Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CELL PHONE COLD TURKEY LURKEY DAY  (Read 30744 times)

td

• td
Re:CELL PHONE COLD TURKEY LURKEY DAY
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 06:31:48 AM »

FOR DEREK
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2005, 06:31:50 AM »

I think Derek's wish would be that we all register as organ donors. He was given the gift of four extra years of life. I spoke to Derek's sister Maureen this evening. I've not met his other siblings - Judith and Jamie. I will be sure to pass on the feelings of the DRs here and to let the family know how Derek appreciated the goodness and support he found from this worldwide network of friends.

I have been a proponent of Organ Donation for years, Vixdad and Vixgrandma & Vixgrandpa and I are all listed as organ donors on on driver's licenses.

My mom had a bumper sticker on her last car that read

Don't bring your organs to Heaven, Heaven knows we need them here.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

td

• td
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2005, 06:32:24 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RON!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2005, 06:45:36 AM »

Greetings all.

MY, what a plethora of posts to catch up upon.

First and foremost, I am so sorry to hear of OzDerek's passing.  Sad news indeed.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2005, 06:47:23 AM »

I hate cellphones too.  It seems all of NYC is a phonebooth (good for Superman, bad for everyone else).  The subway I take goes above ground for about three minutes and it seems like half the people either make or get calls.  Now they are going to wire the subway stations for cellphone reception.  These stations are noisy enough without the added babble of people talking on the phone and cellphones ringing.  What is worse is that they are blaming it on "national security".

I am currently listening to the new CD release of 20 singles made by Ethel Merman in 1950-51 (some as duets with either Ray Bolger or Jimmy Durante).  What were the A&R people thinking?  Besides some show tunes from roles the Merm didn't play ("Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend") these are silly novelty tunes that totally waste her talents ("If I Knew You Were Coming I'd have Baked a Cake").  She even does two Hawaiian songs complete with ukulele accompaniment!  This is a step below "The Ethel Merman Disco Album" and I love every campy minute of it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2005, 06:53:00 AM »

I really couldn't post other chatty-cathy tidbits along with my previous post.

The happiest of birthdays to DR Ron Pulliam.  The "name-ology" you posted made Dipsy Pottytush laugh and chortle.

For BB6 fans:  I was pleased with the results last night.  Very pleased.  As for former housemate Jenny:  Lose the 'tude!  you were the FIRST one in the jury house.  I'm thinking that America loathes you!

DR Ben:  A) thank you for the new avatar!  (Honestly and truly, I could never figure out if you were left or right, so to speak, in your previous one!)  and B)  I fondly recall Bagels on the Square from my NYU/Village-living days.  Even once I moved back to Brooklyn, I sometimes would pick up a dozen to freeze, and be glad if 8 or 10 made it home after my ride on what was then the D train.  And, Jane, ironically Bagels on the Square was the first place I had ever TASTED an egg bagel.  They were big, chewy, luscious and SUPERB!  And just turn the corner to get some wonderful italian pastries at some terrific bakeries....

BTW (bite the whale, apparently, in internet speak), when is your walking eating tour scheduled for the NY gathering.....?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2005, 06:53:51 AM »

Welcome back, DR WFO.

I too detest cellular phones.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2005, 07:00:23 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Ron Pulliam.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2005, 07:00:57 AM »

I am so sorry to hear about OzDerek's passing.  Thank you Tom for letting us know and my condolences to you.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2005, 07:01:57 AM »

I am rather attached to my cellphone and don't know whether I can go cold turkey.  I will however, try a harm reduction approach and limit its use today.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2005, 07:02:19 AM »

Happy Birthday Ron!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2005, 07:03:22 AM »

Catching up from last night.  From now on I will answer to either TPunk or Tootsie Dippindoodle.

Jason

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2005, 07:15:46 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR RON PULLIAM!!

All my love,

Snooty GizzardButt

Ben

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2005, 07:16:41 AM »

Tootsie Dippindoodle sounds like some kind of savory snack. A bag of crisps or something like that. I think I'll indulge in a bag of Tootsie Dippindoodles with my sandwich

Of course, there are Dippin' Dots, not to be confused with savory snacks. Dippin' Dots will freeze your tongue but savory snacks fill the salt craving.

