Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GIRDING MY LOINS  (Read 23023 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:GIRDING MY LOINS
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2005, 11:26:22 AM »

I like posters that have art, not photographic images.  A couple of my favourite posters are in my house I have a great Gunga Din poster from its 1948 re-release.  I've got a lovely Polish poster from The Vikings that I'm quite fond of.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2005, 11:39:08 AM »

I am in the middle of watching R Kelly's "Urban Opera: Trapped in the Closet" on VH1.  It is like nothing I've ever seen, I don't know how to describe it.  It's a 5 part (the 6th installment is on its way) music video about infidelity with both a literal and metaphorical hiding/coming out of the closet.

Check your listings, it is not to be missed.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2005, 11:43:57 AM »

TPunk I’m sorry you didn’t get a picture of Walty to post.  Is he a small cat?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2005, 11:51:59 AM »

No, he's quite big, I would guess about 18 pounds or so.  That actually added to the comedy of the situation, the front of him was all sprawled out, hanging over the edge of the seat.  The rest of him was all hunched up in back so that he wouldn't slide off.

Graceful, he is not. :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2005, 11:58:07 AM »

Maybe not graceful but I bet really cute. ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »

Uggggh!!!!!!!!!  I am very unhappy with who won the veto competition on Big Brother 6 (I won't reveal it for those who like to be surprised).

:(

Btw, very interesting scene on the show last night.  What did you guys think of what happened with Maggie and James?

I discovered that I was subscribed the the Real Superpass and didn't realize it. I cancelled, but it goes until August 15, well it includes the BB6 24 hour cam.  Oh No.... I'm hooked. I watched for about 3 hours last night. It's SOOO much different and more devious than just watching the show.  A whole different perspective.  

Not happy with  the Veto competition, but not totally surprised. I will be sorry to see the person go who is a foregone conclusion after the veto competition.

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2005, 12:06:02 PM »

I do have to say that I really liked the Law Firm the other night. It was refreshing to see a "reality" show where the people "dismissed" were dismissed because they didn't do the job the way they were supposed to. If Roy Black can maintian professionalism and good work as the standard for who stays on the show. It will be worth watching.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2005, 12:11:49 PM »

Charlie Brown is a prosecutor?  It figures.  Good grief!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »

I discovered that I was subscribed the the Real Superpass and didn't realize it. I cancelled, but it goes until August 15, well it includes the BB6 24 hour cam.  Oh No.... I'm hooked. I watched for about 3 hours last night. It's SOOO much different and more devious than just watching the show.  A whole different perspective.  

Not happy with  the Veto competition, but not totally surprised. I will be sorry to see the person go who is a foregone conclusion after the veto competition.

Can you describe what it's like to watch it. I wonder if I would get hooked.  I know i am hooked to the canoe updates.  But I feel like I would bored out of my mind watching them do nothing for most of the time.  I think i would enjoy watching the interesting bits.

And re: the veto comp and such.

It drives me crazy how the show flip flops back and forth.  Janelle/Kaysar were almost out of it, then he won HOH.  Then when it seemed like the Outcasts were golden, Maggie won HOH.  It almost seems predictable.

Btw, still no comment about what we saw between Maggie and James last night.  It made me think Maggie was much smarter than she's let on.  To me James is pretty smart, and if he thought that maggie was interrogating him like a cop, well it made me wonder if she is lying about being a nurse!

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »

I do have to say that I really liked the Law Firm the other night. It was refreshing to see a "reality" show where the people "dismissed" were dismissed because they didn't do the job the way they were supposed to. If Roy Black can maintian professionalism and good work as the standard for who stays on the show. It will be worth watching.

I taped it. I wasn't as thrilled with the show as you obviously were.  I think the back and forth between the cases worked, but there were just too many people to really be able to focus.

I knew the girl would be gone, she was horrible.

And I agree that the guy made a huge error (what was he thinking). But I have to admit, that there were so many guys who looked similar. So when Roy cut the guy (without really going back and explaining what mistake he made) I was not clear which guy was going. I had to go back and rewind my tape to realize the blunder he had made.

I will agree, that his reasoning (roy's) were good ones.  But I don't think the show will be too popular.  The cases just weren't that interesting.  And the preparations, fighting ... weren't exciting enough.

The idea is okay. But hopefully the cases and the interpersonal relationships will get better.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2005, 01:20:33 PM »

Unlike the West Coast, we've had our third day in a row of highs in the 70s with rainy/overcast skies. I am loving this after the inferno we've suffered through for the previous two weeks. I will be VERY sorry to see this end.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2005, 01:26:19 PM »

Spent the afternoon watching the rest of THE WOMAN IN RED. The transfer was really fine overall. I would have preferred a more saturated color design, but it looked fine. It had a Dolby Surround track which made Stevie Wonder's songs sound excellent. Gilda Radner had several hilarious bits as an office mate who makes trouble for Gene Wilder.

