Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: EARS OF CORN  (Read 26089 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:EARS OF CORN
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2005, 07:52:35 AM »

...And then there was my first and only visit to The Brooklyn Diner a couple of years ago.  (Wow, that would be about nine years ago by now!)  $10.00 for a bowl of chicken soup?!?!?!?  Thankfully, I was up there with a theatre company, and they were picking up the tab, but that still didn't ease the sticker shock.  I can't imagine what the prices run there now.  Especially at dinner!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2005, 07:55:18 AM »

Tonight's dinner, after I return from work and der B returns from tending the grandlads, will be roast leg of lamb.  I'm about to get it started, not the actual roasting but the preparation: slivers of garlic and rosemary will be inserted into the flesh, and the whole will be slathered with Dijon mustard.  We'll dine on this with roasted beets, roasted carrots, and roasted baby red potatoes.

The duck will have to wait.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2005, 07:55:19 AM »

Well... I should start getting ready for rehearsal.  The sleep was good (I hope), but sleeping in was not.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2005, 07:56:58 AM »

Tonight's dinner, after I return from work and der B returns from tending the grandlads, will be roast leg of lamb.  I'm about to get it started, not the actual roasting but the preparation: slivers of garlic and rosemary will be inserted into the flesh, and the whole will be slathered with Dijon mustard.  We'll dine on this with roasted beets, roasted carrots, and roasted baby red potatoes.

The duck will have to wait.   :-\

Don't forget the parsley!  And lots of freshly coarse-ground pepper!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2005, 08:00:17 AM »

If we're adding books to musicals, I'd love to write the book for a revue of Dorothy Fields' songs.  Getting through all the styles of her composing partners would be tricky, of course...

For fiction, how about the story of a thief who runs around town assembling the ingredients for an incredible feast?  Yes, it would be a crookbook!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2005, 08:00:47 AM »

Congratulations to DRHISAKA on being an HHW God(dess)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2005, 08:00:49 AM »

Time to get into the kitchen!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2005, 08:09:29 AM »

Our third show was the 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, and it was, for me, the best show of the trip. A magnificently imaginative, screamingly funny, and sublimely touching original work (much like AVENUE Q last year).

I really love these shows that are unlike anything you've ever seen before. It really MADE the trip special, and the Drama Desk Award for Best Ensemble was wholly deserved! Every member of the cast was unique and wonderful.

I really can't say enough good things about this show. If you're going to be in NYC and have a chance to see this show (standing room at the performance we attended; we had stupendous seats on the second row), GO SEE IT!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2005, 08:15:31 AM »

I have to say that Friday in NYC was one of the hottest and steamiest seeming to me ever. (This was the first time in all my years of going to NYC that I've been in August.)

We went to the Empire State Building on Friday since none of us had been since we were very young, and when we left there, I walked back up 5th Avenue to the Museum of TV & Radio. I had to stop in at Barnes & Noble to get in out of the heat. I was sopping wet, and I don't usually sweat much. If it rained, I missed it. The moisture I felt was self-induced.

Saturday and Sunday were much more comfortable in comparison.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2005, 08:18:41 AM »

Back to the Broadway show report for a second: The biggest surprise for me was that I laughed MORE at PUTNAM COUNTY than I did at SPAMALOT, and I did NOT expect that at all.

(And I laughed long and loud at SPAMALOT, so PUTNAM COUNTY is really, really hysterical.)

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2005, 08:31:33 AM »

MattH, sounds like you had a wonderful NY trip! I am so looking forward to my NY trip in October!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2005, 08:35:03 AM »

And a big ole happy birthday to Der Brucer, who I sure wish would post more often, because he always makes me laugh!

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »

MattH, sounds like you had a wonderful NY trip! I am so looking forward to my NY trip in October!!!

Thanks, Mike. And your trip will be here before you know it. When I ordered the tickets for the show back in the early spring, I thought August would be a long time coming. Instead, it was here before I knew it.

Of course, we'll want to read all about it when you get back. Will it be your first trip to NYC?

