Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 27946 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2003, 07:42:13 AM »

DR Lulu - and you with a Joey Heatherton picture should so much as talk?  ;D

Thanks DR Noel - hmmmmmmmmm......interesting.  Let me think about this awhile.  I may be passing AREA 51 information along to someone if that is all right. :D

DR MATTH - I think this is Annette's Kansas City photo - in other words, she's gone about as fer as she kin go, so don't fret or worry.  :P

So many wonderful postings and viewings and listenings.  I took my GYPSY CD and compiled the Rosalind Russell work tracks followed by the soundtrack cut with Lisa Kirk - and the result is very interesting.  Rosalind Russell was so beautiful - and of course she left her hospital bed after a mastectomy to come in for the recordings and was just a few months into recovery when she filmed the movie.  ::)

And her Hildy Johnson in His Girl Friday is definitive working girl film acting.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2003, 07:43:04 AM »

Good Friday morning!

DVD: Finished up the YOU BET YOUR LIFE lost episodes DVDs and am now starting a 2 DVD pack of YOU BET YOUR LIFE put out by one of the budget DVD companies. No extras on this one but 14 more hilarious episodes to watch!!!

CD: 3 CD set of Shirley Temple..songs from all of her movies, including those sung by actors other then young Ms. Temple.

VHS: Taped episodes of EXTREME ELIMINATION CHALLENGE, and episode of MAVERICK guest starring my fave William Reynolds, and a documentary off of the Travel Network about Southern California's MUSCLE BEACH.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2003, 07:43:13 AM »

DR Lulu  --  I loved all of the wonderful stuff in your post;  I also admire a lot of Harold Lloyd's work, and I've been lucky enough to get to know his granddaughter, and also restore the pipe organ in his Benedict Canyon estate "Greenacres."

I still think that Les Paul was a very talented musician, who used the medium of recording like no one else had up to that time.  I have emulated some of his multi-track, overlay techniques over the years.

And having a 17 year old boy write you a kind and sensitive note.......well, let's just say that a number of people would trade places with you.  And of course, I mean that in a very caring way, of course!

;)

By the way, please tell me the name of the person's picture on your post?  I think I know, but I don't trust my eyes with a fairly small picture.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2003, 07:44:06 AM »

DR Emily - yes you are essential in several places!  I am sending good vibes for an END to the strike!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

LOL DR MBarnum, what a funny smilie!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 07:45:00 AM by JRand53 »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2003, 07:49:11 AM »

I have to go start the day in Ernest now....oops, in earnest now !!

I'll try to check in later, so play nice in the living room, and remember to tidy up the place before lithe & sinewy BK comes home from the Steam Factory.  And don't pee on the floor.

8)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2003, 07:50:22 AM »

I'm hungry and I HAVE had breakfast! Too early for lunch! Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2003, 07:54:19 AM »

DR MBarnum, my favorite Shirley is "You've Got to S-M-I-L-E" from STOWAWAY. It was usued infamously under the main credits (and end credits) for MYRA BRECKINRIDGE, but it's such a great little song. I also like most of the ones she does in LITTLE MISS BROADWAY and "I Love to Walk in the Rain" from JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

The usual suspects for her "Animal Crackers" and "Good Ship" I've heard too much to enjoy any more.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2003, 07:55:33 AM »

DR MATTH - Just Around the Corner, with lively and fun work from Jack Haley and Joan Davis, right?

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2003, 08:00:08 AM »

And regarding yesterdays posts about karma, I just have to chime in on the subject. Doesn't bother me one iota if people talk about karma, getting karma, giving karma, or being upset about losing karma. I have joked about it on several occasions myself and certainly never dreamed it would upset anyone  :o  

But then, I also like using smilies and talking about reality shows!!

Frankly I usually never notice how much karma I have anyway...until yesterday when I got a case of karma envy!  ;)

Anyway, I think that when some of the DRs have rallied to give another DR karma it was sort of like giving hugs to that person. And I think that is rather thoughtful. However, your mileage may vary.

