Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WE'RE TALKIN' FIREWORKS  (Read 16952 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WE'RE TALKIN' FIREWORKS
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2005, 11:11:48 AM »

I'm wearing my Red, White, and Blue Speedos...
Vertical stripes or horizontal?  Remember, horizontal stripes can make you look bigger than you actually are...but the same can be said of vertical stripes on Speedos...
Lots of people walking up and down my street.
Speedo-gawkers, obviously.  Pay them no heed.

:o :o :o :o ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »

Dancing in Speedos, a good title for a book of there ever was one!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2005, 11:14:53 AM »

From yesterday - DR JMK posted:
Oh and Jose:  I could tell you stories about Have a Nice Day (I've worked with its "creator" many times).  Yes, I could tell many, many stories.  

I've heard many a story about him from many a person.  One of his other shows, "The Tafettas" has had THREE major productions done in Richmond.

*And, of course, the "funny" thing about "Have A Nice Day" - which is supposed to be a 70's revue - there's a LOT of late 60's music in it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 11:15:48 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2005, 11:17:27 AM »

And the following will be of particular interest to DR George...

Its looks like original and former member of The Manhattan Transfer, Laurel Masse, will be supping with us tonight after the orchestra rehearsal.  She's a friend of the composer.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2005, 11:30:14 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day....

DITTO

;)

I liked the Donmar Warehouse's logo for their production of Assassins - which is what MTI uses now for their materials.

The poster was printed on brown kraft paper.  And it was one of my few true splurges at Triton Gallery.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2005, 11:33:50 AM »

DRJose, tell Joe Kolinski howdy as well.  His wife is goddaughter Charlotte's dance teacher at Horace Mann, and I recommended Joe for WHERE'S CHARLEY? last year at Goodspeed.

DRMBarnum is going to be so thrilled:  a new tell-all biography of agent Henry Willson and his "boys" is coming out in Sept.  It won't be as dishy as my dinner with DRJose last week, but what could be?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2005, 11:35:01 AM »

I also liked the original artwork for A Little Night Music once I realized it was more than just a tree.

;)

And even though the Les Miserables logo has already become iconic - for better or worse - I did like how the ad agency dressed her up for all the various cities, holidays, special occasions, anniversaries, and such.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2005, 11:38:22 AM »

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2005, 11:38:56 AM »

Ohhh....

And I just "remembered" that I used to design logos every now and then for some local theatre companies - and just for my own pleasure.  I have to say - only because others have said it too - that I did some nice work.  Alas, most of those designs are "lost" in some "ancient" computer hard-drive somewhere in my parents' basement.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »

DRJose, tell Joe Kolinski howdy as well.  His wife is goddaughter Charlotte's dance teacher at Horace Mann, and I recommended Joe for WHERE'S CHARLEY? last year at Goodspeed.

I talked for a bit with Joe yesterday.  He was in the first major musical "event" I went to at the Kennedy Center, the Anniversary Production of Bernstein's "Mass".  He was the Celebrant.

That piece had such an impact on my life - musical and non-musical.  -Especially since I was in middle school at the time.  At a private, Catholic school.  I still remember some of the "scandal" surrounding the remount of "Mass".

But I've remembered Joseph Kolinski's name - and voice - ever since then.  And it's always been a pleasure seeing his name pop up in a program, Playbill, listing over the years.  -Original American cast of Les Miserables, the Madison Square Garden Christmas Carol, etc.

...And he had some great stories about "Lenny" yesterday.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2005, 11:49:52 AM »

Well... The rehearsal is going well.  Very well.  So well, in fact, that we'll be done way before the scheduled 5:00 stop time.

hmmm... Lots of yummy oboe and English horn lines.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2005, 11:54:08 AM »

I have fixed the toilet and done some yardwork.  I cannot get the Allen Screw out of the kitchen faucet to fix that.  I think the inside part (where the Allen wrench fits in) is stripped and I am at a loss as to how to get the damned thing out (ooh, a Macbeth reference).

