Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WE'RE TALKIN' FIREWORKS  (Read 17068 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WE'RE TALKIN' FIREWORKS
« on: July 03, 2005, 11:59:05 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're all ready for the barbecuing of the wieners, you're already for the explosion of the fireworks, so now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which won't be any time soon, since there are a lot of meat eaters on the 4th of July, and the cows are in hiding in Atascadero.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 12:04:17 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WE'RE TALKIN' FIREWORKS
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 12:00:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: TREMOLO!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 12:03:07 AM »

[size=15]Happy July 4th from OZ[/size]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:03:47 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 12:13:31 AM »

I don't know much at all about poster art.
My favourite (Assuming it was used on posters) was the "A Little Night Music" tree - which lost its charm for the film soundtrack cover. "Follies" and "Merrily" are two others which I think were evocative of their subject matter and/or time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 12:13:58 AM »

TREMOLO, baby, TREMOLO!

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 12:15:28 AM »

The Tremolos were a singing group fronted by Brian Pool in the UK. Their version of "Silence is Golden" outshines The Four Seasons recording.

OK.  I know I know. It is the Tremeloes.
James Thurber 1957

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »

Happy 4th of July!

TOD-Some theater poster favorites--
Follies
Merrily We Roll Along
Falsettos
Miss Saigon
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 12:43:40 AM »

Oh, also-

My Fair Lady
Sunday In The Park With George

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 12:51:30 AM »

I'm doing the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance), and then I suppose I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment, since I'm currently the only one in the jernt.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 02:51:08 AM »

Happy Birthday to the United States of America and all citizens of the United States of America!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 02:57:19 AM »

Thank you, DR Jose, Matth, Elmore and dear BK, for the descriptions about “Porgy and Bess” CD. All descriptions were very helpful and I finally decided to buy the Houston Grand Opera CD which all of them mentioned and preferred. Thanks.
I’m very impressed by dear readers’ large stock of knowledge of any category every time I ask them any question. :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 03:26:54 AM »

Enjoy the barbecued BEANS, not wieners, dear BK! ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 05:55:44 AM »

Good morning, all!  I hope everyone enjoys their holiday.  I'm working on a song called "That Stranger in Your Eyes" today.  I may take a break around noon and run to the market at 86th Street.  Of course, it all depends on my Father.

Theatre posters:
  MY FAIR LADY
  ONCE UPON A MATTRESS
  CANDIDE (both 1956 and 1973)
  FOLLIES
  COMPANY
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 06:45:06 AM »

We are looking forward to a day without rock-shoveling. We'll be going to a bbq this afternoon. I think I shall bake an All-American apple pie to take.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 07:41:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: TREMOLO!
I went to the barber shop, and the barber asked me if I wanted him to tremolittle or tremolo!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 07:47:54 AM »

I went to the barber shop, and the barber asked me if I wanted him to tremolittle or tremolo!

DRSWW ;D ;D ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2005, 07:51:41 AM »

My very first thought about theater poster art was A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC with those couples inside the birch tree. An Amazing logo and so perfect for the show.

Like bk, I think Saul Bass did fabulous logo art, and WEST SIDE STORY is among the greatest ever. Usually I preferred the Broadway art (like MY FAIR LADY or THE MUSIC MAN) to what was done for the movie posters, but WEST SIDE STORY was different. That one continues to be my favorite of all time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2005, 07:54:33 AM »

DR Tom, please pass along my very best thoughts and wishes to Dr OzDerek.

I have a very carefree life for the most part, but in the back of my mind is ALWAYS a dread that the good health that I've enjoyed my entire life could end so unexpectedly. Believe me, when I read of others' problems, I KNOW how lucky I am. Health is one thing I will NEVER, EVER take for granted again, and I have many of the folks here to thank for that.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 07:56:39 AM »

The theater posters that I have spread around my house are: MY FAIR LADY, THE MUSIC MAN, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, SWEENEY TODD, LES MIZ, A CHORUS LINE, INTO THE WOODS, PASSION, ANGELS IN AMERICA, and CITY OF ANGELS.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2005, 07:58:34 AM »

In today's notes, our esteemed BK wrote:
What a festively festive day we shall have and I don’t want to hear any malarkey about people being too too busy to celebrate.

