Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 28447 times)

Ben

Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2003, 10:21:43 AM »

Turns out Anthony already saw the Cleopatra from 1913. He watched on Long Island on Sunday. He said it's basically a filmed version of a play about Cleopatra. It was filmed in NYC. He liked it and found parts of it very interesting but said it should have been run at a slightly faster speed because at points it seemed to drag.

Ben

« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2003, 10:22:48 AM »

I bumped us to page 4. Oh, Miss LuLu, from Connie Stevens (that was Connie wasn't it?) to Kitten with a Whip (I don't know if that's what it is literally but that's the image it brings to my mind). You must live quite a life down there in FL.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 10:23:12 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2003, 10:24:14 AM »

4 pages and 91 posts at 1:22PM EST. We may slow down for a day or two and have a lull now and then but we're still in a posting frenzy as I see it.

Ben

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2003, 10:26:26 AM »

I do doubt though that I can achieve 31 posts by the time I go to bed this evening. 100 just seems so much more doable than 130. But even then I'll be behind. JRand, don't you have a vacation to take? You too, TFO!  ;)

Ben

« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2003, 10:29:14 AM »

That goes for you too, Mr. Pulliam.

As Bette used to say

Get it? Got it? Good!

I'm sure someone said that before her, but I seem to remember her saying that in one of her concerts. It was when she was teaching the crowd the fake Hawaiian (kamana wanna lei u). Remember that, you Midler fans?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2003, 10:29:20 AM »

In my CD player:  Miss Rosemary Clooney's The Songbook Collection.  Six discs of sublime vocal artistry at its finest!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2003, 10:29:54 AM »

Ben: That was Joey Heatherton before.  I want to see if anybody recognizes the picture I've got there now before I make it public.  I bet at least one person will know who it is! ;)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2003, 10:31:27 AM »

Ben, you made my heart skip a beat.  For one terrible moment there, I thought Miss Bette Davis used to perform in concert!

Ben

« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2003, 10:31:41 AM »

Is that Betty and I can't remember her name to save my life? She was a B-star and there was a documentary made about her?

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2003, 10:34:02 AM »

Turns out Anthony already saw the Cleopatra from 1913. He watched on Long Island on Sunday. He said it's basically a filmed version of a play about Cleopatra. It was filmed in NYC. He liked it and found parts of it very interesting but said it should have been run at a slightly faster speed because at points it seemed to drag.

Thanks for the review Ben. I had meant to tape that when it was on, but forgot. I am thinking I didn't miss too much. But it does remind me that I need to open and watch my DVD of THE LIFE AND PASSION OF JESUS CHRIST which is a silent movie from 1905 and it also has a 1912 religious film on it as well. If have a wonderful Christmas DVD of silent holiday films. I highly recommend it if you have an interest in silent films at all. The DVD is titled CHRISTMAS PAST, I think.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 10:34:55 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2003, 10:36:16 AM »

MBarnum, was that run on Turner as a series of Christmas shorts? It seems to ring a bell. There are some wonderful pieces in the thing I saw on Turner. They probably transferred it to DVD.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2003, 10:36:28 AM »

Lulu, I do believe that is model Bettie Page isn't it?

Ben

« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2003, 10:37:49 AM »

MBarnum, that's just what I was going to say. As I left the site, the last name came to me. It is Betty (or Bettie, don't know) Page, isn't it?

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2003, 10:38:13 AM »

MBarnum, was that run on Turner as a series of Christmas shorts? It seems to ring a bell. There are some wonderful pieces in the thing I saw on Turner. They probably transferred it to DVD.

Yes, Ben, I think Turner Classic Movies did show them at about the time they were released on DVD. They have become a Christmas time viewing tradition for me now!

Ben

« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2003, 10:39:48 AM »

Here is the Web site for the person MBarnum and I guessed. BTW, it is Bettie.

http://www.bettiepage.com/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 10:40:12 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2003, 10:58:13 AM »

I vote for Bettie as well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2003, 10:59:27 AM »

Do you suppose Bettie and Annette ever shared wardrobes?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2003, 11:00:36 AM »

Bettie and Deborah Walley, maybe!

Ben

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2003, 11:00:48 AM »

I am spending far too much time here today. But then I went through an almost 2 and a half day withdrawal. I hope I can achieve TFO, JRand and Ron Pulliam status before I leave for vacation or I will never make it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2003, 11:13:59 AM »

I hope I can achieve TFO, JRand and Ron Pulliam status before I leave for vacation or I will never make it.

I am sure you can do it, Ben!  I wish I could take a vacation.  8)

Thank you, Mr Mark Bakalor!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 11:14:23 AM by JRand53 »

Lulu

« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2003, 11:15:52 AM »

Oh, you guys are GOOD!  LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2003, 11:19:45 AM »

We get around, Lulu! Ha!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2003, 11:23:53 AM »

Outside of town.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2003, 11:25:37 AM »

Wow!  You guys know Julie Kirgo?  She's one of the coolest, sweetest people.

Next time one of you speaks to her, say "Hello!" for me!

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2003, 11:29:01 AM »

DR Emily: I'd love to talk about Survivor with you. What did you think of next week's preview?

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2003, 11:31:23 AM »

COURTESY SURVIVOR TALK WARNING!!!!!!!

Btw, I do watch Survivor. But I thought last night's ousting was completely predictable. It actually really surprised me. Because usually you are not certain who will go. But this time I was 99.9% sure that the big ox was out. I mean they didn't leave much room for doubt, since we know Burton and Lill will always stick together.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2003, 11:32:31 AM »

DR MATT you were talking about Bette and Susan and Joey in Where Love Has Gone - which is a fun movie - but for my $$$$.....another actress who can match Susan word for word is Vera Miles in Back Street.

When Vera as Liz bids $10,000 for rae (Susan's) high fashion wedding dress and then says:  "Charge it to Mrs Paul Saxon and send it to MISS Rae Smith!")  Everybody should see this movie!  

Susan even has one outfit (courtesy Jean Louis) that matches the drapes in her living room!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2003, 11:33:27 AM »

Standing by for DVD playage:  "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" -- deluxe collector's edition with 40 extra minutes of footage, 6.1 DTS, and tons more!

On my VHS:  "Justine" (20th-Fox-1969, dir: G. Cukor, prod. Pandro S. Berman).  The first time I've seen this film and it's gorgeous (taped off Fox Movie Channel in widescreen stereo for me by a friend);  I've watched the first 44 minutes, so I'm not really sure where it's going (if it does go anywhere).  It was terribly ambitious, but the critics weren't kind.

Ready for my CD:  "The Blue Bird" -- original score by Alfred Newman, digitally mastered.

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2003, 11:35:04 AM »

DR Ben have you caught up to me yet?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2003, 11:36:16 AM »

In my DVD player:  "All the Queen's Men" with Matt LeBlanc.  I read on imdb.com that it's not too good, but I already rented it so I'm going to watch it.  

In my CD player at work:  The Boy From Oz with Hugh Jackman and Jarrod Emick.  A friend of mine worked with Jarrod when Jarrod was about twelve years old!

In my CD player at home:  nothing.   :'(  I was looking for two CDs of mine and I haven't been able to find them.  One was a Dame Enda Everage solo CD (to get me in the mood for "All the Queen's Men" and BK's "The Stephen Sondheim Album" also with Dame Edna.  I'm totally depressed about not being able to find them.  I've looked in every place in my apartment where I know I have CDs stashed.  I guess this means I REALLY have to clean my apartment to be able to find those CDs.  I hate that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up