Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FIDGETY  (Read 16922 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:FIDGETY
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2005, 09:10:33 PM »

Nothing Ben, Jose or Jason said prepared me for how wrongheaded Suzanne Somers' show was. Nobody told me there would be a song with Suzanne singing "How do I say 'Thank You?'" to the disembodied voice of George Lucas. AND THE DISEMBODIED VOICE OF GEORGE LUCAS SINGING BACK TO HER! When she brings her cart of products out onto the stage, she is only partially joking when she starts hawking some pajamas. The bathos-tub was running over, and the whole thing reeked of self-indulgence, cloaked as it was in some genuine trials SS has endured. The woman did —and I kid you not—FIVE curtain calls at show's end. And only about half of the audience was standing, most just to leave!

Truly memorable.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2005, 09:14:28 PM »

Jose and Jason were actually there to greet the Gal and I as we exited the theatre and they were watching with bemusement the bewildered expressions on the faces of the patrons.

We went out for some beverages and compared notes on the show. Many laughs were had, and not all of them were at Suzanne Somers' expense.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2005, 09:16:36 PM »

I'm with you, BK. I don't like readings. My feeling is I'd rather just put the show on in some low-stakes venue and see how it goes. A reading just doesn't tell me enough, whether it's about my show or someone else's show. Of course, time isn't always permitting.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2005, 09:17:38 PM »

Quell Vadis?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2005, 09:19:30 PM »

"Everybody Loves Saturday Night" by the New Christy Minstrels. They also have a song just called "Saturday Night."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2005, 09:21:45 PM »

S-A-T-U-R  
D-A-Y
Night!

Bay City Rollers, anyone?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2005, 09:22:57 PM »

I thought I would try clever and attempt to define "Mon soon" as two words. My French dictionary has no words beginning with "soo".

You could try something phonetic with "soon," some other spelling perhaps?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »

quelquefois
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2005, 09:24:22 PM »

quelsques- uns (A "Gypsy" reference")
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 09:25:02 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2005, 09:31:09 PM »

...Nobody told me there would be a song with Suzanne singing "How do I say 'Thank You?'" to the disembodied voice of George Lucas. AND THE DISEMBODIED VOICE OF GEORGE LUCAS SINGING BACK TO HER!...
So, what you're telling us is that Georgie thought Howard the Duck needed a sequel?

Somehow, that's too frightening to get a smiley.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »

There will be a couple of potential investors at the reading - that was one of the reasons we did it.  Hopefully it will be fine.  It's just that a play like this particular play is very visual and that element (the murder) will all be read instead of acted out - which obviously isn't going to really tell or show anybody how visceral it will really be.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2005, 09:36:20 PM »

"Everybody Loves Saturday Night" by the New Christy Minstrels. They also have a song just called "Saturday Night."

We older folk remember the Percy Faith version of "Everybody Loves Saturday Night". (early 50's)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 09:38:59 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2005, 09:40:43 PM »

I'm very glad DR MBarnum is watching "Carousel."  It was gloriously filmed and is every bit the equal of "Oklahoma!" as a great film musical experience.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2005, 09:43:23 PM »

I did catch BB6 on Thursday and love the updates from the 24/7 cam. Still getting into it, so I'm not really sure who I would like to see nominated. I'd love it if Eric gets the boot, but I don't see Kaysar nominating him right away.  Kaysar is smart and I am dying to see how he gets even for the way Michael was treated. I think he'll find a way.

As I recall the pairs will be revealed to the houseguests tonight. I can't wait to see how that stirs things up!

I was supposed to tape tonight's episode for my niece, who went to a Seattle Storm Women's basketball game and I forgot. :-[ She was not very happy when she got back tonight.  By any chance, did anyone tape it? ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2005, 09:46:34 PM »

I have never really bothered with "Oklahoma" - it's just not really involving. "Carousel" will always remain my favourite of the R & H musicals and my first introduction to the score was the Soundtrack. It is one of only two films that will bring tears to me!
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »

Re: Trivia Question.

I think I got it  right away. The first answer that pops into my head is usually a starting point but I think I got it right away! I shall send BK an email

Showoff. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2005, 10:00:11 PM »

Hi, i'm new top posting here, and not so computer savvy.  So please forgive me if this message ends up in the wrong place....

FJL, welcome to HHW!

George

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2005, 10:02:13 PM »

"Everybody Loves Saturday Night" by the New Christy Minstrels....

Rodzinski, I still have the vinyl album...just waiting for your address. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 10:38:37 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2005, 10:45:11 PM »

Good Evening!

What a glorious day this day was!

