Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE SAME PAGE  (Read 20845 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ON THE SAME PAGE
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2005, 01:40:37 PM »

Natalie Portman can be an expressive actress, but I thought she was dreadful in STAR WARS II and only marginally better in STAR WARS III. Hayden Christiansen was horrible in II and really no better in III.

A friend believed that both actors are talented but they were saddled with Lucas' trite and laughable dialogue, and though I agree the dialogue is pretty feeble, couldn't talented actors have been less stiff and monotonous even if the writing was insufferable and the direction more interested in effects and mechanics than flesh and blood people? I think so.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »

Page 4 Highland Fling!!!

Jason

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2005, 01:51:52 PM »

DR Ben: I think, though I'm purely speculating, that DR Jose has himself a date tonight. At least that's what I remember hearing... I could be wrong, though.

Jason

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »

DR Ben: It would appear "The Poseidon Adventure" is out and "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is in for Dec. 1. But "Auntie Mame" is December 8!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2005, 02:03:45 PM »

Oh dear, this will not do.  2:00 p.m. on the left coast, and 5:00 p.m. New Yawk time; and still we haven't reached 100 posts.  We must post, and post again, as if our very lives depended on it (as I suspect they do).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2005, 02:08:35 PM »

I am afraid that I have been missing for the most part this last week or so, but I did want to tell everyone that I have been reading all of the notes and the the posts each and every day.

Jose, I am thrilled for you that you are living your dream!  Congratulations.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 02:32:08 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »

T.O.T.D.

I am tempted to say Michael Barnum, but I still doubt that it would get me a date with him, especially since I have no fire escape at my apartment (but I do have a balcony).  So......

I have told this story before, but without a doubt, my meeting and dining with Colleen Dewhurst tops my list of those most influential people that I have actaully met.  Colleen (she wouldn't allow me to call her Ms. Dewhurst) was a woman I considered to be one of the great actresses of the 20th century.  To actually meet her, and to spend so much time with her, talking about theater, Broadway, Eugene O'Neil, and many of her great leading men over the years was a memory that seems to good to have been true.  And I didn't have tto have anyone pinch me to prove it was real, her kiss goodbye was enough to prove that it had happened.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 02:32:49 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2005, 02:21:16 PM »

I am at work and just got back from a long lunch (I had to walk my niece's dog...she's not home).  Anyway, here at work, we're having a baby shower for a co-worker who (appropriately) had a baby a couple of months ago.  I'm involved in the party committee and have to help set up at 2:30.  The party goes "live" at 3:00.  I will also have to help clean up afterwards.  We're compiling songs with the word "baby" in them and I brought the OBC of Baby and the BK produced "Unsung Musicals" (disc #1) for the song "New Words."  I also brought my three stuffed Muppet Babies for decorations.  Others on the committee are bringing stuff animals and puppets for decoration.  It should all be great fun and not take too long...except for the setting and cleaning up.  

And that's my contribution to getting us to 100+ posts today. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2005, 02:26:05 PM »

I guess the most famous person I've ever met was Frank Capra, though he was so old when I interviewed him and so soft-spoken that I can't say that I was bowled over by him.

More impressive to me was Tony Randall whom I met when he did a regional performance as Harold Hill in THE MUSIC MAN, and he was superb, too. But Tony did not suffer fools gladly, and he kept me on my toes during the interview. He seemed to be impressed that I knew as much about his career as I did. He said most people knew him from THE ODD COUPLE and the Doris Day films, and that was it.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2005, 02:26:41 PM »

Well, it's only two more posts until we get to 100 so here's one of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2005, 02:27:03 PM »

And here's the other!!

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »

Sorry to read about several DRs not feeling well. Good wishes for improved health to all those that need them!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »

And now der Brucer is complaining of a queesy stomach.

Just another on the list.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2005, 02:34:27 PM »

We have SWIIIROTS on sale at the store.  When I first spotted it, I thought the price was just $12.99.  Nope, my glasses were blurry and we're charging $22.99.  Too much for my wallet this time around; I can wait.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »

We have SWIIIROTS on sale at the store.  When I first spotted it, I thought the price was just $12.99.  Nope, my glasses were blurry and we're charging $22.99.  Too much for my wallet this time around; I can wait.

S. Woody, when I read your post, I thought SWIIIROTS must be a new type of produce.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2005, 02:43:50 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD HEALTH VIBES[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]TO ONE AND ALL![/move]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »

Today I reached my 3,000 post.  Not to shabby, considering I can't post from work.  But still, I noticed that Woody is nearing his 6,000 post.  I remember the day that he first passed me on the list of top posters.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2005, 02:50:17 PM »

Whew!  I am exhuasted now.  What a fine minature frenzy!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 02:50:56 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »

I'm headed down now to clean the most difficult room in the house - the den with all the home theater equipment, etc.

WBBL after a full night of TV.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »

I'm glad to see we're well past 100 posts.

It has been a low-posting day, for sure.

TCB -- I see you have 3,400-plus posts...not just 3,000.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2005, 03:31:58 PM »

I wonder if MBarnum has risen from his nap yet and is watching his movie on white snakes????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2005, 03:33:19 PM »

Lunch was very delicious, and I got back home early enough to be able to get to the movie theater showing CAPOTE in plenty of time.

It's a truly wonderful film. Hoffman (Philip Seymour, not Dustin) is brilliant beyond belief, and Clifton Collins, Jr. playing Perry Smith is almost his equal. The give and take these two actors experience during this film is something for the books.

Catherine Keener as Harper Lee is also grounded and very good, and numerous other superb actors pop in for brief appearances, Bob Balaban and Chris Cooper among them.

I loved it.

Did anyone portray John Garfield????

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2005, 03:35:43 PM »

Natalie Portman can be an expressive actress, but I thought she was dreadful in STAR WARS II and only marginally better in STAR WARS III. Hayden Christiansen was horrible in II and really no better in III.

A friend believed that both actors are talented but they were saddled with Lucas' trite and laughable dialogue, and though I agree the dialogue is pretty feeble, couldn't talented actors have been less stiff and monotonous even if the writing was insufferable and the direction more interested in effects and mechanics than flesh and blood people? I think so.

I think the ability to portray earnestness would have benefited Hayden Christensen ENORMOUSLY, despite the lines.

The missed opportunity was to give Portman some wisecracks...or at least sarcasm, from time to time.  Leia must have gotten that talent from one of her parents, but it sure isn't on display with either Portman's or Christensen's characters.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2005, 03:44:16 PM »

I want some nboodles.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2005, 03:59:59 PM »

I wonder if MBarnum has risen from his nap yet and is watching his movie on white snakes????

I am indeed! Interesting movie...sort of a Chinese opera. I think the Japanese version will be more straight horror film.

However, the Japanese version has no subtitles, so I had to watch the Hong Kong version first so that I would have a clew, or a clue, as to what was going on!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 04:01:19 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2005, 04:02:02 PM »

JRand55, has your big box o'dvds arrived yet?

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2005, 04:02:28 PM »

TCB, you make me blush!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2005, 04:06:06 PM »

TCB makes statues blush.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2005, 04:07:40 PM »

I see that FOX is releasing a 2 disc DVD of CLEOPATRA in February. I remember when that movie would show on network television back in the 70s...I seem to recall enjoying it.

Also releasing from FOX is MAKING LOVE. Haven't seen that movie in many, many years...although I do have the VHS of it.....and volume 1 of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA! I hope that means that LAND OF THE GIANTS might follow eventually.

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2005, 04:08:19 PM »

LOL, DR Ron.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up