Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BOWLING WITH SONDHEIM  (Read 16767 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BOWLING WITH SONDHEIM
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2005, 07:33:33 AM »

I saw in the TV listings this morning that NBC is showing a couple of episode of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA tonight. I'm assuming this is the new version of the show playing on cable, and I've never seen it, so I'm looking forward to giving it a spin tonight. Hopefully, NBC will show it in high definition which will make the viewing experience even more enjoyable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005, 07:34:01 AM »

"I'm very lonely, Abigail,. . . ."

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005, 07:36:16 AM »

Well, off to mow the grass now. It's hot, but there is no alternative. Today is the only rain free day in the forecast for the next several days, and with all the rain we had last week, my yard is resembling a jungle. Now, if only Brendon Fraser were out there to help me with my jungle. . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 08:14:43 AM »

Oh, my goodness! (a Shirley Temple reference)

I just got in from mowing my front lawn and there have been no more posts. Folks on the East Coast must be sleeping in or very busy this morning!

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2005, 08:15:28 AM »

MONK Season 2 came in the mail this morning, so I know what I'll be watching. THE RAZOR'S EDGE will have to wait for Sunday or Monday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2005, 08:44:47 AM »

Whew!

Thanks so much for the On The Spot Sondheim-Hollywood Bowl Report, Reporter Bruce Kimmel.  It was almost like being there!  So sad that you forgot your camera, but life goes on!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005, 08:45:55 AM »

Will be working on the Trivia Question tomorrow.  Selling tickets this afternoon, and hoping for a more TECH-correct show tonight.  

DRTCB - such familiar stories.  Community theatre can be dangerous to your health, but it is SO MUCH FUN!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2005, 08:48:52 AM »

Yeah, sounded like last night was a rough night for tech!
Here's to better shows from here on out!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2005, 08:51:49 AM »

The new cat Walty is in the house. And under the bed in the music room. He probably would do this even if there was no other cat here, since cats need to get used  to their surroundings. I can relate. When I move to a new place I can't unpack and relax for a week or two. I have to physically feel at home. As for Killbot, she seemed curious to look at Walty in his cage. Their didn't seem any ill will, but we aren't letting her into the music room until Walty comes out from under the bed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2005, 08:52:16 AM »

I too am dismayed at trying to choose ONLY ten Sondheim songs for my list.  I certainly am not one of those fawns - BUT anyone who denies Mr Sondheim's talent is - well - just living in denial.  His music and lyrics speak to me in a way that no one else's do.  So.....  I will just go off the top of my head.....and choose those of his written alone & with others.

1. Some People - this will always be MY FAVORITE!
2. Children Will Listen - props to the original singer of this song, never topped in her performance by ANYONE else
3.  Being Alive - another great recorded performance
4.  Ladies Who Lunch - singer & song linked forever
5.  Comedy Tonight - one of the...if not THE... best opening songs ever.
6.  Tonight - such longing and anticipation
7.  Together Wherever We Go - fun and perfect
8.  Company - title tune
9.  Our Time-Not a Day Goes By - had to put them together, couldn't leave one out.
10. Send In the Clowns - don't bother, they're here.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »

My faves:
Anyone Can Whistle-I especially like his own recording on the scrabble LP
Losing My Mind
Our Time
Could I Leave You?
A Parade in Town
Being Alive
Comedy Tonight
Green Finch Linnet Bird
Everybody Ought to Have a Maid
I'm Still Here

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2005, 09:11:37 AM »

Apropos a la TOD, I will tell a story I have written here before.  8)

Many years ago in the 1980's, before DRJOEY was born, I attended a Sondheim event with my friend Suzanne.  It was at a music school in Chicago, and the program included much of Mr Sondheim's music played on two pianos - Ferrante & Teicher style.  After that, Mr Sondheim took the stage and answered questions from the audience.  Most the students asking questions began by introducing themselves and then giving LONG lists of shows they had been in (some by SS, some not).  He quickly grew impatient and began interrupting these introductions, but asking...what is your question, but he didn't leave the stage until the line had dissipated.  I HAD a question, but didn't join the line.

Afterwards he headed up the aisle of the auditorium....stopped in his tracks, went back to the stage and looked at the music left on the piano.  My assumption is he was looking for the arranger's name.  He found what he was looking for....went "Hrumph" and left.  LOL  ;D

A few days later a friend gave me an address to write to SS.  I asked my question in a letter.  A few days later - back came an answer to my question AND the photograph I asked for.   ;D ;D ;D

Neither of us mentioned Chicago again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2005, 09:25:45 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I forgot to tell the story of The Bee.  Prior to our boxmates' arrival, was the arrival of The Bee.  Now, even at that point, there were thousands of people sitting in boxes and elsewhere, having their food.  But, this bee decided that our food was the most delicious-looking and smelling, so he came to our box.  We didn't like having a bee as a visitor and tried, gingerly, to shoo him away.  But, this bee was not having it.  This bee was simply enamored of our shrimp cocktail sauce and the chicken breasts and he would not be dissuaded from landing on them.  We gingerly shooed him and shooed him, but to no avail.  It became quite comical and neighboring box dwellers began to enjoy the show.  Finally, I said to Tammy, "We must kill the bee."  The bee, as if in agreement, landed on one of the shrimp and stayed there.  Tammy and I both picked up napkins, moved them close to the shrimp and the bee, and on the count of three we both swiftly moved in and we got the little sucker and twisted it to death in the napkin and then deposited the deceased bee in the bushes.  

