Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO 2006  (Read 57166 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:COUNTDOWN TO 2006
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2005, 07:25:02 PM »

The Topics du jour this week are really demonstrating how little I have been doing with my life recently.

I only saw one new movie in 2005 and that was HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (although I liked yesterday's title of THE TEMPLE OF DOOM, too).

The only television show I watch on a regular basis, other than MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, is GHOST WHISPERER.  I missed too much of the first half of LOST this year to figure out what is going on now, and I tried watching DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, but I am afraid I found it dumb.

I should say that MTV2"s HIGH SCHOOL STORIES is my favorite TV show, even though I have never watched it yet (I am waiting for the new season to start in January).

And unfortunately, if I tried to make a Top Ten list of plays and musicals; you would quickly figure out that I was in all of them.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2005, 07:46:26 PM »

Eagerly awaiting DR TCB's MTV debut!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2005, 07:48:11 PM »

I watched MYSTERIOUS ISLAND last night - and even though I think Joan Greenwood is terrible, I like the rest of it.  
Bernard Herrmann's scores for ISLAND, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, and the JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS films have some remarkable similarities....even heard a bit of NORTH BY NORTHWEST and PSYCHO in this 1961 flick.

Michael Craig and Michael Callan are very easy on the eyes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2005, 07:50:06 PM »

Chinese Shar-pei....would have been a great gift....but it is not to be.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2005, 08:06:19 PM »

Enjoyed the last half hour of STOWAWAY especially Alice Faye's delectable "One Never Knows, Does One?" If Darryl Zanuck had any doubts about her star potential, her performance in this film had to have convinced him to give her some films of her own. Within two years, she was in the box-office Top Ten along with darling Shirley.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2005, 08:08:16 PM »

Then I watched another episode of CSI: NY from the DVD set. This one concerned an NYC tunnel digger who was found dead after a blast. The murderer's identity was a total surprise.

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2005, 08:10:31 PM »

The HOUSE rerun tonight guest starred LL Cool J. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but he was at the performance of THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE which I attended this past August.

At any rate, he played a death row inmate sent to House's hospital with a mysterious illness setting up the conundrum of curing the man so he could be sent back to be executed. Good show.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »

Very much enjoyed THE CLOSER. Kyra Sedgwick certainly carries the show on her tiny shoulders with the greatest of ease. And I'll look forward to getting to know the members of her squad as the season progresses.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2005, 08:15:13 PM »

I enjoyed this year's Kennedy Center Honors.  I never read up on the event when it actually occurs, so I'm always surprised by the honoring entertainers, and this year's crew were pretty much choice.

The show is also a sad reminder of the lack of variety shows on TV.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2005, 08:23:24 PM »

As of now, I have no plans tomorrow for leaving the house, so I'm thinking I will have time to watch a real movie tomorrow on DVD. It seems like forever since I got to one.

Now, what it will be is anyone's guess, but if I had to say right this second, it's probably going to be THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY. I remember that the DVD got good reviews on its transfer, so I'm expecting it to look really wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: December 27, 2005, 08:24:23 PM »

And now, I think I'm going to turn in a bit earlier than usual. I didn't sleep very late this morning at all, and I'm feeling tired now.

Good night, everyone!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2005, 08:41:33 PM »

Beaver Fanatic Department (AKA get your mind out of the gutter, TCB, Department):  A good friend of mine moved back to Corvallis, a sleepy little college town (Oregon State University), whose school mascot is the Beaver.  Katie was an OSU grad.  She set up a very successful local business and several people asked her to run for City Council, which was at that point populated entirely by aging males, all of them incredibly University of Oregon alumni (the Ducks).  So Katie agreed to run and chose this classic as her campaign slogan:

[size=8][move=left,scroll,7,transparent,100%]LET'S PUT A BEAVER ON THE CITY COUNCIL!![/move][/size]

She lost.  In a landslide.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 08:42:15 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2005, 08:56:05 PM »

Thank you for all the mother-in-law vibes.  She's a fighter and is getting good care, but at age 89 can use all the vibes that come her way.

Back from seeing the Geisha movie with 9 girlfriends.  Some had read the book, some not, and some (including me) are in the process of reading it.  We all enjoyed the movie, but I'm going to continue reading, because there were some scenes that needed clarification that I think the book will provide.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2005, 08:56:47 PM »

JMK, ROTFLMAO! ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 08:57:16 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2005, 09:00:17 PM »

DR Cillaliz - hope your niece arrived safely and that the two of you are having fun, fun, fun (an Eloise reference).  We brought tears to the eyes of our 17-year-old niece with our Christmas present to her, which an elf named Jose is helping us procure.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2005, 09:03:36 PM »

Ohhh...