After logging off of HHW earlier, I ended up taking about an hour or so to straighten my room.  I unpacked some things.  I put things away.  I organized some other stuff.  I got settled in.  Ah... very nice.

Then I took a nice walk down Broadway from 145th to 110th where I met my friend, David.  David moved up here about four months ago, and he works at Saks in their Home Department.  We then took the 1 - a very, very crowded 1 train - down to Times Square where we transferred over to the A, which we took down to 14th.

We took a nice walk through Chelsea Market - his first time there.  Made a stop at Fat Witch Brownies - his first time there too.  We each bought a brownie - and had a sample or two too.  -And they had the big sample pieces out today - I guess since there were close to closing for the day.

Then we just ended up walking up Ninth for a bit... Back over to Eighth and down a few blocks...  Then over to Seventh... One big zig-zag - he likes to walk a lot too.  It was the perfect afternoon for walking and people watching.  And it was also the perfect way for us to play catch up too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »

On the walk down Broadway from 145 to 110, I had an ad hoc lunch courtesy of the street vendors: chicken empanada, tamarindo agua fresca, and a coconut ice.  Grand total for said "meal": $2.50!

...And I think I may walk down Amsterdam, and "gather" my lunch in the same way tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2005, 10:47:47 PM »

DR elmore - RE: Dinner earlier tonight - No worries.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2005, 10:58:07 PM »

Alas, I missed supping with DRs Rodzinksi and TPunk since I was hanging out with my friend, David, down in Chelsea.

We ended up at place called Better Burger.  Sort of a fast food menu, but leans towards the healthy side.  Chicken burgers, Ostrich burgers, Soy burgers, etc.  Plus hot dogs and "comfort loaves" - meat loaves.  I gave their Popeye Loaf (Chicken with Spinach and Parmesan) - very tasty, and the stir-fried vegetables were very good too.  *I had to eat something healthy this week.  ;)  They have a couple of locations around the city.  And since they have vegetarian options, I may add them to the Food and Walking Tour this October.

http://www.betterburgernyc.com
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »

Drumstruck was a lot of fun.  Just sooooo much energy and positive energy emanating from the stage.  And some of the most expressive faces you will see anywhere - great smiles too!

One of the performers, "Tiny", who is actually a rather "ample" girl, apparently hurt herself early on.  She came out with her ankle wrapped for a few segments - or just sat them out entirely.  And even though she was limping pretty badly by the time of the curtain call, she just kept that bright smile on her face.

And, surprisingly, the show was not as loud as I thought it would be.  Well, as loud as it could have been.  However, I do wish the voices were better mic'd and mixed - they tended to get lost in the drums - and sometimes when there were no drums playing too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2005, 11:03:01 PM »

Welcome newest DR, FJL!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2005, 11:03:56 PM »

I cleaned my keyboard today. :) I took off and washed all of the keys, vacuumed the board, cleaned the top of the keyboard and put it all back together in the right places!  It looks as good as new!  Just had to share. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2005, 11:04:19 PM »

Well... I want to try to get up early-ish tomorrow and head out while the temp is still cool.  -It's a very comfortable 68 right now.

-I hope DR Rodzinki and TPunk have a nightmare free night after viewing Ms. Somers' show earlier tonight.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2005, 11:08:46 PM »

OH!

The main writers for The Blonde in the Thunderbird were/are Ken and Mitzie Welch.  -Or as the program has them listed under the song credits: "Ken and Mitzie and Ken Welch".  They were with "The Carol Burnett Show"!

And, according to their bio in the Playbill, they've also written a new song for the upcoming TV production of "Once Upon A Mattress".  Hmmm... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2005, 11:12:16 PM »

OH!  After just doing a re-read of the music credits, I just realized that Ed Kleban's "Self Portrait" (which was included in A Class Act) was in the show.

Hmmm...  I wonder if the folks up at R&H came down to see the show?

And word on the street is that the estate of Dorothy Fields is not too happy with the "special lyrics" that Ken and Mitzie Welch wrote for "Pick Yourself Up".  Hmmm...

And we also noticed some listings for some video clips that did not appear in the show either.  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2005, 11:13:10 PM »

And I have to say Ms. Somers totally ruined the song, "Fifty Percent" from Ballroom for me.  UGH!  And the arrangement too!  Double-UGH!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2005, 11:15:26 PM »

...And then there was her rendition of "If I Only Had A Brain"...

....and "Take Back Your Mink"...

However, nothing could possibly top the song "Inventory" by "Ken and Mitzie and Ken Welch".  -I guess you had to be there.  Luckily, most of you were not.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up