my life.  -And I also lost 16 pounds in the process since I could not keep any food down, and it was also too painful to eat.  So, yes, antibiotics can cause acid reflux.

DR Jason - Hello, again!

OK - Time to go... Be back later.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Just sneaking in a post here while at the LoC.

Things are going well.  I've made a "discovery".  Tom has made a "discovery".  And now we're all just waiting for DR elmore to make a "discovery".

But what did you all discover?

Jason

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2005, 12:17:33 PM »

Hey, Jose.

What is the LoC?

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2005, 12:22:20 PM »

Hey, Jose.

What is the LoC?

Since Jose's left, I'll chime in here and tell you that LoC (or LC) is The Library of Congress, where DR elmore is doing research in the Music Department.

Jason - you mentioned seeing Kristin at Carnegie Hall.  Was that Chenoweth, with the Cincinnati Pops?  My husband and I saw the same concert here in Cincinnati to celebrate our wedding anniversary in January.  Did you enjoy the orchestra and Maestro Kunzel?  They are much loved here in SW Ohio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jason

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2005, 12:35:22 PM »

It was the self-same concert, only at Carnegie Hall. I thought Kristi was fabulous, though I will admit - I'm not a big fan of her "pop" voice. She's OK with country...I can handle that...and she does contemporary Christian pretty well, too, but the true pop stuff just doesn't quite fly with me. But the musical theatre/operatic stuff was fantastic.

The orchestra sounded grand, as well. I'm originally from Louisville, so I'm quite acquainted with the Cincy Pops. I was glad to get to hear them up here.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2005, 12:50:23 PM »

DR Laura mentioned the Phantom of the Opera movie.  How old is the Phantom supposed to be anyhow?  They showed Mme Giry and him as kids, yet he looks late 30s and she looks 45+ to me.  Also if Raoul and Christine were childhood friends (well she is 16-18 and he looks 28). What was he a 15 yr old palying with a 5 yr old? :)

I think it's hard to go from a play to a movie if you follow the play too closely.  I need things to be more developed in movies. It's not enough for me to simply have Raoul and Christine say hi and then declare their love in the next scene.

I found similar play to movie issues with Closer.  IT seemed clear it was a play, since so much was happening in between scenes (that we did not get to see).

Also, for POTO during the boat scenes Christine seemed really into him.  It seemed like a love scene.  But to me it should come across more as her being scared and him being obcessive.

I've never been thrilled with the musical (although i think the songs are nice).  I think we needed more dialogue for the movie.  It's too hard to tell everything through the songs.

I thought Patrick Wilson was very good. And Emmy Rossum is wonderful.  The Phantom was okay, but too young and much too cute for me.  I think he should be freakishly ugly.

The end scenes with the Phantom and Christine doing the opera were quite chilling.  And much of the rest was enjoyable.  Minnie Driver ... not sure what to make of her.  I didn't really like her over the top performance. I know some others loved her (and i think some disliked her). I thought she was okay.  But I would have rather been able to understand her better.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2005, 12:51:43 PM »

have you taken a magnifying glass rto the picture yet to see if yior 14 year old self is in one of the bus windows?

No need for a magnifying glass; the picture is quite large enough to see the bus clearly. But the windows are dark and you can't see into them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2005, 12:56:04 PM »

Hey, Jason! Good to see you again! We are ok fire-wise, but it's very hazy and the smoke smell is very strong in the mornings. We've had several fires on the outskirts of the city the last few days.

I have been busy shoveling rocks and dirt lately, landscaping the new church. Today we went shopping for boulders. We are getting 16 tons (a Forever Plaid reference) delivered tomorrow.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2005, 12:56:56 PM »

Welcome, Annette!  Join us - we're a merry troupe, you know, and only slightly insane.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up