Jason

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2005, 07:18:55 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of DR OzDerek. I just recently learned of his story and assumed that his health was improving from recent accounts. My heart goes out to his family and friends...

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2005, 07:19:03 AM »

I am very, very sorry to hear about OzDerek. What a sweet guy he was and it was always nice to see him here at HHW. TomovOz, I am glad that you brought him to HHW, and my condolences to you on losing a wonderful friend.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2005, 07:20:55 AM »

On a more positive note, a very happy birthday to DR Ron Pulliam!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2005, 07:22:18 AM »

TPunk, JRand and I must be related....just call me Funky Dippindoodle!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2005, 07:22:53 AM »

I only use my cell phone while driving or walking around the mall..otherwise I leave it turned off.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2005, 07:25:39 AM »

God morning, all!  The depression continues; I slept very late and now my mind is reeling from the news about Derek.  I will will miss his emails of tasteless jokes and warm wishes.  I will miss him on the site very much, and  I hope his exit was peaceful and painless.  I'll go over to Holy Trinity shortly and pray for him.
TOD:  
  CD:  Mozart Requiem (for Derek)
  DVD:  No idea
  VCR:  You all know it!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR RON PULLIAM!!!!
[/color]
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2005, 07:26:55 AM »

Sadly, DR Ben, the Dippin' Dots store for which I had such an affinity has closed. No more Dots for Snooty... :(

Jason

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2005, 07:28:38 AM »

DR Elmore: The Mozart Requiem is very appropriate. I think I'll give it a listen when I get home in memorium.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2005, 07:29:20 AM »

But seriously, I use my cell phone mainly if I need to make a long distance call or for emergencies...as with all things in life if a person simply minds their manners when it comes to cell phone use then all is well.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2005, 07:33:25 AM »

I have been watching a lot of CNN this week.  And I agree with many other DRs, it is truly heartwrenching.  It is terrible that most of those suffering are either minorities or poor, or elderly or sick.

Anderson Cooper (former host of The Mole) and now host on CNN has really caught my eye.  Not only is he in MISS going through people's homes with them.  But he is also the only CNN correspondent who I saw really take the elected officials to task.  HE was speaking to the senator from i believe Louisiana.  And when he asked her if she thought the government was doing enough (she said something like "there is a place to call people out, but it is not now") he totally tore into her (but in a nice way).  He said that he was there, and people's lives were ruined, and he was walking over dead bodies, and that the gov couldn't even get those alive food/water.  He was so emotional (maybe too much for a reporter), but i loved it. He is the most real reporter I've seen doing coverage.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2005, 07:34:32 AM »

Oh, my. Ninth Avenue in the 50s is changing yet again. If Dippin' Dots can't stay open what will go into that space? The New York real estate bubble continues to expand and when it bursts it won't be pretty.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2005, 07:34:39 AM »

So very, very sorry to read about DR OzDerek's passing. He was always a positive presence on the forum, and I will miss him very much.

And thank you, DR Tomovoz, for keeping us informed of his status during these arduous months for him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2005, 07:35:16 AM »

'morning.

Sad news today about the passing of DR OzDerek.  He will be greatly missed.  DR Tomovoz, please pass our thoughts and prayers along to Derek's sisters.  Thank you for sharing news of Derek throughout his too-short stay here.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2005, 07:38:02 AM »

I am also very sad to read of DR OzDerek's passing.  DR TomOvOz please pass on our sincere condolences to his family.  This is very sad.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »

My cellphone gets very little use. Since I have a dial-up internet connection, occasionally people get in touch with me while I'm home using the cellphone since the land line is busy.

I do use it to call long distance but that's infrequent, too.

If I'm running around town to the grocery store or shopping, I leave it at home. Anyone who needs to call me can wait until I get back home.

I will carry it with me on trips out of town whether it's a vacation or commuting to do a show out of town just for safety sake in the car. I do not drive with the phone plastered to my ear as I am afraid I will wreck the car. If someone calls while I'm driving, I get off it as quickly as I can.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2005, 07:41:13 AM »

Yes, DR Ben, I like your new avatar as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up