The End.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »

Here is my list, mostly comprised of songs I love to sing along to:

Being Alive
What Can You Lose
Every Day a Little Death (this song always impacts me so strongly)
Unworthy of Your Love
Not a Day Goes By
No One is Alone
Move On
Not Getting Married Today
Losing My Mind
The Miller's Son

Also close behind are Another Hundred People, Something's Coming, and The Ladies Who Lunch- which I love being sung by Elaine Stritch but is also my favorite scene in the movie Camp.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2005, 10:02:37 AM »

TPunk, I am glad you have added an avatar of you lovely self!

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2005, 10:04:24 AM »

And now I am going to embarrass myself by saying that even though I have read through everybody's lists of favorite Sondheim songs, I still have to say that, aside from two songs that JRand54 listed...Comedy Tonight and Send in the Clowns...I evidently don't know from Sondheim  :-\

I am sure that comes as no surprise to some! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2005, 10:06:07 AM »

On the flip side I am quite familiar with KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND and I will be going to see them today with Mark, James, Terry and someone named Scott who is evidently Terry's new beau (he broke up with his previous beau Jim earlier in the week...Terry doesn't waste any time! LOL).

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2005, 10:07:46 AM »

Tomorrow I am going to see WAR OF THE WORLDS with my buddy Ron. I have heard much good about the movie so I am thinking it might be fun.

However, I don't think I am gonna get to any of the movies that were on my docket from yesterdays media check.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2005, 10:08:39 AM »

Now my frenzy is over...must now drink coffee, read newspaper, go to gym, shower and shave and begin the day.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2005, 10:21:22 AM »

My absolute all-time favorite Sondheim song, bar none, is Someone in a Tree from Pacific Overtures. I will have to think about the other nine as I go about my day ending with Mexarita w/RodMoore and Company.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2005, 10:25:23 AM »

Thanks MBarnum, I'm still playing around with the formatting...

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2005, 11:18:11 AM »

The new cat Walty is in the house. And under the bed in the music room. He probably would do this even if there was no other cat here, since cats need to get used  to their surroundings. I can relate. When I move to a new place I can't unpack and relax for a week or two. I have to physically feel at home. As for Killbot, she seemed curious to look at Walty in his cage. Their didn't seem any ill will, but we aren't letting her into the music room until Walty comes out from under the bed.

It works well to give the new cat a space where he feels safe and to give him attention in the space while allowing the cat that was already there run of the house except for the music room and to give her lots of attention. Then to slowly introduce the two cats.  I did this with my cats, by the second day they were reaching uder the door to see each other and by the third day were curled up on the couch together.  They are wonderful friends now.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2005, 11:19:01 AM »

Yes very nice avatar DR TPUNK.

DRBEN - you will be pleased to know that my question to Mr Sondheim was:

Is there any lyric you have written or song & lyric you have composed that still gives you the same emotional response when you hear it today as when you first wrote it?

And his answer was "Someone in a Tree" - and in fact, the PACIFIC OVERTURES score in general.  There are others he said he favors, but PO is a personal favorite of his.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »

Maybe some other DR's can post autographs or autographed photos they have that they treasure.  I would love to see some of them.

My guess is that MBARNUM has the most arcane collection, but who knows?

Jed

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2005, 11:24:29 AM »

TCB - The sound op hadn't so much as seen a single rehearsal?  Oy!  A 12-year-old kid on follow spot?  Ugh.  It all makes so much more sense now.  Heck, you could've done at least as well drafting me to punch sound buttons and have Ann point a light at people!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2005, 11:30:53 AM »

It works well to give the new cat a space where he feels safe and to give him attention in the space while allowing the cat that was already there run of the house except for the music room and to give her lots of attention. Then to slowly introduce the two cats.  I did this with my cats, by the second day they were reaching uder the door to see each other and by the third day were curled up on the couch together.  They are wonderful friends now.  

I wish we had known about that 18 years ago it might have made life easier.  But then 34 years ago, unknowingly (the new cat was very ill) we separated the new cat and it didn’t work.  One of our cats disliked the new cat for the rest of her life.  It wasn’t a major problem unless they both wanted to enjoy my lap at the same time. ;D

Jane

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »

TPunk, I am glad you have added an avatar of you lovely self!

I agree, it is very nice.  I like your expression. :)

Jane

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2005, 11:33:53 AM »

Bruce I so much enjoyed your bee story-NOT! :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2005, 11:34:58 AM »

TCB - The sound op hadn't so much as seen a single rehearsal?  Oy!  A 12-year-old kid on follow spot?  Ugh.  It all makes so much more sense now.  Heck, you could've done at least as well drafting me to punch sound buttons and have Ann point a light at people!

Well, believe me, son, the thought occured to me.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2005, 11:43:53 AM »

I guess KC and the Sunshine Band is next weekend, as Terry found out when he went down to purchase our tickets! LOL!

So Terry and his new boyfriend are going on a date and Mark, James, and I will have hamburgers and go to the movies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up