Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PINCH OF SNUFF  (Read 13180 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A PINCH OF SNUFF
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 06:56:08 AM »

After several days of rain, we're going to have a sunny (hot) day today - highs in the 90s. Well, it IS summer! I guess I just have to accept that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 06:57:31 AM »

The new gay network Logo starts up today. I read in VARIETY that they've just made a deal with Direct TV and are also in negotiations with Time Warner, Adelphia, and other cable outlets to be added to their tiers. I'm hopeful my Time Warner cable will soon be carrying it.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 06:59:09 AM »

Has anyone hear actually ever used snuff, either to sniff it or put it in their mouths? I haven't, but I was just curious about others.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 07:09:46 AM »

Good morning!

TOD - another vote here for Christine Andreas' My Fair Lady.

Safe travels, DR Ben, and all my best to Anthony.

Oh, how I'd love to be part of the "research team" at the Library of Congress today!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 07:25:23 AM »

I'm hopeful my Time Warner cable will soon be carrying it.

Ditto.

I honestly can't think of what CDs I am missing/wanting issued.  (Especially now that I have GOLDEN RAINBOW and the Ethel Merman Disco album back in my life!)  But I am sure other readers will come up with things of which I am not thinking.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 07:36:05 AM »

Thank goodness the travel agency acknowledged their mistake (and were very apologetic!) and fixed out tickets.  We would have been out two Eurostar tickets AND tickets to "Mary Poppins".  

Jason

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 07:36:53 AM »

Well, well, well...look what the cat dragged in... ME! I've been more than errant and truant - I've been truant and errant, but my life is finally settling down and I'm back down to a regular 50 hour week now, so I finally have some free time to pop in and say hi!

I got an email from BK the other day and really just wanted to stop in and congratulate him on Kritzerland: The Label and wish him the best of luck with the new venture. I think its great you're back in the recording game and look forward to the two new discs.

I also wanted to check in on my friends from Arizona to make sure no one has been consumed by the fires. I may not visit much, but I do think about you guys and worry.

What else? I don't know, really. I just did a reading of a new show (THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK) at the end of May. We're possibly doing it again at the end of the summer. Perhaps you read about us on Playbill.com. Or not.

And F.Y.I., tobacco snuff is made by selecting tobacco leaf (and also sometimes tobacco stalk, as in e.g. Irish High Dry Toast) and disintegrating it into a coarse powder.  It is next ground in a manual or mechanical mill, and then sieved.  Various essential oils may then be added for flavouring, after which it is stored in airtight containers to allow the flavour to permeate uniformly. (http://www.snuffbox.org.uk)

The term "up to snuff" originally referred to somebody who was sharp, not easily fooled. This may have come from the idea of snuff being itself a sharp preparation, but perhaps because it was mainly taken by men of adult years and some affluence (it was expensive) who would be able to appreciate the quality of snuff and distinguish between examples of different value. The evidence isn’t there to be sure about its exact origin, though an early form of the phrase was up to snuff and a pinch above it, which at least confirms it did indeed relate to tobacco. (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-upt1.htm)

And now, back to work. :(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 07:59:33 AM by Jason »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »

WOW!!!!

DR JASON!!!  You have been missed!  And what a stunning avatar! ;)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 07:47:36 AM »

ECHOING DRStuart's welcome ---- nice to see your name here again, Jason, and a post!!  :)

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2005, 07:48:16 AM »

I saw a movie yesterday, Wicker Park.  I think BK reviewed it (although I'm not sure how to search in the actual columns).

In this movie there was a lot of going back and forth.  Do most of you guys like when movies do that?  I usually do. And in this case I did.  There were many twists and turns, and I actually thought they mostly made sense (as opposed to another dvd I saw the day before called Just A Kiss).  That one was more complex to follow, with actual changes in the story when they went back.

Okay I'm a sucker for good romantic comedies (i can know the movie is not fantastic, but they still make me happy). :)

Ben

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 07:48:24 AM »

Welcome back Jason! Kerry will be very glad to see your smiling Dollys around these parts :-)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 07:53:35 AM »

Yes!! Welcome back Jason!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 08:06:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: BODACIOUS!

The only time I ever hear this word is when it's used with "ta-tas," as in "bodacious ta-tas."

