Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE SAME PAGE  (Read 19689 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ON THE SAME PAGE
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 07:56:41 AM »

And one for Mahler.

FJL

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 08:09:03 AM »

Topic of the day -

Hard to pick one memorable person.  Among people I met once and never really met again, I'd have to rank Andy Rooney (I had booked him as a speaker for the law school speaker's  program and he couldn't have been nicer) and Stephen Sondheim (he was critiquing my work on an ASCAP panel), who were both amazing presences.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 08:11:52 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 08:09:47 AM »

The second season of SUPERMAN on DVD will be released on January 17, 2006.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 08:11:31 AM »

Well if the shoe was on the other foot, I am sure I am the MOST MEMORABLE person a LOT of people have ever met.

NOT!!!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »

DR JoseSPiano:

Enquiring minds want to know....

...what you think of the music for "Lestat"!!!!!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 08:19:29 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the Ahmanson.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 08:20:24 AM »

DR Dan (the Man):

C-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 08:33:30 AM »

Sorry I missed you, DR Vixmom. It got so lonely, I went to Amazon to browse and shop.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 08:34:27 AM »

And now, I must shower, shave, and dress for my lunch date.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 08:37:24 AM »

DR MattH: re: "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith":

I need to say straight off that "The Empire Strikes Back" is my favorite "Star Wars" movie bar none, with the original (now known as "A New Hope") a very close second.  I cannot stand "Return of the Jedi" and have not much use for the first two prequels.

"Star Wars: ROTS" is a wholly different film from the other two prequels and shares second place with "A New Hope" in my assessment.

I think it important to say that in the first two films (1977 and 1980), I continue to enjoy the films primarily because the characters and stories were nicely developed. I cared about Luke and Leia and Han very much.  The plot twists and turns in "The Empire Strikes Back" were stunning and exciting.

Since George embarked upon the prequels, I've found no character worthy of my interest.  That remains true, even having seen "Revenge of the Sith."  I want to like them!  Good golly, gee, but I do!  But I just can't relate to their oh-so-important concerns.  

Ewan McGregor is no Alec Guinness.  These films should have had plenty of Obi-Wan development, but there is none.  He just walks through the role.  His accent is pretty.  But there's no aura around him like that projected by Guinness whom you BELIEVED was a Jedi and a powerful one.  And he gets no chastisement for having forced the council to accept Annakin when the council was very much against bringing him in as a boy.

Natalie Portman has been pretty much wasted in these films, too.  She's pretty, but is given precious little character to develop.  I cared about Carrie Fisher.  She had a sardonic way of delivering a putdown, and then she could be all soft and sexy.  I felt her pain when Han was encased in carbonite. I barely felt a thing when Padme Amidala passed away.  Oh, well.

The less said about Hayden Christensens' apparent lack of acting talent the better.  He glowered nicely and the special makeup was fun, especially the yellow eyes...and the final transformation into Darth Vader.  He's a great mannequin, but the fewer lines he's given, the better he seems.  (You may be surprised to learn it, but the ONE character I truly took to was the boy Jake Lloyd who portrayed Annakin in "The Phantom Menace" -- compared to Christensen, he's Haley Joel Osment!).

I also admired Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn in "The Phantom Menace," but Lucas dispatched him without provocation and left us with McGregor.

Despite all this kvetching about not giving a whit about the characters, the movie works VERY WELL.  It's stunning to look at, it has a riveting story, and the action is breathtaking.  I was very much into what was going on.  

The movie belongs to Ian McDiarmid. He's BRILLIANT as Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious!  He should be remembered at Oscar time...not with just a nomination, either.

One curiousity: Yoda's last comments to Obi-Wan before they both went into exile.  Something about the spirit of Qui-Gon having returned from the netherworld...and Yoda offering to teach Obi-Wan how to communicate.  There's no point of reference anywhere else in the saga about this, so it seemed strange.  I guess it was a means for setting up Obi-Wan's exile as one of growth and introspection.

As for the DVD, it's stunning.  The sound is spectacular, to my ears.

The only thing that puzzles me, and won't be noticeable to anyone watching it anamorphically, is that names keep appearing on the upper black bar throughout the movie....Coleman, Lucas, Guyett, McCallum....all the names of men involved in the film. The names just flash up there for a few seconds and then disappear...and this goes on and on.  

It's most disconcerting and a puzzlement.

Oh, yes.  John Williams' score is flat-out gorgeous.

So...that's what I thought.

I'll be watching it again.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 09:07:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:13 AM »

Why am I all alone?

Have I scared everyone away?

Is someone trying to tell me something?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:30 AM »

And I am telling you,

I'm not going.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:40 AM »

Sigh.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2005, 09:13:05 AM »

Me

and

my shadow....

all alone

and feeling blue.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2005, 09:17:31 AM »

I see that DR Jane is lurking.