And if you happen to stop by the gambling boats in Gary, IN....

Roulette: 8, 11, 8/11, 22, 26, 22/26

;D

I'm not sure if a trip to Chicago is still in the mix, but I am very curious to visit a gambling boat.  I want to play nickel slots, but I'll pass the numbers along to Rodzinski.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2005, 09:04:09 PM »

What am I talking about, we have to go to Chicago.  I can't miss out on Marshall Fields before it becomes Macys!

Ginny

« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2005, 09:05:44 PM »

DR TPunk - welcome to the Midwest!  Sounds like you & DR Rodzinski are having fun in our neighboring state to the west.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2005, 09:24:15 PM »

DR TPunk - welcome to the Midwest!  Sounds like you & DR Rodzinski are having fun in our neighboring state to the west.

We are having a good time.  Mostly we've been sticking close to home and hanging with him family, but I'm looking forward to exploring more of the surrounding area in the days to come.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2005, 09:25:53 PM »

We saw Syriana today and I was correct in my prediction that it should be on my top 10 movie list.

Kind of depressing and overwhelming, but very well done and an important topic, however "fictionalized" the circumstances were.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2005, 09:26:38 PM »

I think I have gained a few pounds so far on this visit.  We finished dinner 2 hours ago and I still feel stuffed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2005, 10:18:51 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... Getting back in gear after just one day off can sometimes take some "effort"... And after three days off...  Well...

;)

Actually, we had a very good show tonight.  No real snafus.  The audience, however, was a little strange.  They laughed at thing that don't normally get laughs, and some of the more obvious jokes fell flat.  Must have been all that Christmas turkey and ham!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2005, 10:20:12 PM »

...And one of the board members happened to drop off a box of cookies from one of the oldest bakeries in DC.  -Of course, the name escapes me right now.  Alas, they were too tempting to resist...

But they were so worth the indulgence.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »

OH!

And I have six words for all DRs:

Ghirardelli Chocolate Limited Edition Peppermint Bark

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2005, 10:24:51 PM »

What am I talking about, we have to go to Chicago.  I can't miss out on Marshall Fields before it becomes Macys!

OH!  I totally forgot that was in the works.  Here in the DC area, the Hecht's stores were also bought out by May/Macy's.  Of course, most of the malls that have a Hecht's already have a Macy's, so they'll be doing some creative shuffling and reorganizing.  I believe Tysons Corner (Tysons I) and Tysons Galleria (Tysons II) will now both have a Macy's.

*In Richmond, the Hecht's/Macy's is divided between two locations in one mall.  It's actually kind of cool.  One location specializes in men's clothing and furnishings and furniture, and the other concentrates on women's clothing and furnishings, housewares and linens.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2005, 10:28:56 PM »

I'm not sure if a trip to Chicago is still in the mix, but I am very curious to visit a gambling boat.  I want to play nickel slots, but I'll pass the numbers along to Rodzinski.

Actually, now that I think of it...

If you can find a dollar table, put $1.00 on 5/8, 8, 8/11, 11, 22 and 25, 26, 27 and $2.00 on 22/23/25/26.  *I forgot that the 22/26 was a four-corner deal.  -That will be an even $10.00.  If you win, I'll split with you.  If you don't win, I'll take you out for a burger when I get back to NYC.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 10:34:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2005, 10:30:17 PM »

...And I also got some "news" from a couple of family members today...  Let's just say it's sort of nice to know that I'm actually the "normal" one now.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2005, 10:30:49 PM »

Well, I have understudy and brush-up rehearsal in about 12 hours, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2005, 10:42:34 PM »

I just had to share this with Keith, a true Beaver fanatic.  

I'm not touching this with a ten-foot Pole or even a five-foot Czech.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »

Rehearsal was, as expected, herky-jerky, with lots of paraphrasing, but we got through it.  My assistant noted every wrong word down to the tiniest Uhs and I means, and we've gone over everything.  Now we can start focusing on the energy and the timing and the moments.

Our new special effects person delivered our "gags" tonight - one of them will work exactly as I'd envisioned, and one is quite different and requires some restaging, but ultimately I think we're fine now.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up