Charles Grodin played a charming gay man in this movie. Wilder didn't write much of anything to flesh out Grodin's character, but he still emerged as a likable fellow.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2005, 01:27:45 PM »

One of the nice things about some of Warners most recent DVDs of classic movies is that the covers of the DVDs were inspired by poster art used in the original campaigns. Nice to see those DVD covers.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »

Here's a nice piece of movie poster artwork, I think.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2005, 01:41:24 PM »

I did not get around to THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW though I think when I go back downstairs this is what I'll start the evening with. Don't know how far into it I'll get before I switch over to network TV, but we'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »

[sigh] more rain. . . .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2005, 02:42:30 PM »

Back from Grant's and Vinnie's.  We did a lovely remix of Opposites, and now I am pleased.  Then we loaded Together Again into Pro Tools at Vinnie's, and slapped some 'verb on it, and it sounds as good as it's going to sound, which is a damn sight better than the LP.  There's no fixing the ineptitude of the way the vocals (especially the group vocals) were recorded, but we've made it sound better.  

I shall now eat some food before I pass outski.

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2005, 03:12:25 PM »

Todays' the day I find out how much tax I need to pay.
Not much I hope. I wonder if there is way I can claim Fosca and Magnus as dependents and my CD collection (or at least Amazon.com)  as a registered charity.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »

Can you describe what it's like to watch it. I wonder if I would get hooked.  I know i am hooked to the canoe updates.  But I feel like I would bored out of my mind watching them do nothing for most of the time.  I think i would enjoy watching the interesting bits.

Btw, still no comment about what we saw between Maggie and James last night.  It made me think Maggie was much smarter than she's let on.  To me James is pretty smart, and if he thought that maggie was interrogating him like a cop, well it made me wonder if she is lying about being a nurse!

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT

Well, last night was interesting, I'm sure there is a lot of it that isn't. There are 4 cameras you can watch, either all at the same time or choose one. It's easier to hear what they are saying when you only listen to one. There are times when they cut to the fish tank and you don't know what's going on, sometimes for a couple seconds sometimes a lot longer.  Big Brother calls people into the diary room from time to time and makes comments, like "James please turn on your microphone" etc from time to time.  

I will say it wasn't as much fun to watch the tv broadcast after knowing as much as I did from the live feed.

Last night, they talked about the James and Maggie's conversation and Kaysar asked her about what she really did, indicating that there was speculation she was a cop based on her conversation with James. She didn't really answer, but her conversation with Kaysar implied that James may be or was a cop or something.  Not sure, if that's what she was sayiing. When she later asked James  in front of her group, what he does, he refused to answer and said "Maggie and I have an understanding about that" James and Maggie laughed while no one else quite got it.

Kaysar was talking to April a lot and to Maggie and others in one on one conversations. He's pretty much given up and he wants to leave with dignity.  The veto competition is over, James will most likely be off the block but it isn't clear who will go up. Most likely Janelle, but I'm guessing. Maggie and her group clearly have a plan and will follow it.

The real fun was Ivette being insensed with Janelle. She wanted to go tell her off etc. April and Beau were egging her on, Maggie and Jenn were trying to talk her out of it.  She was ranting and raving because Janelle and Howie were singing a very derogatory song clearly aimed at her while they were working out.  I don't know how that was resolved, but today Howie was singing it to Ivette and she was laughing and hugging him, so something must have happened after I went to bed.  

Last night all they talked about was strategy, who likes or doesn't like who etc. So much more info than you ever get on the tv show. It was pretty interesting. Today they were talking about a lot of not very interesting stuff. They did say that the best time to be a camera man would be 10:00 pm to 2:00 am, because that's when the most happens in the house.  I didn't stay up that late, but was interested in what I saw.  

Sara and James clearly don't care about anyone but Sara and James. They really have stabbed both groups in the back and I don't think they will last too long.  Ivette wants to be voted off next week so she doesn't have to be sequestered with Janelle (next week will be the last non jury member)

This afternoon, there was a lock out. While, I think, they were planning a surprise birthday party for Sarah. All were talking together except Kaysar, who was sitting nearby, but being quiet and Janelle who was laying in the sun on the other side of the back yard.

It cut to fish tank,so I quit watching.

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2005, 03:43:04 PM »

I taped it. I wasn't as thrilled with the show as you obviously were.  I think the back and forth between the cases worked, but there were just too many people to really be able to focus.

I knew the girl would be gone, she was horrible.

And I agree that the guy made a huge error (what was he thinking). But I have to admit, that there were so many guys who looked similar. So when Roy cut the guy (without really going back and explaining what mistake he made) I was not clear which guy was going. I had to go back and rewind my tape to realize the blunder he had made.

