Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: EARS OF CORN  (Read 26951 times)

Ben

Re:EARS OF CORN
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 04:56:17 AM »

Yes, Tom, Johnny Mathis has left the building. It took a while to get here since there were so many posts from last night but I'm here in the present.

Happy Day to Der Brucer!!!

Thoughts, Vibes and Hugs to OzDerek!!!

Don't have any ideas about the book questions yet.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

And that took us to page 2

I was locked out of my office building this morning. I come in at 6am and when I arrived the front door was locked. Tenants don't have keys for that front door because there is an attendant. Well, the attendant was stuck in one of the elevators. We don't know how long she had been in there but we (by 6am there were about 5 of us waiting for entry) could see from the elevator camera that she was yelling into the emergency microphone trying to get help. It took about a half hour for anyone to respond. Someone finally got in to the building from the back way and came down in another elevator, opened the front door and then proceeded to try and open the stuck elevator. I'm glad we're on the 3rd floor and I can get in and out by the stairs (it's an 18 story office building). She was eventually released. What a way to start your morning!

Ben

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2005, 05:04:21 AM »

Jose, the Westway Diner on 42nd and 10th is gone (you may already know that). The entire block has been demolished. Westway has kind of resurfaced now next the the Little Shubert on the corner of 42nd and Dyer Avenue (that little street between 9th Avenue and 10th Avenue) in a fancy new building. Diners all over New York are going upscale. It's hard to get diner food at decent prices anymore. A bowl of soup and a cheap sandwich suddenly ends up costing $10. Ouch.

Oh, well. Back to work for me.

Later, gaters.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 05:04:35 AM »

I am my own frenzy!!!

Ben

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 05:04:56 AM »

And with this post (2290) I leave you for a while.

Jason

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2005, 05:40:07 AM »

Dallas Howard/Dallas Roberts...I knew something didn't add up. I thought Bryce Dallas HOWARD was great in "The Village." I was SUPPOSED to see Dallas ROBERTS in THE GLASS MENAGERIE. Thanks for reminding me who is who! (I easily get confused. Jose knows that). :)

DR FJL: I don't think either the Admin Assistant or the Physician's Assistant will be visiting HHW.com, even though it is the most popular internet site in the world. And if they find out...well, I guess they should be flattered that someone has a crush on them. Right...?

And now I'm off to work...

FJL

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2005, 05:51:04 AM »

DR Jason - I must admit I've been shocked by a couple of people I never would have thought would have found the discussion part of this site having mentioned that they read such and such that I wrote in my postings here.  Both happened to be BMI Workshop people who are just lurkers, though, and maybe BMI Workshop people are more likely to lurk here than others.  You're right, though, the people you wrote about should be flattered, of course.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2005, 06:00:20 AM »

DR Ben -  The restaurant that was demolished was actually the Kraft Restaurant, which had been at the corner of 42nd & 10th, and has relocated as you described to the space next to the Little Shubert.

The Westway Diner is still alive and well, on 9th Avenue between 43rd & 44th, catering to stars of stage and stage.  We've spotted Charlotte Rae, Kevin Cahoon, Phillip Bosco (who - I kid you not - ordered a glass of milk with chocolate syrup when he was sitting at a table next to us, don't know if they actually used Bosco or if it was U-bet syrup, or why we were eavesdropping on his order).  We've taken to be so lazy in the heat of the summer that we've actually ordered delivery from Westway instead of walking the massive block and a half there, so who knows what celebs we may have missed?  But we love the Westway, used the Kraft only in a pinch even though it was only steps away from home.  (We're at 43rd & 10th.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2005, 06:07:55 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR derBrucer!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2005, 06:09:21 AM »

Many lovely posts yesterday.

LOL DRJANE....maybe BeeGee will come to your house and ring your doorbell.

I suppose I would like to write a book (expanding on my internet biography) of She Who Must Not Be Mentioned Because She Is Boring to Some Here at HHW.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2005, 06:26:35 AM »

Books we're writing or would like to write?  Do books of musicals count?  If so, and I can say this because I've already shown the work in progress to so many people, I'm writing a horror-spoof musical with the tentative title DON'T LET THE DEAD BUGS BITE, about a slew of mysterious deaths of exterminators in a big city which are being traced to people who seem to be reincarnations of bugs that have been juiced.  As a musical, it's meant to be campy fun, but I'm getting feedback that it's more suited to a real horror film with traces of humor.  