I saw David Cryer do "Mass" in SLC when I was a kid.  It was the first staging after the premiere, IIRC.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2005, 12:07:27 PM »

Say hello to Laurel Masse, too.  We had lunch in the Varese years, and I tried to do something with her.  The label, of course, wasn't interested.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2005, 12:08:33 PM »

Been outside proofing, but the sun isn't in the right place yet - there's lots of foliage and palm trees in my yard and there's only a small space where the sun isn't blocked - one has a two or three hour window if one wants to bask in the glow.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »

I just saw Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglas in a Tmobile ad.  She looks different?  Did she have her face sandblasted?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2005, 12:51:19 PM »

I CANNOT believe I forgot '1776' or ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, two of my all-time favorites.

I also thought SLEUTH was exceptionally clever.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2005, 12:53:21 PM »

The barbecued chicken turned out far better than I believed it would. I did four pieces, and was very tempted to eat all of them, but I showed admirable restraint and ate two and saved two for tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2005, 12:55:11 PM »

My friend Jeff gave me a fabulous 4th of July present: he didn't call! So I have been here today doing lots of chores around the house and watching more BEWITCHED on DVD. No wonder this show was such a hit in its day. It is perfectly delightful, and some of the magic is downright hilarious.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2005, 12:56:14 PM »

I, too, shall try to show admirable restraint at the barbecue.

It is lovely outside, and I'm thirty pages from being done proofing.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2005, 12:56:28 PM »

Since HBO is going to show a new episode of SIX FEET UNDER tonight, I can't tie myself down to a long movie like OCEANS TWELVE so I guess I'll be watching more BEWITCHED until it comes on.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2005, 12:59:40 PM »

One thing I had the DVR capture this afternoon was the second LARA CROFT movie off Showtime-HD. Not that I was so wild about the first one, but the second one co-stars Gerard Butler, and since I had never seen him in anything (to my knowledge) prior to PHANTOM, I thought I'd watch this to see what he's like without the mask, all that repetative music, and all the underground canal candles.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2005, 01:02:45 PM »

I also listened to HIGH BUTTON SHOES on CD again today. Has anyone ever recorded the entire score to this delightful show?

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2005, 01:04:11 PM »

Sheesh! It's turned superhot here again. I had thought I might take a walk later this afternoon, but not in this inferno. I'll have to jump on the treadmill instead.

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »

DR elmore - Do you remember how we celebrated the 4th of July, 29 years ago?

DR TCB - Got your email and will get the CD off to you soon.  It'll be there in time for Christmas, for sure!

I'm about to put our all-American dinner in the oven - meat loaf, macaroni & cheese, a green veggie, and peach ice cream for dessert.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »

I am back from my E&T-ness and have caught up on all posts and topics posted since Friday! Whew!

I had a wonderful time in the mountains of Washington and the weather was beautiful, sunny, and warm! This place called LAKE MERWIN CAMPER'S HIDEWAWAY is amazing! I hope to go many more times!

Met many wonderful people and saw many people who I had not seen since New Years. At one point there were 27 gay men, 2 lesbians, and one straight girl in attendance (not to mention 4 canines) all chatting, drinking, and visiting...it was fun! Not all of them spent the night at our spot....but in the loft where I slept I counted at least 10 snoring away!

Ok, I am exhausted so I will post more later...with photos!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2005, 01:23:30 PM »

DR elmore - Do you remember how we celebrated the 4th of July, 29 years ago?

Duh!  No.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »

Do you need to post a warning first for DRJose?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2005, 01:25:16 PM »

I'm about to put our all-American dinner in the oven - meat loaf, macaroni & cheese, a green veggie, and peach ice cream for dessert.

Do not put the ice cream in the oven, DRGinny!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »

Thank you, Ginny.

I ended up sleeping until noon today.  We had a seven hour rehearsal on Saturday for 42nd STREET.  Yesterday, we had a three and a half hour rehearsal.  After rehearsal was over, I drove up north to have a barbecue with friends.  After dinner, we ended up watching SHANGHAI NOON on televsion.  I hate to admit it, but it was kind of a cute movie, although I still think that Owen Wilson is one of the worst actors working in Hollywood.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2005, 01:35:42 PM »

Met many wonderful people and saw many people who I had not seen since New Years. At one point there were 27 gay men, 2 lesbians, and one straight girl in attendance (not to mention 4 canines) all chatting, drinking, and visiting...it was fun! Not all of them spent the night at our spot....but in the loft where I slept I counted at least 10 snoring away!

With ten gay men in the loft with you, no wonder you are exhausted.

Thanks for the photos, MBarnum.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up