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2005, 08:40:40 AM »

And I will repost my belated birthday greeting to TD, only this time I will do it properly!

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2005, 08:41:53 AM »

Yep, it will be my first visit to New York! In fact I have never been any further east then Bend, Oregon! LOL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2005, 09:21:36 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DerBrucer!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2005, 09:27:19 AM »

JRand, anyone who thinks Allison Hayes is boring has evidently never seen her!

I myself have been awaiting the return of the Allison Hayes picture of the week!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2005, 09:44:41 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I must have missed the part about someone saying Allison Hayes couldn't be mentioned.  Someone enlighten me.  We all have our "things" - I would not be happy if I couldn't mention Miss Leslie Parrish, for example.

AOL is down, Internet-wise.  They are not long for this world.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2005, 09:59:40 AM »

I had a senior moment and forgot to announce the release.  Tomorrow then.

Jason

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2005, 10:05:43 AM »

Holy merde, I thought I'd never get here! Our internet has been screwy at the office and, if you can believe it, HHW.com was one of the unlucky victims. Weather.com was, too.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DER BRUCER!!

I'm actually considering writing a book. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years. Basically it'd be about my years working at the Met and all of the crazies who come in and check their coats. And the crazies who DON'T check their coats. People have this idea that the Metropolitan Opera House is the height of international cultural sophistication. Once you've seen a naked Asian man running from the fountain in the plaza up to the Grand Tier before he is tackled by security, you start to think otherwise.

And then there was the woman who yelled "F**K YOU!" at me from across the opera house foyer as she ran up the grand staircase in her evening gown and heels. That's class for ya...

DR FJL: I'm not worried that the Physician's Assistant reads this here website. He doesn't seem like a theatrically-minded sort of fellow. And the Admin Assistant doesn't seem like the type who spends great deals of time online, so I think I'm alright. :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2005, 10:09:31 AM »

Dan the Man, I want to read Broadway Babylon! Write it!

MattH, in your singer-dubbers book don't forget one of my favourite singers of all time, Buddy Clark, who used to dub Jack Haley and others.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2005, 10:09:37 AM »

We have many, many lurkers here.  And I can't blame them - always interesting stuff being posted here, with none of the usual bitch-fests.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2005, 10:21:29 AM »

My AOL is working just fine today, but I hope that you are able to access your AOL e-mail BK, 'cause I just sent you some important contact info.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2005, 10:32:44 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES TO DR DER BRUCER!! HOPE YOUR BIRTHDAY IS JUST DUCKY!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2005, 10:33:59 AM »

On the subject of voice dubbing - A dear performer named Ludmilla Ilieva (some people may know of her as Do-Re-Milla) did a cabaret show called "Hidden Voices" which was a collection of songs that were dubbed by other people in the movies, along with some stories behind the dubbings.   She's a friend, so I am a little biased  :) , but in quite a few cases, I actually preferred Milla's renditions to the ones that ended up on film.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Der Brucer!

Btw, I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but Adrien Brody is NOT in THE VILLAGE, that is Joaquin Phoenix.  I actually really enjoyed this movie.  I was actually scared!  And unlike THE FORGOTTEN, i found the explanation very believable.

Jason

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2005, 10:36:13 AM »

Is that Do-Re-Milla of "All That Chat" fame??

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

Re: ice cream

My favorite flavor is strawberry shortcake.  But i cannot remember if it is Ben and Jerry's (anybody know).  

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2005, 10:41:39 AM »

Guess what? I also had corn on the cob last night (and this was before i read about BK having some). I would definitely say take the husks off BEFORE. In fact here most people seem to take them off at the store (they leave huge garbage cans).  I usually cook mine for 10 minutes.

FJL

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2005, 10:42:08 AM »

DR Jason - Yes, that's the Do-Re-Milla.

She's a pistol.  I met her at an Actors Fund benefit concert.  She was dressed to the nines, and stepped on the elevator and said loudly and generally "Are there any chatterati here?"  Lots of chutzpah.  I admire that in a woman. :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up