Records (already mentioned) that I'd love to have on CD:

Baker Street
Candide
(1973 version)
The Sound of Music with Petula Clark

I have a bunch of records at home, none of which I can remember right now. ::) I'm sure something will come to me later.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 08:07:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: BODACIOUS!
Bo dacious around and around all day, but he never seems to get anything done.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 08:20:35 AM »

Bodacious?  As in "bodacious..." ...errrr...umm...well, "bodacious ha-has"!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 08:21:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 08:52:58 AM »

I would also love the Christine Andreas MFL, and the London cast of PROMISES, PROMISES (with Betty Buckley).  I'd also love a recording of SMILE, period.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 08:56:03 AM »

Nice to see DR Jason back, if only for one post. Hope he can drop around more often.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 08:57:38 AM »

I like films that go back and forth in time IF it suits the subject matter and the style of the film. THE GODFATHER PART II is certainly one of the greatest to have accomplished that. So is CITIZEN KANE.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2005, 09:04:51 AM »

I had a very eerie deja vu moment last night.

As I was lying in bed reading the magazine The Out Traveler, I came upon a picture in the magazine of a 1965 gay rights demonstration held in Philadelphia on July 4th in the park right across the street from Independence Hall.

Well, I was THERE the day that picture was taken. No, not participating in the demonstration (I was 14 and on our annual summer excursion to NYC with a stopoff at Philadelphia), but on a bus on the way to the art museum in the city when I noticed this fairly large of group of very nice looking men (dressed in beautiful suits) and women carrying picket signs and walking around the grounds. I HONESTLY didn't know what the term "homosexual" meant, but as soon as my uncle told me (after I asked who those people were and what were they demonstrating about), I knew from that moment on what *I* was.

Eeriest part of all - in the background of that photograph is a bus . . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2005, 09:07:10 AM »

Didn't Columbia record SMILE and just never released it after the show closed after a few performances? How awful that Sony has not seen fit to release it, for the archives if nothing else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2005, 09:15:46 AM »

No, Columbia didn't record Smile.  The authors recorded a demo (mostly synth-based) for the stock and amateur release of the show, so people would have something to hear.  Most of the original cast is on that demo, which has leaked out and if fairly easy to get.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2005, 09:16:12 AM »

Hisaka has replaced her rose avatar with an even more beautiful rose - herself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2005, 09:16:43 AM »

BODACIOUS, baby, BODACIOUS!

That's what I'M talkin' about.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2005, 09:17:56 AM »

Hmmm...one CD I would like to see released is  the Ronald Stein music from his juvenile delinquent films of the 50s that BK helped with....maybe someday!

Also, the EASY TO REMEMBER LP from Norman Luboff and his Choir....I love this LP!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2005, 09:18:15 AM »

What a pleasure to see DR Hisaka's smiling face, even more lovely than the roses you usually show us.  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »

In fact, the only instance of a cast album being recorded and never released is, I believe, Paul Simon's The Capeman.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2005, 09:18:51 AM »

BK, check your mail today...there may be a ghost cat waiting for you! As well as pictures from your Portland Oregon trip!

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2005, 09:23:29 AM »

I have been having several bad days at work lately but fortunatly none as bad as this poor woman's last day at work

(AS a lousy typist I srtongly sympathize with her)

TAIPEI, Taiwan - A Taiwan stock trader mistakenly bought $251 million worth of shares with a mis-stroke of her computer, meaning her company is looking at a paper loss of more than $12 million and she is looking for a new job.

The trader with Fubon Securities made a typo while filling in a small order from Merrill Lynch on Monday, creating confusion when many small firms inexplicably surged past the 7 percent trading limit.

“Something like this is difficult to explain to superiors,” a Fubon executive said on Tuesday.

Fubon said that the trader was unfamiliar with new computer systems and would be fired.

“There is a paper loss of more than T$400 million,” said the executive.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2005, 09:24:53 AM »

I am still waiting for the CD of the Elton John Soundtrack to the 1970's movie "Friends"

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2005, 09:25:49 AM »

I had a very eerie deja vu moment last night.

As I was lying in bed reading the magazine The Out Traveler, I came upon a picture in the magazine of a 1965 gay rights demonstration held in Philadelphia on July 4th in the park right across the street from Independence Hall.

Well, I was THERE the day that picture was taken. No, not participating in the demonstration (I was 14 and on our annual summer excursion to NYC with a stopoff at Philadelphia), but on a bus on the way to the art museum in the city when I noticed this fairly large of group of very nice looking men (dressed in beautiful suits) and women carrying picket signs and walking around the grounds. I HONESTLY didn't know what the term "homosexual" meant, but as soon as my uncle told me (after I asked who those people were and what were they demonstrating about), I knew from that moment on what *I* was.

Eeriest part of all - in the background of that photograph is a bus . . . .

have you taken a magnifying glass rto the picture yet to see if yior 14 year old self is in one of the bus windows?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up