Jane, about the basmati.

I don't quite get the picture on how you prepare the rice after toasting it.

First, you put olive oil in a pan, heat it, add the rice (how much?) and toast it until each kernel can easily be cut in two.

Then you add water and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes?

How much water per quantity of rice? (is it like one cup of rice to two cups of water?)

And do you simmer it covered or uncovered?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 09:18:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 09:27:02 AM »

I was doing something else. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »

I need to run a Spyware check on my computer.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2005, 09:28:53 AM »

I am having trouble posting fpor some reason.  I keep getting thrown out of the site.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2005, 09:31:37 AM »

I am having trouble posting fpor some reason.  I keep getting thrown out of the site.

Did you forget to pay your dues?

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2005, 09:32:02 AM »

Of course, maybe the system doesn't want to catch the vixter's virus!

:D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2005, 09:35:36 AM »

Matt H if Bryan returns to Charlotte I will ask for some good restaurant suggestions.  I think he and his girlfriend should have gone to the market & purchased their own food to cook.  Bryan did make pasta one night but what he really missed where vegetables and tofu dishes.  Fortunately there is an excellent Chinese restaurant across from his place in Portland.  I think within minutes of returning home they were ordering food to go. ;D

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2005, 09:39:22 AM »

BK I called the Vixter and read your post of yesterday afternoon (about making her a star)

she said "I love that man! Will he be my manager when I grow up?"

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40:37 AM »

Of course, maybe the system doesn't want to catch the vixter's virus!

:D

That must be it!  ;D

though it seems to be working now....

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2005, 09:42:35 AM »

The building cafe had  chicken noodle soup today.  I am eating a big scrumciolicous bowl of it now. Chock full of chicken and carrots and nboodles , a little overdone on the celry and parsley, but other than that quite yummy in my tummy

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2005, 09:44:52 AM »

The building cafe had  chicken noodle soup today.  I am eating a big scrumciolicous bowl of it now. Chock full of chicken and carrots and nboodles , a little overdone on the celry and parsley, but other than that quite yummy in my tummy

Mmmmm...sounds good.  Maybe you could take some home to The Vixter!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2005, 09:45:12 AM »

I see that DR Jane is lurking.

Jane, about the basmati.

I don't quite get the picture on how you prepare the rice after toasting it.

First, you put olive oil in a pan, heat it, add the rice (how much?) and toast it until each kernel can easily be cut in two.

Then you add water and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes?

How much water per quantity of rice? (is it like one cup of rice to two cups of water?)

And do you simmer it covered or uncovered?

Since I make enough for several days I use two cups of basmati.  The amount of olive oil depends on my pouring skills at that moment-basically enough to coat the basmati when I add it to the heated olive oil and stir.  I continue stirring until the basmati is toasted.  

I don't cut the basmati, I break it in half with my fingers or forget that and just wait until the basmati looks toasted.  

I then add double the amount of water to basmati along with the salt.

Be careful not to let the pot boil over while it is simmering.  I cook it covered.  Since it tends to boil over I have a habit of opening the lid and checking on it.  I don't really keep the lid shut until it's simmering properly.

Did that help or did I confuse you more?  ;D

Jane

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2005, 09:48:24 AM »

Speaking of basmati, Joy, thank you for the suggestion.  I thought about purchasing a rice steamer while our kitchen is being remodeled.  We really don’t have the room for it and since I prefer my daily basmati toasted I doubt I would use the steamer much later on.  I am also loosing cabinet space & will have to get rid of kitchen a gadget so now isn’t the time to be purchasing new ones.  If I find I have room I might just get one and try your recipe for variety.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMILY!

Jane

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2005, 09:50:12 AM »

FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR THE VIXTER![/size]

I’m off to walk in the wind and rain.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2005, 09:50:38 AM »

I've met so many memorable people, it would be impossible to single out just one.

Re: Doug Sills.  I've had two encounters with him myself.  He did a staged reading of my Sherlock Holmes play, THE EBONY APE at the Stratford Theatre in Connecticut several years back and did a fantastic job as Holmes.  Unfortunately I was on a plane to London the night of the reading, so I did not get to attend it and heard a recording of it later.

But before a week before the reading, Doug called to ask me several things about the script and his character and we had a nice conversation.  We later met backstage at South Coast Rep after a performance of Much Ado About Nothing in which he played Benedick and was quite wonderful.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »

DR MattH, I have seen WIN A DATE WITH TAD HAMILTON and I really liked it. But it's a very girly romantic comedy (so I hesitate to recommend it to you). I don't remember any scenes with Sean Hayes and Nathan Lane.  Did they only have the one scene?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up