Ben

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2005, 06:29:23 AM »

FJL, ahh, yes, you are correct. Since I live downtown, in Chelsea, I get easily confused, like Jason ;-) It is the Kraft Diner that has moved. I thought something was a little off since Westway usually refers to something along the West Side Highway and the Kraft was not that close to the Hudson River and the West Side Highway. I have seen Westway Diner on my bike rides along the West Side but I have never been inside.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2005, 07:04:12 AM »

I must catsup with the Vibes and Wishes:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR TD  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BEN AND ANTHONY  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][glow=LIME GREEN,2,300]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  VIBRANT VIBES OF HEALTH FOR DR OZDEREK  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/glow][/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR DER BRUCER! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=LEFT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  MARVELOUS MONDAY VIBES FOR ALL  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2005, 07:10:16 AM »

Wow, BK is correct. We have a plethora of birthdays coming up including regular posters and just lurkers! It will be a cake month here at HHW

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2005, 07:24:07 AM »

I think I've mentioned this before, but I've always wanted to write a book about the singers who dubbed the singing voices for the stars during the golden age of Hollywood musicals. There were quite a few of them, and besides an actual listing identifying who sang what for whom in which film, I thought doing some mini-biographies on the artists letting us see what they looked like and what their careers were about about from ghosting for the stars might have been interesting.

But I never had time to fully research it during my work years, and I'm not sure the market for such a book would make it worth the trouble. Also, many of those ghosts are also gone now, so no interview possibilities there.

And frankly, now that I have time to do such a project, I'm just flat-out lazy about doing anything that takes such concentrated effort as writing a book. Not for me any more, I'm afraid.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2005, 07:24:30 AM »

And a very happy birthday to der Brucer.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2005, 07:26:35 AM »

I missed yesterday's TOD, and I'm sure that everyone awaits with bated breath to learn of my recent reading material:

Book most recently read -- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Currently reading -- 1776 -- dropped this one in the middle to read Harry Potter, now I've gone back to it.  DR SWW, did you finish it?

Next book -- Breakfast at Tiffany's -- never read it and I'm curious on how it compares to the movie.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2005, 07:28:45 AM »

I have begun my slow and methodical trek back through the three days of notes and psots while I was gone. Looks like folks were very busy during my days away from HHW since there weren't any seriously huge frenzy days. That will make my job easier in trying to catch up.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2005, 07:29:43 AM »

The Book That I Would Write:

Broadway Babylon -- The Seedy, Sordid, Torrid Untold Tales of the Great White Way!
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2005, 07:32:53 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, sleep!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2005, 07:33:43 AM »

The Book That I Would Write:

Broadway Babylon -- The Seedy, Sordid, Torrid Untold Tales of the Great White Way!

Dear Diary, ...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2005, 07:34:05 AM »

Happy Birthday DR DerBrucer!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2005, 07:37:06 AM »

You will be my Number One source for the book, DR Jose :)
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2005, 07:42:32 AM »

As for books:

Non-fiction - I'm still sort of in the process of sketching out an audition handbook for singers.  Yes, there are many books out of the market on the subject, but, frankly, I find them a bit academic - and usually geared toward academic auditions.

I still remember coming up to NYC when I was 21 and playing my first set of New York auditions - just how "informal" it all was.  Yes, there were nerves galore in the hallways, but no one really dress-dressed up.  The people behind the table were rather quite friendly.  And eating Chinese food.  The audition hall itself was nowhere near as glamorous as some of the "textbooks" make them out to be.  Etc., etc., etc.

It's not that I find the existing tomes on the market useless, I just find that a lot of them don't have some of the simple, practical information and instruction that a singer should know before entering an audition room.  There seems to be so much time spent on the process of learning their music for the audition, but not enough time on how to prepare the actual physical sheet music they'll be putting in front of the pianist.  Etc., etc., etc.

We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2005, 07:43:47 AM »

You will be my Number One source for the book, DR Jose :)

This book is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to real people and events is purely coincidental.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2005, 07:45:26 AM »

As for a work of fiction... I've always been interested in writing a very tragic love story.  Not sordid, just tragic.  And just because.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2005, 07:45:29 AM »

Just finished Friday's notes and posts. Yep, double knits were my taboo as well, but as bk said, that WAS about all you could find for a number of years.

I did NOT ever buy a leisure suit, however, nor a nehru jacket. Had LOTS of velour; I liked it.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2005, 07:46:30 AM »

And thanks to DR George for the good travel wishes. A little belated for me to thank you at this point, but I do. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2005, 07:49:17 AM »

DR Ben and FJL - Thank you both for your clarification and correction regarding the Westway Diner.  ;)

However, didn't the Westway spruce up a bit recently?  The last time I went in there, it looked like they had done a major remodeling job - new floor, booths, etc.  Even the facade looked new.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2005, 07:52:28 AM »

Der Brucer sends his thanks and love to everyone!

And, dear DR Hisaka, we both love your addition of DLD to our vocabulary!   :-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up