Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: DOWN TO THE WIRE  (Read 23037 times)

Jennifer

Re:DOWN TO THE WIRE
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2006, 08:26:12 AM »

And I thought he had star quality to burn. I felt his charisma made Tom Welling look sluggish and doughy by comparison, and I'm not just talking about his physique.

A great actor? No way, but playing Aquaman I'm not sure would require one.

So to star in a tv show you can have star quality but few acting skills? :)

Actually I didn't really find the aquaguy we saw that physically stunning.  I mean he did definitely have a nice physique.  But his scenes with Lois didn't really grab me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2006, 08:26:19 AM »

Am I the only one here who thinks this sounds awesome?

Julia Murney and Jason Robert Brown to Star in One-Night-Only L.A. Reprise! Production of The Last 5 Years

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/7450

I know TPunk would be all about that. She loves that show.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2006, 08:27:07 AM »

Welcome to the new folks!!!

And hello to PennyO!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2006, 08:31:13 AM »

Did you ever see THE DUKES OF HAZARD?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2006, 08:32:01 AM »

Having lunch with a friend so much jump in the shower and get ready.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2006, 08:32:28 AM »

Welcome to Sarah and Michelle.  All we need now is Gellar.

PennyO, a woman's point of view on set dressing is always interesting.  :)

Rodzinski, this is the week from hell for me, with a bunch of gigs, but I'll dub your movie ASAP and get it off to you, promise.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2006, 08:32:59 AM »

Actually I didn't really find the aquaguy we saw that physically stunning.  I mean he did definitely have a nice physique.  But his scenes with Lois didn't really grab me.

I agree with you, Jennifer.  Nobody on that show has ever made Tom Welling look bad in any way.

I'm thinking this is a matter of horses for courses.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2006, 08:33:38 AM »

Welcome to Sarah and Michelle.  All we need now is Gellar.

Would Gelman do?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2006, 08:36:39 AM »

I really think this is the best way to premiere a new show.  You have to put it after something that many people are watching.  Look at what it did for Grey's Anatomy.

On the other hand, "Grey's AnatomY' is a high-quality show.  It's not a case of a weak show riding the coattails of its better>

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »

Re: the L5Y (last 5 years)

I know TPunk would be all about that. She loves that show.

Wow, how cool is that.  I love the show too! (although i've only heard the cast recording). I really like Julia Murney though, so I think this could be neat.  Although I'm very curious to know if Jason Robert Brown can act. I wonder why he is doing the show himself?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2006, 08:37:41 AM »

Welcome, newbies!

I must say again how much I enjoyed the play last night. And, no, I did not notice anyone "off" or "thrown by someone else's off-ness" - which is more a tribute to the writing than anything else. The storytelling is masterful.  I think it doesn't matter WHO plays these characters very much, beyond a certain technical competence and adequate chops. One set, three characters easy to cast, minimal tech requirements, plays under 2 hours with intermission - I think it will make the rounds of ALL the smaller theaters within 5 years. And should play off-Broadway for season after season. With or without stars in the roles.  It's an audience-grabber and an audience HOLDER - and what the first act promises, the second act delivers.
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2006, 08:38:21 AM »

Did you ever see THE DUKES OF HAZARD?

No.  But I've seen both of them in things post that show and I think they can act (at least now).

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2006, 08:41:49 AM »

Thanks for the Welcomes!!

I have been reading some of the other threads before I get ready for work and you all are quite entertaining...

I envy those of you who live in an area where you can get theater. It is something I crave and do not get the opportunity to see.

As for telly, unless you have cable in the part of the country, you are lucky if you get one or two channels. I get two: NBC and PBS. I do get ABC on a good day provided the sun, moon and stars are aligned properly.

There are aspects of the Coen Brothers movie, that aptly describe this area.... Sad I know!!   ;D
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »

On the other hand, "Grey's AnatomY' is a high-quality show.  It's not a case of a weak show riding the coattails of its better>

I didn't mean to imply that Grey's Anatomy was not good.  I just meant that it is very hard to get people to watch new shows.  And I really believe that premiering it after Desperate Housewives was one of the big reasons the show caught on.

