Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NICE MAN COMETH  (Read 18743 times)

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE NICE MAN COMETH
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »

I'm on my way out to see Match Point, the new Woody Allen film.

That is, if I can get in. I refuse to stand in a long line for over an hour.

Laters!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2006, 07:22:50 PM »

The Hard Rock Cafe, Philadelphia, was the best choice we could have made for our post-theater meal.  Basically a burgers joint with a pretty decent bar and a rock memorabilia theme, we had onion rings, nachos, and burgers, except for me (decent fajitas) and the lads (spaghetti for William, who will eat almost anything, and a small pepperoni pizza for Alex, who eats amost nothing.)

We had a great server, knowledgable both in how to work a table and Rock and Roll.  Good combination, given where he works.

Which brings us back to one of the real problems: Alex's eating habits.  I don't know what kind of breakfast he had.  I can report that, after we left their house in Maryland (about 10:00 or so), der B and I witnessed him consume:

A candy bar
A Coke
One onion ring (with ketchup)
Three french fries (no ketchup)
Two bites of his pizza, and one piece of pepperoni
(removed from said pizza)
One piece of hard candy
One cupcake
And half of an ice cream cone.

This is a kid eight-and-a-half years old!  And he's in the middle of a growth spurt!  And all he's consuming is sugar and easily-converted-to-sugar starches!

And his parents are allowing this!  "Well, you can't expect a kid to eat what he doesn't want to!" is Mommy's explanation.  (Daddy rolls his eyes at this, but has been worn down too far to fight her by now.)

This is a kid who gets top grades, and is regarded at his school as an absolute phenomenon.  But he will not eat!

And no, it doesn't help when I compare how Mommy feeds him (big joke) with how my own mother took care of me.  Mommy works, and cannot be expected to cook a decent meal for her children.  (Actually, it's Daddy who does most of the cooking, she just doesn't control Alex at the table, or can't be bothered.)

The red flags are flying, and der Grampa and I are not at all happy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »

How did we ever get to page four?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2006, 07:36:08 PM »

TOY: Car CD Player: Bette Midler Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook

Personally, I'm glad the Divine One has started this series of tribute discs.  While they are no substitute for the original recordings, I believe her when she says it is her intention to honor Miss Clooney and, more recently, Miss Lee.

That having been said, I think the tribute to Miss Peggy Lee is a better match for the Divine One's style.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:38:03 PM by S. Woody White »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2006, 07:42:38 PM »

DR SWoody: My 10-year-old buddy eats only chicken nuggets and fries and Dr. Pepper. Breakfast is bacon, sausage, one-half of a pancake (in that order). He eats very little, and he is obese.

I took his 6-year-old brother to the zoo this week, and we had a delightful time. He ate eggs and pancakes (no breakfast meats). He happily tried a new restaurant for lunch and a new (to him) food and loved it. And he did not drop the binoculars in the lake.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2006, 07:45:33 PM »

**GASP***

DR JMK I am looking at your pictures and hearing Melanie and Graham Nash in the background.

Funny, I think they were in the background at the Dead house.  It was awfully big!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2006, 07:46:10 PM »

I'm back from SOUVENIR, and I've caught a chill.  I can't stop shaking and I'm going to bed.  I hope I feel better tomorrow!

G'night!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »

Get well vibes, Elmore!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2006, 08:02:51 PM »

I am very proud of myself at this moment.  I have managed to properly rip, edit, and fade several tracks and am in the process of uploading them to my site as I type.  These are all jazz/world things, but I will be uploading some theater music soon, including tunes from my version of Reefer Madness, as well as my Frances/Judy musical Starcrossed (with performances by the inimitable Susannah Mars) within a couple of days.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:04:07 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2006, 08:04:02 PM »

DR Jrand55, did your kurta arrive yet?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »

Today is National Tempura Day.

Today is also Fruitcake Toss Day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »

That having been said (or written, to be more precise), it is time for this spare to head to bed.  I am unavoidably a wussburger.