Ok, my rant is over now lets party!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:04:06 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2003, 08:05:14 AM »

And JRand53, I have never seen you looking so vivacious!  :o

Ben

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2003, 08:06:57 AM »

DR MG: We will head out to Long Island on Wednesday afternoon (we have a shortened day at work) for Thanksgiving. We usually go out there anyway but we will defintely be there this year since we will be across the pond on Christmas. His mother said she's looking forward to a low-key holiday but it will be a quiet Christmas on the Isle of Long.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2003, 08:08:15 AM »

Joan Davis was in JUST AROUND THE CORNER, but Jack Haley wasn't. He was in REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM and POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL. Charles Farrell was in CORNER.

Ben

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2003, 08:11:21 AM »

Oh, I sit here trying to write a report about my trip. Since I talked to everyone involved it seems to be redundant, but I must do what I must do. And since it will take probably a day to distill and write, it keeps me from other greenbar printouts that need some work (nothing high priority luckily). It also means that I can take a couple more breaks than usual and surf over here to check out our eriudite and informative membership.

Back to Report Land via Microsoft Word.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2003, 08:12:16 AM »

Matt, I think that my favorite of the Shirley Temple's is STAND UP AND CHEER, which has some great songs in it, although the majority of them are not sung by Shirley. But you do have John Boles, Dick (Nick) Foran, and even Aunt Jemima!

I do very much enjoy Shirley's earliest films like BABY TAKE A BOW and THE LITTLEST REBEL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2003, 08:14:09 AM »

Right DR MATT - I just checked, it was Bert Lahr as Joan's partner.....how could I have made such a mistake?  

Thank you, DRMBarnum.  And you know of course that pajama parties lead to heavy petting which leads to MURDER!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:15:10 AM by JRand53 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2003, 08:16:55 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Morning![/move]

Ah, the "joys" of sinuses!  UGH!

Well, I allowed myself to sleep in - and I even think I slept through both alarms - which I didn't turn off last night before heading to bed.  I have to spend a good chunk of time today going through a box of odds and ends - and ends and odds - that I've accumulated over the past few weeks - things that I've been too busy to really concentrate on and sort through: mail, bills, cards, bills, invitations, bills, pictures, bills... oh, and bills!  -You get the picture.  I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on everything - thanks to being able to pay everything over the internet lately - and I'm hoping I don't find an errant and truant slip at the bottom of the box.  -Wow, that was quite the run-on sentence.  Other than that, I just have the show tonight - Press Opening followed by another party.   :)

Now let's what this does... Hmm....

COOL!

Well, I also need to head to CVS and pick up some Tylenol Sinus - I think part of this "stuff" is from all the usual theatre dust - and the fact that part of set dressing consists of real tree branches.

As for the weekly media check... ask me next week... Everytime I've gone back to Richmond that past few Mondays, the same pile of DVDs has been sitting next to my DVD player, and the pile of CDs yet to be played continues to grow - damn those Buy 1-Get 3 Free + Free Shipping sales from BMG.  *It's amazing what you can find on there if you do some creative searching.  But I did go over to a friend's house a few weeks and watched the new DVD of "What's Up Doc?"... Still makes me laugh, and I don't think I had watched it since I've become an "adult" - I think the last time I saw it was a network TV presentation sometime in the mid-80s!  At least now I can appreciate Ryan O'Neal in those white boxer shorts.  -Oh, that's right, this a family site...  ;D

-And now if I can just figure out how to upload my pic... I keep getting the "image is too large" error.

Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2003, 08:18:25 AM »

Let's see - Jane and Jay both had the Potato Leek soup to start.  I thought the soup might leak all over the table but apparently I misunderstood the nature of the soup.  We must never understand the nature of the soup, dear readers.  Jane had a sesame crusted salmon thing served over potato pancakes, which she said was lusciously luscious, and Jay had the Sweetbreads, which he said were sweetly sweet.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2003, 08:22:16 AM »

Well, let's try this... I mentioned it yesterday....
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2003, 08:25:05 AM »

I just looked at my avatar (that sounds like a guru of some kind). We're standing in front of the very pool table in Long Island where that picture was taken. Perhaps in honor of that, Anthony and I will play pool over the Turkey Day holiday. We also have many tapes to watch, including Relative Values (DR Francois, I'll let you know what I think), Harry Potter 2, Ant may want to catch up on his Will and Grace (there are three episodes he hasn't seen), I taped Cleopatra (I think it's either 1913 or 1923) from Turner this past Sunday, plus we have another couple of silents from Turner taped a few months ago, one I think is called The Blue Kimono and the other is about the automobile. We will also raid the Long Island library looking for varied and sundried CDs that pique our interest.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2003, 08:25:25 AM »

Shirley and Lionel Barrymore trying to steal the picture from one another. My lord, how wonderful in THE LITTLE COLONEL! CAPTAIN JANUARY used to make me cry and so did HEIDI. I'm just a sucker for Shirley, but thank god they weren't able to use her in THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2003, 08:25:55 AM »

MusicGuy: WOW.  How cool that you've restored the pipe organ at Greenacres.  So the estate is still around?  My hubby wondered about that just last night, when Suzanne Lloyd mentioned it in passing.  

Yes, I love Les Paul and Mary Ford's stuff.  Hap-hap-happy time music. :)

The tiny picture accompanying my posts is, as Jrand noticed, Joey Heatherton, '60s starlet and kook.

Jrand: Actually, I was referring to your STEAM photo in my earlier post.   But my comments could sorta make sense regarding the Annette (that IS Annette, right?) photo, too.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ben

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2003, 08:26:35 AM »

Let's see, we have:

BK, Jose, Lyn (AKA Music Guy), Jay and I don't know who the other two people are. I forget if they were mentioned in the post yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:26:50 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2003, 08:27:20 AM »

I do not like the ANGLE of that photo.

I received the following query and I'm hoping one of you can find the answer so I can pass it along:

Do you know if there is a recording of “Overture to West Side Story, Adapted for Symphony Orchestra by Maurice Peress?

Has anyone misunderstood the nature of soup lately?  I sometimes misunderstand the nature of people - for example, this morning I found out a little something that baffled me but good.  Perhaps I'll share it with you later, for I must ready myself for the work environment.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2003, 08:27:27 AM »

Jose, if you want to send me the pic you want downsized, I'll be glad to do it for you.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2003, 08:29:54 AM »

If our esteemed BK were not already a Global Moderator he would most certainly sometime today attain the status of HHW God as he approaches his own 500th post (though with years of Notes posting he has certainly passed that mark and many more).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:30:15 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2003, 08:29:54 AM »

DR JOSE - a community theatre production of Camelot opened in Indianapolis last night.  :P

Here is the review!  Sounds like somebody had the same idea!

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/094621-9994-062.html

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2003, 08:31:31 AM »

Joey Heatherton, co-star of that monumental meeting of two battling screen divas Bette Davis and Susan Hayward: WHERE LOVE HAS GONE. How did she get out alive?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2003, 08:35:25 AM »

Is anyone else now imagining the Green Acres theme song being played on pipe organ?

Vic Mizzy, right?  Or was it DeVol?

Please, yes, lovely: send Area 51 info to anyone who might be interested.  I'd love to be investigated by Agent Scully.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2003, 08:38:18 AM »

Sorry, bk  ::)

And as for the line up - from left to right...

Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo, DR Jay, DR MusicGuy, DR Jose, and, of course, BK.

*Guy Haines would have been in the pic too, but he was taking so fershuganally long in the loo... besides, he was sooo engrossed in a copy of Daily Variety he found left at the counter - he had his buried in it the whole evening.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2003, 08:40:30 AM »

That is the lot of a Global Moderator.  I do not like the ANGLE on that photo only because someone on the extreme left looks like a beached whale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up