Crumbs got very good ratings here in the paper.   But even if people tune in, if it's bad then people probably won't continue to watch!  It has to be decent AND you have to find a way to get people to watch the first episodes.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »

Welcome, newbies!

I must say again how much I enjoyed the play last night. And, no, I did not notice anyone "off" or "thrown by someone else's off-ness" - which is more a tribute to the writing than anything else. The storytelling is masterful.  I think it doesn't matter WHO plays these characters very much, beyond a certain technical competence and adequate chops. One set, three characters easy to cast, minimal tech requirements, plays under 2 hours with intermission - I think it will make the rounds of ALL the smaller theaters within 5 years. And should play off-Broadway for season after season. With or without stars in the roles.  It's an audience-grabber and an audience HOLDER - and what the first act promises, the second act delivers.

I wish I could see it. I have heard it is excellent.... Kudos to the writer and the actors who are bringing it to life. Their hardwork has paid off
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2006, 08:44:31 AM »

There are aspects of the Coen Brothers movie, that aptly describe this area.... Sad I know!!   ;D

Well, if "Fargo" is one of them, I'm envious!

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »

I was just reading Playbill.com and saw that "Li'l Abner" will be presented by Goodspeed from April 21 til sometime in July.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »

Yes, Fargo....

I was actually an extra, uncredited, in it... It was fun...

There is a 7ft tall statue of Marge Gunderson standing outside of the FArgo Theatre in Fargo, ND

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2006, 08:49:58 AM »

I didn't mean to imply that Grey's Anatomy was not good.  I just meant that it is very hard to get people to watch new shows.  And I really believe that premiering it after Desperate Housewives was one of the big reasons the show caught on.

I didn't take that implication...sorry I made it seem I did.  It's just that so many new shows are introduced that way.

There is no guarantee "Grey's Anatomy" would have survived had it not been for its following "Desperate Housewives"...but its quality IS second to none on broadcast TV.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2006, 08:56:22 AM »

Yes, Fargo....

I was actually an extra, uncredited, in it... It was fun...

Tell us where, exactly, to find you!!!!

There is a 7ft tall statue of Marge Gunderson standing outside of the FArgo Theatre in Fargo, ND

FUNNY!  You betcha!

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2006, 08:58:02 AM »

Welcome Dakotacelt! Glad you have joined us!

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2006, 08:58:52 AM »

Furnace man will be at my home environment between 1pm and 4pm.

I am sure hoping to have heat again.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2006, 09:03:13 AM »

THe Buffalo Commons aka ND its poster child!  I live in the part of the state that actually has residents! The western part of the state actually has more cows than people... ;D

They have a food thing up here that some people like... It is called Lutefisk [codfish soaked in lye]. I will not touch it with a 10 foot pole. It is the most foul thing I have ever seen...

I have seen one professional theatrical production of Shakespeare that I loved. It was "A Midsummer's Night Dream" IT was great. Love Shakespeare!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2006, 09:04:21 AM »

Tell us where, exactly, to find you!!!!FUNNY!  You betcha!

Will try and get a pic of Marge this weekend for your amusements....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »

Welcome to DakotaCelt and Michelle.

I have to get a glath from the kitchen.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2006, 09:12:18 AM »

There.  It was such great news that DECEIT went so well last night, and sending good vibes for a terrific final preview this evening!

Butt cracks.....well we did the ButtCracker Ballet with a bunch of plumbers during a Christmas show a few years ago.  The dance of the sugar plum plungers was quite a hit.

And some DR's have been talking about The Hard Nut which is so much fun.  I haven't seen it in a few years, but I remember liking it very much.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2006, 09:13:48 AM »

JMK-No rush on that whatsoever. I am having a tough time locating extra copies of my stuff right now, so no worries.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »

TOD:

this was my avatar last year.

Frances Farmer's "autobiography" released two years after her death.  Stunning use of photo manipulation on the cover.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »

And of course there was this:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2006, 09:22:57 AM »

Which leads to this:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up