I will agree, that his reasoning (roy's) were good ones.  But I don't think the show will be too popular.  The cases just weren't that interesting.  And the preparations, fighting ... weren't exciting enough.

The idea is okay. But hopefully the cases and the interpersonal relationships will get better.

You're probably right. I'm a criminal defense lawyer and have tried a lot of cases, so it  is especially interesting to me.  Roy did say that the cases will get more difficult. Since they are real cases (probably both sides are getting $$ like People's Court) I can see waiting to get to more interesting stuff, but it won't be anything that serious - it would be foolish to have a serious case decided on a game show.....well, with the way people are today, I guess having it be foolish doesn't rule it out!  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 03:43:35 PM by Cillaliz »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2005, 04:28:54 PM »

This is poster for the Wolfgang Petersen version,

[BORING!!!]

The wave hasn't even hit the ship, and it's already tilting out of the water!  What happened?  Is Shelley Winters walking along the stern again?

::)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 04:30:37 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2005, 04:30:26 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »

I was watching Dogora, Monster from Space, but the disc froze up - has a big old scratch on it, so it will be going back from whence it came - amazon.  Have finally put in A Face in the Crowd and am watching that instead.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2005, 04:35:34 PM »

The Mail: I just received a parcel from DR George posted on July 25 - very efficient and wonderful packaging. (lol George). I am looking forward to excellent listening.  HHW does it again.

No arrival yet of the GH album though - and it was posted a week earlier I think!!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2005, 04:40:18 PM »

SCHMALTZ, baby, SCHMALTZ!
I found this over at the FoodNetwork site:
Schmaltz and Gribines:
This recipe uses the fat and skin from about 4 chickens. It will keep in your freezer. For even more flavorful schmaltz, add a few cloves garlic.
4 cups chicken fat and skin, cut into 1/2-inch pieces or smaller
Kosher salt
Pinch pepper
1 cup onion, sliced into rings about 1/8-inch thick
2 cloves garlic, minced, optional

Wash fat and skin well in a colander, and pat dry. Place in a heavy skillet, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, over low heat (you can turn heat up a bit once the fat has begun melting). When the fat starts to melt and gets slightly brown, add onions and garlic cloves, if using, and continue cooking until onions and cracklings are golden brown and crunchy. Remove from heat and let cool partially. Then strain over a bowl to remove onions and cracklings, and refrigerate them in a covered glass jar. Pour schmaltz into another jar, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: about 2 cups
Just the sort of food one can get sentimental over!

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2005, 05:00:15 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from my first rehearsal.... Whew!

Actually, it was quite painless.  We just ran two songs/scenes, and since the second scene was a reprise of the first song, I really only had to play/read/learn one song on the spot.  But things went very well, and there's still about two full weeks before they go into tech - so, there's plenty of time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2005, 05:02:48 PM »

...And I have to say that someone has truly been looking out and over for me again.  I got such a great "vibe" from everyone already.  It looks like a great fit all around.

And it turns out that we all have a bunch of common friends (and enemies).  ;)  So, we'll be sharing plenty of stories - all sordid and scandalous, of course - over the next couple of weeks.  Well, we actually started sharing already over dinner.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2005, 05:03:59 PM »

...And I have to say, that the production staff, in general, is pretty easy on the eyes too.

:P

Thank you, DR elmore!

;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 05:04:50 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2005, 05:05:36 PM »

We have a houseguest.

Domino, the Dalmatian that we found roaming through the neighborhood some time back, has returned.  His master doesn't pay enough attention, and doesn't care that Domino is running around loose.  It's really a shame, because Domino is a well-behaved dog, considering the lack of care he gets.  He's rather thin, and there's scabbing on the top of his head from what might have been fleas.

So, der Brucer decided that some rescuing was necessary.  We currently have Domino in the back yard, with most of our troupe trying to figure out why this stranger has been let into our midst.  Most of them don't have any problems with Domino, but he's unfixed...just like Marty.  

Exactly what is going to happen next, I have no idea.  Hopefully Domino's master will show up again.  Or maybe not.   :-\

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »

We spent the afternoon attending the final performance of Summer Youth Theatre's Anything Goes.  Students from high schools all around us get together to do a musical every summer and it's usually quite enjoyable.  This year was no exception, but for the severely miscast Reno Sweeney, who seemed to be (badly) channeling Mae West.  They also had the Angels dolled up to look like Renee Zelweger in the movie Chicago, but at least they were trim and could sing and dance.  The guys who played Billy and  Moonface were both from Frankin High School and were excellent.  Friends of DS Rob's played Sir Evelyn Oakleigh and Elisha J. Whitney; they did well, too.  Rob encountered Reno in the lobby afterward and said, "Up close, she was...imposing."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up