With horseradish and cumquat sauce.

:P

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »

Good evening!

Back from a long day away from home. I spent about 2 hours calibrating and clearing up the set-up mess on the neighbor's HDTV. He had bought this top of the line HDTV and couldn't understand why the picture was crappy. He wasn't watching high definition for one thing; didn't even know the high def channels were farther down on the cable box listing. The DVD player was not set up for a widescreen TV or for progressive scan, and on and on and on.

He was so astonished by the picture when we finally got everything right (the first late afternoon NFL game on ABC was on) that he said he now saw the TV was worth the investment. He had been thinking he had wasted his money.

I played some of THE INCREDIBLES for the man and his wife, too, and they couldn't get over the difference in the picture. She had rented THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN for them to watch tonight. (I figured he'd want to watch another HD football game instead but said nothing.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »

My friend John and his family, and I went out to dinner and then came back to his house for cordials and watched a QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY episode waiting for MILLION DOLLAR BABY to come on HBO-HD.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2006, 08:52:05 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the shows...  Good, and Good.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2006, 08:53:28 PM »

And the Redskins win helped to get the cast through the second show.  Everyone, including myself, seemed to be a little tired tonight.  -And two more tomorrow.  But, again, we had good shows today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2006, 08:53:47 PM »

MILLION DOLLAR BABY was a noble effort. Nothing flashy, very spare and effecient filmmaking. Maybe the movie would have affected me more had I not already known about the last third of the movie. Wonderful performances all around.

Be that as it may, I couldn't help feeling that either THE AVIATOR or SIDEWAYS might have been my choice for the Best Picture Oscar last year rather than this. They're all well made and interesting films. THE AVIATOR was much bigger and flashier, but with that size and sizzle came some overdone sections and yet other sections that didn't dig deep enough to be fully satisfying.

SIDEWAYS and MILLION DOLLAR BABY had simplicity on their side, so it's not surprising the awards went as they did.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2006, 08:54:12 PM »

So how many more posts until we pass the dreaded all time low?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »

...Hmm... What's that I hear...

Hmm...

Sounds like the buzz of the bitch-slapping machine as it's warming up.

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2006, 08:56:39 PM »

DR SWW - Thanks for saying Hi to Donna for me.

*And I'm glad you had a "good" day today too.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2006, 08:57:10 PM »

Sad to say, though, that I didn't get much chance to watch stuff on my TV today. I did get through THE GANG'S ALL HERE this morning. It looked beautiful even though I thought the flesh tones were a tad too pink. But the transfer is obviously going to be the one Fox will use for the DVD issue of the film slated for this year. It was without a speck or scratch, and the FMC used the stereo track to pipe sound through the three front speakers.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2006, 08:57:50 PM »

All time low is 122, so we have a ways to go yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »

Argh! I just heard the clock strike midnight, and I have got to get to bed! I only got 5 hours last night due to having the actor's nightmare, so hopefully, I'll be out like a light the second my head hits the pillow.

Good night.

FJL

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »

Internet Explorer is acting up again, so trying to post through AOL.  If you're reading this message, it worked.  :)

FJL

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »

All right, it worked!  I've been a "Guest" at various times during the day, now I'm legitimate again.

FJL

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2006, 09:09:31 PM »

Health vibes to elmore.  Hope you're feeling better in the morning!

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2006, 09:13:16 PM »

Hello all. Man we have to get some posts on here!

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2006, 09:14:27 PM »

Health vibes to all who need them.  I'm just about over this crud. It isn't any fun and I'm very whiny when I'm sick

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2006, 09:15:02 PM »

Hey, I only need 8 posts to get to 1600....ok

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2006, 09:15:54 PM »

Let's see. I didn't get much done today. I did sort through all my receipts etc for the last year to start getting a ball park idea on taxes.  I was pleasantly surprised
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up