Well, at least part of my day will be spent at work, same as yesterday.  So, instead of celebrating, I'll be helping others with their celebrations.  I happen to like that.

Mind, there are customers who are obnoxious, but by and large most people are nice.  And there are the special customers.  For example, yesterday a mother and son came in; she was perhaps in her sixties, and had that tired expression that happens from having to be in command too much of the time, for her son, around forty, was quite frankly simple-minded.  But he drew such pleasure from being able to read my name tag, and to greet me by name, that I couldn't help feeling joyful with him.

There's a reason I use the word "pleasant" when finishing with each customer, whether I'm wishing them a pleasant day or a pleasant evening.  Simply wishing people a "nice" day doesn't cut it, for me.  I'd rather wish them a "pleasant" day, something that they will enjoy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2005, 08:00:14 AM »

Waiting for the phone to ring when my friend Jeff is ready for me to help him paint. It's like waiting for a time bomb to go off. (I REALLY don't want to do this, but I can't say no to him. He's had a terrible eight months away from town, and this is one of the few things I can do to let him know I'm glad to have him back here.)

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2005, 08:04:52 AM »

I am going to be barbecuing chicken today for my main meal of the day. Corn on the cob will also be a part of the menu. Haven't decided on the rest yet. I should have baked a cake yesterday, but I knew I'd end up eating most of it, and that I don't need!

Danise

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 08:19:09 AM »

Morning folks!  Happy 4th of July to everyone.  I do hope that everyone has a happy and safe day.  

Bear is already freaking out because they are shooting off firecrackers somewhere nearby.  Poor Baby.  Brandi just lies around like nothing is happening.  Nothing bothers her.

I’ve already had my cry for the day.  I caught the last few minutes of “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir”.  The moment they showed the sea at rest I started.   :'(  

Well, my thing for mens voices showed itself again yesterday.  We were watching the OLTL (One Live To Live) marathon.  There was a guy who is playing a bad guy.  The more he talked, the more I kept thinking, “I know this guy from somewhere……”  He didn’t look like anyone I remember.  Then it hit me, he was “Hawk” from Buck Rodgers!  

I went online to check the credits and sure enough, it was Thom Christopher!  

DR TomovOz, please tell DR OzDerek that he is thought of and that there is something in the mail, winging it’s way to him.   :)

We're going to have roast chicken with baked potatos.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2005, 08:20:48 AM »

Theatre Posters:  Mame, Chorus Line, Hillary Knight's wonderful design for "No, No,Nanette, "   Chicago (the original Tony Walton poster0 Paul Davis' poster for the "Anything Goes" revivial, Annie, My Fair Lady, Daid Byrd's design for Follies, Richard Amsels' poster for Bette Midler's concerts and shis poster for "Clams on the Halfshell Revue"

Film:  Richard Amsel's great work for "Death On the Nile," "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Hello Dolly'" of course "First Nudie Musical." Top Hat, King Kong (the original) to name a few.

Happy 4th!
I like boat races.

Danise

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2005, 08:24:09 AM »

DR Hisaka, that is a lovely picture of yourself.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2005, 08:25:23 AM »

Continuing vibes for OzDerek:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 08:34:07 AM by S. Woody White »

Danise

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2005, 08:30:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »

TOD - apropos to the holiday:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2005, 08:35:22 AM »

Oh, DR Danise, the images that image calls up!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D 8)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 08:39:46 AM »

Happy 4th to all.  I will be mostly E&T today as it seems everything in our house has decided to break simultaneously.  So "Mr. Fix-it" (that would be moi) has a long list of items to repair today.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up